PDA

View Full Version : Saw LOTS of people wearing Sox gear in London

PatK
05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I just got back from spending the week in England, and spent saw a lot of people rockin' Sox gear in London.

I would ask them about it, telling them I'm from Chicago and a Sox fan. Surprisingly, a lot of them were wearing them because they have the best record in baseball, and were surprisingly knowledgeable about MLB.

The funny thing was that more than a few of them just could not understand Chicago and the rest of the country's fascination with Cubdom. They were like "Why would you want to be a fan of a team that's identity is one of taking pride in the fact that you have a history of sucking?"

Of all the baseball gear I saw during my trip, the Sox had the most, followed by the Yankees.

The only people I saw wearing Cubs gear were Americans.

SouthSide4Life
05-20-2005, 12:44 PM
I just got back from spending the week in England, and spent saw a lot of people rockin' Sox gear in London.

I would ask them about it, telling them I'm from Chicago and a Sox fan. Surprisingly, a lot of them were wearing them because they have the best record in baseball, and were surprisingly knowledgeable about MLB.

The funny thing was that more than a few of them just could not understand Chicago and the rest of the country's fascination with Cubdom. They were like "Why would you want to be a fan of a team that's identity is one of taking pride in the fact that you have a history of sucking?"

Of all the baseball gear I saw during my trip, the Sox had the most, followed by the Yankees.

The only people I saw wearing Cubs gear were Americans.the English are smart ones:smile:

Baby Fisk
05-20-2005, 12:45 PM
SoxEd is clearly doing his part over there. :thumbsup:

TDog
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I just got back from spending the week in England, and spent saw a lot of people rockin' Sox gear in London.....

When I was in Harrod's last September, their American sports corner displayed the Sox baseball jerseys most prominently. In Dublin a couple of years ago, I was in a sporting goods store that sold a bunch of baseball caps -- all Yankees except for a few White Sox. I believe it had to do with the colors and the script. I've see people in Europe and the U.S. wearing nice Sox jackets who don't care about the Sox. As a German man in Iceland told me about a shirt he was sporting, "it's just a shirt."

I like seeing Sox stuff all over the place, though. If they want to root for the Sox to win the World Series, all the better.

Kevin
05-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Europe seems to be a Sox hot-bed, when I was in Rome last year, there were many sox hats and shirts on Italian kids, and some Americans. I only saw about two Cubs hats, a million Yanks hats and between 15-20 Sox hats. Also, when I was visiting the Loyola campus in Rome, they had White Sox fever, too.

logansquaresox
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Really? That's verrrrry interesting. When I was in London before the start of the season I saw nothing but Yankees caps. The two friends I was traveling with (and who have no interest in baseball) had to listen to tirade after tirade on how sick and wrong this was. I actually tried to set one poor Brit straight after a couple of beers in a pub. He eventually took his hat off, no doubt in an attempt to placate what he thought was a dangerous looney.

mikehuff
05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Really? That's verrrrry interesting. When I was in London before the start of the season I saw nothing but Yankees caps. The two friends I was traveling with (and who have no interest in baseball) had to listen to tirade after tirade on how sick and wrong this was. I actually tried to set one poor Brit straight after a couple of beers in a pub. He eventually took his hat off, no doubt in an attempt to placate what he thought was a dangerous looney.

I agree with you. I was in London and Prague during late April/early May and I saw nothing but Yankee hats. A lot of people were wearing them. I did see a couple of Cub hats out there too. I even took a picture of a street in Prague and there's a dude with a Cubs' hat in the frame! Idiot!

mjharrison72
05-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I also heard the Yankees have a stronghold on most MLB merchandise there... no doubt in part because of their cross-marketing agreement with Manchester United, AKA the Yankees of English football. The English guy who works at the bar I frequent told me he had a rude awakening when he got to the US and thought he would fit in with his Yankees hat and was getting crap from everyone he met.

As far as the infatuation with the Sox, could it have something to do with the look of the logo, as well... of course, I think it's a really classic look, but wouldn't many refer to the font as "Old ENGLISH"? They like that kind of crap over there.

Realist
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
The only people I saw wearing Cubs gear were Americans.

I always wondered where the term "the ugly American" originated. Now we know. :cool:

PatK
05-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I always wondered where the term "the ugly American" originated. Now we know. :cool:
:supernana:

Hilarious.

I just found it amazing that like us, the British looked down on Cubs fans for worshipping a loser.

fquaye149
05-21-2005, 09:36 AM
At the pub across the street from the place I lived while studying abroad, the owner was a Sox fan. Not sure exactly why he was or if he knew much about baseball, but it was a nice place and he was a nice guy.

bunnybrief
05-21-2005, 09:45 AM
There are a lot of people of Irish descent in London - that could be why. Sox are a sentimental favorite among some Irish, also many Irish Americans in Chicago have family in Ireland and England.

:gulp:

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Hahaha....you know, I've always wanted to go to London. This just adds to my desire all the more. :D:

fquaye149
05-21-2005, 11:26 AM
the only problem is that drinking in london is almost as overpriced (in USD) as drinking in wrigleyville

harwar
05-21-2005, 11:38 AM
the only problem is that drinking in london is almost as overpriced (in USD) as drinking in wrigleyville
Yea,i used to go to London quite a bit.
The first time i was asked to leave a pub around 2 in the afternoon i thought they were crazy.
The room temperature beer took awhile to get used to but the fact thats its so much more potent than american beer more than made up for that.
We got some beer,in Aberdeen(scotland) i think it was,that was about 12% alcohol.
I remember seeing White Sox hats & shirts well over 10 years ago in the U.K. but most that i asked said that it was just cool to wear and were not really Sox fans.

MIgrenade
05-21-2005, 11:49 AM

That's good comedy...or maybe fact...either way I love it.