PDA

View Full Version : Lip in the news again

maurice
05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
The S'town (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/191sd3.htm) printed his JR-bashing letter, along with several others.

DumpJerry
05-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok, how many other WSIers had their letters in the posting?

Jerko
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
I like the one from the fan that says true Sox fans don't care what the Cubs do, and then writes 2 paragraphs about Baker and the Urinal.

Mark
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I had to reach for the smelling salts after reading this:

"I took my 5- and 6-year-old sons to the game (on May 14) against the Orioles and they had an absolute blast with the Fundamentals out in left field. With me being a die-hard Cub fan it was hard to swallow, but bottom line blue seats or green seats that ballpark blows Wrigley Field away. With all the amenities (great food, easy parking-under $40, kid/fan friendly and affordable tickets) it is a much better experience bringing your kids to the Sox game."

Did I really read that or my eyes playing tricks on me?

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I had to reach for the smelling salts after reading this:

"I took my 5- and 6-year-old sons to the game (on May 14) against the Orioles and they had an absolute blast with the Fundamentals out in left field. With me being a die-hard Cub fan it was hard to swallow, but bottom line blue seats or green seats that ballpark blows Wrigley Field away. With all the amenities (great food, easy parking-under $40, kid/fan friendly and affordable tickets) it is a much better experience bringing your kids to the Sox game."

Did I really read that or my eyes playing tricks on me?
Yeah, that was an interesting letter. He started by calling Sox fans a "joke" for caring about the Cubs more than the Twins. He likely sat next to a few bad apples who cheered every time they updated the Cubs losing score. While real fans hate the Cubs, they realize that the Twins losing helps us, the Cubs losing both doesn't effect us and is inevitable. However, at least he has unbiased about the park. The Urinal has nothing on it.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2005, 01:03 AM
He likely sat next to a few bad apples who cheered every time they updated the Cubs losing score. Hey, I've cheered the posting of Cubs losing scores while at Sox games on myriad occasions. I resent being called a bad apple.

I had just finished posting in another thread about the Sox outdrawing the Cubs every year except one from 51 through 67, and then I see that Lip said just that in his letter. I didn't get it from there, I swear.

MUsoxfan
05-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Hey, I've cheered the posting of Cubs losing scores while at Sox games on myriad occasions. I resent being called a bad apple.

As do I. I can't help myself for being happy for when the Cubs lose, Brewers win and anyone else in the AL Central loses (except for the Royals who sometimes help the cause of our Sox)

TheOldRoman
05-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey, I've cheered the posting of Cubs losing scores while at Sox games on myriad occasions. I resent being called a bad apple.

No, I have myself, I didnt mean it like that. I meant that he was probably sitting next to a couple of cub-like Sox fans going on and on about how much the Cubs suck (without stating why they suck) ans saying how much they hate the Cubs. I have heard a few people say at games that they dont care about the Twins, they would rather see the Cubs lose than the Twins. That is wrong.

Flight #24
05-20-2005, 10:15 AM

I had just finished posting in another thread about the Sox outdrawing the Cubs every year except one from 51 through 67, and then I see that Lip said just that in his letter. I didn't get it from there, I swear.

True, but as Lip conveniently forgets in his letter, the Cubs outdrew the Sox for most of the decade prior to JR taking over. So for Lip to say "The Cubs have "control" of the town today for a few reasons, all of which can be laid at the feet of current ownership", it's ignoring the raw facts of the 13-year period that he pretends didn't happen.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2005, 11:59 AM
From the Sunday Sun-Times. Story by Jennifer Jones:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-jenn22.html

"The Cubs outdrew the Sox for most of the 1970s, but the margin was relatively small after 1971."

Flight...care to compare the market share the Sox had and the attendance difference BEFORE Uncle Jerry took over to now?

My comments stand, and they are valid. This has zero to do with 'liking' or 'disliking' Uncle Jerry...this has everything to do with bad business and PR disasters that has hampered this franchise.

I also enjoyed Billy Pierce's validation of some of my points in Jones' story and I can tell you from personally knowing Bill he is not an Uncle Jerry hater.

Lip

patbooyah
05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
True, but as Lip conveniently forgets in his letter, the Cubs outdrew the Sox for most of the decade prior to JR taking over. So for Lip to say "The Cubs have "control" of the town today for a few reasons, all of which can be laid at the feet of current ownership", it's ignoring the raw facts of the 13-year period that he pretends didn't happen.

i wouldn't argue with Lipbot. there's no telling what will happen.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 12:46 PM
i wouldn't argue with Lipbot. there's no telling what will happen.

Hmmm...I like RoboLip better.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-22-2005, 12:50 PM

My comments stand, and they are valid. This has zero to do with 'liking' or 'disliking' Uncle Jerry...this has everything to do with bad business and PR disasters that has hampered this franchise.

It's really more a question of context rather than blame. Reinsdorf has made PR blunders, but there isn't ONE DAMNED THING any Sox owner -- be it Reinsdorf, Veeck, Comiskey or the Man on the Moon -- could have done to prevent the Flubs from being bought by the P.R. machine that is the Cubune or a Chicago corporate giant shoving night games down the throat of Chicago's mayor and city council. The White Sox lost their monopoly on night baseball games and (arguably) balanced treatment in the media, too.

How does the Cubune sell ****ty teams and a pisshole ballpark to 3 million annually? Reinsdorf has no hand in it.

So what is so hard to understand about this, Lip? You're fighting about Reinsdorf's culpability when in the big scheme of things, he had NO HAND in the two greatest misfortunes the franchise ever encountered.

Give it up already. It's old and it's beneath you.