PDA

View Full Version : "Official" Hernandez News

Lip Man 1
05-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Unless the Sox are pulling a 'Cubs-act' and lying about it, this doesn't sound bad. It's from White Sox.com:

"Prior to Saturday afternoon's contest, general manager Ken Williams announced that the right-hander would be placed on the disabled list, effective Sunday, retroactive to his last start Monday against Texas. Hernandez suffers from a slight case of soreness in the back of his pitching shoulder.

"The decision on Hernandez was made following a 30-minute closed-door meeting with the pitcher, Williams, Guillen and Cooper two hours before game time. Hernandez, who elected not to talk to the media before the game, pleaded his case to even pitch Sunday against the Cubs, but the White Sox elected to err on the side of caution.

Hernandez underwent surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff on May 12, 2003, causing him to miss the entire season. Since 2000, the right-hander has never made more than 22 starts in a season, with only 15 trips to the mound for the Yankees during the 2004 campaign.

It was understood that the White Sox would give Hernandez a little break at some point in this current season in order to reach his desired goal of 30 starts. According to Williams, the schedule works in Hernandez's favor, even upon his return, as there will be many starts where he has five days off and on one occasion, even six days off.

That situation was figured out during Saturday morning's meeting, with Cooper leaving at one point to retrieve his master pitching grid from his locker.

"Williams mentioned two or three times during his talk that this was not remotely close to anything serious involving Hernandez. The tiredness and soreness started right before his last start, when El Duque allowed six earned runs on seven hits over 2 2/3 innings against the Rangers. After his worst effort of the season, the 5-1 Hernandez probably will miss two starts.'

Lip

hose
05-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Dead arm?

A little rest can't hurt.

CurseoftheGoat63
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
And now we get to see Bmac pitching.:bandance:

JoseCanseco6969
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
And now we get to see Bmac pitching.:bandance:

Well I wouldnt be celebrating this with a dancing banana...but hopefully it is as they say, just a minor injury. Hopefully the pressure doesnt get to BMac. Lets bring out them brooms!!!

Frankfan4life
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I hope it's nothing serious with El Duque, but after his last outing he should wait until he is 100% before he takes the mound again. Here's wishing him good health. :gulp:

buehrle4cy05
05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
I'd rather have a healthy El Duque in September and October than a hurt one now. Let him rest, and this should help Bmac because he's probably going to be in the rotation next year.

Ol' No. 2
05-21-2005, 06:12 PM
This is a good time to get him a break. He'll get another at the All-Star break. If they're smart, they'll get him another in early September.

Infallible
05-21-2005, 06:16 PM
its all over....the season is done.

mikehuff
05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
This is the test for the Sox right here. This will be a chance to show how deep they are. If McCarthy can go out there and look strong in a major league game, then almost nothing can stop us. If we can have a starting staff that is 6 deep... oh my God!

PAPChiSox729
05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
I'd rather have a healthy El Duque in September and October than a hurt one now. Let him rest, and this should help Bmac because he's probably going to be in the rotation next year.

Exactely. Let El Duque get rested for the final month and, hopefully, the playoffs. And McCarthy is by no means one of those 'automatic loss' pitchers which we saw last year. Besides, it will be neat to see McCarthy pitch up here. Hopefully he can make a good first impression. It sounds like El Duque isn't injured that bad anyways. I mean, did anyone really expect him to make it through the entire season?

kevingrt
05-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Good move by KW and Guillen in putting El Duque on the DL. Rest will do nothing but help Duque right now, and who is not ready to see McCarthy. The only thing that scares me is if McCarthy throws like a perfect game or something, then what do we do? But six great pitchers is a better siutation then only one or two good pitchers.

CallMeNuts
05-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Good move by KW and Guillen in putting El Duque on the DL. Rest will do nothing but help Duque right now, and who is not ready to see McCarthy. The only thing that scares me is if McCarthy throws like a perfect game or something, then what do we do? But six great pitchers is a better siutation then only one or two good pitchers.

Then our playoff rotation will be Buehrle, Garland, Garcia & McCarthy, with Contreras and Hernandez in the pen. Regardless of which 4 we pick, if this is the kind of issue the Sox have to debate, then we should be seeing a lot of games in October.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:52 PM
EL DUQUE got hurt because he was talking to carlos zambrano over the internet on a computer. THIS STUFF'S GETTIN DANGEROUS!!!!!

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Then our playoff rotation will be Buehrle, Garland, Garcia & McCarthy, with Contreras and Hernandez in the pen. Regardless of which 4 we pick, if this is the kind of issue the Sox have to debate, then we should be seeing a lot of games in October.

my rotation goes buehrle, el duque, garland, then garcia.

SluggersAway
05-21-2005, 08:44 PM
This sounds like a safe move, but please, it is a long time until we might have to make up our October line ups.

White Sox Josh
05-21-2005, 08:47 PM
It's pretty obvious what the Sox are doing. Remember when they got him they were talking about how great of a Big Game pitcher he is and how good he will be down the stretch? Well if there is any arm problem at all they are going to be extra careful with him to make sure he can get out there in september and October.

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Unless the Sox are pulling a 'Cubs-act' and lying about it, this doesn't sound bad.
The Sox don't lie like the Flubs do on the subject of injuries. Remember how they had Buehrle's foot all but amputated in ST but the next day all was fine? They are the opposite of the Flubs. If it is not serious and they made it retroactive to last Monday, it sounds like the dude needs a slight rest.

Now we get to see BMac for a game or two.....:D:

Jurr
05-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Hell, the guy is 39 years old by most accounts, and he had rotator cuff surgery two years ago. He has been very effective, but he's gotta be getting tired from time to time. I like the fact that he gets to rest.