PDA

View Full Version : D'Angelo Jimenez designated for assignment

Jjav829
05-20-2005, 06:07 PM
And somewhere bafiarocks mourns. :D:

Where are all those people complaining about how we got ripped off for giving this guy away for nothing? He still sucks. The only suprising part of this is that it took the Reds 6 weeks to realize that they'd be better off with Ryan Freel starting at 2B. I still don't understand why the Reds didn't non-tender Jimenez in the offseason.

Also, in other former White Sox news, Chris Singleton was designated for assignment.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2005, 06:15 PM
This is good.

:roflmao:

maurice
05-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I still don't understand why the Reds didn't non-tender Jimenez in the offseason.

Probably because he's only 27 years old with a .350 career OBP. That's pretty good for a 2B. Jimenez definitely has got MLB talent, but he's a total headcase, causing distressing inconsistency and problems in the clubhouse.

Year / AVE / OBP for Sox:
2002 - .287 / .384
2003 - .255 / .332

Year - AVE / OBP for Reds:
2003 - .290 / .365
2004 - .270 / .364
2005 - .229 / .319

He'd fit right in as a double-play partner for Royce Clayton. :redneck

Jjav829
05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Probably because he's only 27 years old with a .350 career OBP. That's pretty good for a 2B. Jimenez definitely has got MLB talent, but he's a total headcase, causing distressing inconsistency and problems in the clubhouse.

Year / AVE / OBP for Sox:
2002 - .287 / .384
2003 - .255 / .332

Year - AVE / OBP for Reds:
2003 - .290 / .365
2004 - .270 / .364
2005 - .229 / .319

And Freel has a career .377 OBP, since that's the only thing that matters for a 2B...

I could go on with how Freel is a better baserunner, better fielder, much cheaper, etc. but I guess OBP determines all and since Freel's OBP is better, Freel wins.

maurice
05-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Looks like you missed the part where I said he's "a total headcase, causing distressing inconsistency and problems in the clubhouse," and would "fit right in as a double-play partner for Royce Clayton."

Besides, the arb. decision was hardly "Freel or Jimenez." Freel has started MLB games at 5 different positions, and has played more 3B and OF than 2B.

PAPChiSox729
05-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Chris Singleton was designated for assignment.

That is especially sad considering he was playing for the Devil Rays...
:o:

RKMeibalane
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm waiting for Gumshoe to come back here and make excuses for him.

chaerulez
05-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Lets not forget Jimenez also had a total lack of fundamentals.

soxfan26
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
I still don't understand why the Reds didn't non-tender Jimenez in the offseason.

Nor do I understand why I actually picked this guy in a fantasy baseball draft. :whiner:

bafiarocks03
05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
omg..this is so horrible, im watching Stump the Schwab thign on espn, and on the bottom is says d'angelo sent for assignment, and i started crying! my poor d'angelo!!!:(: :whiner:

MeanFish
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
omg..this is so horrible, im watching Stump the Schwab thign on espn, and on the bottom is says d'angelo sent for assignment, and i started crying! my poor d'angelo!!!:(: :whiner:

Please seek help.

Daver
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm waiting for Gumshoe to come back here and make excuses for him.

Don't hold your breath.

Jjav829
05-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Looks like you missed the part where I said he's "a total headcase, causing distressing inconsistency and problems in the clubhouse," and would "fit right in as a double-play partner for Royce Clayton."

Besides, the arb. decision was hardly "Freel or Jimenez." Freel has started MLB games at 5 different positions, and has played more 3B and OF than 2B.

But it was a decision between starting Jimenez or Freel. Yeah, Freel had played many different positions, but they had the chance to give him a starting job at one position. Freel wasn't going to get time in the OF with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, and Pena. He was the 5th OF option on the team. They had also just signed Randa, so they knew Freel wasn't going to be seeing much time at 3B. They only place for him to get regular playing time was at 2B. They made the choice to sign a much more expensive D'Angelo Jimenez rather than go with the cheaper and superior Ryan Freel. Now, six weeks into the season, they've finally realized the error they made.

JB98
05-20-2005, 11:39 PM

Look on the bright side, Bafia. Derek MacKenzie scored a goal for the Wolves last night.
:D:

Tragg
05-21-2005, 01:20 AM
There was some poster who was going on and on about Jiminez last year.

Of course, in the early part of the season, another poster graced us with a daily Jeremy Reed update. Haven't seen that one lately either. .240 batting averages have that effect, I guess.

RKMeibalane
05-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Of course, in the early part of the season, another poster graced us with a daily Jeremy Reed update. Haven't seen that one lately either. .240 batting averages have that effect, I guess.

With the way this season has gone so far, I don't expect any of the FOJB1 to show up anytime soon.

Jjav829
05-22-2005, 12:14 AM

I'm gonna go start one. You should see this guy act in the Mariners commercials. We let go a great talent. :rolleyes: :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2005, 12:26 AM

We hijacked that dope's thread so good, I bet even a .300 average would have him thinking twice about coming back here.
:cool:

BTW, Jimmy Reed is still dead.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004R5ZV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

santo=dorf
05-22-2005, 12:31 AM
We hijacked that dope's thread so good, I bet even a .300 average would have him thinking twice about coming back here.
:cool:

BTW, Jimmy Reed is still dead.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004R5ZV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

PHG, I believe the original poster was refering to Wealz. I remember it was during a Cubs-Reds game where the Cubs couldn't get Prior any run support. Here's Wealz's entire well-thought out post from this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40594)
Was released by Williams. No excuse for that.
:rolleyes:

Navaro's Talent
05-22-2005, 01:26 AM
I was never a big fan of Jiminez, but I'll never forget his single in the ninth inning against the Cubs back in interleague 2003 that won the game. For that, he's okay in my book. :cool:

balke
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
All I can remember is several botched double play balls, and critical game breaking errors vs. the Twins. He'll never be okay in my book.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
That guy was the laziest ballplayer i have ever seen. I'm glad the Sox don't have him anymore.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
omg..this is so horrible, im watching Stump the Schwab thign on espn, and on the bottom is says d'angelo sent for assignment, and i started crying! my poor d'angelo!!!:(: :whiner:I would take Willie Harris and Wilson Valdez over that lazy SOB. He never hustled on any plays and always looked like he was going to sleep on key plays.

PAPChiSox729
05-22-2005, 09:02 PM
All I can remember is several botched double play balls, and critical game breaking errors vs. the Twins. He'll never be okay in my book.

Yeah, he definitely wasn't a Roberto Alomar (in his prime, of course) out there. I recall him dropping a pop out with the bases loaded and 2 outs a few seasons ago. I can't say I'm sad he's gone.

DrCrawdad
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
That guy was the laziest ballplayer i have ever seen. I'm glad the Sox don't have him anymore.

Saw this bit on ChicagoSports.com...

Reds glad ex-Sox player gone

When the White Sox traded D'Angelo Jimenez in July 2003, then-manager Jerry Manuel said: "He struggled every now and then with some lapses. [But] anytime a guy leaves here, I always hope for the best for them."

It's not happening for Jimenez, whose recent demotion to the minors was met with approval in the clubhouse.

Danny Graves said it best: "When you don't want to try and you don't want to try to get better, there are guys in the minors who do. That attitude can become a cancer. D'Angelo didn't have the attitude that I'm going to help the team. If a guy isn't going to try to contribute, why keep him around?"

Jimenez was hitting .229 with no homers and five RBIs in 35 games with the Reds. - Cubune

pearso66
05-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Yeah, he definitely wasn't a Roberto Alomar (in his prime, of course) out there. I recall him dropping a pop out with the bases loaded and 2 outs a few seasons ago. I can't say I'm sad he's gone.

I believe he didnt only drop that pop up, but all 3 baserunners scored too. IIRC

Chisox003
05-23-2005, 12:19 AM
This guy was brutal....I remember having high hopes for him going into that 2003 season....Yikes

Now all I remember is a few sleepless nights and many a headache from his bone head, lackluster play....

He Gone!

Jjav829
05-23-2005, 12:27 AM
So, where's that Reds fan that kept telling us how D'Angelo didn't look lazy at all? Well, now one of D'Angelo's former teammates publicly tore him to pieces for being a lazy sack of crap. It's such a shame we gave this loser away for nothing. Oh look, the Reds are doing the same thing now. This after the Sox and Pads got rid of him for nothing due to the same reason.

FarWestChicago
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
So, where's that Reds fan that kept telling us how D'Angelo didn't look lazy at all? Well, now one of D'Angelo's former teammates publicly tore him to pieces for being a lazy sack of crap. It's such a shame we gave this loser away for nothing. Oh look, the Reds are doing the same thing now. This after the Sox and Pads got rid of him for nothing due to the same reason. This has been a tough year for the FOBB's so far. I hope it keeps up. :cool:

RKMeibalane
05-23-2005, 05:17 PM
This has been a tough year for the FOBB's so far. I hope it keeps up. :cool:

I wonder if jeremyb1 has written about this in his blog. :D:

Daver
05-23-2005, 05:38 PM
It's been two days, is Jimmy Reed still dead, or has there been a change in his status?

:redneck

wdelaney72
05-24-2005, 02:22 PM

Amen. My thoughts exactly.

Kenny has no idea how to evaluate players.

jabrch
05-28-2005, 02:08 AM
This has been a tough year for the FOBB's so far. I hope it keeps up. :cool:

Inerestingly, it keeps getting worse for them. I gotta admit - I kinda enjoy that.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 02:00 PM
In the print edition of this week's The Sporting News there is a little blurb stating that Beane told manager Ken Macha that he needs to do anything he can to shake things up and generate offence including 'bunt.'

WOW

Lip

FarWestChicago
05-28-2005, 06:02 PM
In the print edition of this week's The Sporting News there is a little blurb stating that Beane told manager Ken Macha that he needs to do anything he can to shake things up and generate offence including 'bunt.'

WOW

LipIt's pretty sad when you have to replace "BALCO" with "bunt". :redneck

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 07:25 PM
West:

I must correct something...that comment wasn't in The Sporting News, it was in S.I. this week (the featured story on the dramatic drop in home runs in baseball.) page 48.

Lip