PDA

View Full Version : "PaleHose" nickname lauded in SI!

SpringfldFan
05-22-2005, 12:39 AM
If you hadn't seen this yet, you gotta read it. In his Viewpoint column, Frank Deford is asserting that "Pale Hose" is the best alternative nickname in all of sports! Ya gotta love it :D:

The headline:

Hail to the Hose
White Sox boast best alternative nickname in sports

The link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/frank_deford/05/19/pale.hose/index.html

seanpmurphy
05-22-2005, 12:55 AM
That's great. The worst team to root for has the best alternative nickname. Yay SI!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2005, 09:08 AM
With an entire column devoted to this topic, how much longer do you think we'll have to wait before somebody writes 800 words on why the White Sox don't wear white socks?

We're almost famous. Almost.
:cool:

SOXintheBURGH
05-22-2005, 09:27 AM
:boston

The White Sox may have a great nickname, but they still only have a 24% chance of making the playoffs, even at 31-12.

bunnybrief
05-22-2005, 11:15 AM
hmmmmmmm...........

I'm not surprised.

lukesappling
05-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Ahh, waxing poetically about our beloved White Sox, it's a first.

Considering the history of the Sox, it's amazing they don't get more credit for being a big part of baseball history. Field of Dreams was probably the most sentimental thing I've ever heard about our team.

Wsoxmike59
05-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Ahh, waxing poetically about our beloved White Sox, it's a first.

Well it might not be a first, but it's definitely not an everyday occurrence. There is a cool old video I bought at Soxfest years ago called: The Other Side of Summer "The Wrecking of Old Comiskey Park"

They show it from time to time on Channel 11, and it was written and produced by a former beer vendor/poet Bob Chicoine, and he waxes poetically, nostalgically & prophetically on how an era in sports had passed the day they shut down old Comiskey Park.

If you get a chance check it out. I told Mrs. Wsox while I was watching it, I was reminded of the character on Northern Exposure who read poetic rants while on the radio.

Spicoli
05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
DeFord read this article on NPR earlier in the week. There was a thread started here about this then.

DaveIsHere
05-22-2005, 11:43 AM
DeFord read this article on NPR earlier in the week. There was a thread started here about this then.

Yeah I listened to that, it sounded really cool being read on the air

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Well it might not be a first, but it's definitely not an everyday occurrence. There is a cool old video I bought at Soxfest years ago called: The Other Side of Summer "The Wrecking of Old Comiskey Park"

You mean this: (Scroll to the bottom of the page) (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm)

Sox Fans, who loves ya baby!

Corlose 15
05-22-2005, 12:57 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

SoxintheBurgh that sig line is awesome. Ah.. back to the times when the Simpsons were funny.

Anyway back on topic it does sound really cool to hear Deford read that article of course he just saying what I already know.

nasox
05-22-2005, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Corlose 15]back to the times when the Simpsons were funny.
QUOTE]

You might want to be careful making hair-brained, idiotic statements like that.

Erik The Red
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I can't think of many things more hair-brained or idiotic than getting all worked up about a subjective statement of distaste.

brewcrew/chisox
05-22-2005, 05:37 PM

jeeze, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:

cwsox
05-22-2005, 05:44 PM

They show it from time to time on Channel 11, and it was written and produced by a former beer vendor/poet Bob Chicoine, and he waxes poetically, nostalgically & prophetically on how an era in sports had passed the day they shut down old Comiskey Park.

If you get a chance check it out. I told Mrs. Wsox while I was watching it, I was reminded of the character on Northern Exposure who read poetic rants while on the radio.

Jean Sheperd always was eloquent about ehe Sox

check out http://www.flicklives.com/Movies/White_Sox/white_sox.htm

and then google his name, lots of great stuff

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Please don't put the PaleHose on the front cover.I believe in
the SI front cover jinx.Last year,remember,they had Carrie Woods
on the front cover with the headline "sCrUBS Win World Series"
(the sCrUBS was mine.It actually had their correct team name).
Look what happened.I agree and side with WSI:

"Flying Under The Radar".

whtsx1959
05-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Does anybody know how the pale horse nickname originated?

SoxEd
05-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Does anybody know how the pale horse nickname originated?

'Pale' - White is not exactly the darkest of colours.

'Hose' - a quaint term for socks/stockings/sox.

Shakespearian actors wear 'doublet & hose' at the Globe theatre in London. That is, traditional Elizabethan gear on their bodies, and traditional Elizabethan tights on their legs.

whtsx1959
05-22-2005, 07:37 PM
all this time i thought it was 'horse'

Chisox003
05-22-2005, 07:39 PM
all this time i thought it was 'horse'

Please tell me you forgot the teal here.....:thud:

Soxaholic
05-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Jean Sheperd always was eloquent about ehe Sox

check out http://www.flicklives.com/Movies/White_Sox/white_sox.htm

and then google his name, lots of great stuff

That's a great White Sox movie! I watch it every now and then. It's too bad that you can't find it in DVD or have someone make an updated version.