PDA

View Full Version : Vlad Guerrero injured while trying to score

dcb33
05-21-2005, 12:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2065126

BBTN also reported that he might have seperated his shoulder...

Looks like we may be playing the Angels at the perfect time!

owensmouth
05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I just saw a the film of what happened. Vlad came chugging around third and attempted a head first slide into home. He just landed wrong and was slow to get up and it appeared that he was favoring his left wrist/hand. According to the reporter, nothing will be said until tomorrow. That would be a HUGE loss for the Angels. Last year's MVP, an honor he earned. It would be a shame for him to be hurt, but on the other hand, we do have 7 games with the Angels staring us in the face.

California Sox
05-21-2005, 01:14 AM
I think Vlad is one of the most talented, and classiest players in the game. I hope he gets well soon. Right after we're finished playing the Angels.

elrod
05-21-2005, 07:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2065126

No telling how serious it is but Vladimir Guerrero jammed his shoulder and his arm was in a sling. If he misses some or all of the upcoming series in Anaheim then a big threat is out of their lineup.

seanpmurphy
05-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Hope he's all right. Too good of a player to see go down on something like that. Of course I really won't miss him if he's out of the line-up for a couple of a games in the upcoming series.

gosox41
05-21-2005, 08:04 AM
I just saw a the film of what happened. Vlad came chugging around third and attempted a head first slide into home. He just landed wrong and was slow to get up and it appeared that he was favoring his left wrist/hand. According to the reporter, nothing will be said until tomorrow. That would be a HUGE loss for the Angels. Last year's MVP, an honor he earned. It would be a shame for him to be hurt, but on the other hand, we do have 7 games with the Angels staring us in the face.

I don't get why so many players risk injury by sliding head first.

Bob

RKMeibalane
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM

Bob

I'm sure most of them try to avoid doing it, but when a base-runner is in the process of trying to score a run, he's usually not thinking about whether he's going to hurt himself. Guerrero is one of the hardest working players in all of baseball, and I'm sure he probably was concerned only with trying to get another run across. If the situaton had been different, he might have slid feet first.

harwar
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Baserunning is the only thing that this guys doesn't do well.
He is a great player with a great attitude toward the game and i hope he is in the lineup when we face the angels.

hawkjt
05-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry but I am hoping that Vlad is out for two weeks and that K-Rod is also out for awhile . I aint proud and I want to win anyway we can.

This stretch with cubs,angels and texas is too pivotable to not want any advantage possible.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm sure most of them try to avoid doing it, but when a base-runner is in the process of trying to score a run, he's usually not thinking about whether he's going to hurt himself. Guerrero is one of the hardest working players in all of baseball, and I'm sure he probably was concerned only with trying to get another run across. If the situaton had been different, he might have slid feet first.How does this explain why one would slide head first instead of feet first? :?:

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I was looking forward to seeing Vlad so that kinda sucks. So far we've had the Tigers with no Mags, the O's without Sosa, and now the Angels without Vlad. I guess things are lining up for us. On the other hand, the only way to judge talent is by playing the opposition's best. I already see the media spinning a Sox win as being over a weakened team.

SoxFan76
05-21-2005, 11:53 AM
This works well for the Sox, however I wish him a speedy recovery right after the Sox/Angels series. He's a fun player to watch.

owensmouth
05-21-2005, 12:09 PM

Bob

Some guys call it sliding, but Vlad really looked more like he was doing a belly flop. I hate to see someone who adds so much to a baseball game get injured. He is one of the few top players who seem to have the same joy playing the game as a 10 year old.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2005, 12:58 PM
How does this explain why one would slide head first instead of feet first? :?:

In the heat of the moment, Vlad probably just followed through on whatever he first impulse was, in this case, sliding head-first. He probably didn't think he would get hurt.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 01:01 PM
In the heat of the moment, Vlad probably just followed through on whatever he first impulse was, in this case, sliding head-first. He probably didn't think he would get hurt.Which gets back to Bob's original question. Why head first instead of feet first? It makes no sense.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Which gets back to Bob's original question. Why head first instead of feet first? It makes no sense.

I don't know. Head-first sliding has become commonplace in baseball. I think a lot of players are doing it because they are under the impression that it's a more successful way of reaching base safely or scoring, even though there isn't any evidence of this.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't know. Head-first sliding has become commonplace in baseball. I think a lot of players are doing it because they are under the impression that it's a more successful way of reaching base safely or scoring, even though there isn't any evidence of this.And it makes absolutely no sense.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2005, 02:00 PM
And it makes absolutely no sense.

There are a lot of things in baseball that don't make any sense, such as the Cubs and their ridiculous fans.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Not that Vlad slid head first to home for this reason but I read this interesting tidbit on Tim Raines.

Admitted to being a cocaine user and used to get high during games. Raines told reporters that he would keep a vial of coke in his pocket and would slide head-first while stealing to make sure the vial wouldn't break.

I got this from an RBI Baseball fansite, if you want more check it out here. (http://dee-nee.com/rbi/hallofshame.shtml)

Brian26
05-21-2005, 02:46 PM
And it makes absolutely no sense.

ESPECIALLY, though, at home plate. That's just a recipe for disaster.