PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Boyer - Q&A Session Just Ended

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Thank you WSI friends for the questions. At a local Chamber of Commerce outing that just ended, Brooks mentioned WSI about 20 or more times in his answers. He referred to WSI as the home of the most passionate White Sox fans in Chicago. He mentioned that most of the staff frequent WSI and that they've received great ideas from WSI. It was unreal. I mentioned bringing back McCuddy's as a joint venture between the Sox and McCuddy family and making amends with the Caray family. That - Brooks inferred - will likely never happen. Too bad. I suggested that when the cubs come to the Cell next month that they post "HERE'S WHERE THIS TRADITION STARTED" and then play Harry Caray signing "root root root for the Whiiiiiite Sox". The stadium would be in a frenzy. I also thought it would make a great commercial. McCuddys? Brooks - incredibly - had never heard of McCuddys and wanted his friends at WSI to fill him in on the history and give ideas what the Sox should do. What a PR bonanza to announce a joint venture to build a quaint McCuddys on site for pre- and post-game fun. Anyhow, Brooks was a walking-talking advocate for all things WSI. We should all send him a thank you note. I don't have his email.

mjharrison72
05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Thank you WSI friends for the questions. At a local Chamber of Commerce outing that just ended, Brooks mentioned WSI about 20 or more times in his answers. He referred to WSI as the home of the most passionate White Sox fans in Chicago. He mentioned that most of the staff frequent WSI and that they've received great ideas from WSI. It was unreal. I mentioned bringing back McCuddy's as a joint venture between the Sox and McCuddy family and making amends with the Caray family. That - Brooks inferred - will likely never happen. Too bad. I suggested that when the cubs come to the Cell next month that they post "HERE'S WHERE THIS TRADITION STARTED" and then play Harry Caray signing "root root root for the Whiiiiiite Sox". The stadium would be in a frenzy. I also thought it would make a great commercial. McCuddys? Brooks - incredibly - had never heard of McCuddys and wanted his friends at WSI to fill him in on the history and give ideas what the Sox should do. What a PR bonanza to announce a joint venture to build a quaint McCuddys on site for pre- and post-game fun. Anyhow, Brooks was a walking-talking advocate for all things WSI. We should all send him a thank you note. I don't have his email.
You mean you post on WSI and you don't have Brooks' e-mail address?

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I've never heard of McCuddy's until a couple of days ago when people were posting about it on this board. Can someone fill me in? I'm 27, should I know this or am I too young?

ozzman
05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
you should know this. i'm 25 and have known about mccuddys for a long time :smile:

tebman
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I've never heard of McCuddy's until a couple of days ago when people were posting about it on this board. Can someone fill me in? I'm 27, should I know this or am I too young?

Go to this page (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Destruction.htm)where it has a picture of McCuddy's being torn down and describes it in the caption. It was a bar on 35th street directly across from Original Comiskey and had been there in one form or another for over 50 years.

A great story is that (way back) when the Yankees were in town, Babe Ruth would sneak out of the clubhouse between innings and run across the street in his spikes to grab a beer and a hot dog.

ewokpelts
05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
It's not that big of a deal. Would you rather have mccuddy's, or the tampa bay white sox?

Gene

p.s. the mccuddy family were compensated quite nicely when the state bought thier land.

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
A great story is that (way back) when the Yankees were in town, Babe Ruth would sneak out of the clubhouse between innings and run across the street in his spikes to grab a beer and a hot dog.
Yeah, I remember hearing about Ruth doing that, but I never hear of the bar name before.

SoxEd
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
You mean you post on WSI and you don't have Brooks' e-mail address?

Man, I love your sig - it made me laugh out loud.

Good Work Fella!

skobabe8
05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I can remember walking by McCuddys when I was a young buck and I'm 25 now.

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I've seen Brokks' email address but don't have it. Tebman, could you forward that information to Brooks? Thanks.

McCuddys was a bar across the street from the right field corner of the old Comiskey Park. The interior, though old, had memorabilia that's probably worth over $200,000 or more. Autographed pictures of Ruth, Gehrig and many Sox legends. It was the place to meet friends before and after the game. When the Sox won the division in '83 many of the players went to McCuddys and partied with us late into the morning. It was awesome. When it was torn down to build the Cell, the then Governor Thompson said McCuddy's would be re-built and better than ever. We're still waiting. A brand new McCuddy's would be a statement to the 35-75 year old [like me] who want to find a place to drink a beer, talk about the game and wait for traffic to die down before hitting the road. By the way, it would make a fortune. Maybe JR and crew can run with the positive momentum and hit a PR grandslam. They know the family that purchased the McCuddy memorabilia and name.

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Can you give us any more details? Any new ideas they are working on? Additional ballpark renovations or at least some extra detail to the park? What else did he talk about?

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
SoxBoy, I take it you didnt ask him about bricks in the bullpens? That idea was posted in your thread asking for questions, and I love it.

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
SoxBoy, I take it you didnt ask him about bricks in the bullpens? That idea was posted in your thread asking for questions, and I love it.

You love the idea or that he didn't ask about it?:?:

tebman
05-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I've seen Brokks' email address but don't have it. Tebman, could you forward that information to Brooks? Thanks.

Consider it done. I just sent it off. If I get a response I'll let you know.

Now let's sweep this weekend!

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
The place was packed and others had questions. I regretably didn't get the chance to ask that question. Sorry. New commercials coming out this Monday. Shingo-Iguchi are the stars. There's one coming out with Dustin Hermanson. He said AJP is the "best catcher in the AL". He did say the last renovation would be green seats throughout the park. Brooks - it sppears - takes these ideas to the higher ups. I did fail to mention that he stated KW does browse WSI. By the way, I would rather the Chicago White Sox than a bar [McCuddys]. But wouldn't it be nice to go to a bar before and after a game, replete with White Sox memorabilia with the name that [for me at least] represents one of the many slights true Sox fans like myself have been subjected to since JR took over. Does anyone here remember "We're going to bring class to this organization?" I do. Rebuilding a smaller version of McCuddys in a JV with the family would be a financial and PR grand slam. We can't all join the stadium club. Yes the McCuddys were paid fair market value. How much would there property be worth if the Sox built the Armour Square Stadium and MCuddys was preserved? Think about that.

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Well it's too bad the renovations are over. I think "bricking" the bullpens really would have added a nice touch. Which, I honestly think, is desparately needed. But, the park will look awesome with all green seats.:smile:

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Well it's too bad the renovations are over. I think "bricking" the bullpens really would have added a nice touch. Which, I honestly think, is desparately needed. But, the park will look awesome with all green seats.:smile:
Yeah. I was saying before that I liked the idea, not that he didnt ask about it.:cool:
Anyway, I think that would greatly improve the look of the park. Brooks checks out WSI, and Im sure people have emailed him about it, so maybe he will consider it. I dont know if he actually has a big impact on renovations, or who makes the decisions, but Im sure he relays good ideas to others. Bricking the bullpen areas wouldnt be that expensive- no more than a couple thousand dollars. It would go a long way to make the already great park look better (especially on TV), and it would cost virtually nothing compared to recent renovations. I think the Sox might do it in the next couple of years. Also, in a couple of years, after our 3rd consecutive world series title causes an extremely high demand for tickets, they could build the home run porch in RF.

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah. I was saying before that I liked the idea, not that he didnt ask about it.:cool:
Anyway, I think that would greatly improve the look of the park. Brooks checks out WSI, and Im sure people have emailed him about it, so maybe he will consider it. I dont know if he actually has a big impact on renovations, or who makes the decisions, but Im sure he relays good ideas to others. Bricking the bullpen areas wouldnt be that expensive- no more than a couple thousand dollars. It would go a long way to make the already great park look better (especially on TV), and it would cost virtually nothing compared to recent renovations. I think the Sox might do it in the next couple of years. Also, in a couple of years, after our 3rd consecutive world series title causes an extremely high demand for tickets, they could build the home run porch in RF.

:wink:

jackbrohamer
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Sheesh, no love for Danny O'Brien's on this site??? :dunno:

jackbrohamer
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM

True story: At a Cubs game a few years ago (I know; out-of-town clients wanted to go) a Scrub fan behind us tells his friends that Babe Ruth used to go to Murphy's Bleachers between innings at the Urinal for a beer and hot dog. Absolutely clueless over the facts that (a) the Babe & Cubs played in different leagues and (b) that dump Murphy's wasn't there until the 1980s and the Bambino wasn't still playing....

Yet another Wrigley Tradition.

DumpJerry
05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
True story: At a Cubs game a few years ago (I know; out-of-town clients wanted to go) a Scrub fan behind us tells his friends that Babe Ruth used to go to Murphy's Bleachers between innings at the Urinal for a beer and hot dog. Absolutely clueless over the facts that (a) the Babe & Cubs played in different leagues and (b) that dump Murphy's wasn't there until the 1980s and the Bambino wasn't still playing....

Sounds like you need to copy this posting for the one in What's the Score? in the thread of stupid quotes from Flub fans.

So.....BB and KW monitor us? I was wondering about those "guests" I always see on here with note pads. lol I hope THEY LOOK AT THE LAST LINE IN MY SIG!:D:

Chisox353014
05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I suggested that when the cubs come to the Cell next month that they post "HERE'S WHERE THIS TRADITION STARTED" and then play Harry Caray signing "root root root for the Whiiiiiite Sox". The stadium would be in a frenzy. I also thought it would make a great commercial.

I love this idea! The looks on the Flubbie fans' faces when that clip is played would be absolutely priceless..."Wha, what? But I thought Harry was a Cub fan and a Bud man!"

Do it, Brooks, do it! :bandance:

paciorek1983
05-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I love this idea! The looks on the Flubbie fans' faces when that clip is played would be absolutely priceless..."Wha, what? But I thought Harry was a Cub fan and a Bud man!"

Do it, Brooks, do it! :bandance:

I'd love to see that too!!!!!!!! C'mon Brooks--do it!!!!:bandance: :dtroll: :gulp:

jortafan
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM

You're lucky that "fan" didn't think that the Babe used to stop off at the McDonalds' for a Big Mac or two between innings.

Parrothead
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
p.s. the mccuddy family were compensated quite nicely when the state bought thier land.

Yes they were but they and we were also told that they would be relocated across the street, which they were not. They were offered a place a few blocks away.

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
With respect to Harry Caray, Brooks made it clear that the Sox brass were not interested in repairing the relationship with the Caray family. I told him too bad for 3 reasons: 1) Many of us still have fond memories of Harry and Jimmy from our childhood; 2) it would dilute the BS cub "mystique" and the Harry Caray worship; and 3) Harry's passed away. It's not like he's going to come back and say "&%$# you." I can't tell you how many times I've had to remind these useless idiots on the north side that "take me out to the ballgame" started with the Sox. It would make a powerful statement as a commercial or just an in-your-face when they come to our park. The place would be up for grabs.

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Yes they were but they and we were also told that they would be relocated across the street, which they were not. They were offered a place a few blocks away.
I may be off on this, but at this point it appears obvious that within 10 years there will be a lot of changes to Brigdeport, including bars and businesses around the park and a Metra stop on 35th. The area is developing, new expensive houses have been built, and it has become apparent that the economic affects of businesses around the park benefit the team also. While the area around the Cell will never be like Wrigleyville (thank God) I believe there will be several new developments there. If the McCuddy family still has the money to put up, they might want to look into rebuilding in the next few years.

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I too frequented O'Briens; especially when McCuddys was overflowing. It too had a great atmosphere. A re-built McCuddys would be a huge money maker for the Sox and the family that owns the rights to the bar and the memorabilia. It's the "little things" that fans like I remember that frankly still rubs me the wrong way. I still remember as a kid the cubune and cub fans ridiculing Harry Caray as the lead bartender of the world's largest outdoor saloon. To see him deified at the Urinal of all places turns my stomach. God bless Lee Elia.

samram
05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
With respect to Harry Caray, Brooks made it clear that the Sox brass were not interested in repairing the relationship with the Caray family. I told him too bad for 3 reasons: 1) Many of us still have fond memories of Harry and Jimmy from our childhood; 2) it would dilute the BS cub "mystique" and the Harry Caray worship; and 3) Harry's passed away. It's not like he's going to come back and say "&%$# you." I can't tell you how many times I've had to remind these useless idiots on the north side that "take me out to the ballgame" started with the Sox. It would make a powerful statement as a commercial or just an in-your-face when they come to our park. The place would be up for grabs.

I say good on Brooks and the Sox. It's 2005. It's time to stop worrying about a dead guy who left the team (however it happened) twenty some-odd years ago. I think it's silly when the Cubs have these semi-celebs poorly 'sing' Take Me Out to the Ballgame in remembrance of Harry- I don't want to see the Sox start emulating that in any way, shape, or form.

cheeses_h_rice
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM

Hahaha, that's excellent. Completely excellent, as a matter of fact -- it combines a mindboggling disregard for baseball history, plus an utter and total lack of common sense (as if Murphy's looks anywhere near old enough to have been around in the '20s and '30s).

I'm surprised he didn't say something about the Babe's predilection for Yum Yum Donuts, too.

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 07:12 PM
In response to Samram, if you don't think the "dead guy" leaving and heading north played a role in how we're [I hate to admit] trailing badly in popularity in Chicago, you're living in lala land. You and I [and everyone on this site] know the cubs' bs about mystique and tradition is garbage. You attack the lies. A winning team coupled with whittling away at the opposition's [that's what they are] "traditions" - in my view - will help us in taking back this town. Sorry, I can't ignore it. These are the same blowhards who referred to the "dead guy" as a drunk, idiot and moron. Now he's their saint? cub fans hate being reminded of the truth.

skobabe8
05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Every game I go to I cant but help to think what the bullpens would look like bricked over. Not just that, but I propose the majority of the concrete around the ballpark, including around the 300 level and the press box. You know, where it says "Welcome to U.S. Cellular Field." Brick all of it. And paint this:

"Welcome To...
The South Side"

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 07:16 PM
One last thing about Brooks, he mentioned attacking "perceptions." For example, Bridgeport is a terrible neighborhood. He mentioned that the crime rate is higher in East Lakeview [Urinalville] than in Bridgeport.Another misperception is "take me out to the ballgame is a cub tradition". Ergo, make amends with the Caray family and then stick it in their faces with commercials. It's just my opinion.

samram
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
In response to Samram, if you don't think the "dead guy" leaving and heading north played a role in how we're [I hate to admit] trailing badly in popularity in Chicago, you're living in lala land. You and I [and everyone on this site] know the cubs' bs about mystique and tradition is garbage. You attack the lies. A winning team coupled with whittling away at the opposition's [that's what they are] "traditions" - in my view - will help us in taking back this town. Sorry, I can't ignore it. These are the same blowhards who referred to the "dead guy" as a drunk, idiot and moron. Now he's their saint? cub fans hate being reminded of the truth.

Actually, I think the inability to let it go has played a large part in the Sox trailing in popularity. If anyone decided to become a fan of the other team because they liked the announcer, screw them, they can have them. If you really think about it, who would decide to switch from a Cubs fan to a Sox fan because they found out 'the truth' about Harry? Very, very few, if any. Hell, it seems like Hangar is yelling it from the rooftops in Wrigleyville and it's not changing any minds. Educational? Yes. Influential? Not really. I think a forward-looking approach is the best one. Brooks and the kids should, and seem to, be concentrating on bringing in families with young kids and trying to be loyalty in those kids.

GregoryEtc
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I mentioned bringing back McCuddy's as a joint venture between the Sox and McCuddy family...

I have to tell you, I love this idea. But even if the Sox couldn't use the McCuddy name, it got me thinking about over in Detroit where directly across from Comerica Park where the Tigers play (The Tigers are owned by Mike Ilich) is the Hockeytown Cafe... a huge sports bar/restaurant/memorabilia shop/etc. open year round but owned by and centralized around the Detroit Red Wings (ALSO owned by Mike Ilich!).

What if JR were to open a year round sports bar near (OR EVEN CONNECTED TO) the Cell centered around BOTH of his teams. You would then have a place for not only Sox fans but also fans of ALL the other Chicago teams. This would pull in the tweener undecided baseball fans to a place to be while watching the Bears or Bulls on giant big screens. I'm talking about a MASSIVE sports bar. I'm talking bigger than the ESPNZone. It would satisfy the people looking for a place to go after the game and it would be open year round so it could generate revenue for the Sox all year. They could put it in the parking lot in right field with a top floor restaurant overlooking the field.

So I guess since Brooks reads WSI, we don't have to email him anymore. :) HI BROOKS!

zach074
05-19-2005, 09:44 PM

Wow im 16 and i have known about it for a while.:?:

SoxBoy14
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Samram, you're probably right. I, like Hangar, hate those guys.

CPditka
05-20-2005, 12:51 AM
First things first, the large U.S. Cellular Sign facing lots B & C (white background) MUST BE CLEANED. It looks horrible, it is decrepid, and stained. Every Sox newcomer I bring to the games says this. It makes me wanna park somewhere else so we dont have to look at it. Just gross. All it would take would be a power washer. Or a more permanent sign would really make much much more cents, cough, sense.

WhiteSox16K
05-20-2005, 02:28 AM
I have to tell you, I love this idea. But even if the Sox couldn't use the McCuddy name, it got me thinking about over in Detroit where directly across from Comerica Park where the Tigers play (The Tigers are owned by Mike Ilich) is the Hockeytown Cafe... a huge sports bar/restaurant/memorabilia shop/etc. open year round but owned by and centralized around the Detroit Red Wings (ALSO owned by Mike Ilich!).

What if JR were to open a year round sports bar near (OR EVEN CONNECTED TO) the Cell centered around BOTH of his teams. You would then have a place for not only Sox fans but also fans of ALL the other Chicago teams. This would pull in the tweener undecided baseball fans to a place to be while watching the Bears or Bulls on giant big screens. I'm talking about a MASSIVE sports bar. I'm talking bigger than the ESPNZone. It would satisfy the people looking for a place to go after the game and it would be open year round so it could generate revenue for the Sox all year. They could put it in the parking lot in right field with a top floor restaurant overlooking the field.

So I guess since Brooks reads WSI, we don't have to email him anymore. HI BROOKS!

I definitely hate to look like I'm against this, because I actually love the idea of a large sports bar/restaurant around or connected to The Cell, but I have two examples of situations where it has been done. Both are different situations, but can shed a little light of what my thoughts are on that area and the idea of a sports bar/restaurant by The Cell.

1) Detroit has the Hockeytown cafe, but they also have Ford Field behind Comerica and those both generate traffic in the area year round. Add that to the fact that the cafe is on the edge of downtown Detroit and that creates an easily appealing restaurant for people after games and events at Comerica or Ford Field year round.

2) In Arizona they have the Friday's Restaurant connected to Bank One Ballpark. This overlooks the field and is open year round with service through games for some sort of price (not sure of the price because I was only in there for batting practice of a game). The restaurant was less then half full and the service lacked (the game was also Randy Johnson's last home start before the trade deadline last year so it was a decent size crowd on hand). Lastly, Bank One is a short walk from downtown Phoenix and even though the city was half-dead it probably generates more people with activities; no one went to this place.

My problems are:
The Cell isn't in an area that will generate activity year round. This makes it a huge risk for anyone to take the chance of putting a large restaurant/sports bar in the area. If you connect it to the stadium it's much less of a risk, but that takes another large remodeling project and money. I don't see people driving to the area to eat in the middle of December or January. In Detroit the Lions have games or they have concerts or the rare Kentucky/MSU type b-ball game at Ford Field. In Arizona, the weather is nice and people go down there for the winter. Also, Bank One is used for several things other then baseball games because it can. I just can't imagine the Bridgeport ESPNZone (using ESPNZone for example) being a "prime" stop in the middle of winter.

I could see a small bar (like I imagine McCuddy's was) or a collection or small bars/restaurants creating a buzz and generating people before or after games, but nothing except The Cell is pretty much the only thing bringing people to the area and in my opinion, a big or even small place would have trouble getting people there in the off season.

wdelaney72
05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I definitely hate to look like I'm against this, because I actually love the idea of a large sports bar/restaurant around or connected to The Cell, but I have two examples of situations where it has been done. Both are different situations, but can shed a little light of what my thoughts are on that area and the idea of a sports bar/restaurant by The Cell.

1) Detroit has the Hockeytown cafe, but they also have Ford Field behind Comerica and those both generate traffic in the area year round. Add that to the fact that the cafe is on the edge of downtown Detroit and that creates an easily appealing restaurant for people after games and events at Comerica or Ford Field year round.

2) In Arizona they have the Friday's Restaurant connected to Bank One Ballpark. This overlooks the field and is open year round with service through games for some sort of price (not sure of the price because I was only in there for batting practice of a game). The restaurant was less then half full and the service lacked (the game was also Randy Johnson's last home start before the trade deadline last year so it was a decent size crowd on hand). Lastly, Bank One is a short walk from downtown Phoenix and even though the city was half-dead it probably generates more people with activities; no one went to this place.

My problems are:
The Cell isn't in an area that will generate activity year round. This makes it a huge risk for anyone to take the chance of putting a large restaurant/sports bar in the area. If you connect it to the stadium it's much less of a risk, but that takes another large remodeling project and money. I don't see people driving to the area to eat in the middle of December or January. In Detroit the Lions have games or they have concerts or the rare Kentucky/MSU type b-ball game at Ford Field. In Arizona, the weather is nice and people go down there for the winter. Also, Bank One is used for several things other then baseball games because it can. I just can't imagine the Bridgeport ESPNZone (using ESPNZone for example) being a "prime" stop in the middle of winter.

I could see a small bar (like I imagine McCuddy's was) or a collection or small bars/restaurants creating a buzz and generating people before or after games, but nothing except The Cell is pretty much the only thing bringing people to the area and in my opinion, a big or even small place would have trouble getting people there in the off season.

Iv'e been there. it is LITERALLY across the street from the main Comerica park entrance. I agree, it is a great bar.

Church Turtle
05-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Actually, I think the inability to let it go has played a large part in the Sox trailing in popularity. If anyone decided to become a fan of the other team because they liked the announcer... Brooks and the kids should, and seem to, be concentrating on bringing in families with young kids and trying to be loyalty in those kids.

I live in West Central Illinois. I know long-time baseball fans who don't think of Harry as a SOX or scrubs announcer. He worked for a verrrrrry long time in St. Louis. In fact, that's where he was from. I'm with Samram on this. Any kind of patch-up/ whatever you want to call it, between our SOX and the Caray family really needs to be initiated by the Caray family, or it'll just appear that our team is worried about getting credit for something that is now part of the north siders' tradition. Let 'em have it. We don't want that pathetic line-up of semi-celebs taking the spot-light away from what really matters... our winning team! When your team doesn't win, you need Mama Cass' cousin Gertrude from the third season of Survivor to come out and chortle her way through the song so the crowd will have something to remember the day by. :tongue:

Church Turtle
05-20-2005, 11:13 AM
or a collection or small bars/restaurants creating a buzz and generating people before or after games

I prefer the idea of several smaller places. And why do they ALL have to be bars? After all, the club is reaching out to families. If there were some smaller places close to the park, some of them could be family-friendly. My parents took me to lots of places when I was a kid, but never to a bar.

wdelaney72
05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I could care less about Harry Caray and his family. I'm old enough (barely) to remember Harry and Jimmy and Harry moving up north. I just really don't care. He's dead, they love him on the north side, hooray for them.

The only way to truly steal the thunder from the other team is to win the world series. Broadcasters, bars, media coverage... it all pales in comparison to winning.

Tekijawa
05-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Why don't a bunch of us buy a keg of Falstaff, rent a Ryder truck and go out with some welding torches and uproot the Harry Carry statue outside Wrigley. Plop it in the back of the truck and drop it off in front of the Offices of Comiskey... It would be like reliving the old highschool homecomming prank days! Then we could spray paint across the statue "Back home where he belongs"... THAT would open the eyes of those Cubs fans and the media!!!

SoxBoy14
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
I appreciate the "leave it be" feeling on Harry Caray. I know from experience how - to the bandwagon cub fans ; which is the majority I might add - when I bring up the fact that the 7th inning stretch singing and curtain calls all started in 1977 at Comiskey Park it stops them in their tracks. It's a reminder of how phony they truly are. Finally, in my view this ownership group trampled all over the true fans when they bought the team and with some of their subsequent conduct. ["bringing class to this team", cutting a HOF catcher in Cleveland [Fisk], white flag trade, '94 strike, "we're moving to Tampa" and then ignoring architects who wanted to build a stadium for the ages and instead built a functional park that's been retrofitted nicely but at a stiff price.] Making amends with Caray's family is a PR coup [just like when they made amends with Carlton Fisk] and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the dynamics of Chicago baseball fans. That's just my opinion.

hawkjt
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Anyone been to Coors field lately? I was there a couple of years after it opened in what was a wharehouse district and went to a sports bar in the stadium that was in operation in off season. It overlooked the field and seemed reasonably busy for a March weekday. But I noted that there were several large beer-hall style brewpubs on the block that were obviously built when the stadium was going up. They basically created a neighborhood out of nothing.

I know the rockies were drawing big in the first five years or so and I imagine these places were hopping pre and post game. Now I wonder what they are like with the bloom off the rockies.

I really think the series of smaller bars is the way to go- at least one or two with a resturant or two. I think the sox could do alright with a piece of the action.

This was why I sooo wanted the Bears to build next to Soxpark to create a year round synergy that would have helped the Sox tremendously. Too bad that politics took over.

I agree it is only a matter of time that that whole area is fashionable with its proximaty to the Loop. Free markets rules. Look at the area just west of the Soldier. That is creeping south pretty quickly.

Sxy Mofo
05-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyone been to Coors field lately? I was there a couple of years after it opened in what was a wharehouse district and went to a sports bar in the stadium that was in operation in off season. It overlooked the field and seemed reasonably busy for a March weekday. But I noted that there were several large beer-hall style brewpubs on the block that were obviously built when the stadium was going up. They basically created a neighborhood out of nothing.

I know the rockies were drawing big in the first five years or so and I imagine these places were hopping pre and post game. Now I wonder what they are like with the bloom off the rockies.

I really think the series of smaller bars is the way to go- at least one or two with a resturant or two. I think the sox could do alright with a piece of the action.

This was why I sooo wanted the Bears to build next to Soxpark to create a year round synergy that would have helped the Sox tremendously. Too bad that politics took over.

I agree it is only a matter of time that that whole area is fashionable with its proximaty to the Loop. Free markets rules. Look at the area just west of the Soldier. That is creeping south pretty quickly.

I'm actually right in Denver. (A few blocks from Coors field as we speak). It really improved the area around the stadium. Now that whole area is a mass of clubs/bars/pubs/sports bars.

I was actually snowed out of a game earlier this year. however was able to trade that ticket i got for free for one for the Sox series (as noted in my signature).

The rockies suck, but draw because people out here have a fairly high average income (it's damn expensive to live here) and like to party. Damn people like to party.

Coors is a lot closer to "downtown" than the cell is though. Where the bars and what not open before, coors just expanded the bar area. The cell would have to start from scratch

samram
05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Making amends with Caray's family is a PR coup [just like when they made amends with Carlton Fisk] and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the dynamics of Chicago baseball fans. That's just my opinion.

Yeah, none of us get it. What I don't understand is that, somehow, your love of the Sox would be stronger due to their making amends with the family of a dead guy who hasn't been with the organization for almost 25 years. All I care about is the 2005 Sox, not the 1982 Sox or their announcers. All this other stuff is peripheral and not very much relevant to the goal of winning the World Series- which is the real PR coup.

wdelaney72
05-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I fully understand the PR problems caused by this ownership. For me, the incident with Harry Caray ranks WAY down on the list. I just could care less. As far as bars around the park are concerned, it sounds like a nice idea, however, I just assume hang out in the parking lot after a game. It's cheaper and with the right equipment, could be A LOT more comfortable, but i guess that doesn't do much for those riding the L.

kevingrt
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
I fully understand the PR problems caused by this ownership. For me, the incident with Harry Caray ranks WAY down on the list. I just could care less. As far as bars around the park are concerned, it sounds like a nice idea, however, I just assume hang out in the parking lot after a game. It's cheaper and with the right equipment, could be A LOT more comfortable, but i guess that doesn't do much for those riding the L.

Same if we lost fans because of Carey those fans we lost are some pretty wacked out people.

SoxBoy14
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Samram, you actually don't get it - unless your a Reinsdorf apologist. Did it mean nothing that they dumped Fisk in Cleveland? The Sox must have thought it hurt them in the PR world or they wouldn't have made public amends with him. I'd love the Sox if they were owned by Attila the Hun. But making amends [like they did with Fisk] is the smart move.

SoxBoy14
05-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Kevingrt, we didn't lose fans because of Caray, we lost them because of how he [like Carlton Fisk] was treated. When the Sox sucked in the '70s [with the exception of the '77 hitmen] Harry Caray was the breath of fresh air and made the place electric. Reinsdorf's PR blunders are legendary. If they didn't hurt the Sox at the Gate they wouldn't have made amends with Fisk. This would be the right thing to do and a PR bonanza for the Sox. This is entertainment folks.

kevingrt
05-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey Kevingrt, we didn't lose fans because of Caray, we lost them because of how he [like Carlton Fisk] was treated. When the Sox sucked in the '70s [with the exception of the '77 hitmen] Harry Caray was the breath of fresh air and made the place electric. Reinsdorf's PR blunders are legendary. If they didn't hurt the Sox at the Gate they wouldn't have made amends with Fisk. This would be the right thing to do and a PR bonanza for the Sox. This is entertainment folks.

I understand but still I am young and maybe I just don't understand how an announcer being cut from the team kill a fan base so badly. I mean even in 1991 and 1992 we had more fans then the Urinal... so did the strike kill all those fans too

samram
05-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Samram, you actually don't get it - unless your a Reinsdorf apologist. Did it mean nothing that they dumped Fisk in Cleveland? The Sox must have thought it hurt them in the PR world or they wouldn't have made public amends with him. I'd love the Sox if they were owned by Attila the Hun. But making amends [like they did with Fisk] is the smart move.

I'm not a Reinsdorf apologist. I just have this ability to get over stuff that happened many years ago. My problems with Reinsdorf are with his approach to payroll. I don't care how they treated Carlton Fisk. Pudge doesn't give a damn about me, and from what I've read, he acted like a jerk when he talked to fans- so why should I care about him?

Here's the thing: The Sox do a lot of marketing research. If they thought that making amends with the Caray family would increase attendance and revenues, they would do it. I just don't think the tangible benefit is there.

On the other hand, this 30-12 start is a real PR coup.

Norberto7
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
And paint this:

"Welcome To...
The South Side"

On an interesting (to me, at least) aside, I was looking at a map today, and U.S. Cellular is almost right dead smack in the geographic midpoint of Chicago, north-south-wise. Obviously politically and socially it's South Side, but that's just a geographical oddity.

Well it's too bad the renovations are over

Not quite. As the final stage with the White Sox' agreement with U.S. Cellular, the Joan Cusack statue will finally be erected on the corner of 35th and Shields.

Hitmen77
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
How did this become a "apologize to Caray's family" thread? Losing Harry to the Cubs did do some serious damage to the Sox ability to draw and tilted the fanbase in Chicago even more to the Cubs, BUT..... he died 7 years ago. It's ancient history at this point. Apologizing to Harry's family will do nothing to help the Sox at this point.

It makes no sense for the Sox to bring up all this negative stuff from the past now and put the spotlight back on how stupid they were for dumping Harry and sending him to the Cubs.

DumpJerry
05-20-2005, 07:00 PM
On the other hand, this 30-12 start is a real PR coup.
If I had known Brooks could have pulled this off, I would have demanded his hiring years ago!:D:

bayzbol44
05-20-2005, 08:31 PM
IF Bridgeport is being "rebuilt" wouldn't that area "demand" restaurants/bars? This "new" area, won't it generate families with "more" income??? Therefore, why not satisfy almost everyone on this thread??? Build a Harry Caray restaurant. They have good food and decent drinks. However, they can make this restaurant full of White Sox stuff. (I doubt the family would agree, but it is just an idea.)

I think people should get over the dead icon. We still have Nancy. Appreciate her. It could be worse, we could have Bonnie Hunt singing during the 7th inning.