PDA

View Full Version : Grobber: Looking at the game thru blue colored glasses...

DrCrawdad
05-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Joe Crede lined one thru a very strong NE wind and into the left field basket for his 4th homer of the season.

"Into the basket?" Crede's smash hit off the chainlink fence behind the bleachers and bounced back on the field, hardly a mere basket shot.

Continuing Grobber's practice of overestimating the Cub fan-to-Sox fan breakdown...

...played in front of an overwhelming Cub Fan majority (likely over 90% Cub Fans). Sox Fans that somehow got tickets will be heard from if their team does well, otherwise they are pretty quiet in Wrigley. Next Month when the series moves to the South Side, it will be more of a split crowd, but the Sox will have a majority (likely 60%). The Sox have tried since 1997 to figure out ways to keep Cub Fans out of the South Side Park for these games, but have failed.

Interesting to note what I've heard from other Cubbie fans who were there today...

"The crowd seemed almost half-and-half today, but you'd not have known the Sox fans by their dress -- many of them didn't wear the usual Konerko and other team jerseys. In fact, one of the most prominent ones I saw was a guy wearing a vintage Sox Tom Seaver shirt, standing near us. There weren't any incidents -- I think everyone was just happy to see the sun shine in Chicago after a couple of foggy, rainy days, and I also didn't see any homemade signs, which is unusual for a Cub-Sox series." - Cubbie blogger who's attends nearly every game.

Palpidious
05-20-2005, 11:54 PM
grobber biased when it comes to cubs/sox? NEVER!!!!

dickallen15
05-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Why would Cub fans fill USCF? According to them it is a horrible park. Aren't they afraid they are going to get killed in that neighborhood? There is no place within 2 blocks of the park to smash together like sardines, scream at the person 6 inches from your face so they can hear you, and pay $6 a beer to get stupid drunk, yet according to Grobber it will be 40% Cub fans. If it was only 10% Sox fans at the Urinal today, they were the loudest 3800 fans I have ever heard anywhere. Maybe the rest of the Sox fans were doing what most people are doing on a Friday afternoon-working.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Grobber? Where are you?

While you are a huge Cubbie fan, I've always given you credit for being accurate and fair. These quotes are neither. Wassup?

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2005, 12:04 AM
No way it was 90% Cub fans. It was probably 70/30. There were a lot of Sox fans not wearing Sox stuff (like me), as the multitudes of cheering throughout the park would attest to.

And I just rewatched the game; Crede's shot was no line shot into the basket. He MURDERED that ball. Mercy!

:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
05-21-2005, 12:09 AM
And I just rewatched the game; Crede's shot was no line shot into the basket. He MURDERED that ball. Mercy!If it weren't for the chainlink fence behind the bleachers, that ball would have been (insert Brickhouse voice here) "all the way out on Waveland Avenue."

StillMissOzzie
05-21-2005, 12:43 AM
And about that overwhelming Cub fan majority, let me get this straight: Anybody with a high speed ISP and a few Windows tricks could get tickets to the Sox vs. sCrUBS games at the Urinal, but it was 90% sCrUB fans & 10% Sox fans. To get ANY tickets to the Sox vs. sCrUBS at USCF, you either had to get the 9/13 game packages or exercise a special purchase option given to ST holders to buy additional tickets, and THEN it will be 60% Sox & 40% sCrUB fans? *****, Grobber.

SMO
:bs: :kukoo: :nuts:

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Grobber? Where are you?

While you are a huge Cubbie fan, I've always given you credit for being accurate and fair. These quotes are neither. Wassup?I'm bummin'. I always thought Grobber was a stand up guy. If these quotes are accurate, he's nothing be another complete mediot. :(:

NSSoxFan
05-21-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm bummin'. I always thought Grobber was a stand up guy. If these quotes are accurate, he's nothing be another complete mediot. :(:

Grobber better come out soon and clarify this b.s. that he wrote. There were AT LEAST 30% Sox fans at the game on Friday.

jdm2662
05-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Just to be fair, Les did not say in the game report there were 90% Cub fans at today's game. He said in his Friday rant section there are usually 90% Cub fans during the Wrigley games. This was not written in the game report as he did not make an educated guess per say of what was the split for today's game. Whether that is accurate or not, we will never know since none of us actually count... I'll be at the game tommorrow. I will make my own estimate as to what is the split.
________
Blonde Goddess (http://www.****tube.com/categories/316/goddess/videos/1)

DrCrawdad
05-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Grobber? Where are you?

While you are a huge Cubbie fan, I've always given you credit for being accurate and fair. These quotes are neither. Wassup?

Anyone who wants can read Grobber's comments in context at his website, http://www.grobber.com. If you go there you'll see that Grobber had many candid comments about the Cubbies and positive thoughts on the Sox. I snipped the ones that stood-out to me. Grobber's comment about the attendance breakdown while it was written before the game, in a email to me he voiced seemed to stand by that.

I'll email this link to him.

Dan H
05-21-2005, 07:08 AM
If it weren't for the chainlink fence behind the bleachers, that ball would have been (insert Brickhouse voice here) "all the way out on Waveland Avenue."

Not to mention it was against a stiff wind. And just remember that basket is there becasue Cub fans are jerks.

C-Dawg
05-21-2005, 07:15 AM
To get ANY tickets to the Sox vs. sCrUBS at USCF, you either had to get the 9/13 game packages or exercise a special purchase option given to ST holders to buy additional tickets, and THEN it will be 60% Sox & 40% sCrUB fans?

Here's how they do it:

1. Buy 9- or 13- game packages online using Daddy's credit card.
2. Attend Cub-Sox games at USCF.
3. Unload all other tickets on Ebay, or in the trash can if they're lazy.
(or attend a few, whichever bandwagon they happen to be on,
rooting against the Sox of course)

Yes I know I sound bitter but I DO know two guys who are doing it this way.

hose
05-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I would like to hear Les's report on what was thrown at Jermaine Dye in the 7th inning.

Voodoo pegs it as turkey legs and with his culinary background I have to go along with his hunch.

I'll cut Grobber a bit of slack on his Crede home run call, may be Les got Joe's blast off Browoski that nearly made the basket mixed up with the massive shot off Maddux.

Les is a Cub fan but he is no Mike Murphy.

gosox41
05-21-2005, 08:12 AM

At least he's not here promoting his website...yet.

Bob

TornLabrum
05-21-2005, 08:31 AM
At least he's not here promoting his website...yet.

Bob

And when he is here he doesn't promote it. Grobber is a stand-up guy.

bigfoot
05-21-2005, 08:35 AM
...... And just remember that basket is there because Cub fans are jerks.

And.....because they had a nasty habit of bouncing off the warning track! It should be renamed the DrunkenCubCatcher.

Dick Allen
05-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I would like to hear Les's report on what was thrown at Jermaine Dye in the 7th inning.

Voodoo pegs it as turkey legs and with his culinary background I have to go along with his hunch.

I'll cut Grobber a bit of slack on his Crede home run call, may be Les got Joe's blast off Browoski that nearly made the basket mixed up with the massive shot off Maddux.

Les is a Cub fan but he is no Mike Murphy.You should have heard Murphy's show last night. It was over the top, even for him. Non-stop whining.

Grobber33
05-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Right,,,,NOBODY on this site is biased either right???? At least I'm honest. On MY site I picked the Sox 1st and the Cubs 4th. NOBODY on this site in their right minds would have thought the Sox would have the record they now have. Dr Crawdad(whom I consider a good friend BTW)whined last year after the Cubs swept the 3 games here at Wrigley hat I was 'gloating'. Fact is,,I declared the Cubs 'City Champs' and he could'nt handle that. Heck, I did'nt walk those guys in the 9th like Shingo and Marte did. Dont blame me.
Also,there WERE 90% Cub Fans in Wrigley like there will be all weekend. Sox fans made the most noise since they had everything to cheer about,but there were no more than about 6000 here. The amount of Sox Fans here does'nt even sniff the amount of Cards Fans that come here.
I'm not in the business to kiss any teams butt. I dont do that for the Cubs and certainly wont do that to the Sox either. I'll let all of you here do that!
If anything,,,,I have been trashing the Cubs since March 1,and dont have to answer to anyone. That's one advantage of not working at the Score(where they have been ORDERED to call the South Side Ballpark by it's sold name,,,or ESPN 1000 where they still have to kiss the Sox backsides untill they officialy lose the rights to the Score(which they will).
I'm not cheerleading the Sox,Cubs(they are'nt worth it) or anybody else here----DEAL WITH IT

Grobber33
05-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Why would Cub fans fill USCF? According to them it is a horrible park. Aren't they afraid they are going to get killed in that neighborhood? There is no place within 2 blocks of the park to smash together like sardines, scream at the person 6 inches from your face so they can hear you, and pay $6 a beer to get stupid drunk, yet according to Grobber it will be 40% Cub fans. If it was only 10% Sox fans at the Urinal today, they were the loudest 3800 fans I have ever heard anywhere. Maybe the rest of the Sox fans were doing what most people are doing on a Friday afternoon-working.

As I have always said---that proves that legit Cubs Fans(who will go to Comiskey next Month)are there to see the Ballgame,,not the ballpark like so many here like to claim. Cub Fans dont like the 'Tourists' that infest Wrigley any more than you guys here do. Cub Management like them,because they like their $$$. Most of us wish they would all disappear.

Grobber33
05-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Grobber better come out soon and clarify this b.s. that he wrote. There were AT LEAST 30% Sox fans at the game on Friday.

FOR THE LAST TIME---I stand by my statements TOTALY.

FarWestChicago
05-21-2005, 11:16 AM
FOR THE LAST TIME---I stand by my statements TOTALY.What about the Crede home run?

Mickster
05-21-2005, 11:26 AM
What about the Crede home run?

Unless Les thinks the basket is the chain link fence between the LF beachers and Waveland, he can not defend that statement. The ball didn't even end up in the basket!

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 11:28 AM

6000 does not equal 10% of 39K. You standing by that too? :tongue:

tebman
05-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Unless Les thinks the basket is the chain link fence between the LF beachers and Waveland, he can not defend that statement. The ball didn't even end up in the basket!

C'mon guys -- we have more important things to argue about (like watching for when Weldelstedt is on the ump crew again for a Sox game). I don't know Les, but I've listened to him and read his stuff for over 20 years and often don't agree, but always thought he was a stand-up guy.

FWIW, he *did* pick the Cubs to finish deep in their division this year. I hardly think that makes him a TribCo apologist.

Grobber33
05-21-2005, 11:34 AM
6000 does not equal 10% of 39K. You standing by that too? :tongue:
Your're right,there were not THAT many in the Park. Somewhere between 3800 and 4000. How many more NIT-PICKINGS are out there???
Crede's ball equaled 4 bases and a run.

HebrewHammer
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Your're right,there were not THAT many in the Park. Somewhere between 3800 and 4000. How many more NIT-PICKINGS are out there???

You claimed Crede's HR only made it to the bozo buckets, it actually hit the fence in the back of the bleachers, please be more careful next time.

We'll never know how many Sox fans were in attendance, it seemed like more than 4000. I've gone to four Cubs/Sox games and this was the first time I sat next to Sox fans that didn't come with me to the ballpark. It's been stated on this thread earlier that if there were only 4000 Sox fans they were the loudest 4,000 I've ever heard. A lot of people who appeared to be rooting for the Sox weren't necessarily wearing Sox merchandise. If I remember correctly it was about a 60/40 Sox/Cubs split last year at The Cell, I'm expecting fewer Cub fans this year because of the team's poor performance. Why risk going into a hellhole if your team sucks?

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM

Easy now Grobber... I was teasing... note the little smilie face at the end of the post?

Me thinks he doth protest too much...:wink:

Soxzilla
05-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Don't worry Grobber. I'd be upset to if I was a Cubs fan right now.:tongue:

OH I KID. I KID!

cheeses_h_rice
05-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Les, I love ya, babe, but you gotta lay off the Kubbie Krack. I was there, in the stands, walking around for a good part of the game, and the ratio was about 3 Sox fans out of 10.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2005, 01:47 PM

You're on crack, Grobber. I was in the last row of section 104 and everytime the Sox scored all of the Sox Fans would stand up in the rows in front of me. we were every bit of 30 percent of that section. In fact in my party of four, there was 2 Flubs fan, 1 Sox Fan (me), and one non-affiliated. We blended right in.

:bluerock
"3800 equals 30 percent if you're on this."

Fenway
05-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I made my estimate yesterday as

I would say 10-15,000 Sox fans at least and very loud

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=696794&postcount=12

BTW I just want to go on record that i hate scooter

hose
05-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Cheeses/PHG/Fenway in the stands.....Les scarfing down free hot dogs in bowels of the press box....I'll go with the WSI guys acount.:D:

NSSoxFan
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM

Les, you can stick by your statements all you want, doesn't make them right. There were more Sox fans at the game Friday then you are making it out to be. Also, how in the world did you estimate 3,800-4,000 Sox fans?

shoota
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Right,,,,NOBODY on this site is biased either right???? At least I'm honest. On MY site I picked the Sox 1st and the Cubs 4th.

I don't know your history, but it's possible you made those predictions so that any Cubs finish above 4th would be seen as a success, while anything less than an AL Central victory for the Sox would be called a disappointment by you. And you would then write that on your website which I've never frequented.

I understand the opinion of the percentage of Sox fans in attendance can be subjective, but Crede's home run with clear video proof cannot be construed in any other way. How do you explain that?

Have you issued an explanation at your website along with an apology for your false statement? I'm not trying to be negative or anything, especially when the Sox just owned the Cubs at Wrigley for the second straight day. I'm just saying that respected media acknowledge their errors publicly because they value credibility. If you don't hold the same value system, that's fine too.

jdm2662
05-21-2005, 06:04 PM
I was at today's game and I would estimate the split to be 80/20, and that 20 is a generous estimate. The fact is there are 29,000 season ticket holders for the Cubs which makes it hard for anyone to get tickets for games, let alone Sox fans. All that mattered to me was a win, and I got that.
________
R1200C (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1200C)

batmanZoSo
05-21-2005, 06:51 PM
It was not even close to 90% and it won't be 40% cub fans at the Cell either. It's always about 20-30% infiltrators in each park for each game. When I was at Wrigley Friday, there were plenty of Sox fans around me and even a peaut vendor I talked to was a Sox fan. I made it a point to scan the crowd whenever we scored and it was least 1 Sox fan for every 4 cub fans.

Personally I think this is the best showing we've ever made at Wrigley both in numbers and enthusiasm. (not to mention play)

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
It was not even close to 90% and it won't be 40% cub fans at the Cell either. It's always about 20-30% infiltrators in each park for each game. When I was at Wrigley Friday, there were plenty of Sox fans around me and even a peaut vendor I talked to was a Sox fan. I made it a point to scan the crowd whenever we scored and it was least 1 Sox fan for every 4 cub fans.

Personally I think this is the best showing we've ever made at Wrigley both in numbers and enthusiasm. (not to mention play)

*puts on grobber mask*

GIMMIE A BREAK. there were 4 sox fans in the stands this weekend. and even they had to be held back by security so they didn't run onto the field. sox fans still suck. but hey i love to have my cake and eat it too. i pick the sox to finish first so i can tell you that to justify my comments about them and i pick the cubs 4th cause well i always do. and if they win i act like i knew it all along and if they suck (as usual) i tell you guys "what do you want, i didnt pick them to win first" i'm auditioning for a job at ESPN so i can get paid to talk out of both sides of my mouth...

Ol' No. 2
05-21-2005, 07:23 PM
I was at today's game and I would estimate the split to be 80/20, and that 20 is a generous estimate. The fact is there are 29,000 season ticket holders for the Cubs which makes it hard for anyone to get tickets for games, let alone Sox fans. All that mattered to me was a win, and I got that.Many of those season ticket seats had Sox fan butts in them. Many of them are corporate seats.

voodoochile
05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Many of those season ticket seats had Sox fan butts in them. Many of them are corporate seats.

I was watching the crowd behind the flubbies dugout yesterday, looking to see if Steff would pop up on the screen yelling at security :tongue:. This was a common view everytime a RH batter would hit they would show the closeup from the Sox dugout camera well.

No Steff, but I can tell you I saw a ton of Sox gear over there.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Submitted for discussion purposes (Les is a friend of mine...) only:

From the Sunday Tribune by Dave van Dyke:

"The crowd: Whatever happened to the Friendly Confines? The official count was 39,461, but it sounded about evenly split, so Sox fans either must be inventive or rich, or perhaps both, because they seem to have gobbled up scalpers' supplies. Cubs fans were most vocal when they booed almost every reliever who entered the game."

Lip

Grobber33
05-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Darned,,,,I cant tell you(LOL)how FLATTERED I am that comments and oppinions by little ole me get the blood rushing from some here(and elsewhere).Also Hose: Know what you are talking about. Free food in the press box has not existed for almost 10 years(except at Bears games and give that time---it will change as soon as the NFL ALLOWS teams to charge reporters--the Bears will be 1st in line to start charging with the Ariz Cards and NY Giants right behind them).That's fine with me since it will keep the TRUE freeloaders away.
I pay, AND I tip quite generously--thank you!!
And on that subject,,,,I could care less what a couple of mid day chaps,or anyone else on my former Station(670)say about food and me. I hate creamcheese and have since I was a kid.The next sandwich I stick in my pocket at an event will be the first,,but I cant fire back since they are in the 'Ivory Tower' and I obviously am not-but that's fine. Besides,it's not my style most of the time. They never(any more)attend games to face the music from Athletes and others they rip anyway.
Perhaps I had to put up with that crap from Heavey Weight types like Larry Lujack,Steve Dahl,Jonathan Brandmeier,Kevin Matthews,Fred Winston,Bob Sirott etc,but nobody on either Sports Station is in that caliber, so 'sticks and stones' as someone plenty smarter than I once said.
Cant wait to see how Sox Management deals with some Score 'stuff' when they dump 1000 and jump to 670 next year!!!

Brian26
05-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Perhaps I had to put up with that crap from Heavey Weight types like Larry Lujack,Steve Dahl,Jonathan Brandmeier,Kevin Matthews,Fred Winston,Bob Sirott etc,but nobody on either Sports Station is in that caliber,

The day Fred Winston is a "heavyweight" in this town is the day Ivan DeJesus comes out of retirement and wins the NL MVP.

I agree with you about the Score radio guys, though. They're one step up from working college radio. It's a joke that half of these guys can be heard on 50,000 watt stations in a major market.

Brian26
05-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Unlike Ricky Guitterez' cheap-ass 350-ft basket-landing grandslam that beat us on that Friday afternoon in 2001.

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Not to mention it was against a stiff wind. And just remember that basket is there becasue Cub fans are jerks.

No Dan,it's there because the new breed of sCrUBS fan
(1984-present) is A LUSH WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHEN TO
SAY WHEN!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Grobber33
05-22-2005, 05:04 PM
The day Fred Winston is a "heavyweight" in this town is the day Ivan DeJesus comes out of retirement and wins the NL MVP.

I agree with you about the Score radio guys, though. They're one step up from working college radio. It's a joke that half of these guys can be heard on 50,000 watt stations in a major market.

He's lasted over 35 years here on major stations. I would say that qualifies.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
He's lasted over 35 years here on major stations. I would say that qualifies.

Hey Les, did you get the picture/email I sent you today from my cell phone? I was sitting right next to the pressbox, in section 523.

I attended the game with my nearly four year-old daughter, sans wife. We both had a great time. In the section I sat in there was no ignorant behaviour. Although, I did get a hateful glare from a Cubbie fan when we cheered Dye's HR.

As we followed the masses down the ramps, I had one minor incident with a Cubbie fan. As I said I was with my little girl, had not a drop of alchohol and was minding my business on the way out.

One goofie Cubbie fan felt the need to tell me that I needed the give my daughter a Cubs shirt, to which I replied, "I don't want my daughter corrupted."

The Cubbie goof responded with, "You have a lot of nerve talking trash since you're miles from The Cell." I was a bit surprised at the goof's response, seeing that he initiated it. I shook my head and kept moving.

I agree with Buehrle's comment, "It seems like they can dish it out, but can't take it. Once I go back and say something to them, it seems like they get their hearts broken."

BTW We had two lousy hot-dogs at The Crumbling Confines. Now I know why the Cubbies are copying the Sox (again) and switching to the Sox concession company next year.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Cant wait to see how Sox Management deals with some Score 'stuff' when they dump 1000 and jump to 670 next year!!!

Les, do you know something definitive about that speculated Sox move to WSCR that we nor the general public does?

Fenway
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Les, do you know something definitive about that speculated Sox move to WSCR that we nor the general public does?

a friend of my in ad sales for Infinity owned WBCN says its a done deal.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 09:04 PM
a friend of my in ad sales for Infinity owned WBCN says its a done deal.

Will there be a forthcoming announcement, or are they are the dotting i's-crossing t's stage?

Lip Man 1
05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
More Sunday night on the Tribune web site from Van Dyke. Again submitted for discussion purposes only:

The crowd

"Usually when the series moves south, Cubs fans make up half the audience, thanks to the White Sox's low season-ticket base of about 16,000 for weekends. But what happened over last weekend was astonishing, as Sox fans made themselves heard at Wrigley."

Lip

StillMissOzzie
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM
And on that subject,,,,I could care less what a couple of mid day chaps,or anyone else on my former Station(670)say about food and me.

No, Les, you couldn't care less. Media types these days...

SMO
:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2005, 01:18 AM

SMO
:rolleyes:LOL...you got it before I could get my red pen out.

Okay Grobber, here's the deal. We can never know the percentage of Sox fans in attendance, so you're entitled to your opinion. Just admit that you were wrong for calling Crede's home a basket job, and we'll all move on. Be a standup guy, Les, and admit it.

Grobber33
05-23-2005, 09:43 AM

SMO
:rolleyes:

WHATEVER!! You know full well what I mean(or meant).

Grobber33
05-23-2005, 09:46 AM
LOL...you got it before I could get my red pen out.

Okay Grobber, here's the deal. We can never know the percentage of Sox fans in attendance, so you're entitled to your opinion. Just admit that you were wrong for calling Crede's home a basket job, and we'll all move on. Be a standup guy, Les, and admit it.

I'll answer you since NELLIE FOX was one of my alltime favorites. If you check the home page of the site,you'll seethe correction. Unlike one of my former 'teammates' at the Score who does mid days and is 'NEVER' wrong, I make corrections!!!

34 Inch Stick
05-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I cannot believe that anyone would say Les is not a stand up guy. Fun is fun and Cubbie bashing is great during this series but Les has to be the most stand up guy in his profession. He has been around here to take/give critcism for as long as I can remember. He signs in under his own name. He provides great information and never seems to shy away from a topic.

Dick Allen
05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Les, will you be at Sportsfest in June? It's the same weekend as the next Sox-Cubs series unfortunately.

Grobber33
05-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Les, will you be at Sportsfest in June? It's the same weekend as the next Sox-Cubs series unfortunately.

No,too much happening that weekend.My son's getting Married so I will miss the Saturday game. I do plan to be at 'The National' later on however.

Bobby Thigpen
05-23-2005, 02:21 PM
OK, so let's say that only 3 out of 10 people were Sox fans. That would make the split about 50-50 since you know at least 4 people were either disinterested casual fans, or just there to see "beautiful Wrigley Field". All I know is that besides booing relievers the only noise I heard on TV all weekend came from Sox fans. (No I didn't see Dubois' home so I may have missed some of it)

Fenway
05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Will there be a forthcoming announcement, or are they are the dotting i's-crossing t's stage?

From what he told me they just waiting for New York to rubber stamp it.

He also said that based on what the White Sox do in 05, Infinity could move the games to WBBM-780. ( similar to the Yankees being on WCBS in NYC ) That way you have a larger audience in the day to promote the Sox.

Sportsradio is a hard sell in Chicago because outside of the Bears everything is fragmented. If you talk Sox, you upset the Cubs crowd and vis a vis.

Nobody handles 2 baseball teams better than Mike and Mad Dod at WFAN which is the Mets station. Usually baseball talk revolves around NYY and that could be because the show is carried by the Steinbrenner Television Network aka YES.

tebman
05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
From what he told me they just waiting for New York to rubber stamp it.

He also said that based on what the White Sox do in 05, Infinity could move the games to WBBM-780. ( similar to the Yankees being on WCBS in NYC ) That way you have a larger audience in the day to promote the Sox.

Sportsradio is a hard sell in Chicago because outside of the Bears everything is fragmented. If you talk Sox, you upset the Cubs crowd and vis a vis.
I hadn't heard about WBBM being a possibility. That would be a surprise to me. The Sox were on there in '80-'81 but went back to WMAQ after that -- my understanding is that WBBM didn't try too hard to keep them because the bosses didn't like the news format disrupted for so many hours by ballgames.

WSCR has a better signal in the remote provinces than WBBM, so as a techie I hope between the two it ends up on 670. As a listener, I'll switch to another station as soon as the game is over because the people quacking away on WSCR make me crazy. What a lame bunch.

hose
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Darned,,,,I cant tell you(LOL)how FLATTERED I am that comments and oppinions by little ole me get the blood rushing from some here(and elsewhere).Also Hose: Know what you are talking about. Free food in the press box has not existed for almost 10 years(except at Bears games and give that time---it will change as soon as the NFL ALLOWS teams to charge reporters--the Bears will be 1st in line to start charging with the Ariz Cards and NY Giants right behind them).That's fine with me since it will keep the TRUE freeloaders away.
And on that subject,,,,I could care less what a couple of mid day chaps,or anyone else on my former Station(670)say about food and me. I hate creamcheese and have since I was a kid.The next sandwich I stick in my pocket at an event will be the first,,but I cant fire back since they are in the 'Ivory Tower' and I obviously am not-but that's fine. Besides,it's not my style most of the time. They never(any more)attend games to face the music from Athletes and others they rip anyway.
Perhaps I had to put up with that crap from Heavey Weight types like Larry Lujack,Steve Dahl,Jonathan Brandmeier,Kevin Matthews,Fred Winston,Bob Sirott etc,but nobody on either Sports Station is in that caliber, so 'sticks and stones' as someone plenty smarter than I once said.

Grobber the part about you eating free hotdogs was in teal.

I do agree with you about the radio guys not facing the music from the athletes.

I envision Jay Moronotti having to pay somebody to get quotes. What player or coach would want to talk to that gutless coward?

Dick Allen
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
No,too much happening that weekend.My son's getting Married so I will miss the Saturday game. I do plan to be at 'The National' later on however.Congrats, I'll catch you at the National.

Paulwny
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Nobody handles 2 baseball teams better than Mike and Mad Dod at WFAN which is the Mets station. Usually baseball talk revolves around NYY and that could be because the show is carried by the Steinbrenner Television Network aka YES.

It's kind of funny that the mets' radio station carries Mike and the Mad Dod since neither is a met fan. The Mad Dog is every yankmee haters idol. Nothing funnier then seeing/hearing him during one of his anti-yankee tirades. It's also strange that King George carries the program.

Kogs35
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
It's kind of funny that the mets' radio station carries Mike and the Mad Dod since neither is a met fan. The Mad Dog is every yankmee haters idol. Nothing funnier then seeing/hearing him during one of his anti-yankee tirades. It's also strange that King George carries the program.

agree but when ur a top rated show in the market why not carry them?

Paulwny
05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
agree but when ur a top rated show in the market why not carry them?

Kinda agree when it comes to the mets. With the statements the Mad Dog has made over over the years about the yankees and Steinbrenner, George has to cringe with these statements being carried on the yankee propaganda (YES Net ) station.

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't see WBBM picking up the White Sox. A 162-game regular season schedule plus 11 to 19 postseason games would eat away too many hours from Newsradio 780 WBBM's all news format. It would be different than Bears games which take place on slow news Sunday afternoons. In New York, Infinity has all news 1010 WINS to provide round-the-clock news when WCBS has the Yankees on. Such is not the case in Chicago with WBBM as Infinity's only all news station. Hence, I see WSCR as the new flagship. Infinity could still use WBBM to promote the Sox as could Infinity's other Chicago stations: WXRT, WBBM-FM, WUSN, WJMK, and WCKG.

TornLabrum
05-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I hadn't heard about WBBM being a possibility. That would be a surprise to me. The Sox were on there in '80-'81 but went back to WMAQ after that -- my understanding is that WBBM didn't try too hard to keep them because the bosses didn't like the news format disrupted for so many hours by ballgames.

WSCR has a better signal in the remote provinces than WBBM, so as a techie I hope between the two it ends up on 670. As a listener, I'll switch to another station as soon as the game is over because the people quacking away on WSCR make me crazy. What a lame bunch.

One thing to remember. CBS in '80-'81 is not Viacom in '05.

Fenway
05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
One thing to remember. CBS in '80-'81 is not Viacom in '05.

Very true

The old Westinghouse stations actually carry more clout ( re WINS )

Kogs35
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
hey fenway do u know how much the deal would be worth and for how many years, and if disney came back and offerd more at the last minute would they stay on espn1000?

Fenway
05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
hey fenway do u know how much the deal would be worth and for how many years, and if disney came back and offerd more at the last minute would they stay on espn1000?

No I don't know details but Infinity has nice package deals with national advertisers that Disney can't match.

Disney may get the Mets next year only because Infinity doesn't want them ( same as they jettisoned Rangers and Knicks)

Kogs35
05-24-2005, 01:44 PM
No I don't know details but Infinity has nice package deals with national advertisers that Disney can't match.

Disney may get the Mets next year only because Infinity doesn't want them ( same as they jettisoned Rangers and Knicks)

well that will help michael kay in the ny market. what national advertisers does innfinty have that disney doesnt for the white sox

Fenway
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
well that will help michael kay in the ny market. what national advertisers does innfinty have that disney doesnt for the white sox

It is the number of MLB teams that Infinity now carries compared to ABC/Disney

Infinity has roughly 12 teams at the moment

Infinity also offers better cross promotion in the market than ABC by the number of stations they own

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Infinity may gain the White Sox next season, but they could lose the Cardinals at the same time. There is talk in St. Louis that the Cardinals could buy KTRS-AM (550) and, hence, end their over 50-year partnership with Infinity's KMOX-AM (1120)

Kogs35
05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Infinity may gain the White Sox next season, but they could lose the Cardinals at the same time. There is talk in St. Louis that the Cardinals could buy KTRS-AM (550) and, hence, end their over 50-year partnership with Infinity's KMOX-AM (1120)

the cardnals want all the advertising dough. they dont want to give infinity any more dough. good for them

Hitmen77
06-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Grobber
...played in front of an overwhelming Cub Fan majority (likely over 90% Cub Fans). Sox Fans that somehow got tickets will be heard from if their team does well, otherwise they are pretty quiet in Wrigley. Next Month when the series moves to the South Side, it will be more of a split crowd, but the Sox will have a majority (likely 60%). The Sox have tried since 1997 to figure out ways to keep Cub Fans out of the South Side Park for these games, but have failed.

And yet, Dave Van Dyck says in today's Trib:

The crowd: At Wrigley Field, White Sox fans were a big part of the paying audience. The reverse wasn't true at The Cell. The largest crowd of the season was cheering overwhelmingly for the Sox. And, no, the Sox did not seem to be affected adversely by playing before a rare sellout.

balke
06-25-2005, 11:28 AM
FWIW I was at 2 of the Wrigley games, and there were about 30-40% sox fans if not more. The section I was sitting in for the first game was all Sox, and the cheers for the Sox were well heard all throughout both games. Last night, the crowd was near deafening for sox fans, and pan shots of the crowd showed much more black than blue. The only Cub fan I remember was the nerd who threw Frank's HR ball back. That'll show em'