PDA

View Full Version : Where's the love for Contreras?

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
all i'm hearin about is how great Crazy Carlos pitched today. while he was good,
pretty damn good performance as far as i'm concerned.

Contreras 7IP 4H 1R 1ER 1BB 4SO
Zambrano 7IP 1H 0R 0ER 3BB 8SO

jose doesn't have a monster record but he's given us a chance to win almost every game he's pitched this year. he's been a big surprise thus far.

3rdgensoxfan
05-21-2005, 06:53 PM
all i'm hearin about is how great Crazy Carlos pitched today. while he was good,

jose doesn't have a monster record but he's given us a chance to win almost every game he's pitched this year. he's been a big surprise thus far.

Agreed

Norberto7
05-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I love you, Jose Contreras.

MRKARNO
His solid pitching today put us in position to win the game. He, in my opinion, deserves a ton of the credit for the victory.

batmanZoSo
If this game was played at the Cell, Contreras would've most likely gone the distance, too.

NDSox12

Well put... plus Zambrano plunked two guys, so Contreras actually allowed less base runners.

Garcia and Contreras have come up big so far. BMac, you're next!

shoota
05-21-2005, 06:59 PM

He has given us a chance to win almost every game he's pitched, even the frustrating games where he'd throw a ton of unnecessary pitches. I'd say he's received the least run support of our five starters.

Nice work Jose.

JackParkman
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm very close to buying a ticket for the Jose Contreras bandwagon. Very close.

fquaye149
05-21-2005, 07:25 PM
why would the media give contreras love when WSIers still refuse to. Here's a guy who's been a solid inning eater with a well under 4.00 ERA and yet you only have to go back as far as yesterday to see him being ripped for being inconsistent or how he makes posters here nervous all the time.

I know he's had a rough first two MLB years, but he's just finished his eighth start of the season and is pitching quite solidly. Can we give the guy a break?

DaleJRFan
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I was at the Sox/Orioles game when he threw and he got some serious love from the fans on the 3rd base side when he walked in from the bullpen. I think the fans are really taking to him, he has earned it. Hopefully he understands that on the Southside, you have to earn fan respect and admiration..

NorthlakeTom
05-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I read Contreras is leading AL starters in opposing BA. It's down to .203 after today.

White Sox Josh
05-21-2005, 07:49 PM
In all honesty I thought Contreras pitched better than Zambrano. i know Zambrano only gave up 1 hit however he had no control and that showed with his walks and his Hit Batsmen.

PAPChiSox729
05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
This is what is so frustrating about Jose Contreras. He goes and pitches a gem of a game like he did today. Then his next start he goes 4 innings, walks 7 guys, and gives up 6 runs. I'm enjoying this great White Sox victory and I will always root for Jose (as long as he is on our side at least). I'm just trying to say to be cautiously optimistic. Hopefully Jose has gotten this whole throwing strikes thing figured out.

:wink:

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
This is what is so frustrating about Jose Contreras. He goes and pitches a gem of a game like he did today. Then his next start he goes 4 innings, walks 7 guys, and gives up 6 runs. I'm enjoying this great White Sox victory and I will always root for Jose (as long as he is on our side at least). I'm just trying to say to be cautiously optimistic. Hopefully Jose has gotten this whole throwing strikes thing figured out.

true. he may lay an egg the next time out. but if i'm gonna rip him, i'm gonna give him some props too.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Then his next start he goes 4 innings, walks 7 guys, and gives up 6 runs.Yeah!! He's done that so many times he has ONE loss.

batmanZoSo
05-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah!! He's done that so many times he has ONE loss.

Every other start, he almost does that, but he's just so unhittable it never happens. Every run he gives up is like his own fault.

Infallible
05-21-2005, 09:18 PM
can we do the Jose'! JOSE JOSE ! JOOOOOOSSSEEEE!! Chant for him?

JackParkman
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Jose hasn't give up more than four runs in a start this year and is averaging 6 2/3 innings per start (a number somewhat misleading because he left the KC game after 3.1 because of injury).

SpringfldFan
05-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I am glad someone posted on this topic. I have been listening to a lot of the recaps and postgame talk on the score this evening and I haven't heard Contreras name mentioned even once! :angry: I had to monitor the game via computer today but just looking at the pitch counts in the live box score told me all I needed to know about who had the more solid outing.

SFF

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah. jose threw like 75-76 pitches compared to 106-106 for crazy carlos

seanpmurphy
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
why would the media give contreras love when WSIers still refuse to. Here's a guy who's been a solid inning eater with a well under 4.00 ERA and yet you only have to go back as far as yesterday to see him being ripped for being inconsistent or how he makes posters here nervous all the time.

I know he's had a rough first two MLB years, but he's just finished his eighth start of the season and is pitching quite solidly. Can we give the guy a break?

Everyone on the McCarthy threads was referring to Contreras as if he wasn't an innings eater? :dunno:

Excellent performance by Jose either way. I was at work and heard about the Sox come back from Sox fan customers. It was great. I mentioned the good news to every person wearing a Cubs shirt that came through my line as well.

ChiSoxRowand
05-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Contreras pitched better than Zambrano today. Zambrano pitched good, but if he wouldn't have walked so many guys and gotten behind hitters earlier in the game he would have been able to pitch later into the game.

Charno
05-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Zambrano didnt give up anything, and Contreras gave up a run. I'm not saying Contreras wasnt great, but how can you say Zambrano didnt pitch better? Runs allowed is all that matters.

Soxzilla
05-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Zambrano didnt give up anything, and Contreras gave up a run. I'm not saying Contreras wasnt great, but how can you say Zambrano didnt pitch better? Runs allowed is all that matters.

Last I checked the W was all that matters, and if I'm reading the boxscore correctly...

Contreras - W

Idiot - ND

Navaro's Talent
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
For the most part, Contreras has been great this year. His ERA is one of the best in all of the league. Granted, his record doesn't look that great, but that has more to do with low run support than anything else. Loiaza's had the same problem is Washington this year.

I think a lot of his success is due to Pierzynski who knows how to call a good game. Also, A.J. has gotten Contreras to take less time in between pitches, which is something that he should do evertime he takes the mound. He has amazing stuff; he just overthinks at times. That's why it's better if he just throws it without giving it much thought outside of getting the ball over the plate.

JackParkman
05-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I think a lot of his success is due to Pierzynski who knows how to call a good game. Also, A.J. has gotten Contreras to take less time in between pitches, which is something that he should do evertime he takes the mound. He has amazing stuff; he just overthinks at times. That's why it's better if he just throws it without giving it much thought outside of getting the ball over the plate.

Gotta give Coop some credit as well. It's a wonder what having a real pitching coach (i.e. not Mel Stottlemyre) can do for a guy.