PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy called up from AAA

charlotteknights
05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Word from Ottawa is that McCarthy has been replaced by Munoz and has been sent to the bigs to pitch on Sunday. Hope it's true. Also, Gload is supposed to be coming down to rehab in Charlotte. Ulacia will replace McCarthy.

juanuribe
05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Bruce LevineLine just reported that there was a rumor circulating the Urinal that El Duque won't be able to toe the rubber on Sunday, and Brandon McCarthy would be making his ML debut. Stay tuned....

1 down, 5 to go

soxwon
05-20-2005, 05:52 PM
contreras goes saturday, el duque sunday

DaveIsHere
05-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Hernadez is going Sunday, Contreras goes tomorrow

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that Levineline has no ****ing clue and is making this **** up just to get attention.

Hey Bruce... BUL****!

SluggersAway
05-20-2005, 06:01 PM
I hope it isn't true. An injury would not be a good thing.

SluggersAway
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
It isn't bull if the report out of Ottawa from the submitter from Charlotte gave us is correct.

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 06:06 PM
It isn't bull if the report out of Ottawa from the submitter from Charlotte gave us is correct.

Hey, who knows... Maybe it really is happening, but with Levineline being the only guy talking about it, I'm gonna take my chances...

juanuribe
05-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Word from Ottawa is that McCarthy has been replaced by Munoz and has been sent to the bigs to pitch on Sunday. Hope it's true. Also, Gload is supposed to be coming down to rehab in Charlotte. Ulacia will replace McCarthy.

Maybe Levineline isn't full of beans? Just because he's a Cub apologist doesn't mean he doesn't get one right every once in awhile. Jeez....why so bitter towards Bruuuuuce?

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Maybe Levineline isn't full of beans? Just because he's a Cub apologist doesn't mean he doesn't get one right every once in awhile. Jeez....why so bitter towards Bruuuuuce?

Because he's been trolling the Sox all season long...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

DumpJerry
05-20-2005, 06:12 PM
This is bullcrap. el Duque will be there on Sunday. To fly McCarthy up for the game at this late time means we will do to him what we did to all those call-ups last year (Munoz, Grilli, etc. etc.). They wake up in the morning in Charlotte and are told "you're pitching in Comiskey tonight, pack your bags now!" They arrive bleary eyed and dazed and then go on the mound with no orientation as to where they are or who they are and then throw crap. A pitcher needs a few days in the clubhouse to get acclimated before his first appearance.

I was listening to Levine on the radio this morning. He claims that he is neutral now that he is a reporter and covers both teams with the same level of enthusiasm. He says he was once a fan of one of the teams long ago (gee..which one????), but will not reveal the name and since it was so long ago, he gave up his feelings for that team.

This guy needs to go into fertilizer sales.......

maurice
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I can confirm that Munoz is, in fact, pitching in McCarthy's spot right now. I'm not going to speculate on the reason.

SOXintheBURGH
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Because he's been trolling the Sox all season long...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

ROFL

Brilliant!

DrCrawdad
05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Per George Oftman WSCR. Apparently, McCarthy was scratched from his start today and is boarding a plane to join the team tomorrow.

So, if this is true, will McCarthy be replacing Jose or El Duque?

Soxzilla
05-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Why?

elrod
05-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Why?

bayzbol44
05-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Why? Por que?:o:

twinsuck1
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I just heard the same. I wonder what Is going on?

MIgrenade
05-20-2005, 06:59 PM
What's the Score? Since there's a thread there on this.

DrCrawdad
Why?

Bear in mind that this is a sports radio report. There was no mention if McCarthy was being called up to replace Jose or El Duque. However, if this report is true I'd guess that he's coming to step in for one of the Cubans.

batmanZoSo
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but why?

seanpmurphy
Maybe he'll throw out of the pen???

No comprende!

dickallen15
05-20-2005, 07:08 PM
McCarthy is starting Sunday in place of El Duque. There is no word on what the problem is with El Duque.

bayzbol44
05-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Dickie, where did you hear that? Maybe Jorge Ofman had one too many at the ballpark today! Maybe Ozzie is bringing him in to feel the "playoff atmosphere" so he can be prepared for October???

SluggersAway
05-20-2005, 07:13 PM
This is the third thread on this rumour. Should we start another and ask why again?

Soxheads
05-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Per a source I trust, he'll be pitching Sunday. And no, I'm not talking FutureSox....:p

dickallen15
05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Dickie, where did you hear that? Maybe Jorge Ofman had one too many at the ballpark today! Maybe Ozzie is bringing him in to feel the "playoff atmosphere" so he can be prepared for October???

One of the administrators at soxtalk.com has another site futuresox.com. He has some White Sox minor league contacts and was able to confirm the story. He is a very reliable source. More reliable than any other local media.

Soxzilla
05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
This is the third thread on this rumour. Should we start another and ask why again?

Probably wouldn't hurt.

DaveIsHere
05-20-2005, 07:20 PM
I hopethe duke isnt hurt,but it would be nice to have BMac beat the Cubs on Sunday:D:

Soxheads
05-20-2005, 07:20 PM
One of the administrators at soxtalk.com has another site futuresox.com. He has some White Sox minor league contacts and was able to confirm the story. He is a very reliable source. More reliable than any other local media.

Heh. Let's just say there's very good reason to trust Jason's source. :supernana:

shaunburnette
05-20-2005, 07:21 PM
why wouldnt the sox announce this then? i dont think it would be a big secret. if orlando is hurt than i think we would know. this isnt the cubs organization. and i am sure he does not have a hernia in his knee.:?:

Chisoxfn
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Well as of now he's scheduled to start on Sunday. Now something could come up, but from who I've talked to it sounds like a done deal.

I haven't been able to find out anything on whats wrong with El Duque though. I don't have much anything in the way of major league contacts.

And I'm guessing something will be announced shortly one way or the other, but they may want to keep stuff quiet so the Cubs can't prepare (thats a sheer guess on my part).

The Racehorse
05-20-2005, 07:23 PM

If true, then Hernandez has some type of injury... which [obviously] means KW had been keeping his cards close to his vest.

MRKARNO
05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I have to say that I am actually excited for this (edit: if this does end up happening, which definitely looks possible), though I do hope that El Duque gets better as soon as possible (if he's hurt). McCarthy's ERA doesnt tell the whole story for him this year as he's given up a boatload of HRs in Charlotte because of the ballpark. I think it's worse there than US Cellular Field even. I think almost all of his ER have come by way of the HR. Based on what I saw in spring training, there is no reason to think that he cannot come up and pitch just as well as El Duque has been lately.

shaunburnette
05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
and if this "was" true, dont you think they would put Garland on Sunday? Which would put him on normal rest due to the offday? Giving McCarthy an extra day to prepare with the team?:?:

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-20-2005, 07:26 PM
What happened to el duque? I hope he's okay, but man how awsome would it be to see Bmac dominate the scrubs?

Chisoxfn
05-20-2005, 07:28 PM
and if this "was" true, dont you think they would put Garland on Sunday? Which would put him on normal rest due to the offday? Giving McCarthy an extra day to prepare with the team?:?:
Once again pure speculation, but Ozzie doesn't seem like he's wanted to mess with the rotation in terms of moving guys up starts or pushing them back.

Of course Brandon will be on an extra 2 days rest since he was meant to go today and woudln't go until Sunday.

Things can change though, but he's going to be starting Sunday unless something changes with Duque.

He's going to be flying into Chicago tomorrow.

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Okay, I admit I didn't see the thread in the minor league forum earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where these radio sources got the story in the first place.

Until the Sox confirm it, I'm leaving this thread in WTS and merging all other posts into it. If it actually is confirmed eventually, I'll move it into the Clubhouse...

shaunburnette
05-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Once again pure speculation, but Ozzie doesn't seem like he's wanted to mess with the rotation in terms of moving guys up starts or pushing them back.

Of course Brandon will be on an extra 2 days rest since he was meant to go today and woudln't go until Sunday.

Things can change though, but he's going to be starting Sunday unless something changes with Duque.

That is true about Ozzie. He does not want to mess with the rotation. Bmac could have thrown on the side today and start Monday. I would rather that be the option with Garland on Sunday.

Either way, I can't say it wouldnt be awesome to see Bmac going against Prior.

MRKARNO
05-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Either way, I can't say it wouldnt be awesome to see Bmac going against Prior.

Well if he beat Prior in his major league debut then you could

sullythered
05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
A friend of mine just called and told me that Bruce Levine is reporting that we just called up McCarthy to pitch Sunday against the Flubs due to a minor El Duque injury. Anybody know if this is true?

TwinGats
05-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Well if he beat Prior in his major league debut then you could

That would be cool as hell, but if he's injured, that's uberweak.:whiner:

Flames24Rulz
05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
i heard that too. they scrapped his scheduled start as well in AAA. i wonder what happened to El Duque?? :?:

MIgrenade
05-20-2005, 07:47 PM
I feel like jumpin on the band wagon and making my own thread about this. What's the Score fellas.

batmanZoSo
05-20-2005, 07:47 PM
We've all heard this and it's posted in WTS. Puzzling to say the least and my first instinct is bullcrap until proven accurate. You know, like all breaking radio news. :cool:

edit...

posted in the clubhouse, then I walked out of what's the score. Good times.

JoseCanseco6969
05-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes i say we give b mac some chance to take in the big league deal for a few games and in the meantime....put garland in there.

MRKARNO
05-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Question:

How many times can the Sox call up McCarthy (or any minor leaguer in his situation) and what are the rules on that exactly? Can they call him up an unlimited number of times or are there limits?

shaunburnette
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Question:

How many times can the Sox call up McCarthy (or any minor leaguer in his situation) and what are the rules on that exactly? Can they call him up an unlimited number of times or are there limits?

I believe every player has 3 minor league options. Once those are done, you have to put the player on waivers to send down. Injuries are a different story. Again this is what I think it is, i might be completely wrong.

cheeses_h_rice
05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Okay, I admit I didn't see the thread in the minor league forum earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where these radio sources got the story in the first place.

Until the Sox confirm it, I'm leaving this thread in WTS and merging all other posts into it. If it actually is confirmed eventually, I'll move it into the Clubhouse...

What's the harm in putting this in the Clubhouse now? That's where I looked for it after hearing the news that McCarthy was flying up to be available Saturday or Sunday. Even if he doesn't pitch this weekend, this is still a pretty major development for the Sox.

greasywheels121
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Is this legite enough?

Chisox.com has it on their site.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050520&content_id=1056868&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DrCrawdad
05-20-2005, 08:25 PM
McCarthy was scheduled to start Friday night in Ottawa, against former White Sox hurler James Baldwin. The right-hander was scratched from his appearance, replaced by left-hander Arnie Munoz, and MLB.com has learned from a Minor League source that the 21-year-old will be traveling to Chicago and be recalled by the White Sox. He will join the team this weekend at Wrigley Field.

The specific role for McCarthy still is unclear, as is the accompanying Major League move. McCarthy could be added to the White Sox bullpen or, more likely, would start on either Saturday or Sunday.

This is from WhiteSox.com. Will the "rumor" tag get removed?

SluggersAway
05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
This should get interesting. I hope the injury, whatever it is to whoever it is, is not serious.

Rocklive99
05-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Okay, the injury possibility is scary enough, but I'll wait and see on that, but I don't see why they'd have BMac start this weekend after the day off would still have Garland or El Duque (depending on if Duque or Contreras is questionable).

This whole situation is real weird, I would've guessed if someone was getting called up there'd be a definate problem or have more information. Hermanson can also be used as a spot starter (which I do doubt, but I wonder if Politte closing today had anything to do with that)

Jjav829
05-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Okay, the injury possibility is scary enough, but I'll wait and see on that, but I don't see why they'd have BMac start this weekend after the day off would still have Garland or El Duque (depending on if Duque or Contreras is questionable).

This whole situation is real weird, I would've guessed if someone was getting called up there'd be a definate problem or have more information. Hermanson can also be used as a spot starter (which I do doubt, but I wonder if Politte closing today had anything to do with that)

Politte didn't close. It was a 4-run game. No need to use Hermanson there. There's no chance Hermanson spot starts now with the way he's been closing. Someone will get moved up or McCarthy will get a chance.

Jjav829
05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Is this legite enough?

Chisox.com has it on their site.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050520&content_id=1056868&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Yeah, good enough.

Breaking news! Brandon McCarthy is coming to the White Sox. I'm breaking this first......even though the information was originally reported by Bruce Levine. Still, I'm gonna go ahead and pretend like we broke it here. Brandon McCarthy joining the big club. You heard it here first, even though the rumor was taken from the media. WSI, breaking all the big news ahead of the media....:rolleyes:

Rocklive99
05-20-2005, 09:35 PM
My fault, brain fart, I forgot we won by 4

A.T. Money
05-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I hope McCarthy pitches on Saturday. I wouldn't mind being in attendance to witness his MLB debut and first MLB win.

sircaffey1
05-20-2005, 10:02 PM
My fault, brain fart, I forgot we won by 4

Even if Cliff did close the game in a save situation, I would rather forfeit the game than take Hermanson out of the closer's role to spot start. That would be the worst thing to do in this situation. Hell, I'd rather have Widger start...

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 10:05 PM
What's the harm in putting this in the Clubhouse now? That's where I looked for it after hearing the news that McCarthy was flying up to be available Saturday or Sunday. Even if he doesn't pitch this weekend, this is still a pretty major development for the Sox.

Given the timing of everything (and even Levineline was saying it was a rumor) it could have started right at WSI in the Minor League forum and then swept outward. I think it's irresponsible to have that happen if indeed it did. It didn't and now the thread has been fixed. My apologies to Bruce I guess he found that nut afterall...

Daver
05-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Question:

A minor league player has three option years, he can be called up and sent down as often as the team sees fit during those three years, after that, he has to make the active roster or be subject to waivers.

MRKARNO
05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
A minor league player has three option years, he can be called up and sent down as often as the team sees fit during those three years, after that, he has to make the active roster or be subject to waivers.

Thanks.

In that case, I see little harm in doing this whatsoever, especially if El Duque is genuinely having physical problems or even if he is tired and just needs a 2 week break to make sure he gets through the season with about 25-28 starts.