PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's smart base running -- The defining moment of the game

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
I would have to say that Konerko's smart baserunning in the top of the 8th, when he got his go-ahead 2-RBI hit was the unsung "play" of the game. Had he tried to stretch the hit to a double, he would've been out from here to Lake Michigan! The fact that he turned around and went back to first displays this "team" concept, which has been existent in each player on this team throughout the entire season. Konerko's smart baserunning on that play allowed a couple more runs to score, thanks to AJ and Everett's bats following him.

Konerko really did his job today...

White Sox Josh
05-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Yeah or when Rowand slid hard into second to keep the speedy Konerko from grounding into a double play. Seriously I was laughing when the Cubs couldn't turn that double play.

PAPChiSox729
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Well I think that the new concept of being a 'team' is due to Ozzie. Anyways, it was important that Paulie didn't get greedy and allowed Carl to do the damage for him. Speaking of Konerko's speed, did anyone else think CfaD's sig was genius?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

patbooyah
05-21-2005, 09:33 PM
had konerko been running hard all along he would have been fine at second. but he was smart to go back, considering he watched and watched and watched and watched

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 10:56 PM
wow, konerko defenders grasping at straws. "defining moment?" i don't think there was a defining moment.

Iwritecode
05-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Speaking of Konerko's speed, did anyone else think CfaD's sig was genius?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Absolutely. :D:

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2005, 03:09 AM
...did anyone else think CfaD's sig was genius?CfaD????:?: I'm lost.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2005, 03:12 AM
CfaD????:?: I'm lost.Here you go (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=3309), Nellie.

jenmcm76
05-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Speaking of Konerko's speed, did anyone else think CfaD's sig was genius?

Yes, yes! A hundred times yes! Cracked me up... Konerko would come in third in a race with a pregnant woman.

daveeym
05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
had konerko been running hard all along he would have been fine at second. but he was smart to go back, considering he watched and watched and watched and watched No kidding, this thread sucks. I was screaming at him for not standing on second base, my grandma in a walker could have been standing on second base.

veeter
05-22-2005, 12:00 PM
With two outs Konerko became a fan like anyone else. I'm sure he was thinking "drop, drop, drop... or drop it, thank you very much..oh crap I gotta go back!" I'm not going to rip Paulie for that one. No way.

patbooyah
05-22-2005, 12:21 PM
With two outs Konerko became a fan like anyone else. I'm sure he was thinking "drop, drop, drop... or drop it, thank you very much..oh crap I gotta go back!" I'm not going to rip Paulie for that one. No way.

i'm not going to rip him- he made a mistake, but i am going to hope it doesn't happen again.

Jjav829
05-22-2005, 12:27 PM
i'm not going to rip him- he made a mistake, but i am going to hope it doesn't happen again.

Well, to be fair, I'm sure he didn't think that was going to turn into a possible double situation. It was hit right at Patterson, so in that situation he's thinking that it's either going to be caught for an out or drop for a single. Frankly, I don't want him trying to stretch that into a double regardless. This is the same guy who hit a ball off the left field wall on Wednesday and only got a single out of it. The last thing we needed there was Paulie getting too greedy and allowing the Cubs to throw him out at 2nd before Rowand crossed the plate. If that's someone with speed, fine, try to stretch it into a double. But with Paulie, he might as well just stay at first.

daveeym
05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Well, to be fair, I'm sure he didn't think that was going to turn into a possible double situation. It was hit right at Patterson, so in that situation he's thinking that it's either going to be caught for an out or drop for a single. Frankly, I don't want him trying to stretch that into a double regardless. This is the same guy who hit a ball off the left field wall on Wednesday and only got a single out of it. The last thing we needed there was Paulie getting too greedy and allowing the Cubs to throw him out at 2nd before Rowand crossed the plate. If that's someone with speed, fine, try to stretch it into a double. But with Paulie, he might as well just stay at first. No way, he got caught up cheerleading, that's fine, but that play's in front of him and he can see everything going on, it wouldn't have been stretching anything, it would have been him walking into second with as far as the ball rolled.

Jjav829
05-22-2005, 01:52 PM
No way, he got caught up cheerleading, that's fine, but that play's in front of him and he can see everything going on, it wouldn't have been stretching anything, it would have been him walking into second with as far as the ball rolled.

Yeah, he watched the ball for a little bit. Like I said though, I'm sure he never expected to have the opportunity for a double or he would have busted out of the box. By the time he realized that there was a chance for him to get to 2nd, it was too late. If you noticed, he also looked toward home after he rounded the bag, indicating that he was checking where Rowand was at the time.

daveeym
05-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah, he watched the ball for a little bit. Like I said though, I'm sure he never expected to have the opportunity for a double or he would have busted out of the box. By the time he realized that there was a chance for him to get to 2nd, it was too late. If you noticed, he also looked toward home after he rounded the bag, indicating that he was checking where Rowand was at the time. Yeah but he didn't have to be busting it to get second, he could have gotten it jogging the entire way, and at the time it would have been huge cuz aj's single would probalby have scored him. It ended up not mattering but it was baaad baserunning at the time.