PDA

View Full Version : Lineup when Frank comes back?

chisox1388
05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm thinking:

1.Pod
2.Iguchi
3.Thomas
4.Konerko
5.Pierzinski
6.Dye
7.Rowand
8.Uribe
9.Crede

Though, I wonder if Ozzie will drop Pierzinski back down. I hope not because I think AJ could be having a career year.

Also, what is the opinion on McCarthy and whether or not he will be sent down regardless of his performance when El Duque comes back.

soxfanreggie
05-22-2005, 12:05 AM
My question is, will Thomas start out in the 3-hole? This is a Frank Thomas who I believe will produce no matter where we put him; however, will he start in the 3-hole or be in a 5th-6th spot til he shows he can hit well there. I trust Ozzie to put him where he thinks Frank will be best...which might very well be the 3 spot since Konerko and Dye are struggling, although they're coming out of their slumps now.

Navaro's Talent
05-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes, I'm pretty sure Frank will start in the three hole. Even a struggling Frank is still a threat. The guy takes lots of pitches, walks a ton of times and can certainly hit the ball hard enough for a sacrifice fly. Pitchers fear Frank more than any other hitter in the lineup, so he's the perfect guy to have there. Pods, Iguchi and Konerko will all see better pitches to hit with Frank in the three hole.

SOXfnNlansing
05-22-2005, 12:18 AM
1 pods 2 goochy 3 arow 4 thomas 5 aj 6 pk 7 dye 8 crede 9 uribe or alternate lineup 1 pods 2 arow 3 crazy carl 4 pk 5 aj 6 dye 7 uribe 8 crede 9 willie

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 12:53 AM
1. Pods LF-obvious
2. Iguchi 2B-obvious
3. Thomas DH-obvious
4. Rowand CF-I don't want to see Konerko directly behind Thomas because of speed isues.
5. Konerko 1B- You could flip flop dye or konerko depending on who is hitting better
6. Dye RF
7. Pierzynski C-You could flip flop dye and A.J. depending on who is swinging the bat better
8. Crede 3B
9. Uribe SS

fquaye149
05-22-2005, 07:05 AM
1. Pods LF-obvious
2. Iguchi 2B-obvious
3. Thomas DH-obvious
4. Rowand CF-I don't want to see Konerko directly behind Thomas because of speed isues.
5. Konerko 1B- You could flip flop dye or konerko depending on who is hitting better
6. Dye RF
7. Pierzynski C-You could flip flop dye and A.J. depending on who is swinging the bat better
8. Crede 3B
9. Uribe SS

that's nice that this is the lineup you would make, but you do realize rowand will not be hitting ahead of paulie, right?

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 07:28 AM
This would be an ideal time to trade him. See Sunday Sun Times.

RKMeibalane
05-22-2005, 09:12 AM

That was an interesting article, but I have to wonder what the Angels would give the Sox in return. They have a 1B prospect named Casey Kotchman, who has drawn comparisons to Will Clark and Rafeal Palmeiro because of his near-perfect left-handed swing, but they don't appear interested in trading him.

Regardless, the Angels would have a nice lineup with Frank and Vlad in there, when he returns from the shoulder injury.

1B- Darrin Erstad
CF- Steve Finley
RF- Vladamir Guerrero
DH- Frank Thomas
LF- Garret Anderson
3B- Dallas McPherson
SS- Orlando Cabrera
C- Benji Molina
2B- Adam Kennedy

The only real question mark in this lineup is McPherson, another highly regarded prospect in the Angels' system. Everyone else is at least solid at the plate.

HawkISox
05-22-2005, 09:43 AM
The Angels could use Carl for the same reasons as the ST article listed. I like Carl OK, but Frank has BEEN the White Sox for the last 15 years. I just can't imagine him in another uniform.

That being said, I can't see the point of having him AND Carl both. Carl just can't play that much OF.

Something has got to give.

Spicoli
05-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Thing is, the Angels and the Sox are both looking towards the postseason. So neither will be trading for prospects at the deadline; they will be looking for the final pieces for a playoff run.

voodoochile
05-22-2005, 10:03 AM
I don't envy Ozzie this decision with Dye, Konerko and Carl all heating up again. I think they can find a way to use them all and Frank may ned to work back in slowly, not wanting to play everyday to not put extra stress on his foot.

Still, having too much talent should be the least of the Sox worries.

SoxFan928
05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's my lineups as geared toward facing left- or right-handed starters. Feel free to play with, argue over, and destroy them as you please.

vs LHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 R 2B Tadahito Iguchi
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 R 1B Paul Konerko
5 R C Chris Widger
6 R CF Aaron Rowand
7 R RF Jermaine Dye
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

vs RHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 L 2B Willie Harris
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 S RF Carl Everett (yeah, I think he could hit cleanup)
5 L 1B Ross Gload
6 L C A. J. Pierzynski
7 L CF Timo Perez
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe
EDIT - 1241, 5/22 - forgot to put in Chris Widger.:o:

gobears1987
05-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Dye is batting near .300 this month. You have to get him in the lineup as much as possible.

illinibk
05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Here's my lineups as geared toward facing left- or right-handed starters. Feel free to play with, argue over, and destroy them as you please.

vs LHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 R 2B Tadahito Iguchi
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 R 1B Paul Konerko
5 R C Chris Widger
6 R CF Aaron Rowand
7 R RF Jermaine Dye
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

Widger 5th? I like the guy too, but he is not a #5 hitter. Switch him with Dye, then I like the line-up.

Jjav829
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM

vs LHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 R 2B Tadahito Iguchi
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 R 1B Paul Konerko
5 R C Chris Widger
6 R CF Aaron Rowand
7 R RF Jermaine Dye
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

vs RHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 L 2B Willie Harris
3 R DH Frank Thomas
5 L 1B Ross Gload
6 L C A. J. Pierzynski
7 L CF Timo Perez
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

First, there's no way Chris Widger should ever be batting higher than 8th. Drop him down the 9th and move everyone else up versus LHPs.

Second, you're playing the lefty/righty match-up way, way too much. You know how many righties we are going to see? There's a lot more righties than lefties. Do you actually want to sit our best hitters that much? That second lineup is just awful. If you were Ozzie, and I was KW, and you came to me saying you were gonna start that lineup against lefties from now on, I'd fire you on the spot, regardless of your 31-12 record. That's how bad it is. Stop overanalyzing the lefty/righty match-up. You don't sit your best players just because they are righties facing righties. It's just an awful strategy. Besides, several of the players you have sitting hit righties nearly as well as lefties.

nedlug
05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
AJ has a good part of his HRs against lefties - I think about half. Still, he is way too big a part of this team to only be a platoon guy. Widger should be used very sparingly IMHO.

Spicoli
05-22-2005, 01:02 PM
First, there's no way Chris Widger should ever be batting higher than 8th. Drop him down the 9th and move everyone else up versus LHPs.

Second, you're playing the lefty/righty match-up way, way too much. You know how many righties we are going to see? There's a lot more righties than lefties. Do you actually want to sit our best hitters that much? That second lineup is just awful. If you were Ozzie, and I was KW, and you came to me saying you were gonna start that lineup against lefties from now on, I'd fire you on the spot, regardless of your 31-12 record. That's how bad it is. Stop overanalyzing the lefty/righty match-up. You don't sit your best players just because they are righties facing righties. It's just an awful strategy. Besides, several of the players you have sitting hit righties nearly as well as lefties.

I second that motion! Jjav is absolutely correct.

NDSox12
05-22-2005, 01:02 PM

vs LHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 R 2B Tadahito Iguchi
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 R 1B Paul Konerko
5 R C Chris Widger
6 R CF Aaron Rowand
7 R RF Jermaine Dye
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

vs RHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 L 2B Willie Harris
3 R DH Frank Thomas
5 L 1B Ross Gload
6 L C A. J. Pierzynski
7 L CF Timo Perez
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

Since a majority of our games are against RHP, I don't particularly like your platoon lineups. That would make Harris/Gload/Perez/Everett the regular starters while Iguchi/Konerko/Rowand/Dye would be on the bench more often than not. I don't mind this lineup on an occasional basis, but it certainly should not be used with any regularity.

Also, I think I'd keep Perez out of any of my lineups. I think he's a goner when Frank and Gload return.

RKMeibalane
05-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, Konerko and Rowand should be in the lineup every game, barring the occasional day off to rest. Frank should be eased back into the routine initially, but I think he should also play everyday, as long as his ankle isn't a problem. Dye and Everett need to be moved around. Frank has said that he would be willing to rest against pitches that he doesn't hit well. This would free up a spot for Everett on those days.

Everett looks like the odd man out right now when Thomas returns. Dye has been on fire recently, and Konerko seems like he's starting to hit again. Maybe it's just me, but I thought Carl looked brutal yesterday. He had a big hit in the late innings, but some of his early at-bats against Zambrano were hard to watch.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 01:07 PM
just another anti frank article. He shouldn't be traded!

RKMeibalane
05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
just another anti frank article. He shouldn't be traded!

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no way Frank is traded now. He wants to be here, and the Sox are winning. Trading him would be just about the stupidest thing in the world.

dcb33
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm liking Rowand in the No. 3 hole. Last year when they put Maggs at 3 and Thomas at cleanup it seemed to work well, so why not put Thomas at 4 and move everyone else down 1 spot in the lineup?
LF- Pods
2B- Iguchi
CF- Rowand
DH- Thomas
1B- Konerko
C- AJ
RF- Dye
3B- Crede
SS- Uribe

As for Carl, I think Ozzie will platoon him with Thomas for a month so Thomas can continue to heal and get back up to speed. Once Frank is back at 100%, I wouldn't be surprised if Carl gets put on the trading block...

NSSoxFan
05-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Yeaaaa, I'll do that right after I check out this chocolate floating around in the toilet. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
05-22-2005, 03:48 PM

vs LHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 R 2B Tadahito Iguchi
3 R DH Frank Thomas
4 R 1B Paul Konerko
5 R C Chris Widger
6 R CF Aaron Rowand
7 R RF Jermaine Dye
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

vs RHP
1 L LF Scott Podsednik
2 L 2B Willie Harris
3 R DH Frank Thomas
5 L 1B Ross Gload
6 L C A. J. Pierzynski
7 L CF Timo Perez
8 R 3B Joe Crede
9 R SS Juan Uribe

Um NO... you want to bench Rowand 3 out of every 4 games roughly because that is what you are talking about. Timo should play once a week at the most and more like once every 2 weeks as a PR or defensive substitution now that they will be struggling to find PT for Carl.

And AJ should be catching 6 games a week regularly regardless of who the opposing pitcher is.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. There's no way Frank is traded now. He wants to be here, and the Sox are winning. Trading him would be just about the stupidest thing in the world.I know! Kenny Williams was probably laughing his ass off when he saw that article. Good thing DeLuca isn't the GM.

SoxFan928
05-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Ok, ok, take it easy guys! Go ahead and fire me, I could never manage a team. Looking at the lineups, yeah, I do think that I overdid it, you guys are right. I'll admit that I'm not good at this lineup stuff.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Ok, ok, take it easy guys! Go ahead and fire me, I could never manage a team. Looking at the lineups, yeah, I do think that I overdid it, you guys are right. I'll admit that I'm not good at this lineup stuff. your not as bad as Dusty baker because he put Todd Hollandsworth and his .200 BA in the lineup on friday batting 2nd. Ha i was laughing my ass off on that one.

DickAllen72
05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
1 pods 2 goochy 3 arow 4 thomas 5 aj 6 pk 7 dye 8 crede 9 uribe or alternate lineup 1 pods 2 arow 3 crazy carl 4 pk 5 aj 6 dye 7 uribe 8 crede 9 willie

I like your primary lineup best of all the proposed lineups.

DickAllen72
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Once Frank is back at 100%, I wouldn't be surprised if Carl gets put on the trading block...

That would be a big mistake. Carl is a very valuable part of this team both on the field and in the clubhouse.

chisoxfanatic
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Everett looks like the odd man out right now when Thomas returns.

I disagree on this for the reasons stated in the post directly above mine. The "odd man out" right now would most likely be Timo. You can always have Carl play the same role as Timo currently does. One thing that's for sure is that I'd MUCH rather have Everett still here than Timo.

Mohoney
05-22-2005, 08:51 PM
The thing is, how much can we expect Frank to play when he gets back?

The fact that he won't be playing 1B helps, but I think I would give him a day off every week or so (especially on a getaway day before an off day so he can have 2 days off) and never play him 5 or 6 days in a row.

Of course, if he's completely pain free and mashing the ball, it's awfully hard to sit him.

This is where the luxury of having 2 guys in Rowand and Pods that can both play CF can be a huge asset. Rowand and Pods can get breathers, and Carl can man one of the two corners.

If Carl DHs once a week for Frank and plays OF once or twice a week giving Dye, Rowand, or Pods a breather, that should be enough at-bats when coupled with pinch hit appearances to keep him from getting rusty.

It also makes Timo Perez the odd man out, in my opinion, when Frank comes back.

MHOUSE
05-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Why trade either Thomas or Everett? If we can keep both rested and healthy down the stretch by platooning, playing the hot hand, pinch hitting on off days, then we'll always have a big bat off the bench. Having more than nine guys hitting well and fighting for playing time is not a bad thing.

LF Pods (duh)
2B Gooch (duh)
CF Rowand (if he keeps hitting, leave him there)
1B Konerko (un-slumping, and CLUTCH)
C A.J. (recent hitting streak)
RF Dye (3 games, 3 HR, 3 RBI)
DH Thomas/Everett (HOF/veteran switch hitter)
SS Uribe
3B Crede

Now your bench shakes out with:
DH Thomas R/DH-OF Everett S
OF Timo L
C-3B Widger R
INF-LF Ozuna R
2B-CF Willie L
1B-COF Gload L (once healthy)

There is a lot of talent and versatility on that bench.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2005, 08:31 AM
I disagree on this for the reasons stated in the post directly above mine. The "odd man out" right now would most likely be Timo. You can always have Carl play the same role as Timo currently does. One thing that's for sure is that I'd MUCH rather have Everett still here than Timo.

That's not what I meant. Everett looks like the player who won't be starting anymore when Thomas returns. I didn't say that he would be off the team entirely.

Sad
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
isn't Frank due back about the time we hit the road for NL parks? (Colorado & San Diego)

I thought I heard awhile back there was a limit as to how much time he could spend w/ Charlotte...

if this is the case, he wouldn't be DH'ing until June 13.

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2005, 08:58 AM
It makes sense for the Sox to keep all the bats. Who here remembers the 93 playoffs? (I'll bet many of Konerko's biggest fans don't!) Anyway, Frank was the full-time 1B (although he was DH in Games 1 & 2 and went 3 for 4 with 5 walks) and the Sox got nothing out of the DH position otherwise. George Bell didn't play, and Dan Pasqua and Bo Jackson completely sucked. In the last game, Warren Newson(!) DH-ed and hit a meaningless 9th inning solo homer. Other than Frank, Newson's homer was the only hit from a Sox DH in the 93 ALCS. Ouch!
:angry:

The lesson is, you can never have enough bats on the bench when the post-season rolls around. Keep Frank and Everett and Dye and Konerko, unless one of the latter three can be traded in a package for a better hitter like Todd Helton.
:cool:

PicktoCLick72
05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
1. Perez LF
2. Widger 3B
3. Dye SS
4. Gload RF
5. Harris CF
6. Ozuna 1B
7. THomas C
8. Crede 2B
9. Podsednik DH

I don't think any team would be ready to stop this lineup.