PDA

View Full Version : Let's explode some myths on the 2005 Sox

Flight #24
05-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Just a bit o' fodder for our good friends in the local/national media....

Myth #1: White Sox have been lucky to win as many games as they have because they don't get on base very well.
Truth: While this may have been true early on, over the past 30 days (i.e. excluding the first 2 weeks of the season), the Sox rank 4th in MLB with a .349 team OBP. I.e. they were horrendous early on and did win some lucky/well pitched games, but for the majority of the season, they've both pitched AND hit well. For good measure, they also rank 8th in MLB in runs over the past 30 days. And there's that Thomas guy coming back soon.

Myth #2: Jon Garland's pitching above his head, he's never shown the ability to perform like this.
Truth: Anyone who's watched Jon knows that he's shown flashes of this for 1-2 years now. His problem was the big inning, something that you overcome with concentration and maturity. Guess what - he's only 25, the age at which many mature. He entered the majors at age 20, so what might seem like "career-long mediocrity" is actually just learning on the job rather than in the minors. Bottom line: he's throwing strikes and working fast, kind of a RH Buehrle with better stuff.

Myth #3: Scott Podsednik's playing over his head and will regress to 2004 levels.
Truth: Most of the improvement in Scott's game is in his walk rate, which has increased from 8-9% of PAs to 14-15%. That's consistent with his renewed focus on getting on base. And walk rate is generally considered something that's relatively consistent, i.e. not subject to hot streaks. Even if he bats .250, that equates to a .390 OBP which is excellent, especially given his speed.

Myth #4: The Sox record is so good because they've primarily played bad teams.
Truth: The Sox are 15-5 against teams currently at .500 or better. They're 11-8 outside the division.

Myth #5: The Sox will choke in the 2d half like they always do.
Truth: Even in 2004, the team was rolling along pretty well until losing their top 2 hitters (who conincidentally took up about 30% of team salary). That's not a "choke", that's injuries. Choking left town with Sleepy Manuel. Unless you're predicting injuries for the team this year, there's little reason to believe they'll suddenly fall off the table.

Any more?

Mickster
05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Myth #6: Cub fans are idiots.
Truth: Well, they actually are. :tongue:

davenicholson
05-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Post of the season so far! What a well-written, well thought-out, well-reasoned post. This is what one would expect from a WSI Church Elder!

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Nothing more to say than, "agreed"

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Just a bit o' fodder for our good friends in the local/national media....

Myth #2: Jon Garland's pitching above his head, he's never shown the ability to perform like this.
Truth: Anyone who's watched Jon knows that he's shown flashes of this for 1-2 years now. His problem was the big inning, something that you overcome with concentration and maturity. Guess what - he's only 25, the age at which many mature. He entered the majors at age 20, so what might seem like "career-long mediocrity" is actually just learning on the job rather than in the minors. Bottom line: he's throwing strikes and working fast, kind of a RH Buehrle with better stuff.

I was listening briefly to North this morning and one of them brought up how Sandy Koufax was bad early in his career too and yet everyone seems to forget that. Not to compare the two because we have no idea how good Garland will be the rest of his career, but it was interesting.

Baby Fisk
05-19-2005, 11:15 AM
BIGGEST MYTH EVER (as seen on other message boards): "Frank Thomas is a cancer and his brooding presence will be disruptive in the Clubhouse when he returns."

TRUTH: Does this look like a man who broods?

:hurt
"Shucks, I just want a ring and I'll do anything to help the Sox win a championship."

DumpJerry
05-19-2005, 11:16 AM
I was listening briefly to North this morning and one of them brought up how Sandy Koufax was bad early in his career too and yet everyone seems to forget that. Not to compare the two because we have no idea how good Garland will be the rest of his career, but it was interesting.
Koufax was kinda mediocre until one day he was talking with his catcher on the team bus and the catcher made a suggestion for a minor change in his technique. The rest is history. Flash forward to Tuesday's game. Second and Third, no outs and AJ gives JG an expletive-filled summation of JG's "lazy" delivery. Two K's and pop-out later, AJ and JG are heros.........:D:

Hangar18
05-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Remember some of the teams the cubs played in September of 2003?
those teams were the Brewers, Reds, Pirates, with some Mets sprinkled in there for good measure. All those teams quit in July and were running AAA teams out there down the stretch. We didnt hear about that, only that the north side corporation went on a mighty stretch ..........

When its the SOX, were beating easy teams.

SoxSpeed22
05-19-2005, 02:19 PM
...Second and Third, no outs and AJ gives JG an expletive-filled summation of JG's "lazy" delivery. Two K's and pop-out later, AJ and JG are heros.........:D:THE reason I love havin' AJ on this team. He brings force and can handle a pitching staff way better than all the other Sox catchers since Kark.

gosox83
05-19-2005, 02:51 PM
I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly did A.J. say to him???? :dunno:

tebman
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly did A.J. say to him???? :dunno:
From the Cub-Tribune, 5/18/05, by Dave van Dyck:

It was Pierzynski who made him look best.

Not only did the catcher smack a sixth-inning home run--his third in three games and fourth in the last five--but he came out for a little salty heart-to-heart when Garland had runners on second and third and a run in with no outs in the sixth, clinging to a 3-2 lead.

"I got lazy," Garland said. "A.J. came out, and I can't really say exactly what he said, but he told me I was lazy and my arm was dragging through the zone."

End of sermon. End of inning, because Garland got three outs without another run scoring, striking out Hank Blalock and Alfonso Soriano and getting Monday's hero Kevin Mench to fly out.

Apparently Garland was at risk of reverting to one of his 2004 bad habits, and AJ got in his face. It was one of those "Thanks, I needed that" moments.

PicktoCLick72
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
He took a couple pages out of Ozzie's vocabulary.