PDA

View Full Version : More of my yankmee rant

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 06:06 PM
THIS IS LUNACY !!!!!

The Yankees, World Series winners for four of the past six years, have been the overwhelming champions in making money. With the formation of the $900 million Yankee Entertainment & Sports Network, the Yankees didn't sell their local television rights this year, figuring more money could be made by marketing their own product as part of a multifaceted cable network that debuts next season. Just how much will that venture bring in? Consider that through the corporation that controls the Yankees YankeeNets, a merger of the Yankees and New Jersey Nets and Devils 40 percent of the incipient network was sold to the Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. for $340 million

doublem23
11-10-2001, 06:10 PM
What can you say? The Yankees are the ones who are killing baseballl - NOT the Expos.

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
What can you say? The Yankees are the ones who are killing baseballl - NOT the Expos.

Very, very true.

doublem23
11-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Well, I mean, think about it...

The Expos give the stars of tomorrow some needed MLB expierence before they ship them off to some contender. The Expos may suck, but they do know a thing or two about developing young talent.

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I mean, think about it...

The Expos give the stars of tomorrow some needed MLB expierence before they ship them off to some contender. The Expos may suck, but they do know a thing or two about developing young talent.

I don't have to think about it , it's been going on since King George arrived. With the exception of some players King George not only uses the expos but the rest of ml baseball to develop the players he'll eventually want.
This has been going on for a very long time, Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Dave Winfield , Mussina, et al, the list is endless.

Jerry_Manuel
11-10-2001, 06:38 PM
Paul do you dislike all the NY teams or just the Yankees?

Daver
11-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
THIS IS LUNACY !!!!!

The Yankees, World Series winners for four of the past six years, have been the overwhelming champions in making money. With the formation of the $900 million Yankee Entertainment & Sports Network, the Yankees didn't sell their local television rights this year, figuring more money could be made by marketing their own product as part of a multifaceted cable network that debuts next season. Just how much will that venture bring in? Consider that through the corporation that controls the Yankees YankeeNets, a merger of the Yankees and New Jersey Nets and Devils 40 percent of the incipient network was sold to the Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. for $340 million

So what your saying is that George Steinbrenner is wrong for being an astute businessman?

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Paul do you dislike all the NY teams or just the Yankees?

Just the yankmees, indifferent to other NYC teams.

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by daver

So what your saying is that George Steinbrenner is wrong for being an astute businessman?

Not really, if he justs pockets the money thats fine, but to have a payroll which this year will probably be > $130 mil is insane. His ego is slowly killing baseball, many fans of al teams in my area no longer follow baseball. Making money is the name of the "game" in life but, George is going to kill the golden goose.

Daver
11-10-2001, 07:03 PM

Not really, if he justs pockets the money thats fine, but to have a payroll which this year will probably be > $130 mil is insane. His ego is slowly killing baseball, many fans of al teams in my area no longer follow baseball. Making money is the name of the "game" in life but, George is going to kill the golden goose.

I think George and the rest of the owners did that when they decided to contract the league without bothering to include the MLBPA in the discussions,thinking that they could ramrod this down there their throats.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Paulwny
11-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by daver

I think George and the rest of the owners did that when they decided to contract the league without bothering to include the MLBPA in the discussions,thinking that they could ramrod this down there their throats.

But then again what the hell do I know?

I can't argue with that.
I think it's funny when many ball fans, myself included, consider a good year when the yanks don't win the ws yet, their the al champs. It's become the norm, I didn't like it in the late 50s early 60s and I sure don't like it now.

Soxheads
11-11-2001, 12:18 AM
Write a sound-off column Paulwny.

GASHWOUND
11-11-2001, 01:17 AM

I can't argue with that.
I think it's funny when many ball fans, myself included, consider a good year when the yanks don't win the ws yet, their the al champs. It's become the norm, I didn't like it in the late 50s early 60s and I sure don't like it now.

Yeah, its pretty pitaful when a victory for Sox fans is jumping for joy for the D-Backs win a WS against the Spanks. Thats how bad its gotten? I was jumping for joy when the D-Backs won, than I came back to reality, 1. It wasn't us..again and 2. The Spanks were still the AL champs for 4 straight years. But baseball can't seem to notice this is a bad thing. Why. Their idiots.