PDA

View Full Version : My experience today

A.T. Money
05-21-2005, 11:59 PM
So, it was my first time in the Urinal in 8 years.

I had decent seats. I was in the same row as a pole, and I was right next to it on the end of the aisle. Pretty decent seats. Could still see flyballs. I forgot how small that park really is! I was pretty close to the plate still and the wall seemed so close. In a strange sense, the concourses reminded me a bit of old Comiskey Park. The concourses didn't feel as cramped until afterwards when everyone was leaving, but I didn't think the park was all that horrible. It doesn't hold a candle to Comiskey in my opinion...not even close. The lack of scoreboard sucks...but other than that, if you're in the right seats, it's a good place to watch a game.

I just find games at the Cell to be so much more entertaining. I wouldn't rip Wrigley just because it's the home park for the Cubs, but I just think the experience at the Cell is so much more superior...and I think Cubs fans know it too.

A.T. Money
05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh, also...it's such a cold stadium. I wore shorts and a Buehrle jersey with no sleeves. Once I left the park, I was ok again. Sitting there, I froze my ass off.

MUsoxfan
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
IF I attend a game there, I'm fond of the first 6 rows of the 200 level (no obstructed view and cover if it rains) or the 400 level. I'd much rather sit in the UD there than in the 200 level more than 10 rows back. Pop-ups and fly balls can't be seen.

cheeses_h_rice
05-22-2005, 12:15 AM
I went to Friday's game, which was my first game at the Urinal in 2 years or so, and I have to admit that parts of the park I find appealing; I like old man bars and sort of beaten down early/mid 1900s Americana, and there are a lot of nooks and crannies in that park.

But, so many of the seats there have restricted views of fly balls or are completely shrouded in shade the entire game, that it seems to be enjoyable if you watch a lot of games there if you're in the really expensive seats in the first two sections on the 100 level. Some of the UD seats give you a view of only the plays on the ground -- if it's hit in the air, you have to just watch the fielders running around to gauge what's happening.

For a game or two every few years, Wrigley is fine, but for the repeat customer, I would find it really annoying.

soxfan43
05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
For a game or two every few years, Wrigley is fine, but for the repeat customer, I would find it really annoying.

Exactly. Ya wrigley is a nice old time ballpark but cubs fans are kidding themselves if they think that place is so great. What I love is naturally after the cubs lose they bring up their only supposed argument, fans and stadiums. and 9 times out of 10 the cub fan I'll be arguing with has never even been to the cell, which ends the conversation right there. cubs fans just cant handle the sox success this season. seeing the looks on their faces today after their bullpen blew it was priceless

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Oh, also...it's such a cold stadium. I wore shorts and a Buehrle jersey with no sleeves. Once I left the park, I was ok again. Sitting there, I froze my ass off.Old Comiskey would do that to you, too. If you were up under the upper deck, in the shadows, the perpetually damp concrete made things cold regardless of how warm it was out in the sun.

firejauron
05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Watching and listening on television, it seems like there are a lot more Sox fans at Wrigley than usual. Maybe they seem louder because we're winning. For those of you who attended either game, what percentage of fans would you say Sox fans made up in the park? Anyone have any good stories from the first two games of incidents with Cub fans?

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Watching and listening on television, it seems like there are a lot more Sox fans at Wrigley than usual. Maybe they seem louder because we're winning. For those of you who attended either game, what percentage of fans would you say Sox fans made up in the park? Anyone have any good stories from the first two games of incidents with Cub fans?

According to the Grobber, there have been only about 4000 Sox fans at The Shrine. *snicker*

fox23
05-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Its not really a funny story, but the Cubs fans next to me on Friday's game didn't show up until the top of the 4th inning in typical Cub fashion. They also left in the 8th.

C-Dawg
05-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Its not really a funny story, but the Cubs fans next to me on Friday's game didn't show up until the top of the 4th inning in typical Cub fashion. They also left in the 8th.

I bet they spent the whole time talking on their cell phones too.

Leaving early must be a Cub tradition. I was at one of the Philadelphia games at Wrigley, and there were so many seats opening up we kept moving closer and closer, going down into the lower deck as seats opened up. However, the red-jacketed ushers kept hassleing us, and chasing us off. It struck me as funny; the guys are just doing their jobs, but they're protecting seats that will now remain vacant and therefore look bad on TV.

aniceItch
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM

The Cubs fans next to me on Friday probably left and came back 6 or 7 times to get beer. Not to mention the beer-vendor practically camped out right next to them. My favorite part was when half the guys left and half stayed. The guys who stayed bought beers for everyone from the vendor. When the guys came back they were like "we got you guys beer" and the other guys were like "crap, we got you guys beer too" ..obviously it wasnt a big deal. They drank them all anyways. Oh. and they got beer on my purse. Oh. and they left in the 7th inning.

but I should mention that the Cubs fans on the other side of us were actually pretty kick ass and we had some nice convos.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I bet they spent the whole time talking on their cell phones too.

Leaving early must be a Cub tradition. I was at one of the Philadelphia games at Wrigley, and there were so many seats opening up we kept moving closer and closer, going down into the lower deck as seats opened up. However, the red-jacketed ushers kept hassleing us, and chasing us off. It struck me as funny; the guys are just doing their jobs, but they're protecting seats that will now remain vacant and therefore look bad on TV.

I was at a game a couple of weeks ago where the Kane Co. Cougars played the Peoria Chiefs (Class A- Cubs). Lots of people sporting Cubs jerseys and caps cheering against the home team. Most of them left with the Cubs holding a 7-4 lead in the 8th. They missed the Chiefs closer walking in the winning run in the 9th.

kevingrt
05-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I was at a game a couple of weeks ago where the Kane Co. Cougars played the Peoria Chiefs (Class A- Cubs). Lots of people sporting Cubs jerseys and caps cheering against the home team. Most of them left with the Cubs holding a 7-4 lead in the 8th. They missed the Chiefs closer walking in the winning run in the 9th.

We all know Cubbie fans are the best and most intelligent baseball fans in the world.

alohafri
05-22-2005, 04:54 PM
As Mr. Aloha and I were leaving Pigley yesterday, some dumb scrubbie fan says to Mr. Aloha, who was minding his own business, "Yeah the Sox won, but the Sox still suck!"

such intelligence.

---Mrs. Aloha

Cowhead418
05-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I was at the game today and every fly ball seemed like it was going out. The park is so damn small. Plus the food really sucks, you have to pee in a trough and all around you there are Cub fans not paying attention to the game shouting "Yay! We're at a Cub game at Wrigley Field!"

RavenswoodFan
05-22-2005, 06:10 PM
As my buddy and I were leaving some drunken slut of a cub fan screamed in my face "SOX SUCK"! My reply was holding up my index finger (I thought about using my middle one) and calmly said "One game out of three, you won one game out of three" What a bunch of losers!:angry: I was glad to walk out of that death trap with my head up! At least my team has a realistic shot at going to the post season!:D:

WWE Champion
05-22-2005, 06:13 PM
At Friday's game, there was a fight in my aisle (sec. 431, I think). It was a Sox fan wearing a Michael Jordan Washington Wizards jersey fighting with several Cubs fans. They were wailing away on each other for a few minutes before security finally decided to show up. Someone's cell phone got launched over the railing (10 rows down) and into the lower deck. It was in the 8th inning. It was pretty funny.

As for crowd estimation, I'd say there were at least 5,000 White Sox fans there on Friday, maybe more, and we were much louder than all the Cub fans. My section was the one that started the loud "Let's Go Sox!" cheer in the bottom of the ninth that day that I was told was very audible on TV.

cwsfannick
05-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I was lucky enough to make to each of the Cubs / Sox games this weekend.

Friday I sat in the 200 level about 13 row up parallel with home plate. Glad I dressed warm because the hawk was in my face all day. Unfortunately, I had a pole obstructing plays between first and second base. I was in the middle of group of grade school kids who thought it would great to have a peanut and ice fight the entire game. Parents did not seem to care. Fortunately, the Sox won.

Saturday, me and my wife sat in the 200 section, but within the first 6 rows, so we had no obstructed views. We did have 5 cub fans in front of us that decided to salute themselves every time the cubs did something good. Fortunately, I did not see much of that in the eigth or ninth innings. It was three guys and two girls. The guys had to go to relieve themselves at least six times. The gals never got up. Weak bladder cub fans got love'em. Oh yeah another White Sox winner made all things right in the world.

Sunday, I sat 10 rows from the field behind first base on a last minute invite. Luck out on this ticket, but did not luck out on the result.

It would have been nice to sweep, but will take two out of three. Taking the pulse of the cubs fans around me; it sounded as if they know thier team will not make the playoffs this season.

31-13 still in first and the best record in baseball. Let's go get the Angels.

wsbaseball9
05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
the two cub fans sitting next to my friend and i got insanely drunk, it wasnt even funny the guy started call out what the next pitch should be based on how he pitches mark prior in MVP '05, maybe it was a little funny

i might have been sitting infront of some WSIers but i forgot to ask
aisle 139 row 10 seat 2

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
I spared myself of travelling to Wrigley Field this weekend, but I've had the misfortune of being there enough times to have an idea what the gameday experience is like at Clark & Addison.

The fans at Wrigley Field cheering madly at every fly ball as it it's going to be a home run is nothing new. They have been doing it at least since the Sosa days. Now I can understand fans cheering at fly balls occasionally. We do it ourselves sometimes, but it's usually at a fly ball that has a chance to go out but is knocked down by the wind or something like that. At Wrigley Field, however, they cheer much more often because they cannot tell the difference between a can or corn versus a home run when it comes off the bat.

As for fans leaving early, that is a longtime thing there as well. When Harry was still there, they used to head for the bars after Harry sang (probably because they cut off beer sales in the 7th). During the Sosa days, they stayed until Sosa's probable final at bat of the game. This was when they had the feeling of "Well, the Cubs lost 11-2 today BUT SAMMY HIT ONE ONTO WAVELAND!!!!!"

Also, in what I think really spikes Wrigley's attendance, did anyone there this weekend notice the number of tour buses that pull up at the Waveland Avenue gate? They come all the time from Downstate, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They must get 20-30 buses per game.

chisoxfanatic
05-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Great notes on your experiences, Sox fans. Though I choose not to set foot in the Urinal (I've been there once and will never go back again), it makes me happy to know that I was well represented by the Sox Army.

whitesoxwilkes
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
My buddy and I sat in Sec 226, Row 22. My view was blocked by a pole, so we moved over a few seats.

We got chewed out by some 16 year old usher for standing up and clapping after the Dye HR. He told us we needed to sit down so the fans behind us could enjoy the game...too bad there was no one behind us. I told him I've been to 400+ baseball games in my life, and don't need to be told how to behave. He left us alone after that.

There were some Sox fans in our section, plenty of high-fives were exchanged.

Toward the end of the game, the fans in standing room right behind us started razzing us pretty good...I responded by just kinda tugging my ear (as if to say "I can't hear you"). As I was heading down the ramp after the last pitch, a guy stuck his face right in front of me and started yanking his ear to mock me. I just kept on walking, but my buddy and him exchanged a few words. (BTW, these guys were Chub fans who perfectly fit the stereotype that Chub fans like to lay on us.)

Lots of Sox fans in Bernie's afterwards...good to see!

:bandance:

Banix12
05-22-2005, 10:07 PM

There were quite a bit of sox fans there today, but the loudness may also have something to do with where some of the louder ones were seated, pretty close to the directional mics the tv stations use to pick up crowd noise.

I had the sweetest seats today, 1st row right behind the plate. There were a couple of dumb fans around me, particularly this one cub fan behind me who kept asking his buddy to get a beer in the eighth inning and screamed at Dye, "He can't hit anything" the at-bat after the homer.

Bobbo35
05-23-2005, 06:31 AM

I say that there were about 25-30% sox fans at Sunday's game.

skobabe8
05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I was in 508 and couldnt see a pretty important part of the firld the entire game because of a pole directly in my way.....HOME PLATE. The only way I saw an at-bat was if I leaned across someones lap to the left or to the right of me. Anyway, I would say there were about 35% sox fans there. Just about 1/3. Everytime the sox hit a hr sunday i would look around and thats about how many were standing and clapping.

Here are some semi-amusing happenings from sundays game:

--The cubs fans behind us said sox fans are "fair weather fans"

--I went to use the bathroom in the 7th inning and they yelled at me "typical sox fan, leaving a game early!"

--Outside after the game a MAN IN A WHEELCHAIR told me Sox Suck. Wheelchair or not, if you start talking smack to me, I'm gonna talk smack right back to you.

--Some guy on the red line tried to argue that we cant be sox fans because we're from indiana.

--And those idiots cheered EVERY SINGLE FLY BALL THE CUBS HIT.

Rocky Soprano
05-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I was there on Friday with my brother.

We were in section 506, then moved to 406 in the 6th inning or so.
There were a ton of Sox fans in that section.

My brother and I held up a huge White Sox flag during the 7th innning stretch and also at the end up the game.

I didnt really have any bad experiences with any Cub fans, the ones I did talk to shut up really quick after I would talk about some of our stats compared to theirs.

On the way out I ran into Brooks Boyer, I called him over and he came and we talked for about a minute. He seemed really excited and right when he left he said make sure you keep the faith. I told him to keep doing a great job. That was pretty cool.

skobabe8
05-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, and we got to meet Brandon McCarthy's cousin on the EL going to the game. He asked if we were sox fans (obviously!) and asked us if we had ever heard of Brandon. He was an older gentleman, but super nice guy and told us stories of when Brandon was only 'this big' (as he held out his hand even with his thigh). It was really cool, especially since I got to see him personally in spring training. He had just arrived from Cleveland and was meeting up with 10-12 other family members in pretty good seats. We showered his cousin with praise, wished him luck, and went our seperate ways. It had to be a great experience for him, especially the standing O brandon got!

cheeses_h_rice
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
I was in Section 33, row 7 for Sunday's game, about a section or two away from the Sox's dugout. Got a great view of Brandon M. warming up before the game. Very surprised to see so many Sox fans in my section, considering how close to the field it was, but I'm guessing that those diehard Flubfans sold their tickets to them just as to me. I got mine for below face the day of the game.

Good banter and convo among our section, which seemed about 30-40% Sox fans. Really, the only big annoyance was this large-chested Flub fan screaming stuff like "GO CUBBIES" every other minute and "GO BACK TO THE SOUTH SIDE, YOU'RE ON THE NORTH SIDE BABY". She was slightly overserved; big surprise.

Considering the Flubs won, it was probably the best behaved crowd reaction I've seen at the Urinal for one of the crosstown games. No complaints here.

soxfan43
05-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Friday I was up in section 225, not bad. Lots of sox fans around us, had some good arguements with a guy in a nomar jersey but no real problems with fans until after the game at the bars.

Saturday I was behind homeplate, mostly surrounded by cubs fans, except for an older gentleman with duck taped headphones on and a couple in front of us. Seeing the looks on their faces after patterson droppped that hit and the bullpen choking was great.

Sunday I was in the right field reserved section. Had some pretty good baseball chatter going until the usher tried to tell me that Jermaine Dye didn't homer on saturday. There was also thisidiot in a sandberg jersey in the bleachers who kept trying to start white sox sucks chants going, they didn't last to long since most people realized how dumb it sounded when the sox just took 2 out 3 and have the best record in baseball. all in all a fun weekend at the urinal

billnahorodny
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I was there Friday and Sunday. Didn't encounter any problems and actually had a few decent conversations with the cub fans. And there were aspects to Wrigley that I did like...I pointed out how nice this year's concrete stopping nets were...much nicer than last years! :cool:

tebman
05-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Also, in what I think really spikes Wrigley's attendance, did anyone there this weekend notice the number of tour buses that pull up at the Waveland Avenue gate? They come all the time from Downstate, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They must get 20-30 buses per game.

It occurred to me that the National League ballpark has become just like Wall Drug Store (http://www.walldrug.com/denver_post.htm) in the last 15 years or so. Richard Roeper wrote recently (jeez, say that fast three times :tongue: ) that there are roughly an equal number of Sox baseball fans and Cubs baseball fans, but that currently the Cubs get 90% (his number, not mine) of the casual fans. Clearly the attraction is the singles-bar atmosphere of the neighborhood and the Tribune's savvy cross-promotion machine.

Just like Wall Drug Store, there's really no reason to go there except that it seems like everybody else is. After enough concrete falls and after the remodeling is done, it's a safe bet that some of that Lincoln-Park cachet will fade. The challenge for the Sox is to catch those people who fall away and make them real baseball fans.

alohafri
05-23-2005, 11:16 AM
As Mr. Aloha and I were leaving Pigley yesterday, some dumb scrubbie fan says to Mr. Aloha, who was minding his own business, "Yeah the Sox won, but the Sox still suck!"

such intelligence.

---Mrs. Aloha

I might add that our Cub fan friend who was driving asked this knucklehead if he had actually seen the game.

Sox of White
05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I might add that our Cub fan friend who was driving asked this knucklehead if he had actually seen the game.

Wow, at least they can admit it I suppose.