PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Debut Poll

Spicoli
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
The Crosstown series entails a playoff-like atmosphere and it looks like McCarthy is set to take the mound in his major league debut. The latter is pressure enough, but I wonder if the added emphasis of beating our in-town rivals will affect his performance. Plus he is facing off against Prior. So, how do you think he will perform tomorrow? Answer one from each of the four categories:

A. RESULTS
Win
Lose
No Decision

B. INNINGS PITCHED
Complete Game
7 Innings
5 Innings

C. STRIKEOUTS
15 plus
5 or fewer

D. EARNED RUNS
5 or more

kevingrt
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
A win is all I am looking for! A good outing would be a cherry on the top!

PAPChiSox729
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I think Brandon will have a good game tomorrow. He may give up 2 or so runs, go about 6 innings with 4 or 5 K's and hopefully pick up a White Sox winner to complete the sweep of the Cubbies.

:D:

mr_genius
05-21-2005, 06:01 PM
i had to pick lose

think he will... i hope he proves me wrong!

he hasn't been pitching very well in AAA, fortunately the scrubbies hit like a AA team.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:12 PM
wow. alot of people thinking he's gonna win. since the REAL season started he's struggling. he's got over 4 era in the minors. i'm not sure what the kids future is. but i'm sayin loss.

DaleJRFan
05-21-2005, 07:19 PM
he hasn't been pitching very well in AAA

He has been pitching very well. Look at the K/BB ratio. That park is the size of my backyard... then again, so is Wrigley... but my backyard doesn't smell like urine.

Go B'mac. If ST was any indication, he'll be a star and fit right in with the Youth Movement (Garland, Buehrle, McCarthy).

Shorty1983
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Don't minor league pitchers have a higher ERA due to smaller parks?

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Charlotte is a hitter's paradise. My 4 year old nephew can hit one out there. He leads AAA in strikeouts. 'Nuff said.

Of course I had to notice Homefish picked all the worst options for BMac.:dtroll:

White Sox Josh
05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
wow. alot of people thinking he's gonna win. since the REAL season started he's struggling. he's got over 4 era in the minors. i'm not sure what the kids future is. but i'm sayin loss.That park such a good hitters park that I wouldn't be suprised to see Frank hit 3-4 Homers when he comes back to Charlotte.

Hendu
05-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Even if he doesn't win, I'd like him to show that he has what it takes to pitch in spot starts whenever El Duque needs a rest. I'm looking for him to have good control and not get rattled when runners are on base. If he doesn't give up walks, he should be fine...it's not like he's pitching against the 1927 Yankees or anything. As long as he keeps us in the game, there's not much more you can ask for in a major league debut.

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 08:15 PM
What an exciting time! I hope McCarthy will do alright, or even better, awesome. His k rate is very good, and he does play in a small ballpark. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and this is where he wants to be, so I don't think the pressure will get to him much. His team should also be at their best in order to give him the W, so that gives us all the more reason to win tomorrow. Get out your brooms folks!!

soxfanreggie
05-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I think Brandon will respond excellent to the pressure by striking out 12 Cubs en route to a 8 inning win giving up 2 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks. wishful thinking maybe, but he's a future ace for us.

elrod
05-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Is the Charlotte Knights' Castle new? I seem to remember some other pitchers putting up great ERA numbers there.

Realist
05-21-2005, 08:20 PM
In chat I predicted a complete perfect game debut!

The way the season is going for us so far this year, why not?

:bandance:

FedEx227
05-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Well since he did so good in ST anything less than a perfect game with 23+ Ks is a letdown

I'm seeing, 5 innings, 2-3 Earned, about 4 Ks, and of course a W. Should be a good learning experience, get that hate in his white sox blood early, also he gets some experience against a AAAA team.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
That park such a good hitters park that I wouldn't be suprised to see Frank hit 3-4 Homers when he comes back to Charlotte.

and remind me what will the urinal seem like if the wind is blowin out? and after that what park gave up the most homers in the majors last year?

SpartanSoxFan
05-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Going on past history, odds are McCarthy will get rocked tomorrow. Then again, I thought there was no way Diaz would beat Zambrano last year at the Cell. So who knows.

gobears1987
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Too bad he doesn't post here anymore.

SoxFan928
05-22-2005, 12:50 AM
How about B-Mac spinning a Wilson Alvarez debut gem? (and I don't mean the Texas debut!!!!!)

shoota
05-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Should be a good learning experience, get that hate in his white sox blood early, also he gets some experience against a AAAA team.

I'm not sure where's BMac's from, but he did grow up being a big Big Hurt fan. So he might already dislike the Cubs.

Navaro's Talent
05-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I hope he's has a great game, but I'm not exactly expecting a complete game from the kid. As long as he can go five of six strong innings, I'd be satisfied. Anything more would be a bonus.

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I'd rather see Garland go on 4 days rest. Let McCarthy debut in LA with less media pressure. Remember Cotts' first start at NY? No, I am not comparing the Baby Bovines to the Yankees but the pressure will be the same.

manuelsucks
05-22-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd rather see Garland go on 4 days rest. Let McCarthy debut in LA with less media pressure. Remember Cotts' first start at NY? No, I am not comparing the Baby Bovines to the Yankees but the pressure will be the same.

Woah, I'd much rather have McCarthy face a pitiful Cubs team than a potent LA team. And with our luck on the West Coast, forget it. A loss there could shatter any confidence that he hasn't gained yet.

Jerome
05-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Too bad he doesn't post here anymore.

really? wow. what was his name?

shoota
05-22-2005, 01:49 AM
No matter how bad or good McCarthy does tomorrow, I bet he will get an appetising review from John Kruk, a man who loves Big Macs. :D:

seanpmurphy
05-22-2005, 06:48 AM
He has been pitching very well. Look at the K/BB ratio. That park is the size of my backyard... then again, so is Wrigley... but my backyard doesn't smell like urine.

:rolling:

seanpmurphy
05-22-2005, 06:50 AM
As soon as he takes the mound he's going to hear a voice in in his head say "Use the force, Brandon" and will throw a gem. :D:

cubhater
05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I think Brandon will have a good game tomorrow. He may give up 2 or so runs, go about 6 innings with 4 or 5 K's and hopefully pick up a White Sox winner to complete the sweep of the Cubbies.

:D:

That's pretty much how I feel. I don't think he'll be lights out, but won't get rocked in his debut.

It'd be soooooooooo sweet if he outduels the Messiah!:bandance:

firejauron
05-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Hopefully the Sox can come out and get some runs early to help him settle down. If he keeps the ball down, he should be okay. A couple of things worry me. Prior is pitching and the Cubs are going to be fighting like mad to keep from getting swept. Tough circumstances to be in, but I think he will be okay if he's as mature as everyone says.

elrod
05-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm concerned about this start. McCarthy lost his last two starts at Charlotte, with his worst season outing the most recent game against Buffalo. He gave up six runs on 9 hits, with 2 HRs. Now I know Charlotte is a bandbox but he got drilled for 5 runs in the 4th. Here's the log for the inning:

Buffalo Top 4th

Mike Kinkade flies out to left fielder Roosevelt Brown.
Andy Abad walks.
With Ryan Garko batting, wild pitch by Brandon McCarthy, Andy Abad to 2nd.
Ryan Garko doubles (8) on a fly ball to left fielder Roosevelt Brown. Andy Abad scores.
John Rodriguez flies out to left fielder Roosevelt Brown.
Jeff Liefer singles on a ground ball to center fielder Joe Borchard. Ryan Garko scores. Jeff Liefer to 2nd on the throw.
Dusty Wathan homers (3) on a fly ball to right field. Jeff Liefer scores.
Joe Inglett singles on a ground ball to center fielder Joe Borchard.
Brandon Phillips doubles (10) on a fly ball to center fielder Joe Borchard. Joe Inglett scores.
Jake Gautreau grounds out to first baseman Greg Norton.
Now one inning, or one performance doesn't define the man. And I know he's very mature. But we've seen pitchers with much worse numbers at AAA do terribly in their debut. Maybe maturity will win out over recent struggles and McCarthy will excel. I'm just a bit worried, though.

gobears1987
05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
really? wow. what was his name?
BMAC3520 (member.php?u=2637)

MONT
05-22-2005, 10:50 AM
No Worries ... Brandon is baseball mature beyond 22 years old.

For Today - We've already won the series, he's pitching against Prior, and it's his first outing ever in the "Bigs" ... so the only expectations are for him to go out and get some experience, period.

That stated, he's going to show us today that he's ready for this!! I'll bet that he gets the "W", and strikes out 10!!!

Congrats Brandon and Good Luck!!!

Iguana775
05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I hope I'm wrong but i think he loses his debut.

shaunburnette
05-22-2005, 11:50 AM
can i get a little bit of wishful thinking here? everything else has been going right for us, why not with McCarthy also?

Good Luck BMac! Im impressed already.

elrod
05-22-2005, 12:12 PM
What's going against us:

B-Mac has struggled lately at AAA
His opponent is Prior.
The pressure at Wrigley is huge - boisterous, playoff-like crowd.
Experience of the last few years is nothing but disaster with MLB debuts.
Wind is blowing out and B-Mac gives up a lot of long balls.

What's going for us:

Pretty much everything has gone our way this year.
B-Mac is very mature.
B-Mac dominated in Spring Training against good hitters.
The Cubs lineup stinks.
The pressure is a bit lower with the Sox winning the first two.

Make of this what you will. I'm not expecting much. I just hope he gets out of the first couple innings alright.

kevingrt
05-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Solid first outing in the bigs for Mac. I thought he pitched very well and pitched smart. It helps with AJ Piersynski behind the plate, but Mac still worked his arse off. A good five and a third innings only giving up two runs. Better then our call ups last year, Mac kept us in the game.

Oh yeah except for Felix Diaz's win at the Cell over the Cubbies and Zambo I believe? Where is Diaz right now?

Bisco Stu
05-22-2005, 05:08 PM
B Mac's my favorite pitcher since he wears Seaver's 41, plus I like the way he's not afraid to throw at people...or even Flubbies.