PDA

View Full Version : Interleague play vs. Cubs / National League

Irishsox1
05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Ozzie has been saying that he would rather play the Cubs only 3 times in one year. I'm in favor of it, if the Brewers were put back on the schedule. So, if the Sox played the Cubs away, then they would play the Brewers at home. Then, instead of the Brewers playing the Twins twice a year, they would play the Sox once. I'm tired of playing the Cubs twice a year, I miss the great Brewers vs. Sox rivalry.

dcb33
05-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I miss playing the Brewers as well, however, there is no way ownership will take a pass on losing 3 automatic sellouts every other year so that the Sox can play the Brew Crew.

ondafarm
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I miss playing the Brewers as well, however, there is no way ownership will take a pass on losing 3 automatic sellouts every other year so that the Sox can play the Brew Crew.

Have to admit, the three sellouts always look good on the attendance numbers. It was about the only time the upper eight rows of the UD would fill up.

I would prefer they played the Brewers for three every year.

Rocklive99
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I used to like interleague, but now I hate it, get rid of it! Like it isn't obvious that the only idiotic reason that the we play the West again and the NL Central plays the East is so everyone can live happy and see Flubs/Red Sox, boy, I'm really looking forward to the media coverage

Hendu
05-19-2005, 07:41 PM
The novelty has worn off. And interleague play is really unfair; the last couple of years we had to play the flubs, playoff contenders, while the twinkies got to play the Brew Crew.

Or imagine if you're a flubs fan this year: they have to play the best team in MLB while the Cards get to play the pathetic Royals.

I really think the whole concept needs to be re-examined by the powers that be to either make it more fair and fresh or to just dump it.

Southsider101
05-19-2005, 08:47 PM
The way the Sox are playing this year I think that interleague play will be a big distraction to Ozzie and the team. Unfortunately interleague is dictate by the networks as a gimmick for the casual fan. Watch Sportscenter during interleague -- its all about Met's-Yanks, A's-Giants, and Dodgers-Angels. On a national level, the Sox-sCrubs series just doesn't get the props it deserves.

At the same time I've been in SoCal during interleague and there is just no comparison with the intensity there is in Chicago with the Sox-sCrubs series. :gulp:

jehosaphat
05-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Interleague play is not fair becasue teams competing for a divisional crown don't play the same schedule. It is equivalent to runners in race that run different distances. Also, some interleague play is just silly. There is always a Astros-Tigers match-up out there, that neither Astro or Tiger fans are the least bit interested in.

That said. The Cubs-Sox series' are, well, a lot of fun. In fact, these are the most fun series all year, except for those at the end of the year (on those years when we are in contention). So, I hope they keep the 6 games forever. I'd hate to see them drop back to 3 games.

One other note, the match-up benefits the Sox botton line so it probably contributes to a better team year in and year out.

Optipessimism
05-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Fair or unfair, who cares? Isn't it about fun? What's more fun than playing the Cubs?

Besides, so yeah the Twins get the Brewers and we get the Cubs. The Brewers have a better record and have a better team so far, so why do we care? Also, a team that is good enough to make the playoffs and do some damage (the main goal) isn't going to whine and moan about playing a few games against a tougher team. There should be no excuses, especially in baseball and when dealing with the White Sox, considering that over the last few years they seem to have fared better against tougher teams than the weaker ones like Tampa Bay and Detroit.

Hendu
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Fair or unfair, who cares? Isn't it about fun? What's more fun than playing the Cubs?

Ok, it was fun about the first 3 years. It's also fun when both teams are in first and it would be extremely fun if it was in the world series. Now it's just old and a big distraction from our real goal. Playing the twinkies, BoSox, Yanks is a lot more fun and a much better test of how good our team is.

Of course, it's easy to say the fairness doesn't matter...but what if some year we lose the division by 1 game b/c we had to play a good flubs team while our competitor got to beat up on some also-ran. Making the playoffs is MUCH more fun than getting bragging rights over my co-workers.

Ah, who am I kidding? Interleague is here to stay until the games stop selling out. Guaranteed sell-outs in the Cell, Oakland & Shea ar impossible for the owners to give up. But having to watch Freddy, JC and El Duque bat... :cower:

balke
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
I'd like to play other teams more in interleague... but if this series was gone it would be missed. I don't look forward to it or anything, but when the series is actually on, its makes for a great weekend.

I wanna play the Cardinals and Brewers but I guess that will never happen?

CleeFan101
05-20-2005, 01:06 AM
I think the cubs definitely have it worse than us... lol cards vs royals......But I personally enjoy interleague, you get to play and see teams you dont normally see and its different.

Also we have a better NL team than most NL teams do... because of Ozzie we are built for this.

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 02:02 AM
The Sox-cubs games are huge draws and a lot of fun. 6 games out of 162? Come on. Even if the Sox did miss the playoffs/division title by a game, blaming it on inter-league play would be ridiculous and soft. Something the cubs might do. Whether you miss the playoffs by 1 game, or 10, it all comes down to whether or not you won, not who you played. I think if a team is going to be serious about being a champion, it should feel confident in beating every team in the majors and not whining about good/bad inter-league matchups.

chaerulez
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
It was brought up on the Score last night that the Cubs play the Sox for 6 games so the Cardinals play Tampa for 3 and KC for 3. I'll imagine if they lose the division or wild card by 6 games there's going to be some crying by them (although I don't think it'll be even close to 6 games).

Hendu
05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
not whining about good/bad inter-league matchups.

That Marlins / D-Rays series sure is exciting :D:

The match-up thing is kind of a secondary reason I'm not a huge fan of interleague. I just like having a balanced schedule, which would probably require dropping the Flubs-Sox series to 3 games (not happening). It's only 6 games, not like we have the schedule the Expos had the past few years, or the Marlins and Flubs last year (22 games in 20 days to end the season b/c of rain-outs)

The main reason though is that the novelty is wearing off and it feels contrived. I'm obviously still in the minority on this but maybe I won't be forever. The series gives a Cubune-owned media outlet, without fail, to find some "Sox" fan (usually an 11-year-old) who says they'd rather beat the Flubs than win the World Series just to show how all Sox fans are more obsessed with the Flubs than their own team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Cardinals play Tampa for 3 and KC for 3.

I like interleague play when the matchups are interesting, but the above demonstraes the utterly asinine aspects of it. If anything, the Royals and Cardinals should play six; they are natural geographic rivals, just as Tampa and Florida are.

Cubs-Sox, Yankees-Mets, A's-Giants, Dodgers-Angels, Astros-Rangers, Marlins-Rays, Nats-Orioles, Reds-Indians, Cardinals-Royals are legitimate interleague geographic rivalries. I'm willing to bet interest in interleague play is highest among those teams' fans. What's weird are these "manufactured" rivalries between teams that don't have interleague neighbors.

But Mariners-Padres? :?:

Even take the Brewers-Twins. Who's to say the Brewers aren't a better natural rival of the White Sox or even the Tigers? Who's Toronto's natural NL rival? Boston's? Detroit's? Atlanta's AL rival? Colorado's? Arizona's? Then you have a state (Pennsylvania) where both teams are in the same league.

All the more reason to adopt PHG's Commissioners' Cup plan....

balke
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I like interleague play when the matchups are interesting, but the above demonstraes the utterly asinine aspects of it. If anything, the Royals and Cardinals should play six; they are natural geographic rivals, just as Tampa and Florida are.

Cubs-Sox, Yankees-Mets, A's-Giants, Dodgers-Angels, Astros-Rangers, Marlins-Rays, Nats-Orioles, Reds-Indians, Cardinals-Royals are legitimate interleague geographic rivalries. I'm willing to bet interest in interleague play is highest among those teams' fans. What's weird are these "manufactured" rivalries between teams that don't have interleague neighbors.

But Mariners-Padres? :?:

Even take the Brewers-Twins. Who's to say the Brewers aren't a better natural rival of the White Sox or even the Tigers? Who's Toronto's natural NL rival? Boston's? Detroit's? Atlanta's AL rival? Colorado's? Arizona's? Then you have a state (Pennsylvania) where both teams are in the same league.

All the more reason to adopt PHG's Commissioners' Cup plan....

Yeah, not everyone can have a rivalry in the NL, but there are a bunch that do. I think they could definitely set up the interleague play better, but there's a lot of teams that make a lot of revenue off of the rivalries that are in place. I'm sure interleague helps people without rivalries as well, whenever a good national league team comes to town.

The funniest thing about this sox cubs rivalry right now to me, Cubs fans double talking that the Sox aren't THAT good... but then they turn around and whine about having to play a team of our calibur due to interleague play, while the Cards play the Royals and Blue Jays. This'll be a great series, I hope Pods steals home. jk.

LET'S GO SOX!

Chez
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
While it creates an even greater unbalanced schedule, I love interleague play. I try to attend a game against each NL opponent if nothing else than for the sheer novelty of the experience. It was exciting to see Barry Bonds and the Giants at the Cell a couple of years ago, the Braves and Phillies last season and I'm looking forward to the Dodgers series this year.

Dan H
05-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I have never been a fan of interleague play. Yes, the Sox-Cubs are usually well played, intense games. But the beauty of baseball is that the leagues didn't play each other until the World Series. For me, the novelty wore off long time ago. And I can only get so worked up over the Crosstown games. Getting to the Series is the only interleague play I truly want to see.