PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up to WGN broadcast yesterday

SoupAppling
05-21-2005, 07:49 AM
I'd like to give a thumbs up to the broadcast on WGN yesterday for a couple reasons:

1) They went to commercial during 7th inning stretch. No annoying singing from whatever goofball is in town to promote something.

2) The shot of the "L" flag going up on the scoreboard at the end of the game. Priceless.

3) A shot of a Sox fan wearing a black Sox jersey with the name Bartman at the end of the game as the crowd was filing out. That name still cracks me up, it was like a parting shot at the scrubs at the end of the broadcast.

hsnterprize
05-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I agree...kudos to WGN for treating the Sox game like any other Sox road game. No 7th inning stretch, Sox fans being focused on by cameramen, and Hawk's play-by-play. It was good they and Comcast agreed to broadcast yesterday's and Sunday's game like that. It truly gives fans the option on who they want to listen to. Of course...there's always Rooney and Farmio for those of us who like them the best.

mike squires
05-21-2005, 08:14 AM
I'll agree it was nice watching our teams broadcasters in Wrigley but Hawk seemed to be forcing his enthusiasm a bit and DJ was making his usual profound remarks..."Those railing can be ver dangerous." Maybe it was just me. I did like Hawks call on Crede's dinger though...Mercy!!!

ilsox7
05-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Sadly, none of this makes up for WGN constantly missing the first pitch of each half inning. They are horrible.

fquaye149
05-21-2005, 08:30 AM
We missed Crede's HOME RUN!!!!!!!!:angry:

MRKARNO
05-21-2005, 08:55 AM
We missed Crede's HOME RUN!!!!!!!!:angry:

And on Pierzynski's RBI hit, they flashed to Maddux before the shot of the hit. Thumbs down to WGN for missing two of the most important events of the game, regardless of that other stuff.

Ol' No. 2
05-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Sadly, none of this makes up for WGN constantly missing the first pitch of each half inning. They are horrible.They're not alone in this. Comcast does this pretty often, too. You wouldn't think you'd need Albert Einstein to figure this out.

Paulwny
05-21-2005, 09:25 AM
They're not alone in this. Comcast does this pretty often, too. You wouldn't think you'd need Albert Einstein to figure this out.

I suspect this problem exists in all of the mlb broadcasts.
Too many commercials to fit in and the umps trying to speed up the game.
I find the yankmee tv/radio broadcasts often miss the 1st pitch to the next innings lead-off hitter.

harwar
05-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Yea,its pretty annoying how the umps are always hassling the managers and coaches during mound visits to speed the game along just so they can get more commercials in.
You can almost read the umps lips when they come out there saying .. "lets go boys,lets move it along,we've got a commercial break coming up here real quick like."
Its the age we live in i guess.

Jjav829
05-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Huge thumbs down. They don't deserve credit for going to commercial rather than showing the 7th inning stretch. The game was being handled as a Sox road game, so that's something they should have done. As was mentioned, they completely missed Crede's HR and the Pierzynski hit. You never miss live action for a replay. This is simple stuff and they screwed it up. And since they always have to get that extra commercial time, they missed quite a few first pitches, one of which was Crede's HR. WGN SUCKS!

kevingrt
05-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I totally agree with Jjav how do you miss friggin Crede's homerun. How do you miss a pitch! IT's disgusting... I did like some of the small stuff like the no seventh inning and the L flag but there quality was TERRIBLE!

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 10:40 AM
What are you guys talking about?! Hawk is the worst announcer of all time, they didn't show the 7th inning stretch (the best part of the game), and they weren't objective at all!
Blah Blah Blah

my5thbench
05-21-2005, 10:55 AM
I watched most on WGN but did switch to Comcast during the 7th, they

did show the Chicago women's pro softball team sing, 4 nice looking girls

including that '04 Olympic pitcher Finch I think....believe it or not it was

GREAT they sang "root root root for Chicago" & did no individual Cub

cheering

SOXfnNlansing
05-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought DJ was falling in love with patterson. DJ even made his "difficult" catch in the ivy by Crede the Comcast defensive play of the game. DJ told Hawk that patterson struck out 168 times last year and still hit .266 . DJ went on and on about how patterson is such a great player and a 5 tool guy. It kind of sickened me especially giving the defensive play of the game to a cub when there were plenty of SOX gems on that field; I can remember atleast 3 solid plays by Crede for example.

TheOldRoman
05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I thought DJ was falling in love with patterson. DJ even made his "difficult" catch in the ivy by Crede the Comcast defensive play of the game.
Don't take it literally. Those "defensive plays of the game" are a joke now. They used to wait til the end of the game and show one, but now they show "defensive play of the game brought to you by Giordano's" after every good defensive play. Same thing with the Bulls, where after every big shot they would have "today's game changing performance brought to you by Midas." They usually several "plays of the game" every day. Its just a fancy way of showing a replay and getting a sponsor in.

Banix12
05-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm just happy the sox broadcast was on the Superstation, I was traveling yesterday and thought I was gonna miss the game, instead I was able to watch it sitting in the Terminal at John Wayne Airport. Saw everything up till the Jermaine Dye homer.

skobabe8
05-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Fox 32's post game show had a few shots of the L flag on saturday. beautiful! :D:

bayzbol44
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Besides the 2 great plays they missed and letting Hawk do the play by play, the coverage was great.