PDA

View Full Version : Is WGN run by White Sox fans?

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Ok, this is the weekend of the Crosstown Classic. WGN is owned by the Blue Corp, so they (WGN) probably do not want to remind people that the Sox are lovable in any sense of the word. Well, in the middle of the Sox/Flubs series, WGN is showing "Field of Dreams" tonight!

Unless it is to emphasize how crooked the Sox can be...........................:angry:

This must be for Flub fans, after all, what Sox fan does NOT have this movie on tape or DVD (or both like I do)?

mccoydp
05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
WGN is for the Scrubs, through and through. Don't let them trick you.

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 08:08 PM
I wonder what the back story is behind this film. Does anyone know? Why the White Sox? I know they did incorporate the team into a lot of the story, but it really could've been any other team. Most probably the screenwriter is a fan, but maybe Shoeless Joe and the old school jersey just worked cinematically, I have no idea.

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 08:08 PM
WGN is for the Scrubs, through and through. Don't let them trick you.
You're right. They know that all Flub fans are out seeing the new "Star Wars" movie for the 100th time (each) tonight, so all that are left are us Sox fans to boost the ratings......

ATXBMX
05-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I wonder what the back story is behind this film. Does anyone know? Why the White Sox? I know they did incorporate the team into a lot of the story, but it really could've been any other team. Most probably the screenwriter is a fan, but maybe Shoeless Joe and the old school jersey just worked cinematically, I have no idea.

Well, it's based on the book Shoeless Joe, and it's about the white sox because they threw the world series. The guy builds a baseball field so the 8 banned players can play again.

Realist
05-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Speaking of Field of Dreams, we had that movie on at the bar last week and I looked up at the big screen for a second and there was a Sox game on the TV at Kevin Costner's house. It looked like the uniforms were from 1989 or so. Does anybody know the name of the Sox player that was in that shot? I think it was a pitcher.

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Wow, guess it has been a loooong time since I've seen it. I don't remember any of that.

Cellview22
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
I was just watching the WGN news at Nine, and Jackie Bang commented "that was painful to watch", regarding Corey Patterson's drop ball in the 8th. :whiner: They're all showing where their allegiance lies, it's great. :D:

gobears1987
05-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Speaking of Field of Dreams, we had that movie on at the bar last week and I looked up at the big screen for a second and there was a Sox game on the TV at Kevin Costner's house. It looked like the uniforms were from 1989 or so. Does anybody know the name of the Sox player that was in that shot? I think it was a pitcher.
there were 2 players. One was the cater, who was obviously Fisk. The other was a southpaw pitcher. I'm unsure who it was. It wasn't Alvarez as he came up 1 year after the movie was made. I've always wondered who it was.

hsnterprize
05-21-2005, 10:38 PM
I was just watching the WGN news at Nine, and Jackie Bang commented "that was painful to watch", regarding Corey Patterson's drop ball in the 8th. :whiner: They're all showing where their allegiance lies, it's great. :D:If WGN is run by Sox fans, then I consider it the best hostile takeover in corporate American history. Just a couple of years ago, people like Bange and other Cubbie-loving members of the media were gushing more blue pride than the Smurfs when their team went to the post-season. Now, they're turning about as green with envy as the new seats at the Cell watching their team crumble and our team thrive.

There's still plenty of season left, but I confess I take pleasure in watching Cub fans squirm in their ivy-covered angst. The tables are turning, and the Sox are bringing balance to the Force of baseball in Chicago.

mike squires
05-21-2005, 10:42 PM
there were 2 players. One was the cater, who was obviously Fisk. The other was a southpaw pitcher. I'm unsure who it was. It wasn't Alvarez as he came up 1 year after the movie was made. I've always wondered who it was.

I'm certain it was Donn Pall. I'll double check that tonight...Got the double disk edition...

hempsox
05-21-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm certain it was Donn Pall. I'll double check that tonight...Got the double disk edition...

You are correct...it was "Pope" Donn Pall...btw is that less cool a nickname now that the actual pope is dead?

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 11:03 PM
You are correct...it was "Pope" Donn Pall...btw is that less cool a nickname now that the actual pope is dead?Pssst, there is a new pope.

SOXPHILE
05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Let me think about that question for a minute....Ahhhhh...NO !

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, before we get all gushy with Sox Pride over the movie, keep in mind that when they pick up the young Archie Graham on the roadside, a shot of the VW bus' sun visor has a Cubs button on it....:angry:

TDog
05-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Well, before we get all gushy with Sox Pride over the movie, keep in mind that when they pick up the young Archie Graham on the roadside, a shot of the VW bus' sun visor has a Cubs button on it....:angry:

I thought I was the only person who noticed that. The thought that come to mind goes, "for no apparent reason."

Of course, W.P. Kinsella wrote the book "Shoeless Joe" which depicts Joe Jackson as a victim. It also has a character who lies about having played for the Cubs. He also wrote "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy" which is about a game against the 1908 Cubs that never ends. The Cubs button in the van probably does not bother the author.