PDA

View Full Version : Watching a replay of that 8th inning just now.

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2005, 08:45 PM
And just marveling at how clutch the Sox batters were and how unclutch the Flubs' defense was. Patterson should have had Konerko's flyout, and the inning should have been over. It all comes down to that.

And then you have AJ "Mr. Offense" Pierzynski coming through and Crazy Carl putting the much-needed icing on the cake.

MERCY.

:gulp:

DrCrawdad
05-21-2005, 08:49 PM
And just marveling at how clutch the Sox batters were and how unclutch the Flubs' defense was. Patterson should have had Konerko's flyout, and the inning should have been over. It all comes down to that.

And then you have AJ "Mr. Offense" Pierzynski coming through and Crazy Carl putting the much-needed icing on the cake.

MERCY.

I just finished watching the game on tape too. Oh, what a game!!!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :gulp:

krohnjw
05-21-2005, 09:46 PM
I was stuck at work all day (had to get up at 4am this morning) and watched the end of the game on MLB.tv. Patterson's slapping of the ball (while it was a good effort to get to it) was laughable. A great set of hitting with 2 outs :D:

NorthlakeTom
05-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Would someone who saw the play please confirm something?

Most of the guys at the Cubs forum said the ball should have been caught by Patterson. A few said it was a tough play, but most said he could have caught it without diving.

Which is it? Tough play, or a total screw up?

WWE Champion
05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
It was a tough play but it should've been caught. He simply closed his glove too early.

StillMissOzzie
05-22-2005, 12:45 AM
It was a tough play but it should've been caught. He simply closed his glove too early.

I agree with all of this, but I do think that the dive was necessary, or he wouldn't have even touched the ball, IMHO.

SMO

joe_tansey2004
05-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I couldn't stop laughing at my brother; a scrub fan, when Patterson missed that ball. It was going to be a hit, Patterson just made an excellent attempt to catch it. I was not expecting it to be that close of a play.

jkrohn
05-22-2005, 02:04 AM
This happens at 3:01:17 on the MLB.TV windows media broadcast.
You can see that he simply closes his glove too early.

NorthlakeTom
05-22-2005, 02:11 AM
This happens at 3:01:17 on the MLB.TV windows media broadcast.
You can see that he simply closes his glove too early.

Thanks.

From the looks of that, he would not have gotten to the ball if he didn't dive for it.

jenmcm76
05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Patterson did a heck of a job just getting to that ball. But getting there was only 90% of the job - he just couldn't finish it off. My vote goes for an almost great play. Many center fielders wouldn't even have been able to put leather on the ball.

3rdgensoxfan
05-22-2005, 08:58 AM
A replay that they showed during the Fox broadcast suggested that Patterson may have dived just the slightest bit early as well as lost his footing a bit going into the dive.

elrod
05-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Sliding catches sometimes look harder than they are. But sometimes, because of how commonly they occur, they look easier than they really are. When you see somewhat sliding in on their butt and catching a ball it's not all that difficult. But when you see someone diving to their backhand they have to get a lot of things right in order to catch it: the right track on the ball, the timing of the dive, keeping the glove open while diving but closing the glove while simultaneously crashing into the ground, preparing a safe landing. If any of these things go wrong, and they often do, the fielder won't catch the ball. It takes enormous concentration, even for a skilled outfielder to make the catch that Patterson tried.

cubhater
05-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Great effort by Patterson to get to the ball but he didn't have to dive for it. I think he just wanted to make the highlights with a diving catch, just like Ordonez always did with his feet-first slides on the south side.

Oh wait! Patterson DID make the highlights!:cool:

elrod
05-22-2005, 09:03 AM
A replay that they showed during the Fox broadcast suggested that Patterson may have dived just the slightest bit early as well as lost his footing a bit going into the dive.

All of which is a reason why those kinds of catches should never be seen as routine, even with a Toriiiiii Hunter in the OF.

TDog
05-22-2005, 03:15 PM
I didn't see the game but I saw a story where Patterson told reporters that most outfielders let the ball drop and he got to it and made an effort to catch it.

If he had let the ball drop, it would have tied the game.