PDA

View Full Version : Looking way, way ahead to 8/8.

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 08:32 AM
As a long long time Sox fan I know the perils of looking ahead. However, I think things will continue to go our way for the next three months.But darn it, I wish the Twins were not so tough (best 2nd place record in AL). The schedule looks great until 8/8 to 8/25. This has to be the most decisive period in my opinion and it is also just a brutal piece of scheduling. I think this is where it's won or lost this year.

8/8at N.Y. Yankees6:05 p.m. CSN
8/9at N.Y. Yankees6:05 p.m. CSN
8/10at N.Y. Yankees12:05 p.m. WGN
8/12at Boston6:05 p.m. CSN
8/13at Boston6:05 p.m. WGN
8/14at Boston1:05 p.m. CSN
8/15Minnesota7:05 p.m. WCIU
8/16Minnesota7:05 p.m. CSN
8/17Minnesota7:05 p.m. CSN
8/19N.Y. Yankees7:05 p.m. WGN
8/20N.Y. Yankees12:15 p.m. FOX
8/21N.Y. Yankees2:05 p.m. CSN
8/23at Minnesota7:10 p.m. WCIU
8/24at Minnesota7:10 p.m. CSN
8/25at Minnesota12:10 p.m. CSN

The Racehorse
05-22-2005, 08:46 AM
The Yankees & BoSox are the ones who should be worried when looking ahead, not us... [rhetorical question] which stiff are they gonna run out to the mound when we play them?

cubhater
05-22-2005, 08:55 AM
As a long long time Sox fan I know the perils of looking ahead. However, I think things will continue to go our way for the next three months.But darn it, I wish the Twins were not so tough (best 2nd place record in AL). The schedule looks great until 8/8 to 8/25. This has to be the most decisive period in my opinion and it is also just a brutal piece of scheduling. I think this is where it's won or lost this year.

8/8at N.Y. Yankees6:05 p.m. CSN
8/9at N.Y. Yankees6:05 p.m. CSN
8/10at N.Y. Yankees12:05 p.m. WGN
8/12at Boston6:05 p.m. CSN
8/13at Boston6:05 p.m. WGN
8/14at Boston1:05 p.m. CSN
8/15Minnesota7:05 p.m. WCIU
8/16Minnesota7:05 p.m. CSN
8/17Minnesota7:05 p.m. CSN
8/19N.Y. Yankees7:05 p.m. WGN
8/20N.Y. Yankees12:15 p.m. FOX
8/21N.Y. Yankees2:05 p.m. CSN
8/23at Minnesota7:10 p.m. WCIU
8/24at Minnesota7:10 p.m. CSN
8/25at Minnesota12:10 p.m. CSN

It doesn't get much tougher than this stretch but it's all good as long as we win the Twins series.

Every team gets tough scheduling throughout the season and the Twins have their fair share too.

gobears1987
05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Why should we worry about the Yankmes? Kevin Brown sucks, RJ sucks, they are overrated. As for the BoSox, Schilling won't be the same pitcher he was assuming he plays at all, Wakefield sucks, David Wells is a fat drunk. We beat them at Fenway last year minus Frank and Maggs and with an average pitching staff. As for the Twinkies, we can handle them. Radke is showing his true colors this year, Santana is struggling, we are beating Lohse for once, and we own Silva. We are 4-1 against them and we will have Frank back. I feel that this stretch is going to be to the 2005 season what the Cleveland/NY roadtrip was to 2000.

DumpJerry
05-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Why should we worry about the Yankmes? Kevin Brown sucks, RJ sucks, they are overrated. As for the BoSox, Schilling won't be the same pitcher he was assuming he plays at all, Wakefield sucks, David Wells is a fat drunk. We beat them at Fenway last year minus Frank and Maggs and with an average pitching staff. As for the Twinkies, we can handle them. Radke is showing his true colors this year, Santana is struggling, we are beating Lohse for once, and we own Silva. We are 4-1 against them and we will have Frank back. I feel that this stretch is going to be to the 2005 season what the Cleveland/NY roadtrip was to 2000.
Yeah.....what Gobears said.....:smile:

soxfanreggie
05-22-2005, 01:08 PM
But who will they have bought in between? What pitcher will they have paid millions for? What hitters will they have brought in? You never know who you'll face on the Yankees in the 2nd half, just know they'll be talented and expensive (just hope they stink when they're in pinstripes).

If we can finish above .500 in that span from 8/8 to 8/25 we should definitely be making the playoffs. That's finishing above .500 with 9 road games and 6 home games...however our real tough challenge might be when we head out west...we never play as well there.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-22-2005, 01:24 PM
by august, the red sox and yankees will be very, very exhausted. both teams were off to so-so starts with injuries all over the place. right now, at least 3 teams in that division are very tough (bosox, yanks, o's). they also have 1 very competitive team (blue jays) and 1 horrible team (d-rays). we have one other really good team (minnesota). we also have 2 very competitive teams (tigers and indians) and 1 very bad team (royals). so our division is a little easier to go through while the east is a beast.

by august 8th the yankees will have played the red sox 6 times and the 5 orioles times. they also have 3 against STL, 7 against the angels and 6 against minnesota. thats 27 games against very, very good competition. and then guess who they face on 8/8? the best team in baseball.

as for the red sox, they have the following schedule;
7 vs. yankees
8 vs. orioles
3 vs. stl
3 vs. laa
6 vs. minn
4 vs. chw in chicago in july
that equals to 31 very tough games before 8/8.

whats my point? in short, both teams will have been tested a lot and will be ripe for the picking. why do i feel the sox won't be in the same situation? its not mainly because of out sechedule its because of the type of baseball we play. little hits here and there and solid pitching. the yanks and bosox rely on big bats coming through and when those big bats go to sleep, we all saw what could happen with that awful yankees start (11-19). another advantage we have is that both of these teams have older pitching staffs that are very vulnerable to injuries.

i like our chances during that streak. minnesota has been the team to look out for but look at their schedule between today and 8/8;
6 vs. yankees
3 @ dodgers
3 vs. padres
7 vs. laa
3 vs. bal
6 vs. bos
thats 28 very tough games for the twinkies.

the white sox have a tough end to this month, a rather easy june and july, and, obviously, a tough august. but by august, we could make some more room between us and the twins in the standings.