my5thbench
05-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Sox coach Don Cooper was just on the Score....10:30 am Sat

Orlando is going on the disabled list, he said his shoulder is not

serious they just want to get him some rest

McCarthy is said to be starting tommorrow

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Says Duque is going on the DL. Nothing serious yet but they are taking care of it now.

harwar
05-21-2005, 11:45 AM
uh oh...

Infallible
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
good, give the duke some rest. We've got a long season. Now is the time to get some work in for B Mac. We may need him further the down road.

SOXfnNlansing
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM
sounds like a bad place to start a rookie....... remember cotts and stupid JM @ yankee stadium?

Infallible
05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
and Cotts has been bad because of that? Please its not the huge psych meaning you think it is. You either have the talent or you don't.

dcb33
05-21-2005, 11:51 AM
sounds like a bad place to start a rookie....... remember cotts and stupid JM @ yankee stadium?

That was completely different becuase Buerhle was ready, willing, and able to pitch in Yankee Stadium.

mccoydp
05-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Surprised there's no news about it on the Sox home page...as far as the DL, anyway.

balke
05-21-2005, 11:52 AM

I don't think Mccarthy is much of a headcase. But is he as good as he was in SPring Training? That's the question.

downstairs
05-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Where is a good place then?

There are only 5 American League teams with a worse record vs. the Cubs, ya know.

If he's going to pitch in the majors, he's going to pitch in the majors.

DumpJerry
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM
1) BMac is ready.
2) Going into this season, we knew there was a good chance that el Duque would do a tour of duty on the DL. Better now than September/October.
3) This is a good place to start him. A poor-hitting team.

chaerulez
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Also, Cotts was only a mid level prospect at best... while McCarthy is currently the #1 guy in the organization.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
:chickenlittle

OK, it actually isn't but I am just getting ready for some of you on the board. Bmac seems like a kid with a good head on his shoulders, he'll be fine until Duque's return.

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 12:03 PM

Wasn't that down the stretch during a playoff run? Hopefully tomorrow's game won't even mean winning the series. I think McCarthy will enjoy the pressure.

dcb33
05-21-2005, 12:03 PM

Exactly. The Angels are a much better team than the suckass Cubs and when you combine that with our woeful performances on the West Coast in recent years, the Sox really need to send the best pitchers they can to try to win those games.

Bottom line is this:

Starting B-Mac against a weak Cubs offense and Garland against a more potent Angels team in California gives us the best chance to win the most games possible.

zach074
05-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Look on the bright side, he can't be worse than Diaz, Munoz, or Wright.

Rocklive99
05-21-2005, 12:10 PM

There are only 5 American League teams with a worse record vs. the Cubs, ya know.

Those 5 teams probably don't draw 40k though, I would much rather see Garland tomorow, it worked for Freddy, but I always hate when a pitcher gets an extra day of rest, and I'm worried enough about that for Contreras today

Mickster
05-21-2005, 12:10 PM
That was completely different becuase Buerhle was ready, willing, and able to pitch in Yankee Stadium.

No difference at all. Garland is ready, willing and able to pitch at the urinal at normal rest (because of the off-day), as well. Bad move by the Sox, imho.

The Racehorse
05-21-2005, 12:11 PM
If Hernandez's right wing needs rest, then so be it... give MaCarthy the ball tomorrow and let's see what he's made of...

[rhetorical question] how long has it been to have a SOX team built to withstand these type of contingencies?

tebman
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
1) BMac is ready.
2) Going into this season, we knew there was a good chance that el Duque would do a tour of duty on the DL. Better now than September/October.
Great summary -- I have a lot more confidence in Guillen's & Cooper's honest judgment of their pitchers than to second-guess them at this point. Are they taking a chance? Sure...but better to take that chance against a team that's currently on the ropes.

(of course it doesn't hurt that the enroped team is the Chicago National League Ball Club :cool: )

tstrike2000
05-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I can see the threads now about how the tools over at ESPN will be saying I told ya' so. Anyway, we needed a spot starter anyway in case of injury. If McCarthy gets roughed up and El Duque still isn't ready to go, worse case scenario is Cotts or even Hermanson spot starting. As bad as having Cotts starting is I see us getting another veteran spot starter as we get into June.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Bottom line is this:

Starting B-Mac against a weak Cubs offense and Garland against a more potent Angels team in California gives us the best chance to win the most games possible.I agree.

No difference at all. Garland is ready, willing and able to pitch at the urinal at normal rest (because of the off-day), as well. Bad move by the Sox, imho.I disagree.

Mickster
05-21-2005, 12:43 PM
I agree.

I disagree.

I completely understand dcb33's and your position but I am in favor of dealing with the games at hand and not worrring about the games next week until next week comes. If Contreras loses to the nut-job and BMac loses, we head into next week on a 2 game losing streak as opposed to a series win. All I am saying is that I think we should focus on winning this series before looking to the next.

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Those 5 teams probably don't draw 40k though, I would much rather see Garland tomorow, it worked for Freddy, but I always hate when a pitcher gets an extra day of rest, and I'm worried enough about that for Contreras today

As much as the flubbies' games mean a lot to the fans, the Angels games and Rangers games have potential wild card ramifications. Like it or not, the flubs games are for show. Every game against AL opponents means more...

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I completely understand dcb33's and your position but I am in favor of dealing with the games at hand and not worrring about the games next week until next week comes. If Contreras loses to the nut-job and BMac loses, we head into next week on a 2 game losing streak as opposed to a series win. All I am saying is that I think we should focus on winning this series before looking to the next.I'm also with George on the not messing with the rotation, too. A straight substitution is the least change possible.

Daver
05-21-2005, 12:46 PM
and Cotts has been bad because of that? Please its not the huge psych meaning you think it is. You either have the talent or you don't.

Pitching is much more mental than physical.

tsamdog
05-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Ozzie has said that B-Mac reminds him of a young Jack McDowell. If that is the case, then let the kid loose. Jack's mental toughness and tenacity were his greatest attributes. If B-Mac has those ingredients, along with his nasty stuff, I'll roll the dice on Sunday.

Ol' No. 2
05-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Why go with Garland? With Hernandez on the DL, McCarthy is going to start more than one game. With the Angels and Rangers on the road, it's better to start McCarthy today and start off the road trip with the best two starters we have. I know Garland would be going on normal rest, but it's still best not to overwork the rotation this early.

Rocklive99
05-21-2005, 12:53 PM
It makes sense if you look ahead and see the Angels in Garland's next start, it still worries me for him to make his first start in front of 40k though. This team, especially without a DH, can't be caught in a slugfest, but I guess there's no other options. I'm not going to judge BMac on his Sunday start because of all the pressure, but he should be fine if he can show his great control. It just worries me after seeing what's happened to Cotts, Munoz, etc so far. And as I said before, I always hate having them go on an extra day of rest after such success in the rythym they are in, I hope it doesn't have extra ramifications

DaleJRFan
05-21-2005, 12:55 PM
This isn't the freakin world series guys. This is May 21st, and its the Cubs. The Sox are doing the right thing, treat it like any other game or series.

El Duque is hurt, plug in McCarthy in his post in the rotation and go from there. This team was built for "plug and play" moves like this.

I look forward to McCarthy blanking the sCruBS this weekend. Go Sox!

shaunburnette
05-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Well I heard it from Kenny Williams own mouth 1 min. ago on Espn 1000. Bmac goes Sunday. Major League Debut, Wrigely Field. Anyone following that guy really could not ask for too much more. One thing is for sure, McCarthy has great mental toughness and I think the crowd will only help him. 40000 cubs fans or not.

dcb33
05-21-2005, 12:58 PM
It makes sense if you look ahead and see the Angels in Garland's next start, it still worries me for him to make his first start in front of 40k though. This team, especially without a DH, can't be caught in a slugfest, but I guess there's no other options. I'm not going to judge BMac on his Sunday start because of all the pressure, but he should be fine if he can show his great control. It just worries me after seeing what's happened to Cotts, Munoz, etc so far.

The Angels draw 40K+ a game, so there will be tons of people watching the next few games the Sox play anyway. At least tomorrow a considerable amount of the crowd will rooting for McCarthy and he won't have to deal with the adversity of flying out to the West Coast before pitching.

NDSox12
05-21-2005, 01:00 PM
It makes sense if you look ahead and see the Angels in Garland's next start, it still worries me for him to make his first start in front of 40k though.

The Angels average 40K per home game too. Granted, it will be a Monday night, but it still figures to be a pretty large crowd. That should not be a factor in the decision, IMO.

hose
05-21-2005, 01:06 PM

.......ahh except in El Duque's case.

hose
05-21-2005, 01:12 PM
McCarthy might as well pitch Sundays game against the Cubs. He is still going to have to face the Rangers and Angels. Rangers- Friday and Angels-Wednesday if El Duque isn't ready.

HebrewHammer
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm really excited to see BMac against the cubs. This is great time to find out if he can be a legit starter for us this year or if we're going to need additional help in the rotation if anyone needs to miss some time later in the year.

I think getting Iguchi and Dye a day of rest figures into the BMac decision, I want the best fielders available playing behind him. If Duque starts, those guys probably would have gotten Sunday off.

dcb33
05-21-2005, 01:16 PM
It makes sense if you look ahead and see the Angels in Garland's next start, it still worries me for him to make his first start in front of 40k though. This team, especially without a DH, can't be caught in a slugfest, but I guess there's no other options. I'm not going to judge BMac on his Sunday start because of all the pressure, but he should be fine if he can show his great control. It just worries me after seeing what's happened to Cotts, Munoz, etc so far. And as I said before, I always hate having them go on an extra day of rest after such success in the rythym they are in, I hope it doesn't have extra ramifications

Another factor you have to consider is BMac was scheduled to start last night. The Sox have already pushed his scheduled start back 2 days to Sunday. If you start tinkering and move Garland up one day becuase you're worried about him pitching after an extra day's rest, then it wouldn't make sense to not do the same for Buehrle. That would push B-Mac's start back to Tuesday, meaning they would be moving his start back 4 whole days. He may as well start tomorrow before he gets too rusty...

Realist
05-21-2005, 01:19 PM
McCarthy's mental maturity combined with Ozzie's loosey goosey atmosphere in the clubhouse tell me there's a very good chance that McCarthy is going to just fine during this call up. Time will tell.

I'd like to think that we're in the early to mid stages of another 8 game winning streak.

johnny_mostil
05-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Unless you have a 68 mph fastball. Then being a baseball Einstein won't help.

TomParrish79
05-21-2005, 01:59 PM
hmmm hope El Duque gets better quickly

Lip Man 1
05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I have been covering the state softball tournament the past three days and am just now catching up on things.

I am disappointed in the Hernandez situation because of what it could possibly imply. The Sox are saying it's not serious and are being cautious, and that is a wise move in my opinion. History shows Orlando has had shoulder issues the past few years...considering he didn't pitch much last season and we are only six weeks into this season,you have to wonder what may be going on.

Personally I think the Twins aren't going to go away. Hernandez is going to be needed for the stretch run and his post season accomplishments speak for themselves.

As for McCarthy I hope he does well...it's best to find out now in May rather then wait until September. He's compared to Jack McDowell, but remember even Jack took three seasons before he had his breakout year in 1990, under a lot less pressure and expectations.

Depending on how things go, the Sox could be looking for the exact same thing at the trade deadline as they were in 2004, 2003 and 2002 (at least)... another quality starter.

I hope things turn out as the Saturday Sun-Times story speculated, that McCarthy will 'probably be starting one or two games before going back to Charlotte,' as opposed to a columnsist in the same paper who made it sound like Hernandez's arm is about to fall off and the 'baseball gods' are about to turn on the White Sox. Remember pitching wins pennants.

We'll see...

Lip

jeremydavid
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
We have got two of three on the baby bears and are 31 and 12. If El Duque needs some time there is no reason not to. This is no brainer.

ExpoPuddingHead
05-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I know that Cotts has been pretty bad but you have to realize something about him. He came straight from AA to the majors and had an amazing year in the bullpen last year if you realize he had one terrible start and was enormously overworked. He's doing pretty bad this year. So don't get down on him.

Infallible
05-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Agree but one game against the Cubs isn't going to break the 21 yo Mcarthy. Munoz came back just fine after that shelling he took against the M's last year.....well ok he was partially sucessful in his other performances where he didn't surrended 9 runs. The point I was trying to make is Brendan should be fine especially if it'll give El Duque some rest while at the same time afford some more MLB experience to B Mac.

ChiSoxRowand
05-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I'd much rather have McCarthy make his debut against the Cubs than the Angels or Rangers. Cubs are a bad team.

elrod
05-21-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm only concerned about him in Texas. The one team that hit him hard in Spring Training was the Rangers. He dominated the Angels TWICE in Spring Training. And if I can recall, most of the hitters were big leaguers, not AA call-ups.

batmanZoSo
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM

I like it a lot better than putting someone in there on 3 days rest. That never works. We already won the series, so tomorrow is gravy. This kid has to step in and perform and the cubs aren't much of a lineup to face with all their strikeout artists. You might as well throw him out there and show him what the big dance is all about. It's the same strike zone as the minor leagues. You've got good stuff. Go after the hitters and throw strikes, damnit. And don't give Lee anything to hit. He'll be fine if he follows these simple orders. :wink:

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I like it a lot better than putting someone in there on 3 days rest. That never works. We already won the series, so tomorrow is gravy. This kid has to step in and perform and the cubs aren't much of a lineup to face with all their strikeout artists. You might as well throw him out there and show him what the big dance is all about. It's the same strike zone as the minor leagues. You've got good stuff. Go after the hitters and throw strikes, damnit. And don't give Lee anything to hit. He'll be fine if he follows these simple orders. :wink:

Because of the off day, it would have been a regular rest period for both Garland on Sunday and (in theory) Buehrle on Monday. Still, putting McCarthy out there on a nothing to lose Sunday against the weakest hiting team the Sox are going to see in a while is the right idea.