PDA

View Full Version : Morrisey Column 5/20

Dan H
05-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Rick Morrisey wrote an excellent column about the weekend series against the Cubs, saying how important the series was for both teams. He is half right. It is important for the Cubs and they need to prove they can beat someone besides the Pirates.

As much as I want the Sox to sweep the series, I think it would be a mistake for them to take this series too seriously. Guillen showed some prospective when he didn't change his rotation to get Buehrle and Garland in the series. Beating the Cubs is always great, but they shouldn't have any more importance than beating any other team. The real prize comes at the end of the season.

On the upside, it would be great for the Sox to perform well in a hostile environment. If they are to do well in the playoffs, they will have to least break even playing tough teams in their ballparks. You can build on that.

But, in the scheme of a whole season, winning bragging rights doesn't mean a whole lot. The Cubs swept the Sox last year and ending up choking their season away. There was the great sweep of 1999, but the Sox still ended up under .500 that season. It doesn't pay to put too much importance in a three game series.

Now that I have said all this, I would like the Sox to dominate the Cubs in such a way that Cub fans either drink more than they usually do, or head right for the therapist's couch.

tschneid83
05-20-2005, 07:10 AM
I dont think that this series means a thing fpr us except for bragging rights. Usually the sox are sitting around .500 (either just above or below) when we play the cubs and we need the wins to keep up with MN. This year we have no pressure. We can just go out and play good baseball like we have been doing and come away with 3 W's.

On the other hand the cubs could really use some wins and against a good team (the SOX) would help so we need to be ready to play.

GO SOX....BOOOOO CUBS

The Racehorse
05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
As much as I want the Sox to sweep the series, I think it would be a mistake for them to take this series too seriously. Guillen showed some prospective when he didn't change his rotation to get Buehrle and Garland in the series. Beating the Cubs is always great, but they shouldn't have any more importance than beating any other team. The real prize comes at the end of the season.

On the upside, it would be great for the Sox to perform well in a hostile environment. If they are to do well in the playoffs, they will have to least break even playing tough teams in their ballparks. You can build on that.

Soooo true. I've heard analysts say to the effect that Ozzie is all mouth & no brains... great to see Ozzie not letting the hype influence his decisions.

Great observation about the hostile environment. I'm not worried at all with Garcia & [especially] El Duque, but Contreras on the other hand...

... Memo to Jose Contreras: feature the fastball, spot the forkball, work inside & work fast.

Iguana775
05-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Soooo true. I've heard analysts say to the effect that Ozzie is all mouth & no brains... great to see Ozzie not letting the hype influence his decisions.

Great observation about the hostile environment. I'm not worried at all with Garcia & [especially] El Duque, but Contreras on the other hand...

... Memo to Jose Contreras: feature the fastball, spot the forkball, work inside & work fast.

Garcia is the one that i'm worried about. it just seems like he's playing catch out there and not trying to get the guy out.

tschneid83
05-20-2005, 07:31 AM

I would have to agree. I am sure AJ knows this. I am sure Don Cooper knows this and tells him. Now if we can only get Contreras to understand this...... although he has had his moments.

The Racehorse
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Garcia is the one that i'm worried about. it just seems like he's playing catch out there and not trying to get the guy out.

Yeah, Freddy exudes a laaaiiiid back exterior... must have been all that time spent on the left coast. :cool:

bluestar
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM

I'm more worried about Garcia, too. He has a history of losing his focus or going into pitching funks or whatever you want to call it. I'm hoping his last two outings were very temporary things and he will come out with some intensity today. The guy has some of the nastiest stuff I have seen when he is on his game, but when he isn't, it can get ugly.

BRDSR
05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
As much as I want the Sox to sweep the series, I think it would be a mistake for them to take this series too seriously. Guillen showed some prospective when he didn't change his rotation to get Buehrle and Garland in the series.

I was kind of bummed that Garland and Buerhle weren't going to see the Cubs, but saw somewhere that they each have an ERA above 5 against the Cubs so maybe its for the best. Garcia has faced him once and had success, and El Duque and Contreras have never faced them. I actually think the series is kind of important, not so much because of who we're playing but because all three of these pitchers have been scuffling a bit lately. Hopefully they'll all come through with a quality start this weekend.

tebman
05-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Now that I have said all this, I would like the Sox to dominate the Cubs in such a way that Cub fans either drink more than they usually do, or head right for the therapist's couch.

:thumbsup:

Goose
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I disagree with the comments stating this series does not mean more than any other game and here is why...

Other than the obvious: Beating the Cubs for bragging rights (what what that Daily Southtown billboard saying a few years back..."Sox win, Cubs Lose...What a great Day!")...The reason I think this series is terribly important is that the Sox need to get into the "Big Game" mentality. That is, can the Sox go out and win those critical games that they need in order to move to the post season. If the Twinks keep up and it boils down to a game or two at the end of the season to win the division, will the Sox come through or fold? Can they handle the play-offs? It is a mental thing. We know the Sox can win any game the start with their play, but will the pressure of the big game be too much? Case-in-point: 2000 in Seattle. We were a MUCH better team but lost the series because of mental mistakes (breakdowns). The atmosphere during the Crosstown Series is like a play-off atmosphere and the Sox need to be able to go into those games and KNOW we they can come through.

Dan H
05-20-2005, 01:23 PM
I disagree with the comments stating this series does not mean more than any other game and here is why...

Other than the obvious: Beating the Cubs for bragging rights (what what that Daily Southtown billboard saying a few years back..."Sox win, Cubs Lose...What a great Day!")...The reason I think this series is terribly important is that the Sox need to get into the "Big Game" mentality. That is, can the Sox go out and win those critical games that they need in order to move to the post season. If the Twinks keep up and it boils down to a game or two at the end of the season to win the division, will the Sox come through or fold? Can they handle the play-offs? It is a mental thing. We know the Sox can win any game the start with their play, but will the pressure of the big game be too much? Case-in-point: 2000 in Seattle. We were a MUCH better team but lost the series because of mental mistakes (breakdowns). The atmosphere during the Crosstown Series is like a play-off atmosphere and the Sox need to be able to go into those games and KNOW we they can come through.

I agree that the Sox need to perform well, especially in this type of atmsophere. I just don't think the series is as important as hyped. It is a three game series in an away park, and that is all. I think it is much more important that the Sox keep winning against the Central Division than it is to beat up on the Cubs, enjoyable as that is. In past seasons, the Sox have done very well against the Cubs and not carried that over to anything important. Getting to the World Series is the main thing. Get to the Series, and we don't have to worry about any bragging rights. Imagine this: The White Sox in the Series and the Cubbies staying home. Would anything else need to be said?

Goose
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree that the Sox need to perform well, especially in this type of atmsophere. I just don't think the series is as important as hyped. It is a three game series in an away park, and that is all. I think it is much more important that the Sox keep winning against the Central Division than it is to beat up on the Cubs, enjoyable as that is. In past seasons, the Sox have done very well against the Cubs and not carried that over to anything important. Getting to the World Series is the main thing. Get to the Series, and we don't have to worry about any bragging rights. Imagine this: The White Sox in the Series and the Cubbies staying home. Would anything else need to be said?

No one can argue that the ultimate goal is to get to the series (and win it). My argument here is that to GET to the series you have to win the pressure games, and this series contains pressure games. Honestly, I don't see this series against the Cubs as THE series to win, what I am saying is that these TYPES of series is what we have to win.

Iguana775
05-20-2005, 03:31 PM

looks like my plan worked. lol. i call him out and he does good. lets try this again.

Konerko is the one i'm worried about. he's all or nothing right now.

hopefully Paulie has an awesome game tomorrow now. lol