PDA

View Full Version : Observing the Sox fans at Wrigley

Fenway
05-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Yesterday I spent a good amount of the afternoon watching the large and vocal Sox supporters at Wrigley and about the 7th inning something dawned on me.

I notice that maybe 40-50% of the fans that I saw yesterday were wearing items that all contained a variation of this logo
http://logoserver.com/baseball/ChicagoWhiteSox7690.GIF

I also saw a good number of very faded "Winning Ugly" tshirts from the 1983 season.

Now I have a few friends that have not stepped foot in the Cell since the strike because of their hatred of JR and after seeing the crowd yesterday I wonder if there are still a fair number of White Sox fans who will go see them at Wrigley but NOT at USCF.

I have also heard people say that Disco Night hurt the White Sox more than anything because of the PERCEPTION that Sox Park drew thugs.

Sunday Sun-Times will have another special report on the subject.

Alanzo XXXVIII
05-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm 21 and I have a hat like that. It's just a cool logo for a change...

scottyl
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm sure that logo is something people who remember the team in the 80s enjoy, but don't even start to suggest that we should bring that back.

niucons
05-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I've had the old sox logo on my desktop at work for the past couple of years. It's just a cool logo. The new one is cool too, I've got it up on the wall at home, but the retro thing does rock.

Southsider101
05-21-2005, 04:53 PM
People just love the reto logo. I've seen people wearing it at quite a few out-of-town ballparks where the Sox weren't playing. Could be relocated Sox fans. Lots of Sox fans have very fond memories of that Winning Ugly team.

Dick Allen
05-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I have fond memories of '83 (except for the friggin playoffs), but I never liked that logo.

jeremydavid
05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I have a faded 83 hat and a hand me down winning ugly shirt. I'm also 19 and am definately not scared of the Cell.

I also noticed this on TV though. So I think maybe it's just the yuppie northside area bringing out people's best SOX wear.

:D:

HomeFish
05-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Most people I see wearing that hat are my age and were either infants or gametes when that logo was in use.

Retro sells.

C-Dawg
05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
That old logo is a classic; in my opinion one of the very best ever used by any team.

:(: oh by the way my one and only Winning Ugly shirt has long since been retired since it was threadbare, and I bet it wouldn't even fit as well nowadays...... It seems to have, uh, shrunk. :?:

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
I loved when they wore the '83 retro jerseys a couple years back for a game, but I definitely wouldn't want them back as an everyday uniform. But you know the retro thing will remain popular for quite a while and I think it's great that people still associate those old logos with the Sox of today.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
i like it. i'd like to see it or a black/silver/white/grey updated version as our 3rd uniform

daveeym
05-21-2005, 05:22 PM
The 80's jerserys are great also, when you see a crisp clean home white one there's just something about them that look awesome. Yeah the logo's kinda cheesy but the colors and bright white on the jersey's look fantastic.

bayzbol44
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
IF people are not going to the games because of JR and the strike, then screw them. Geez, get over it already. Pay the money and go watch them, if you like baseball.

ChiSoxRowand
05-21-2005, 06:20 PM
People wear that logo because it looks cool. I am 19 and I have a hat like that. You see that logo a lot at USCF too.

FredManrique
05-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I saw a guy wearing the old hat and jersey once in Japan. He looked like a Japanese version of my 1986 Julio Cruz card. See it out here in California a bit too.

I've always preferred the late-80's Sox 'e' logo myself.

kevingrt
05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
IF people are not going to the games because of JR and the strike, then screw them. Geez, get over it already. Pay the money and go watch them, if you like baseball.

So true

mr_genius
05-21-2005, 06:37 PM
i used to wear my 83' home jersey all the time... and i was like the only person who had one (yes, i am very cool). now everyone wears that stuff.

nyak

Max Power
05-21-2005, 06:46 PM
i used to wear my 83' home jersey all the time... and i was like the only person who had one (yes, i am very cool). now everyone wears that stuff.

nyak

I'm one of those people. I wear my '83 jersey to every game. :smile:
I think it's a combination of people having fond memories of the 80's team that had that logo, retro being in fashion these days, and it just being a good logo.
I was at a Brewers game a couple weeks ago and 95% of the Brewers stuff in the park had the old MB mit logo, so it's not just the Sox having this phenomenon.

Red Barchetta
05-21-2005, 07:17 PM
If I remember correctly, that logo was never on a uniform. Was it? I think it was more for advertising purposes, etc. I remember they carried it from the late 70's with the Navy and White Pajamas-like uniforms and then colorized it for the early 80's softball, red-white-blue uniforms.

Personally, I think the current uniform/logo is not only the best SOX uniform/logo but also one of the top 2-3 in all of baseball. (Yankees and Dodgers are my other two choices).

I like retro stuff, however that logo always reminded me of street signs. "Caution - SOX Crausing"....:D:

Red Barchetta
05-21-2005, 07:18 PM
If I remember correctly, that logo was never on a uniform. Was it? I think it was more for advertising purposes, etc. I remember they carried it from the late 70's with the Navy and White Pajamas-like uniforms and then colorized it for the early 80's softball, red-white-blue uniforms.

Personally, I think the current uniform/logo is not only the best SOX uniform/logo but also one of the top 2-3 in all of baseball. (Yankees and Dodgers are my other two choices).

I like retro stuff, however that logo always reminded me of street signs. "Caution - SOX Crausing"....:D:

er "SOX Crossing" - blame it on the public school systems.:tongue:

Norberto7
05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a garbage can with that logo, still in pretty good shape (except for the inside!) I got it as a present back when it was their logo, so it's seen a few years, but it's still as cool as ever. (Maybe more so?)

SOXintheBURGH
05-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Basically, what everyone has said so far is right. People just really love that old school logo, its unique. I am sure there is a percentage of SOX fans that hate JR so much that they will never go to the Cell, but I bet there is an even larger percentage of Sox fans that just dig the logo from 20 years ago. I certainly do!

SOXintheBURGH
05-21-2005, 07:31 PM

I hear ya. I have gone to probably 40-50 Pirates games in the last 5 years. The only Bucs stuff that I have is the old Black and Gold bee stripes hat and a Clemente jersey. Its definitely not just us.

fincher
05-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Aside from the current Sox uniforms, which are awesome and classy, I think the Cardinals road jerseys and navy hat are timeless.

The '83 uniforms were lousy IMHO and so were the "E" uniforms that followed it. I'm a Sox lifer and those were the pits.

The Racehorse
05-22-2005, 12:20 AM
The '83 uniforms were lousy IMHO and so were the "E" uniforms that followed it. I'm a Sox lifer and those were the pits.

LOL... funny & true.

Jurr
05-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Nothing's better than the black and silver. Come on, folks! It's such a cool contrast seeing the Cubs in their red and blue vs. the Sox in their menacing neutral colors and the black tops. Of course, I've got some of the 80's gear, but I still dig the new stuff a ton.

FARMEO
05-22-2005, 02:38 AM
For me, that is the logo that I grew up with, and I have great memories of it. I hated the '83 uniforms when they were current, but I still have my original jersey with the allstar patch.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2005, 02:49 AM
If I remember correctly, that logo was never on a uniform. Was it?It was on the team jacket.

I think it's funny that people who are all into the "throwback" stuff tend to pick the absolute ugliest uniforms from every team to wear. Every Sox fan I knew absolutely hated those uniforms when they were actually being used. Everyone who thinks they look cool and wears them today are too young to have been around then.

This "throwback" thing of wearing ugly uniforms goes right along with the Ashton Kutcher "trucker cap" thing.

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 07:39 AM
to move the team to Fla., the lack of transparency in the engineering assesment that the old park could not be renovated, and the sterile mallpark that was a step behind the Camden Yards, Jacobs Fields revolution in the early 90's.

I have also heard people say that Disco Night hurt the White Sox more than anything because of the PERCEPTION that Sox Park drew thugs.

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 07:42 AM
gray roads are the best in my lifetime. I don't like the black tops though.

seanpmurphy
05-22-2005, 07:45 AM
It was on the team jacket.

I think it's funny that people who are all into the "throwback" stuff tend to pick the absolute ugliest uniforms from every team to wear. Every Sox fan I knew absolutely hated those uniforms when they were actually being used. Everyone who thinks they look cool and wears them today are too young to have been around then.

This "throwback" thing of wearing ugly uniforms goes right along with the Ashton Kutcher "trucker cap" thing.

Whoa man. Anything related to Ashton Kutcher is pretty bad. I don't think the throwback thing is that bad. :smile:

C-Dawg
05-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Maybe, eventually, the Bill Veeck-era softball uniforms with the floppy collars will come back in style and we'll see guys at the park with those jerseys too. Majestic, are you listening? I was a kid and watching the Sox for the first time when those uniforms were current so I have lots of fond memories of them; I'd buy a jersey in a heartbeat.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 10:11 AM
It was on the team jacket.

Does anybody know if Astros fans wear those godawful jerseys with the orange bars on them?

The Wimperoo
05-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Does anybody know if Astros fans wear those godawful jerseys with the orange bars on them?

I don't know if Astros fans do, but I have seen rappers and celebrities wearing them on TV.

C-Dawg
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I've seen those on occasion at the cell.

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't know if Astros fans do, but I have seen rappers and celebrities wearing them on TV.I rest my case.

soxGirl14
06-02-2005, 03:21 PM

im an astros fan...and ive seen a few of those on ebay and was looking into purchasing one..only because those were the colors that i remember going to the games until they changed to the navy and that gold star and now they changed it again a lil with adding red to it. but im not a gangster in a rap video, just a girl from the suburbs..lol