PDA

View Full Version : Pierzynski for next 2 games?

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Pierzynski obviously has one of the hottest bats in the lineup lately; but, Ozzie seems to put Widger out there once a series, or somewhere around there, to give Pierzynski a break. While I wouldn't mind Widger in a "pinch," I would much rather have Pierzynski out there...I think his extra hunger to beat these guys is apparent through his comments in the media.

Bisco Stu
05-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Catching's a different animal.

Look what it's done to Mike Piazza.

But since we were off Thur I could see Oz playing the hot hand and w/ 3 day games, AJ playing all 3. But you wanna keep Widger sharp too.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2005, 12:59 AM
But since we were off Thur I could see Oz playing the hot hand and w/ 3 day games, AJ playing all 3. But you wanna keep Widger sharp too.

This brings up another thing to consider...Do we have AJ start Monday as well (it's basically a day off in between, since it's such a late start) to anchor the series in Anaheim, or does Widger start that one???

tschneid83
05-21-2005, 01:14 AM
one thing that i think we all over look is that i am sure ozzie asks the players how they are feeling. If he wants a day off i believe he deserves it. Yes, AJ is hot hot hot right now but would one day off kill how he is doing, i doubt it, especially if we win tom (which we will).

MRKARNO
05-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Let him stay in this whole series and he can take his rest when we get the extra hitter back in Anaheim.

jabrch
05-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't mind Widger - but with AJ on a tear, and the games all being day games, I have no problem with AJ playing all three.

As far as unsung heros go, take a look at Widger's production. He's hitting .317/.378/.488 in 41 ABs. In games he has played, he has stepped up HUGE, including 4 multi-hit games, and only being held hitless 2 games if he got 3+ ABs. That's impressive for a backup catcher who was an NRI going into camp and was 4th on the depthchart at that time. Add in that the pitchers all seem to like him, and he is a major bargain.

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
All the flubs SP are RH. I say leave AJ in the lineup. With them all being day games, he doesn't have any short turnarounds like he sometimes does on the final game of a series (day game following night game).

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Let him stay in this whole series and he can take his rest when we get the extra hitter back in Anaheim.

I voted for Widger palying a game because I think catchers need to rest their knees, but this is a valid point. It may be good to keep the best offense out there when the pitcher is hitting, though Widger hasn't been a slouch this season.