PDA

View Full Version : What Drove You to Choose Right (WSox) Over Wrong (Cubs)?

TomBradley72
05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Most of us made a decision at some point to follow the White Sox over the Cubs...what was your "defining moment" that led you to the ChiSox? For me...it was the 1971 White Sox...with Harry Caray on the radio sounding very exciting in comparison to the sleep inducing Boudreau/Lloyd..and Chuck Tanner/Roland Hemond really trying to win vs. the Cubs leadership which obviously (even to me...a 9 year old kid) didn't have winning as a priority. The Dick Allen/Tommy John trade the following winter...closed the deal.

Baby Fisk
05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
[ahem] I "experimented" with the concept of being a "Chicago" fan in my younger days. :rolleyes: :redface:

HOWEVER, it didn't take too long to reach the following conclusion: losing is lovable for about 5 minutes. After that, losing sucks and I don't want to be a part of that culture. There wasn't a defining moment, just an obvious realization.

Losing sucks. Cubs suck.

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
[ahem] I "experimented" with the concept of being a "Chicago" fan in my younger days. :rolleyes: :redface:

HOWEVER, it didn't take too long to reach the following conclusion: losing is lovable for about 5 minutes. After that, losing sucks and I don't want to be a part of that culture. There wasn't a defining moment, just an obvious realization.

Losing sucks. Cubs suck.

I cannot improve upon this statement...

Spicoli
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
What Drove You to Choose Right (WSox) Over Wrong (Cubs)?
Intelligence and integrity.

chuckn98229
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
It was part of the sanctifying grace package I received at Baptism.

ilsox7
05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I would have been disowned by my family if I had been a Cub fan. Dad and Grandpa both grew up on the South Side.

Ol' No. 2
05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
My father moved to Bridgeport when he first came to Chicago, so for me, there really wasn't a choice involved. When I was growing up the phrase "last place Chicago Cubs" was redundant. The Cubs were a team for people who didn't know any better.

Edit: Now that I think of it, they still are.

SouthSide4Life
05-20-2005, 12:46 PM
i realized that i didnt go to school in a short bus like so many of the Flub fans

24thStFan
05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
No "choice" involved--born and raised on the South Side. Thank God I'm a Sox Fan!

ondafarm
05-20-2005, 12:49 PM
My mom founded the Nellie Fox fan club. On the day I was born, he visited my mom (and I) in the hospital. I don't think I ever had much choice in the matter. Even when I was attached to a minor league team from another organization, my parents still rooted for the White Sox and chose their allegiance in Japan based on former White Sox players. (It's a real bummer having your parents travel overseas to watch you play ball and realize they are rooting against your team on one night.)

sox_fan_forever
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
There was never any choice for me. I wasn't raised a Sox fan, however, I was taught from a very young age that the Cubs and their losing ways were not cute and were something no intelligent person would want to be a part of. So it's only natural that I eventually became a Sox fan. :D:

gobears1987
05-20-2005, 12:58 PM
i realized that i didnt go to school in a short bus like so many of the Flub fans
That has to be post of the week!

tlebar318
05-20-2005, 01:00 PM
I was born in Bridgeport in the mid 60's so it is by birth and the grace of God that I became a Sox fan! :D:

SouthSide4Life
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
That has to be post of the week!:bandance:

Uncle_Patrick
05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
There never was a choice. I saw nothing in the other side that would make me want to root for them. The snobbiness of Cubs fans ("Everyone is jealous of us, fans of (insert team: White Sox, Cardinals, Brewers, Astros, etc.) are white trash, we are the best, blah,blah, blah") only reinforces my belief that I could never be part of their fan base.

Besides, the Cubs just suck.

SoxFan78
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Frank Thomas. When I was little I was a huge Frank Thomas fan. He made me a sox fan, and keeps me a sox fan

DuckSnort
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
No one really influenced me, I was a fan of the big hurt growing up, so there for I was a sox fan!

Sxy Mofo
05-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Dad rooted for bears, white sox, bulls, and Notre dame, so i did. Good man.

Iwritecode
05-20-2005, 01:16 PM
There was never really a "defining moment" in my life. I remember when I was little I some how ended up with a Sox shirt and batting helmet. I still don't know exactly where they came from but I wore them all the time.

Then as I started getting older I decided my favorite color to wear was black. Lo and behold the Sox went and changed their colors!

I think what really did it for me more than anything is the fact that my best friend was always a Cubs fan. So whenever we played against each other(whether it be real-life or video games) I always had to pick the "opposite" team while still staying within my home state. :cool:

spongyfungy
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I was at the first interleague game as a Cubs fan. During the game I found myself rooting for the Sox and less for the Cubs. I guess I like good baseball, you know?

SoxBoy14
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
A combination of things: Dick Allen, Harry Caray, my mother was a nurse for the Sox and I met Reichart, Allen and Melton, but most importantly I'm from the generation [41 years old] that actually went to the park all day in the summer and played pick-up basketball and baseball. Does anyone remember "pitcher's hand is out" or "right field out"? We had fun while the boring kids stayed home, sat on the couch and watched the cubs. Active kids [Sox] v. boring kids [cubs]. I wish the cubs still only played day games.

EastCoastSoxFan
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
My dad was a big White Sox and Chicago Cardinals fan back when they both played in Comiskey Park; in fact, one of his favorite memories from college was interviewing Cardinals running backs Charley Trippi and Elmer Angsman (I'm sure all you WSI'ers from my dad's generation will recognize those names). By the time I was born the Cardinals were long gone but the White Sox loyalty remained and will continue through this generation and (hopefully) the next...

mjharrison72
05-20-2005, 01:26 PM
What a topic for my 400th post...

For me, there never really was a doubt. While my neighborhood friends were all crowing about Ryne Sandberg and Leon Durham, my Grandma had taken me to Sox games and taught me that we didn't root for that "other" team... when i would play ball with the kids, I would always imagine myself as Carlton Fisk or Ron Kittle. I was always outnumbered in Naperville by sheep-like cubs fans, but it also meant I had a closer connection to the few Sox fans I knew...

Iwritecode
05-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I cannot improve upon this statement...

It was either you or rdivaldi that posted on the troll board a few years ago the exact moment you made the switch. I kept it because it made me LOL when I read it.

He said it was June 6 1998. The day after the infamous "vines" play where the weeds in Wrigley mysteriously ate a ball hit by Maggs that would have scored the winning run for the Sox.

- I go to the game.
- I notice that no one else is watching the game until SamMe comes to bat.
- I have annoying Cub fans asking me during the game "What's the score?", "Who's pitching?"
- I notice that the few Sox fans sitting near me are actually paying attention.
- Ronnie Woo Woo comes to our section. While everyone is paying attention to him a Cub run scores and nobody notices.
- I think to myself, "G-d is this idiot annoying."
- After the game ends, outside the stadium a drunk group of 20-something's are outside cheering "Cubs Rule", then one of them asks me what the score is.
- I think to myself "How can I possibly align myself with this?"
- I go home, burn my Cub pennant, tear up my Cub hat, and throw them both away.

I consider myself to be a serious sports fan, and sitting in that ballpark that June day, I was embarrassed to be there. I'll never go back.

I left out a bunch of details, but that is the meat and potatoes of it.

Go Sox.

Sxy Mofo
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
It was either you or rdivaldi that posted on the troll board a few years ago the exact moment you made the switch. I kept it because it made me LOL when I read it.

He said it was June 6 1998. The day after the infamous "vines" play where the weeds in Wrigley mysteriously ate a ball hit by Maggs that would have scored the winning run for the Sox.

I remember rdivaldi on the troll board. I remember justjim35. I went by this name and golddome22 on the the espn board. What were you guys names over there (if the names have changed).

Iwritecode
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I use the same name everywhere I go. I haven't posted on the troll board in years.

ATXBMX
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I went to cubs game when I was about 4 or 5 years old. The only thing I can remember is that it was very cold out and it was really boring. They were losing bad by the 5th inning and I bailed out early. Later that summer I went to a sox game, saw a winning team, saw Frank, and I've never looked back.

rookieroy
05-20-2005, 01:42 PM
The "Lee Elia Tirade" is what did it for me! Isn't that the greatest radio clip you have ever heard? :bandance:

Baines, Fisk and Kittle were major contributors as well. Funny how I had really good timing to go to 25-30 games in '83! :supernana:

pinwheels3530
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Old Comiskey, Winning ugly uniforms, old sox batter logo, Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, Ozzie Guillen, Ron Kittle and I can't forgot the exploding scoreboard!!

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Frank Thomas. When I was little I was a huge Frank Thomas fan. He made me a sox fan, and keeps me a sox fan

It all started with the Big Hurt for me as well...

Sox of White
05-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Fortunately, my father has always been a Sox fan. He lived a couple blocks west of Comiskey in his early years, so it was destined for me to follow his footsteps. I am so glad I did. cubs suck!

Johnny Mostil
05-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Oh, my, making fun of the mentally handicapped . . . what's next, poop jokes about Cub fans?

mterraza
05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I got hooked with the 77 southside hitmen. I grew up a baseball fan so it was just natural to root for the White Sox. Watchn those lovable losers screwn it up :o: and having a good laugh was probably the only reason I'd even watch them.

tebman
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I grew up in Hammond, which is really an extension of the South Side -- same mindset, same culture, same issues. There was never a defining moment for me, just a feeling that the Sox were all about people I knew who worked for a living. Even 45+ years ago when I was a kid, the other team seemed to be more about businessmen sipping highballs than athletic competition.

Fast forward to now, and it doesn't seem to have changed much.

mccoydp
05-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Easy: Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Ozzie Guillen, etc.

A.T. Money
05-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Dad is a Sox fan. Was bred that way.

Realist
05-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I was 12 years old in 1977 and my mom worked for a realty company that also had former Sox pitcher Skip Pitlock (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pitlosk01.shtml) working there. The realty company had 4 season tickets right behind the visitors dugout so my family and I went to a ton of games that summer and I got swept up in the excitement of the South Side Hitmen. The hook was sunk.

When my Cubs fan friends would always try to argue how each Cubs player was always better than each Sox player when they obviously were not, I learned to hate the Cubs and the mindless blind faith of their fans.

Dan H
05-20-2005, 02:26 PM
My Dad bought me a Cubs cap when I was six. I wore it once, felt like a traitor and promptly lost it. I have never looked back.

DumpJerry
05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
This thread is mis-named. None of us made a choice to be a Sox fan over being a Flub fan. There is no choice involved. It is simply a function of intelligence. We are the ones who have IQ's over 100. We just say it is geography to make the poor souls feel good about themselves............

TheRealDrFunk
05-20-2005, 02:41 PM
How appropo.. first post on this board, about why I am a Sox fan, as I see Wrigley erupt over Lee getting hit. Must've forgotten Maddux hit Iguchi not even 10 minutes ago..

Sox fan here for life, because I'm from the South Side (Hyde Park). Glad to be aboard.

DumpJerry
05-20-2005, 02:48 PM
How appropo.. first post on this board, about why I am a Sox fan, as I see Wrigley erupt over Lee getting hit. Must've forgotten Maddux hit Iguchi not even 10 minutes ago..

Sox fan here for life, because I'm from the South Side (Hyde Park). Glad to be aboard.
:welcome: You're from Hyde Park? I grew up there! Kenwood, class of '80. Any chance we know each other? PM me.

CanBuehrleWait
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Frank got me real intrested.... 93 Sox sealed the deal :bandance:

Moses_Scurry
05-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Back in 1983-1985 I rooted for both teams. Then in 1986 when I was in 6th grade, I was the only Sox fan in my homeroom class with 20 or so scrub fans. They were the most merciless jerks that constantly put down the Sox and bragged about the scrubs even though they were equally terrible that year.

So, from that point on, I have always rooted against the scrubs. I can give my 6th grade colleagues a slide, but I have found that scrub fans are jerks no matter how old they are!!

DetroitSoxFan
05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
My dad is a Sox fan and took me to a lot of games when I was little, but the main reason why I'm still a Sox fan instead of a Cubs fan today is even though I like drinking beer outdoors and staring at girls, I'm smart enough to realize I can do that at a restaurant, bar, park, or balcony and I don't need to pay $30+ for a ticket and another $20 for food. Unlike most Cubs fans, I love the sport itself so when I go to a game I want to watch the players on the field.

Black_Betsy
05-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Grew up a cubs fan, got sick of watching them lose. Sox picked up Carlton Fisk and I haven't looked back.

BigEdWalsh
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, I echo the sentiment of many, it wasn't a matter of choice. Certainly not consciously. It's kinda like did you have a choice to love your mom?
I admit that when I was much younger I wondered why I hate the Cubs. Afterall, they're from Chicago:redface: . So I made the choice to try and like them. I knew right away it just couldn't happen and gave up that silly notion just as quickly as it had come to me.
:fans The ONLY way to be.

Goose
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Cuz my Daddy brought me up right.

FARMEO
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
My grandmother took me to Sox games, she lived on the Southwest side. Fireworks from the original monster scoreboard and night games were much more fun to a kid than day games.

LauraJ14
05-20-2005, 04:28 PM
My Dad and Mom are Sox fans even though both were raised on the NW side of the city. There was no choice involved in being a Sox fan in my family. My first sports hero's were Bill Melton, Carlos May, Jorge Orta and Wilbur Wood. I think I would have been disowned if I decided to become a Cubs fan which I never have considered.

chidonez
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I moved to Chicago in 2001, landing in Bridgeport. The decision was made easier by the fact that I've always followed the AL more than the NL, due to the cities I was living in. Sox park just felt right from the beginning, and I could see the fireworks from my window. I always root for the home team. I'm just glad I didn't end up on the North Side at first, although I did eventually move to Lakeview. Man, I loved wearing my Sox gear up there.

\I'm in Boston now, but as a student, and therefore not technically a resident

SoxFan48
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I made the decision when I was a young pup lying in bed with the flu listening to a Sox-Cubs exhibition game. My doctor, Dr. Ward, who I hated had just made a house-call.

That day Jim Busby (my first name) was running wild and the Cubs had a player named Preston Ward (my dreaded doctor's name). Cubs v. Sox...Ward vs Jim...I have been a Sox fan ever since that fateful day.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Cub "fans" made me switch. I grew up in WI so cheered the Brewers. Moved to Chicago about 4 years ago and briefly flirted with Cub fandom. The fans started to annoy me and the last straw was a bRewers-Cubs game I went to 2 years ago. It was back when Choi was still on the team. He came up to bat for the first time and these dudes decked out in full Cubbie wear shouted about every racial slur in the boot at him. First off, that stuff is crap as it is. Secondly, why say such things about players on your own team? Revenge was Choi's though as he hit a home run. The guys didn't cheer.

I switched to the Sox that night and never looked back...

Cat Thief
05-20-2005, 05:08 PM
They sent me free tickets when I got A's and perfect attendance in grammar school! I got my mom to thank for that. :D:

She used to let me take the California bus all the way from Marquette Park to 35th then up to the park. Man those were the days. I miss em so much my eyes get a bit watery. I was only like 12 or 13 at the time. Now I would not let my 11 or 13 yr old take the CTA anywhere! Times have changed.

:cool:

chisoxfan64
05-20-2005, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Cat Thief]They sent me free tickets when I got A's and perfect attendance in grammar school!

When I was in 7th grade, I had my perfect attendance going making sure I would get my free Sox tickets. One morning I woke up sick as a dog, my mom said I couldn`t go to school. I threw a fit, said I had to go I didn`t want to lose my tickets. She said no way and that was it. She left for work about an hour later and I headed off to school late. Got my tickets that year :D:

Baby Fisk
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
When I was in 7th grade, I had my perfect attendance going making sure I would get my free Sox tickets. One morning I woke up sick as a dog, my mom said I couldn`t go to school. I threw a fit, said I had to go I didn`t want to lose my tickets. She said no way and that was it. She left for work about an hour later and I headed off to school late. Got my tickets that year :D:

That is awesome!

jake27
05-20-2005, 05:38 PM
my dad and mom were white sox fans so i went to games w/ them while i was young, then i was hooked.

ElevenUp
05-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I grew up a Cub fan. October 26, 1992 the Cubs released Greg Maddux. When I heard about his release I experienced a moment of clarity: that the idiots at the Tribune had no interest in fielding a winner. I've been a Sox fan ever since and have enjoyed every moment of it.

Tragg
05-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I was born on the southside at U of C Hospital. My dad went to Sox games his 3 years in Chicago; that and my six months here are my only ties to Chicago.

boiler up
05-20-2005, 06:12 PM
the fact my dad would have kicked me out of the house when i first showed signs of being a scrub fan

sox through and through

Corlose 15
05-20-2005, 06:14 PM
My dad grew up on the far west side and is a Sox fan. He taught me good baseball sense and thus I'm a Sox fan.

Cubs Suck, its as simple as that.

Muopsies
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
My dad was/is a Sox fan and wouldn't have it any other way. Can't say that I'm sorry about it either. Great game today.

harwar
05-20-2005, 06:19 PM
I grew up a couple of miles from Sox Park and almost everyone in my family were(and are) White sox fans.
My dad would only go to wrigley to watch the Bears.
Some of my earliest memories are of playing around the arches in old Sox Park.

whitesoxfan1986
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I was raised a sox fan and 2 or 3 times a year when I was very young we went to Comiskey to watch games. My dad taught me that the Cubs were losers, and the first time I heard the song " take me out to the ball game" all I could hear was my dad saying " root for whoever's playing the cubs, if they don't win its a shame" it stuck in my head for a long time. I thought they were the actual words to the song. I'm guessing my dad is a sox fan because he grew up 3 blocks from old comiskey and used to sneak in to watch games all the time.

PAPChiSox729
05-20-2005, 07:01 PM
I really don't know how I became a Sox fan. After losing interest in professional wrestling when I was about 11, I just started watching the Sox. Though my family (besides me) isn't too big into baseball, they definitely favor the Cubs. And, regretfully, my first games where during the Beanie Baby giveaway days at Wrigley. So how I grew interest in Sox is really beyond me. Maybe I was just that smart. Anyways, I'm a Sox fan now, and that's all that matters.

:cool:

QueerGirrl
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I grew up a fan of both teams (I'm from a family of "support your hometown teams no matter if they suck or not").:redface: I remember following the '83 Sox and the '84 Cubs (blah, blah) and I stayed a supporter of both til 2000. I move to the Sox exclusively not because they were doing so well, it was because of the Cubs.

My gf and I got Cubs season tickets in '99 and '00 and it was the biggest waste of money ever!!! We were sick of the team, the fans and that crap-ass stadium. We completely stop going to night games because the crowds were so rowdy and it was uncomfortable (being a couple of fans that actually watched the game). All the stereotypes about the "fans" are very, very true and it got to be really annoying.

So in '00 we started to go to more Sox games and it was awesome! Better stadium, better fans and we liked what was happening on the field. We have been following the Sox exclusively every since.

I'm proud to admit that my first jersey was Frank's (let my ex borrow it and never got it back!! God I still hate her!! :angry: ) and I've never owned a Cubs jersey.

wassagstdu
05-20-2005, 08:53 PM
When my Cubs fan friends would always try to argue how each Cubs player was always better than each Sox player when they obviously were not, I learned to hate the Cubs and the mindless blind faith of their fans.

I was a Sox fan for years before I became a Cubs hater. What did it was the idiotic contention that (first baseman) Ernie Banks was a better shortstop than Luis Aparicio. Unbelievable.

:luis&nell

Cellview22
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I grew up watching the Sox on tv in the basement with my whole family. We were all diehards and were all big fans of Hawk and Whimpy. My parents would occasionally buy us all tix to Comiskey but we couldn't afford to go too often.

On several occasions I had to join my youth group and go to a Cubs game and always hated it. The fans were so happy and cheery no matter what and everyone was singing in the van, it drove me nuts. I hated every minute of it. My parents just wanted me to have more friends from church, but I had nothing in common with these people. They supported losing and only cared about impressing their friends (didn't care that the L flag was permanently in sight), even at a young age, I knew everything Cub-related was EVIL. :redneck

I never understood the fans who said they're "Chicago fans" and root for both teams. You can only put your heart and soul into one team. Luckily for me, it's been the Sox from a very early age.

jkrohn
05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
I honestly can't ever remember being otherwise. Neither of my parents were baseball fans, so lord knows how I fell into it :)

viagracat
05-20-2005, 09:11 PM
My first post in awhile.

For me, by birth (native North Sider) and family ties, I should've been a Flub fan. It was the mid-1960s when I started following baseball when I turned about seven. My dad was a big Cub fan, we had them on the TV every day and when we went to a game, it was always to Wrigley. The Sox didn't even exist in my house. But I discovered them anyway, and back then, they were good and the Cubs really, really stunk. And we had Brickhouse always defending the bad baseball they were playing, such as an error by Kessenger caused by a "bad hop", a strikeout by Santo with the game on the line shrugged off as bad luck, and the always reliable "the Cubs are just snakebit" jive. So I'm thinking, even as a little kid, "why are we watching these jags, when there is a good team in town?" Or something like that. So eventually, the whole family would surround our one black-and-white TV watching the Cubs except me; I went to the radio to hear Bob Elson call the Sox game that was usually going on at the same time on the weekends. So the seed was planted early on despite the odds. There is a God.:smile:

MeanFish
05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
At an early age, probably around eight or nine, I started watching games. I didn't watch as much as I do now, but I did watch whenever baseball was on, for I was in little league and the game had piqued my curiosity.

I actually tried my hand at being a Cub fan first. I always heard about them since most of the people I knew were Cub fans, but they were seriously the most brutal team I have ever seen (to this day). This was the early nineties, mind you, and they were absolutely gosh. I just couldn't get into a team that always looked tired and disinterested.

So I started watching the White Sox, and I remember the exact play that made me a believer. Joey Cora had fielded a ground ball to his right, and he whirled around and threw that sucker straight into the stands, at least eight feet over Thomas' head.

It was an absolutely brutal play, but to see someone hurry and be somewhat acrobatic was a far cry from the horror of watching the Cubs. Then, in the top of the next inning I saw my favorite player of the era hit a double: Robin Ventura.

The team had life, unlike their northside counterparts. It was the 1992 team, and while they weren't necessarily burning up the standings, they showed a lot of promise. That team made me a Sox fan.

bayzbol44
05-20-2005, 09:50 PM
As many people have stated who likes to lose?

Between '74 (year I was born) and '92 the scrubbies had 2 winning seasons.

And the Sox had 7.

Shorty1983
05-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I can go back to the days when I got perfect attendence in Grammar school and was rewarded with free tickets to the Sox game. I never once missed a day of school. :D:

Also, the northside made me a stronger devoted Sox fan.

logansquaresox
05-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Fourth generation Sox fan. 'Nuf said. We have this excellent picture of my great-grandmother catching a homer at the age of sixty-eight in old Comiskey. Sox fandom is matrilineal in my family. :bandance:

flo-B-flo
05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm from the generation [41 years old] that actually went to the park all day in the summer and played pick-up basketball and baseball. Does anyone remember "pitcher's hand is out" or "right field out"? Indeed, the pitcher had to stay in the pitchers circle and was the first baseman as it were. No riight fielder, so if you hit it there you're out.........Memories.

MIgrenade
05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
We had season tickets and my grandfather woulda killed me and my brothers if we went blue. There was never a choice.

flo-B-flo
05-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Cuz my Daddy brought me up right. My mom:c-- fan; My dad: Sox fan.:smile:

jehosaphat
05-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Oh, my, making fun of the mentally handicapped . . . what's next, poop jokes about Cub fans?

I agree. As a teacher I've witnessed kids who don't have a whole lot of advantages in life feel degraded because other kids have teased them about "riding the short bus." They may not learn academics as fast as others, but they have ears. Although I'm sure the original poster intended no offense, I find the comment to be mean spirited and really hope that it is not the "post of the week".

As for my "Come to the Sox experience", my family moved most of my childhood but we eventually settled in downstate Illinois while I was in high school. During my summer of my freshman year of College, I got hooked on Harry Carey and Jimmie Piersall and the South Side Hit Men. The Sox were the fun team, the working people's team, and the underdog. The Cubs, on the other hand, were the easy team to support and I was in no mood to go along with the crowd on much of anything in those days. And, I've just stuck with the Sox over the years. Sort of peculiar that I've followed the Sox so closely and been so loyal over the years, but I guess we all need a diversion or two, and the White Sox are my team!

buehrle4cy05
05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
My turning point was in 1999. I was sitting in the last row of the last section at Comisky for a Cubs vs. Sox game, and it was when the Cubs were doing well, looking to go to the playoffs for the second straight year. Well, the Sox scratched back and got the game tied in the 9th, and I believe Ray Durham hit a sac fly (or scored on the fly, I just remember he was involved in the play) and the Sox won the game. I was already leaning towards the Sox, but I list that as the turning point. The next year, I was a Sox fan BEFORE they made the playoffs, so no, I did not jump on the bandwagon and stay there. I now am working on building up a huge Sox memorabilia collection, which is due to include a Frank Thomas autographed baseball card where he noted it "Big Hurt" and a Carlton Fisk autographed baseball card where he noted it "Pudge", to go along with about 250 more pieces of White Sox memorabilia.

Johnny Mostil
05-20-2005, 11:51 PM
I agree. As a teacher I've witnessed kids who don't have a whole lot of advantages in life feel degraded because other kids have teased them about "riding the short bus." They may not learn academics as fast as others, but they have ears. Although I'm sure the original poster intended no offense, I find the comment to be mean spirited and really hope that it is not the "post of the week".

Thank you for writing this. I've an autistic daughter--somebody who does indeed ride "the short bus" on occasion--whose moments of better communication include playing baseball (in what limited way she can) and watching White Sox games with Daddy. If my watching Cub games were to make her talk more, then I'd be a Cub fan as well . . .

SOXPHILE
05-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I was born in 1970, the Sox worst year (56-100 ?). My dad is a Sox fan, but my mom is a Cubs fan. I wanted to be like dad, so the Sox became my favorite team too. As for the Cubs, I actually didn't hate them. I would even watch them, and root for them when they were on during the day. If they lost, oh well. I knew the White Sox would be on and win that night, and that was most important. I started my hatred towards the Cubs in 1983. A great year, of course. But all around the northwest suburbs where I lived, I would sometimes get the "White Sox ? They stink ! Go Cubbies" etc., whenever I had a Sox hat or shirt on. It would piss me off, and I couldn't figure it out. I mean, they're in first place, and the Cubs had never done a damn thing that I could recall, except lose alot. Then, in 1984, when seemingly every moron in Illinois came out of the woodwork, and were suddenly "lifetime fans" of the Cubs, and Wrigleyville became Yuppy-Frat Boy-Trixie Girl-Drunk Businessman-Little Kids With Ryne Sandberg Shirts Mecca that it still is today, I couldn't stand it anymore. I openly rooted for them to lose to the Padres to the shock & horror of many, and I haven't looked back since. The rest, as they say, is history.

Corlose 15
05-21-2005, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=buehrle4cy05]My turning point was in 1999. I was sitting in the last row of the last section at Comisky for a Cubs vs. Sox game, and it was when the Cubs were doing well, looking to go to the playoffs for the second straight year. Well, the Sox scratched back and got the game tied in the 9th, and I believe Ray Durham hit a sac fly (or scored on the fly, I just remember he was involved in the play) and the Sox won the game.QUOTE]

I was at that game, the Cubs botched a DP grounder in the bottom of the ninth and I think Lee hit a sac fly to score Sugar Ray. It was the 4th win in a row against the flubs that year after the sweep at Wrigley, that game was AWESOME.

SoxWillWin
05-21-2005, 12:32 AM
I never made a choice, the Sox have just always been in my life. I remember Sox games on TV and going to Old Comiskey as a kid and it just stuck, the Sox are part of my upbringing, so there is no choice involved.

tstrike2000
05-21-2005, 01:03 AM
My dad got a job as a security guard at old Comiskey Park in the 60's when my family moved to Chicago. He became a Sox fan and I became one starting with the very first game he took me to in 1982. When I got heckled by my Scrub fan friends for going to a Sox game, I knew I would never lower my standards and be a Scrub fan.

Juice16
05-21-2005, 01:11 AM
growing up I rooted for both teams. I have always favored the Sox. Sorta like how Illinois is my fav team but I still pull for DePaul. When I got older and saw how bias the media was toward the Sox and how they candy coated everything with the Cubs, it caused me despise them. The introduction of talk radio also exposed me to how mindless so many Cub fans are and how they are so vulnerable to the Cub machine. My favorite call was back in in the Randy johnson chase a few years back, a caller couldn't understand why the Cubs didn't trade Jose Hernandez for him.

Bisco Stu
05-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Great thread!

Just call me a North Side rebel. Caray & Piersall and the 77 Hit Men got me loving the Sox, after becoming a fan in '76. I didn't mind the Flubs so much until 1984 when suddenly everybody and their mother was a Flubs fan and Wrigley Field was "the" place to be (funny how in 1983, it wasn't).

The resentment that began in 1984, when the media annointed the Flubs as "Chicago's team" and the phony nostalgia trips associated with the Urinal has turned into full fledged :angry: !

It must be something about 1984--that was the year the Sox signed Tom Seaver, my favorite pitcher/player of all time.

Also, it's that the Sox have always been the underdog in the city, the team of INTEGRITY lurking in the shadows, waiting for their moment.

That moment could be coming soon.

But until then, I'll take a City Sweep of the Flubs!

ShoelessJoeS
05-21-2005, 02:05 AM
when my grandpa took me to my first baseball game in '91 at "Comiskey," we fell in love at first site

SoupAppling
05-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I've always been a fan of American League baseball.

I jumped on the bandwagon as a kid in 83. Growing up in Northwest Indiana you couldn't help but root for Kittle. But I became a real die hard fan in 90's when Ventura and Frank came up and the young pitching staff with McDowell, Alex, Alvarez and even Bere were tearing it up.

I've always hated the cubs.

alohafri
05-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Most of us made a decision at some point to follow the White Sox over the Cubs...what was your "defining moment" that led you to the ChiSox? For me...it was the 1971 White Sox...with Harry Caray on the radio sounding very exciting in comparison to the sleep inducing Boudreau/Lloyd..and Chuck Tanner/Roland Hemond really trying to win vs. the Cubs leadership which obviously (even to me...a 9 year old kid) didn't have winning as a priority. The Dick Allen/Tommy John trade the following winter...closed the deal.

I actually followed both teams in my younger days, through college, but always leaned toward the Sox due to my father never having been to the "Shrine." However, I did own a Cub hat because my college girlfriend was a Cub fan. Then, when she "found" Jesus, I had my own religious awakening and burned my Cub hat on the softball field.

hsnterprize
05-21-2005, 09:07 AM
I wasn't raised to be a Sox fan per se, but I remember back in the 80's...2 things really stuck out in my mind. First, my dad said that he liked the Sox more than the Cubs, and secondly, when the Cubs were becoming more of a "trendy" team than the Sox, many people would sing TMOTTBG with Harry at Wrigley, and then LEAVE. That always amazed me as to why these "die-hard Cubs fans" left after the Harry Show was done. Now I'm older and much, much wiser. Despite flirting with the Cubs while I was away in the Army, I became a hard-core fan full-time when I came home. I realized I could only root for one team, so it only made sense to follow the one that was actually BETTER than the other.

To this day, I'm still looking for a button-up black Sox Starter-brand jacket I bought before I shipped out to basic training. I think my little sister, who was starting about to start high school soon, took it and lost it. She even lost a one-of-a-kind Sox jacket I bought while I was stationed in Korea. It was made in Korea, and had leather lettering on the back of it. I also had patches sewn on the sleeves...an Illinois state flag on one shoulder, and an 82nd Airborne Division patch on the other.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I turned to the Sox on my own free will and there is no going back. It's less a rooting interest than a life-long crusade. I'm a fan of the Bears, Bulls, and Hawks. But I feel myself dying when the Sox go belly up every summer...

The Urinal nonsense that has its roots in the 1969 season, and has increased at a logarithmic pace since 1984, makes ever rooting for that bunch of ****ing dopes an utter impossiblity. They deserve every bit of the losing that outfit serves them.

Urban Legend
05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Muddy Waters was a White Sox fan. That's good enough for me.

Cowhead418
05-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm like a fourth or fifth generation Sox fan. My dad grew up one. My grandpa grew up one. My great grandparents grew up on the South Side. Apparently my great grandfather was a Flub fan, but he made sure to keep quiet about it because if he ever told my grandmother about his allegiance she would have beat him to death. My great grandmother was an extremely die-hard Sox fan. She went to nearly every game and although she only weighed about 80 pounds, she could've pounded the **** out of my Flub fan grandfather. I was born and bred a Sox fan and am proud to say that I have NEVER flirted with the Dark side. I never really hated the Flubs until 2003 when everyone jumped on the bandwagon. All of a sudden a quiet fanbase started talking smack like they had 500 World Series under their belts. Until then I had quietly rooted for the Sox but the 2003 playoffs is what really strengthened my Sox allegiance to what it is today. Unfortunately I missed that amazing 2000 season.

jabrch
05-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Like my sexual preference, I had no "choice" - I was born a Sox fan. I didn't just wake up one day and decide, hey, I lke the Sox, and women.

kojak
05-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Mom (Roseland) was a Cub fan and Dad (Bridgeport) was a Sox fan. We moved from Chicago when I was 10 and when I began following baseball, I chose the Cubs as a way of relating to something from my hometown. It wasn't until I turned 18 and returned to Oak Lawn that I realized my folly. I got to watch the last of the Harry/Piersall games and fell in love with Harold and Carlton. And I have remained faithful ever since, despite those awful Winning Ugly uniforms. Of Coors, my reward is the Best Unis in Baseball that we have now and hopefully forever.

dividedsk717
05-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I grew up (and still live) in Central Indiana ... this was and still somewhat is Reds country. So, I grew up cheering for the Reds. Sometime just after the Reds won the World Series in '90, I got impatient with the Reds ... bored with them. They went from being my childhood team to being a team that I felt no association to, and I can't really explain it. So, I knew I needed a change. I wanted to cheer for a team close to Indiana ... a team I could see on TV and drive to see. Based on the rivalry with the Reds and Cubs, I knew I could never cheer for those dopes on the North Side. So, the choice was obvious: cheer for the White Sox.

I've never looked back ... and now, I like to think I have the best of both worlds: I rediscovered my love with the Reds and still devote most of my passion for the Sox. This means that I have justification for a double-barrelled hatred for the Cubs!

Now that central Indiana media types and places of business either sell or push Cubbie crap down our throats, it makes me truly believe that I made the best, sensible and logical choice.

Cheering for the White Sox is real. Everything about the White Sox represents what it's like to be middle to lower class in America. It's a beautiful experience.

Bryan in Indiana :gulp:

ssviland
05-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I grew up in a small town southwest of Chicago and loyalty to the Sox and Cubs was divided almost equally. My grandma and great-grandfather were Cubs fans, but liked the Sox too. My dad and uncle were Sox fans.

For many years I was a fan of both teams, but was more of a Cubs fan. This was probably due to seeing them more on TV and my mom taking me to more Cubs games than Sox.

1977 was an exciting to pull for both teams. The South Side Hit Men nearly was the AL West and both teams were in contention late in the year.

Around 1979, at age 12, I started turning toward the Sox. I liked Comiskey Park better. Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall were incredible on the radio. While I liked players like Kingman, Murcer, Buckner and Sutter, the Sox had players with intriguing names: Wilbur Wood, Soderholm, Nordhagen, Bannister, Barrios, Kravec, Chet Lemon and Lamar Johnson. I liked the logo and black colors (despite the aweful look of the untucked shirtails.)

By 1981 I had made my decision. I think the trade of Bruce Sutter was the last straw. Fears of the Sox moving to Oakland or Florida were allayed when Reinsdorf bought the Sox. He made the team immediately competitive by signing Fisk and LeFlore, two of my favorite players, and added Luzinski. Baines, Burns and Dotson were young stars. LaRussa was great manager.

It was obvious that the Reinsdorf-owned Sox were comitted to winnning. The Cubs were only good enough to draw fans. I admit that Hendry has tried to pull together winning teams the past few years, thus the first back-to-back winning seasons in more than 30 years. But prior to that, the Cubs hadn't been winners in nearly 70 years! Let's not forget that in 1945 many teams were depleted from the war.

The Sox have had winning teams for most of the past 55 years, take away some years in the 70s and a couple years at the end of the 90s. Since 1951 the Sox have had a better record than the Cubs more than not. I have heard Cubs fans talk about Sox fans being envious. Of what? Green ivy? We have a better park! Losing? Nope. Herman Franks? Nah. We had Terry Bevington.

To summarize, as a kid I was drawn more to a team committed to winning, especially since 1981. I also liked Comikskey Park better. I was at Wrigley to see the Sox win yesterday. I had been there once or twice in 20 years, and it was the first time in about 10 years. A post blocked right field. No lineups on the scoreboard. Expensive food that wasn't very good. Long lines at the rest rooms. I do miss old Comiskey, with the upper deck and batting cage under the stands. But the new park is nice, and has good ambiance after the remodeling.

AND... we have the best record in baseball.

Southsider101
05-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Twi-night doubleheaders in the early '60s.

The first Sox game I can remember going to was a Friday night twinight doubleheader against the Yankees in the early 60s. I always thought of Comiskey as being the R-rated ballpark compared to G-rated Wrigley Field. Old Comiskey was the ballpark for adults-- it had night games, Wrigley had only day games. To this fan, Wrigley was always too Protestant, and too white bread--a sanitized version of baseball. Old Comiskey had lights,Andy the Clown, the Sox-O-Gram, organ music, and that haze of cigerette smoke that seemed to hang over the park by the fifth inning. Going to night games at Comiskey with your parents, neighbors, or a group was like a window to adulthood.

But best of all, the Sox teams of that time were winning teams with great pitching and defense. Growing up on the far south side then, everyone was a Sox fan-the Cubs were looked upon as a pathetic joke and no south side kid would even think of wearing a Cubs hat in public.

goodsy72
05-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I would have been disowned by my family if I had been a Cub fan.

How True !!! I once went with some friends to the urinal to see a game, when the old man found out I went to the urinal he threatend to write me out of the will, I told him I wore my Sox gear and rooted for the Cardinals, but he said that didn't matter. It's just not something respectable Sox fans do, unless the Sox are playing there.

Infallible
05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Genetics- I was born like the most of you with fully functioning mental capacity.

Black Sox
05-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Easy: Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Ozzie Guillen, etc.

Exactly. Remember guys like Warren Newsome? The Deacon...that was a great nickname. Hawk use to have some real good one's. One dog Lance Johnson. Of course the Big hurt but also "the little hurt" Craig Grebeck. "The Officer" Ron Karkovice. "The Pope" Donn Paul. I also remember Dan Pasqua but I don't recall if he had a nickname.

Hawk has been slacking on the nicknames since the turn of the new century. He needs to think of something clever for Pods. Also for Ozuna, I like his style.

Whitesox029
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
My defining moment was 18.5 years ago--and I'm only 17.75 years old.

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2005, 10:31 PM
:tomatoaward

Incidentally, I started out on the dark side at age 5. One year later as a 6-year-old I switched allegainces and never looked back!! GO SOX!! :gulp:

SoxFan928
05-22-2005, 01:55 AM
I chose the Sox over the Flubs because my grandparents grew up on the South Side and Dad was raised in Villa Park as a HUGE Sox fan, and he passed it on to me.

wsbaseball9
05-22-2005, 01:58 AM
when i was little, before bed my dad would tuck me in and tell stories of the 'go-go' white sox and other famous sox stories and then he'd tell me how the cubs havent won a world series in almost a century and how theyll prolly never win one again

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Dad from South Side, Mom from Cal City; they even hated the Bears because they were Chicago Cardinals fans.

PeteWard
05-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I was conceived in October of '59!!!!

Dolanski
05-22-2005, 01:03 PM
It was 83 and I was a kindergartener at OLPH in Glenview. Sister Therese was our music teacher and she was teaching us the Star Spangled Banner. She had us sing it in class for the Cubs as they were playing a day game that day. I raised my hand and asked if we could sing it for the White Sox. She told me we don't sing for that team. I was so annoyed, I refused to ever root for the Cubs. Since it was a nun who turned me against the Cubs, I chalk it up to divine providence.

Hitmen77
05-22-2005, 03:22 PM
When I was about 6 or 7, one of my friends was talking about how the Cubs always lose, but everyone still likes them. I thought that sounded pretty stupid and decided that I would root for the Sox. Being a Sox fan was cemented a couple of years later during the exciting '77 season. I grew up in the NW suburbs and just about everyone else was a Cubs fan.

soxGirl14
05-22-2005, 04:51 PM
well being an astros fan i never was a cubs fan cause of rivarly...but then my boyfriend made me more of a cubs hater by introducing me to the white sox... im from the western suburbs so its all about the cubs, so i never really heard much about the sox until now and i love it!

tstrike2000
05-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Exactly. Remember guys like Warren Newsome? The Deacon...that was a great nickname. Hawk use to have some real good one's. One dog Lance Johnson. Of course the Big hurt but also "the little hurt" Craig Grebeck. "The Officer" Ron Karkovice. "The Pope" Donn Paul. I also remember Dan Pasqua but I don't recall if he had a nickname.

Dan Pasqua was "Hammer."

ExpoPuddingHead
05-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I became a sox fan because my brother's friend was the grandson of the Mazers who own a large portion of the white sox and gave us box seats. Now i'm obsessed with the team. BTW i found how the cubs fans who pay attention to baseball can stand being cubs fans. Most of them are actually sox fans who got driven away by Jerry and his St. Petersburg plan.

pearso66
05-23-2005, 12:03 AM
I was originally a Cubs fan, not by choice, but because my parents always took us to games because their friends were cub fans. One year we went to a cub fest type thing at Wrigley, It probably was Cub fest but I was too young to remember. Anyway, 2 cubs players walked past us, and my brother and I were trying to get their attention, by saying hi, and yelling out their names. Both players, I don't remember who, walked right past us without even acknowledging we were there. My parents were so pissed, we never went to a Cubs game again.
Either later that year, or the next, I went to a Sox game for one of my friends b-days, and I have been hooked ever since.

thechico
05-23-2005, 12:44 PM
I was born in '70. My family moved from near 18th and Damen to Downers Grove in '73. Growing up in the late 70s, early 80s, in the summertime, there wasn't a lot on TV. What was worse was that we didn't have a UHF antenna. So my choices were Soaps (ugh), Ch 11 (too sophiticated at that age) and the Cubs on Ch 9. So, I watched more than a few games. Also, I vividly recall reading in the Sun-Times the '80 Cubs vs. '62 Mets, and the Cubs were actually worse.
I remember distinctly one afternoon when my Dad came home from work, I asked my Dad "Why don't we ever go to a Cubs game?"
His response, "We don't do that. That's not for us".
The next year, '81, my best friend got tickets thru Jewel, and my Dad took us to our first game that was a double-header against the O's. It was a drizzly April day, but we were along the 1st base side under the upper deck. Of course, the Sox won both games, the first 18-5 and the second 7-2 (I think). From there it was history.
My grandfather (for whom I'm named) was a bldg super for an industrial bldg on Morgan a little south of 35th. Before it was torn down, my Dad and I snuck in so I could see it. Made our way to the 6th floor, from which I could just see 2nd Base to the right. No game that day. Still what an experience that was. Being a South sider is in the blood and will be until I die.
-Chico

pauliemvp
05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Chico, I think that was also my first game. I was only about 7 at the time, but it was a doubleheader against the Orioles. Did Earl Weaver get ejected? Anyway, nothing drove me really to be a Sox fan over the Cubs. There was no choosing! I was a Sox fan and that's the way it was. My father was a Sox fan, his father, basically my whole family.

Fredrick
05-23-2005, 06:37 PM
In 1983 my father, a lifelong Sox fan took me to a Cub game (after I begged and pleaded) when I was 11. Steve Garvey hit a home run to left and a kid about my age caught it. Well the Cub fans booed the kid until he threw the ball back making the kid cry. At that point I told my Dad that he was right and I was wrong for ever wanting to root for the Cubs and not follow his example to be a Sox fan. Die hard ever since.

SOXSINCE'70
05-23-2005, 07:17 PM

Losing sucks. Cubs suck.

Sadly,I did the same early on.My first big league game that my
dad took me to was at the Urinal.I learned quickly to hate all
things sCrUBs (especially because of the day games).
The White Sox played many night games.That swung me the other
way.I've never looked back.I still say the 2003 NLCS choke was
one of the greatest moments in the history of Chicago sports.
Outside of the Bears winning the Super Bowl and the 6 Bulls
championships.:D:

PS- it helped that an 8" Aiwa black and white TV picked up
channel 44 clear as day in my bedroom.My parents set got
almost no reception at all.

Harry Chappas
05-23-2005, 07:44 PM
My father was born and raised in N.W. Indiana, so I think geography more than anything else dictated his love/obsession with the Sox.

Thanks to my father's careful screening of my exposure to the media, I didn't even know there was another team until a few years ago and I'm 35.

nasox
05-23-2005, 08:30 PM
My father was born and raised in N.W. Indiana, so I think geography more than anything else dictated his love/obsession with the Sox.

Thanks to my father's careful screening of my exposure to the media, I didn't even know there was another team until a few years ago and I'm 35.

Uhhh........I don't know what to say.

Thanks to my mother's careful screening, I didn't know how to use the toilet until a few years ago, and I'm 35.

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 08:30 PM
My mom was a fan of the go-go Sox, and especially Chico Carrasquel.

She gave me a '50s style Sox cap before I knew what it meant. In '67, at the age of ten, I remember seeing the Sox in first place in the newspaper. I put two and two together, and have never looked back. Those early years of '68 through '70 were tough for a Sox fan. Very tough.

leprchn36
05-24-2005, 10:43 AM
I've got several reasons for being "driven" to root for the Sox, most were put in place before I was even born:

When my grandfather came to the U.S. from Ireland, he lived in Canaryville, just south of Comiskey Park. I was born in September of '59, during the Sox' appearance in the World Series. But the main reason I'm a Sox fan is that I lack the 3 most important qualifications for rooting for the laughable..OOPS, loveable losers at Clark & Addison:

1. I'm NOT a North-sider
2. I'm NOT a Protestant
3. I'm NOT gay...

thechico
05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Did Earl Weaver get ejected?

I don't remember that. But that's not to say it didn't happen. Was that in the 2nd game?

steranim
05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I grew up in a Cub environment, 5 uncle/aunts from Melrose Park and 6 uncle/aunts from Downers Grove...all Cub fans? I have 16 cousins who are all, you guessed it, Cub fans. My mom worked for a Jerry owned company growing up and had Sky Box Tix all the time (front row at United, too), and she's a Cub fan?!?!?

So, I guess I was the rebel of the family early on. Only grandkid in military, first grandkid to leave Illinois, first grandkid married/divorced, only family member in jail.

I've been sick of the Cubs since before I can think about. I got to go to about 200 Cubs games growing up and 12 Sox games.

So, the question is "What drove you to choose Sox/Cubs?"

Family drove me to be a Sox fan. Die hard since '73.

robiwho
05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm beginning to think being a Sox fan is a genetic trait in my family -- I definitely had no choice in the matter and I wouldn't have it any other way!

ohhoy
05-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I use to live in Detroit and was a die hard Detroit Tigers fan. I moved to chicago when i was 8 and on the plane ride some random guy told me that i had to drop those Tigers and pay attention to the white sox. What this man didnt know was his statement to me would influence my decision and spark my arguements for years to come. Naturally it was easier for me to watch Sox games since i was in school during the day. Also i had to stay within the American League because it was the superior league. I also went to a Tigers/Sox game within the first couple of months moving to Chicago. Watching the Sox and Tigers duke it out for 17 innings when ozzie guillen hit the game winning double. Can't say the Cubs really impressed when i first moved here.

ChicagoHoosier
05-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I grew up in Indy as a Reds fan, so when I moved here in 1994, I couldn't just start rooting for the Cubs, but the Sox had no direct competition with the Reds. When they first played each other in 96 or 97 in interleague play, I realized I was rooting for the Sox, not the Reds. Also, i started following the Sox so much more just by living here and watching them and listengin to Rooney and Farmer. By 1998, I was sold as a true Sox fan. Wish I had more history, but I sure remember the 83 and 93 team just being a baseball fan.

power98
05-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Because I have a brain.

No, seriously. I watched WGN broadcast the Cubs while I lived in various places outside of Chicago and fell under the same spell that a lot of Americans fall under. I rooted for them because they were the underdog.

But then I moved to Chicago, and found out they weren't underdogs...they were just LOSERS. I went to Wrigley. Nice piece of history for baseball. Doesn't mean that I enjoy the experience of peeing into a trough, however. Anyhoo, it appeared to me that as long as the Tribune corp. had drunk yuppies sitting in the bleachers discussing how their date with Muffy went last night, they didn't care what crap they put on the field.

That was when my sanity was restored. But, there's only one regret I have as a Good Guys fan. Now that I've moved to Arizona...when I tell someone I moved from Chicago, the first question I always have to answer is "NO! I AM NOT A @#$#!!!! CUBS FAN!!!!"

SpartanSoxFan
05-25-2005, 12:43 AM
My dad has been, and will be 'till the day he dies, a hardcore Sox fan and Scrub hater. He's been instilling the same values into me since the age of 8. From the hats he has given to me as souvenier gifts to the original Comiskey Park seat he will eventually hand down to me, I intend on keeping the family legacy alive for future generations of Sox fans to come. :cool:

soxfanforlife28
05-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Most of us made a decision at some point to follow the White Sox over the Cubs...what was your "defining moment" that led you to the ChiSox? For me...it was the 1971 White Sox...with Harry Caray on the radio sounding very exciting in comparison to the sleep inducing Boudreau/Lloyd..and Chuck Tanner/Roland Hemond really trying to win vs. the Cubs leadership which obviously (even to me...a 9 year old kid) didn't have winning as a priority. The Dick Allen/Tommy John trade the following winter...closed the deal.Well growing up with a family full of white sox fans and not swaying outta the family tradition. Just thinking the fact of being a cubs fan in my family would like be taking a sledge hammer to the brain.My grampa was the biggest fan. I all i can remember me becoming a fan was basically written at birth. And that will continue and i already have 2 yr old daughter who loves the whitesox to. What really was hard tho was not having the sox on regular tv and them moving to cable. But i kept on rooting for them, and never gave up on em even tho i didnt get to see as much on tv. But attended the games instead when i could. Go sox!!!!!

Stroker Ace
05-25-2005, 12:02 PM
When I was young, I was a Mets fan. (the Amazins still have a place in my heart). When it came time to buy clothes for my first day of first grade, there was a really cool (from my point of view) Sox shirt I wanted. I got the shirt and started followimg the Sox. I've been a fan ever since.

mccombe_35
05-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Just the way I was brought up. Both of my parents & both sets of grand parents were Sox fans. My old man went to one of the '59 World Series games.

And it's just so easy to dislike the Cubs............

seanpmurphy
05-25-2005, 12:41 PM
well being an astros fan i never was a cubs fan cause of rivarly...but then my boyfriend made me more of a cubs hater by introducing me to the white sox... im from the western suburbs so its all about the cubs, so i never really heard much about the sox until now and i love it!

What would you do without me?

I started getting into the Sox around when I started playing little league but not really serious about it. The more I got into baseball I followed both Chicago teams, but now that I'm older and wiser, there's nothing good about the northside. Nothing good at all.

bestkosher
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Growing up I was raised in a bears house. My dad loved the bears and that was the only thing he really followed. On the weekends however, I would go out with my great aunt. She would take me to childhood haunts like haunted trails, and showbiz pizza. She also took me to my first sox game. She taught me all I know about baseball. Her sister my other great aunt lived on 35th and damen at the time and had a back porch which allowed me to see the fireworks going off at Comiskey. During the palyoffs or during crucial series my aunt would always make bets with me, of call me on the phone to ask if I watched the game. We would talk longer on the phone than I often did with my parents. During the years she would buy me as many hotdogs as my little body could handle.

Two years ago she passed away and at her funeral in hommage to her. I got a massive bouquet of flowers in the shape of a whitesox cap. Even on her death bed I gave her a White sox teddy bear to hold on to to think of hte Whitesox and the time we shared talking about them.

Harry Chappas
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Uhhh........I don't know what to say.

Thanks to my mother's careful screening, I didn't know how to use the toilet until a few years ago, and I'm 35.

Hmmm....does the term "kidding" ring a bell?:wink:

swanson24
05-26-2005, 04:04 PM
My mom grew up a White Sox fan from the South Side and my dad grew up a Cubs fan from the Northside (1/2 mile away from Wrigley Field). I'm glad I followed my mom's advice at the age of 7 when I asked her, "What baseball team should I root for?" Thanks for everything mom you taught me right from wrong.

nasox
05-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Hmmm....does the term "kidding" ring a bell?:wink:

Then use teal. :tealtutor:

hkychick10
05-27-2005, 12:52 AM
I grew up in a die hard Sox fan house, and I am passing it on to the next generation. My father told me that he would not even come to my wedding if I married a Cub fan, so growing up, the first question I asked a guy was, "are you a Sox or a Cub fan?" Now my kids have enjoyed going to about 20 games a year, and we go to one away game a year. My five year old daughter can even tell you every position player and where he bats in the line up!! Look for us on Sunday games in parking lot E with the huge Sox Flag flying proudly.

senorsock
05-28-2005, 04:46 PM
As a child, I was a Cub fan, worshipping Banks, Santo, Kessinger, Jenkins, Williams, Hundley, etc. I loved the day games and the way Brickhouse rooted for the Cubs. But as I grew up, I learned to put away childish things. I discovered Harry Carey, night baseball and really knowledgable fans. People who really knew the game all seemed to be Sox fans. People who liked to sit in the sun and cheer for Carmen Fanzone seemed to be Cubs fans.
Given that choice, there was no choice.
I have been a Sox fan since 1972!

Go Sox!

Daver
05-28-2005, 04:49 PM
As a child, I was a Cub fan, worshipping Banks, Santo, Kessinger, Jenkins, Williams, Hundley, etc. I loved the day games and the way Brickhouse rooted for the Cubs. But as I grew up, I learned to put away childish things. I discovered Harry Carey, night baseball and really knowledgable fans. People who really knew the game all seemed to be Sox fans. People who liked to sit in the sun and cheer for Carmen Fanzone seemed to be Cubs fans.
Given that choice, there was no choice.
I have been a Sox fan since 1972!

Go Sox!

Whoa, the return of Senorsock!

diamonddarryl
05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
My younger brother & I went to a game in July of '72 with a guy from church,
Mr. Harris. He must have wanted to party & drink with his co-worker 'cuz he left us in the left-field upper deck bleachers. I remember when Ed Herrmann's homer late in the game set off the exploding scoreboard sent chills of terror into the both of us.
If you remember Sox broadcasts in the late 60's & early 70's on channel 44, the audio was TERRIBLE! We had no idea that those fireworks could be that loud, so we just wrapped our arms around each other and held on tightly waiting for the world to end ! When we finally realized what was happening we both fell out laughing. Mr. Harris' co-workers spent the afternoon bringing us hot dogs, pizza, ice cream & popcorn. We been to Wrigley & their snacks were AWFUL- So the Sox won me over with good baseball, good food & Great memories- despite thatload of crap Jack Brickhouse was trying to sell me. Then again you can't beat fun at the old ballpark, just make sure it's the right one>

GO SOX!!!!!
The diamond