PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs memories at the Cell

Region Sox
05-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Worst memory was last year- the Friday game in 04. I hate Mark Prior so much that I heckled him all the way to the dugout from the bullpen. It was the Captain Morgan and Jager. Even he looked up. It was WAY out of line and the CPD said "hey buddy, it is a long game. Relax". So Gload misplays that ball early and ths Sox play like ass. Then Farnsworth comes in and the Cub fans (there were like 6 Sox fans in our whole section in the 100 level) go crazy. "It is the FARNS!" And he throws one- like 101 mph and everyone goes nuts- "for ball 1". Anyway Konerko hits that HR and I celebrate with the only other 2 Sox fans in the section. I turn around and my friend is grabbing this woman's arm- Apparently she got pissed about my celebrating and hit me over the head with a program. She got an usher who then removed her after Sox fans said I was assaulted with a program. Classic but horrible game.

Best was Valentin in 2003 in the Friday game. 500 level this time and like 10 Sox fans in a sea of blue. Intentional walking to get to Sammy who K'd. It was the greatest.

BRDSR
05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Best was Valentin in 2003 in the Friday game. 500 level this time and like 10 Sox fans in a sea of blue. Intentional walking to get to Sammy who K'd. It was the greatest.

That game was awesome. That was the first Sox/Cubs game I ever went to, sat in about row 10 of section 162. I'm forever hooked on the Sox/Cubs games from now on. I've been to 5 of the last 6 at the cell and I'm hoping to get to tomorrows game at Wrigley but I'm not sure I can swing it. I don't care if Twins/Sox means more in the standings, Sox/Cubs is where its at.

ChiSoxGirl
05-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Greatest Memory (a tie)- June 8, 2001. Game is tied at 3 and we're headed to extra innings. The Sox load 'em up in the bottom of the 10th, bringing Courtney Duncan (I think) to the mound. I'm at the game with a die hard Cub fan friend from college and we're sitting 5 rows off the field and down the left field line. Duncan pitches to Lee, who sends that ball sailing out of the ballpark and into the Sox 'pen! Comiskey Park went up for grabs that night and it was the greatest feeling in the world, especially since this was also the game when Fatso Wells took himself out of the game after like an inning! That was also the last night game of the Crosstown Series, as there were people throwing beer from the 500 level, and I believe two guys who chose to run onto the field that night.

June 27, 2003. I'm sitting in the right field corner of the upper deck enjoying a great game thus far and getting a great laugh at the expense of "Corky," as many people were walking around with signs making fun of him. It's the bottom of the 9th and the Sox are down. 6 Fingers gets the call from the right field bullpen and I just knew what was going to happen. Jose Valentin, who'd hit only his second homerun in the previous five weeks, gets a hold of one off 6 Fingers. He threw his arms up into the air and began celebrating as he headed toward first. Sox won 4-3 and the place was rockin'!

Worst Memory- June 9, 2001. Tony Graffanino is playing 3rd for a scuffling Crede. With a runner on 2nd, one of the Cubs grounds to 3rd and instead of Graffanino going for the runner, he tagged the bag, thinking it was a force. That play eventually led to the Cubs scoring a win in our place.

sox_fan_forever
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
My best memory has to be June 28, 2002. It was the first Sox-Cubs game I ever went to. Danny Wright started and was horrible. The Sox were down like 8-0 after 3 innings or something like that. It was really hot that day and I was miserable with the heat, plus the Sox losing so bad. They came back and won thanks to a bunch of timely hits. I'll never forget that day.

ChiSoxGirl
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
My best memory has to be June 28, 2002. It was the first Sox-Cubs game I ever went to. Danny Wright started and was horrible. The Sox were down like 8-0 after 3 innings or something like that. It was really hot that day and I was miserable with the heat, plus the Sox losing so bad. They came back and won thanks to a bunch of timely hits. I'll never forget that day.

I was there, too! I can't believe I forgot about that one! *smacks self on the forehead!* That was when Wood beaned Konerko in the head and then in his next at-bat, he hit a homerun, which started the awesome comeback and led us to the 13-8 win!

sox_fan_forever
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
I was there, too! I can't believe I forgot about that one! *smacks self on the forehead!* That was when Wood beaned Konerko in the head and then in his next at-bat, he hit a homerun, which started the awesome comeback and led us to the 13-8 win!

Yep! That was such an awesome game! The chants of "Paulie! Paulie!" were so loud. Complete strangers were high-fiving my little sister just because she had a "Go Sox" sign. It was so funny.

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
My best memory has to be June 28, 2002. It was the first Sox-Cubs game I ever went to. Danny Wright started and was horrible. The Sox were down like 8-0 after 3 innings or something like that. It was really hot that day and I was miserable with the heat, plus the Sox losing so bad. They came back and won thanks to a bunch of timely hits. I'll never forget that day. I was at that game and I was really thinking we could come back and we did. Back then I went to all the games.

MUsoxfan
05-20-2005, 12:23 AM

That's my fondest memory as well. I was soo pissed I went to the Skyline bar until Paulie hit his 1st HR

mikehuff
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Sosa's 2 out HR off of Foulke on 6/9/00 just killed me. That game went 14 innings and the Sox won with a Durham single bringing home Herbert Perry from 2nd. Sosa struck out 5 times.
That was the "old days." We got upper deck tickets and stook on the left field concourse for the entire game - 4 hours and 42 minutes.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-000609soxcubs.story

hsnterprize
05-20-2005, 09:24 AM
My favorite memory of the Cubs/Sox series at the Cell happened last year. I was in the press box for the Saturday game, and Shingo came out to a WWE-style intro and fan reaction. It's been talked about a LOT here, but I'll elaborate for those of you who aren't familiar with what happened...

Shingo was starting to make a name for himself, and we Sox fans were more than impressed with his stuff at that point. A new pitcher named Felix Diaz got called up from Charlotte, and faced Carlos Zambrano. Diaz won the game, and Zambrano got razzled early. Anyway, as Shingo was coming out of the bullpen, I could hear the buzz going around the stadium. Then...THE GONG!!!!!!! Once that was played, it seemed like it was a cue for the fans to rise in unison and cheer like there was no tomorrow. A video played on the center-field video screen with English and Japanese wording on it, and "Mr. Zero" was flashed all over the place. The music was LOUD, and fans were LOUDER, and I thought for a second that I was attenting WrestleMania instead of a baseball game.

Not to mention, he face Sham-ME So-So that day, and Sammy was laughing after he swung and missed at the "frisbees" Shingo was throwing. We ALL wanted to see Shingo strike out Sammy, but Sosa grounded out to Joe Crede. After the game, Diaz and catcher Sandy Alomar, Jr (his translator) answered some questions, but it was all about Shingo afterwards. I even asked him a question, and got to shake his hand in the clubhouse. He never received that kind of a response while pitching in Japan, and he was overwhelmed with awe over everything.

I've been to many Cubs/Sox games at both the Cell and Wrigley Field. The Sox won the first game I attended as a fan back in the late 90's...taking my college girlfriend (now wife) to the upper-most rows of the upper deck (hey...for $5 a seat, that's not too bad). We were also able to park for free in the Bridgeport neighborhood because her parents work for a neighborhood paper near 33rd and Halsted. We didn't like the climb to our seats, but we both liked the results...a White Sox winner!!!!!

D. TODD
05-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Greatest Memory (a tie)- June 8, 2001. Game is tied at 3 and we're headed to extra innings. The Sox load 'em up in the bottom of the 10th, bringing Courtney Duncan (I think) to the mound. I'm at the game with a die hard Cub fan friend from college and we're sitting 5 rows off the field and down the left field line. Duncan pitches to Lee, who sends that ball sailing out of the ballpark and into the Sox 'pen! Comiskey Park went up for grabs that night and it was the greatest feeling in the world, especially since this was also the game when Fatso Wells took himself out of the game after like an inning! That was also the last night game of the Crosstown Series, as there were people throwing beer from the 500 level, and I believe two guys who chose to run onto the field that night.

June 27, 2003. I'm sitting in the right field corner of the upper deck enjoying a great game thus far and getting a great laugh at the expense of "Corky," as many people were walking around with signs making fun of him. It's the bottom of the 9th and the Sox are down. 6 Fingers gets the call from the right field bullpen and I just knew what was going to happen. Jose Valentin, who'd hit only his second homerun in the previous five weeks, gets a hold of one off 6 Fingers. He threw his arms up into the air and began celebrating as he headed toward first. Sox won 4-3 and the place was rockin'!

Worst Memory- June 9, 2001. Tony Graffanino is playing 3rd for a scuffling Crede. With a runner on 2nd, one of the Cubs grounds to 3rd and instead of Graffanino going for the runner, he tagged the bag, thinking it was a force. That play eventually led to the Cubs scoring a win in our place. (June 8, 2001) I was lucky enough to be in the left center Field bleachers for C.Lee's walk-off grand slam.(June 9, 2001) Graffinno also blew a easy pitch to bunt on a squeeze play that would have won that game. He was doing his best Jerry Dybzinski impersonation to that day.

FJA
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
2001: CLee's walk-off grand slam (I was sitting in left field for that)
2002: Ozuna striking out Sosa to end the game
2003: Valentin walk-off game/Sosa's first trip south since the cork incident (I was right behind him in right field for that game)

Max Power
05-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Well said. I was at that game too and I'll never forget it. When Konerko hit that home run the place went up for grabs. One of my favorite game moments ever.

jackbrohamer
05-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Worst: The 6/8/01 game (not sure of the date; it was a Friday night) where all the Cubs kept bunting on David Wells' sorry fat tail. IIRC 2 scored and the bases were loaded and nobody was out and that pathetic athlete Wells hurt his back and was sitting in a heap in the infield.

Best: Same game when C Lee hit the grand slam.

HoosierHerb
05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
June 8, 2001, I was also in the LC seats. The place definitely became a riot. I took my now ex girlfriend, who had never been to a MLB game much less one that intense. As soon as that ball landed all I remember is beer flying, high fiving and even some fights. One guy way down the row from us has a broken nose with blood gushing out everywhere. The intensity of that was amazing.