PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Sports Radio is Pathetic!

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Where is the White Sox talk on Chicago sports radio? This town should be ashamed of itself. A great team with little to no presence on the radio. Where are the young entrepreneurs who see a market advantage and bring the people what they want to hear? Is SnR once every two weeks the best we can hope for? The radio dial seems to be filled with the Chicago National league team sychophants.

Ol' No. 2
05-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Where is the White Sox talk on Chicago sports radio? This town should be ashamed of itself. A great team with little to no presence on the radio. Where are the young entrepreneurs who see a market advantage and bring the people what they want to hear? Is SnR once every two weeks the best we can hope for? The radio dial seems to be filled with the Chicago National league team sychophants.Gee. I hadn't noticed. What about the newspapers?

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I know it is nothing new, but still. The papers get called out every now and then, so why not the airwaves?

Baby Fisk
05-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Gee. I hadn't noticed. What about the newspapers?
You must have Hangar on "ignore", huh? :cool:

TornLabrum
05-21-2005, 11:35 PM
You must have Hangar on "ignore", huh? :cool:

Or not read any "Fallen Arches" columns.

elrod
05-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy it. I think sports radio, in general, is very even-handed. Sure, there's Mike Murphy, but MJK, Rick Talender, B&B all give lots of attention to the Sox. I suppose they should be giving disproportionate attention to the Sox considering the performance of the two teams. But I don't think they give the Cubs more attention or love than the Sox.

Dan H
05-22-2005, 08:36 AM
I am not one who really cares about press coverage, and I listen to Sports Talk Radio so little because it is so stupid. But in looking at the Sun-Times this morning, I saw more stories on why the Cubs are bad as opposed to why the White Sox are good. That really doesn't bother me since the stories were accurate: the Cubs are bad. But I would have liked to see more on the success of the Sox than the lamenting of the Cubs.

I also noticed how much you can hear Sox fans at Wrigley. The tide can be turning a little here. Yes, we are outnumbered, but how much longer can even gullible Cub fans put up with this? How many times can you get drunk at the Shrine? How many times can you see Kerry Wood be put on the DL? How many times can you see Hawkins blow games like he did yesterday? How many scalped tickets can you buy?

elrod
05-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I am not one who really cares about press coverage, and I listen to Sports Talk Radio so little because it is so stupid. But in looking at the Sun-Times this morning, I saw more stories on why the Cubs are bad as opposed to why the White Sox are good. That really doesn't bother me since the stories were accurate: the Cubs are bad. But I would have liked to see more on the success of the Sox than the lamenting of the Cubs.

And to be fair, the game yesterday was as much a story of Cubs' failure as Sox success. The Sox success was Contreras keeping them in the game, the timely hitting in the 8th, and Dustin closing the door. Business as usual. The Cubs failure was blowing a dominant outing with a bullpen collapse, Derrek "The Great" Lee getting picked off in a critical situation, and Corey Patterson failing to come through in the clutch, again. In many ways the Cubs collapsed really was more compelling. The first game, on the other hand, was pure Sox dominance. The second game, not so much.

CubKilla
05-22-2005, 10:30 AM
J. Hood's postgame show on THE SCORE yesterday was all Sox. While Hood mentioned that he tries to be neutral during the bulk of the season, he went on to state that he was a White Sox fan first and foremost and that his radio postgame coverage until approximately 6PM would be White Sox driven. Sure a few Cub fans called in. It made me smile when J. Hood laughed at them and mocked them..... playing Harry Carey Channel 44 calls of, "Sox win! Sox win! Sox win!", and Hawk having an anuerism (SP?) hollaring, "JOE CREDE!" after Crede's walk off against Detroit in July of '04.

He even made the Cub fans that called in admit that the Sox had the better team and a few "diehards" admitted, on air, that they have scrapped their Cubs gear for Sox gear. One even stated he put on his roommates Sox jersey after throwing his Cubs stuff in the trash.