PDA

View Full Version : Something i've always wondered

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 04:48 PM
if you swing at the first pitch and pop it up, in fair or foul territory, and i catch it you are out. even if it's not a high pop up. now if you swing at the first pitch and tip it and the catcher catches it, it's a strike. why is it a strike and not an out? you hit it and the catcher caught it. can anyone explain it to me?

slavko
05-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it has to rise above the batters head before it is fielded in foul territory BY THE CATCHER to be an out. Also, didya know that a foul tip strike 3 has to go directly to the catcher's mitt? Like the catcher can't catch it off his chest protector.

SOXintheBURGH
05-21-2005, 07:09 PM
On a similar note, when was the last time a batter swung on a Strike 3 and the catcher missed the catch, and the runner was safe? This happens a lot, but then the catcher just throws to first or tags the batter.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:32 PM
I think it has to rise above the batters head before it is fielded in foul territory BY THE CATCHER to be an out. Also, didya know that a foul tip strike 3 has to go directly to the catcher's mitt? Like the catcher can't catch it off his chest protector.

not true unless the umpire messed up. it happend just this month in a sox game. i forgot who it was against. one of our guys swung, and tipped the ball, it hit the catchers mitt and the catcher recovered and caught it before it hit the ground. our guy was called out for a strike out. it was on the roadtrip without hawk in toronto i think. cause i think dj said "that's not a strikeout"

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:34 PM
On a similar note, when was the last time a batter swung on a Strike 3 and the catcher missed the catch, and the runner was safe? This happens a lot, but then the catcher just throws to first or tags the batter.

drop 3rd strike. i'm very versed on baseball knowledge but that foul tip thing just doesn't make sense.

Paulwny
05-21-2005, 08:21 PM
From MLB-- key words, sharp, direct

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove or hand.

mccoydp
05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
not true unless the umpire messed up. it happend just this month in a sox game. i forgot who it was against. one of our guys swung, and tipped the ball, it hit the catchers mitt and the catcher recovered and caught it before it hit the ground. our guy was called out for a strike out. it was on the roadtrip without hawk in toronto i think. cause i think dj said "that's not a strikeout"

I seem to remember that happening to Paulie; can't be sure. I would have to run through the game archives to see.