PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's Use of the Pen Today (5/20)

hold2dibber
05-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I love how Ozzie used the pen today. Unlike most managers today, he's not a robot, using the relievers in a mechanical way depending on the situation. Previously, he usually has used Vizcaino and Politte in situations when the Sox are tied or down, but today he put them in a new situation -- relatively tight game, with a lead, in a high profile game. It can only help those guys in terms of confidence and in terms of being prepared for different situations, to have some experience under such circumstances. Plus, now Hermanson and Marte are fresh for the rest of the weekend. Nice!

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Politte has been great this year. Vizcaino got the job done today but still had a me a little worried when he let 2 on. I think it's great we have such a solid bullpen that can be used in a variety of situations.

shoota
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I love how Ozzie used the pen today. Unlike most managers today, he's not a robot, using the relievers in a mechanical way depending on the situation. Previously, he usually has used Vizcaino and Politte in situations when the Sox are tied or down, but today he put them in a new situation -- relatively tight game, with a lead, in a high profile game. It can only help those guys in terms of confidence and in terms of being prepared for different situations, to have some experience under such circumstances. Plus, now Hermanson and Marte are fresh for the rest of the weekend. Nice!

I was pleased that Hermanson--our best reliever--was not used today. In such a high profile series, I didn't want the Cubs to see Hermanson in the first game of the series.

MIgrenade
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Plus, now Hermanson and Marte are fresh for the rest of the weekend. Nice!

Well he used Marte for a little more than an inning (or am I wrong?) so I don't know if he is fresh, but it's not like he overthrew either. Hermanson will be ready to go which I like. I think Shingo will make an appearance tomorrow for better worse just to use different guys.

MeanFish
05-20-2005, 09:39 PM
When your bullpen is mostly awesome, it's pretty hard to misuse them.

CLR01
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Well he used Marte for a little more than an inning (or am I wrong?) so I don't know if he is fresh, but it's not like he overthrew either. Hermanson will be ready to go which I like. I think Shingo will make an appearance tomorrow for better worse just to use different guys.

Marte only pitched to one batter.

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Being its the cubs I would like to see our entire bullpen get some innings in against these losers just so they get some time in.

JB98
05-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Being its the cubs I would like to see our entire bullpen get some innings in against these losers just so they get some time in.

I would like to see our starters pitch at least seven innings. We're in the early stages of a long road trip: 10 games in 10 days. I don't want the bullpen taxed in any way, shape or fashion.

SOXfnNlansing
05-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Well he used Marte for a little more than an inning (or am I wrong?) so I don't know if he is fresh, but it's not like he overthrew either. Hermanson will be ready to go which I like. I think Shingo will make an appearance tomorrow for better worse just to use different guys. He faced 1 batter and struck him out

PAPChiSox729
05-20-2005, 10:58 PM
He faced 1 batter and struck him out

Even though it was Correy Patterson, that final fastball to him was absolutely nasty. You're not going to touch a 96 mph fastball on the outside corner.

:hawk
"Grab some bench."

Anywho, Vizcaino will hopefully find his control soon. He seemed to be throwing his offspeed stuff a lot today, even behind in the count. I'm sure Coop will work things out with him. I would like to see Shingo try to get some outings in this series also.

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I would like to see our starters pitch at least seven innings. We're in the early stages of a long road trip: 10 games in 10 days. I don't want the bullpen taxed in any way, shape or fashion.

Yikes, good point. I just looked at my little schedule. Didn't realize it was that heavy. My bad.

Palpidious
05-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Anywho, Vizcaino will hopefully find his control soon. He seemed to be throwing his offspeed stuff a lot today, even behind in the count. I'm sure Coop will work things out with him. I would like to see Shingo try to get some outings in this series also.

vizcaino worries me because in his career he's been more effective against lefties than righties.

BaseballTonyght
05-21-2005, 12:03 AM
He faced 1 batter and struck him out

He was really popping that fastball today... Patterson got worked. Adrenaline anyone? :D: