PDA

View Full Version : Cubune all city team

Cosmo
05-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Just read this mornings All City team put together by the Cubune. With 13 Sox vs. only 5 Cubs it does show journalistic integrity, and some of the Cub choices I might agree with. But Corey Patterson over A-Row in center? NO WAY!

samram
05-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the one I really didn't agree with was CF. I do like that the Cubs only got one pitcher on the entire "staff," despite their having the greatest rotation ever assembled.

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
link? :smile:

nccwsfan
05-19-2005, 10:24 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0505190253may19,1,5617715.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

BRDSR
05-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Derek Lee over Paul Konerko! What are they smoking over there?!

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 11:12 AM
That Rowand/Patterson thing comes up every year. I would much rather have Aaron, but he got off to a bad start. That's what hurt him.

rdivaldi
05-19-2005, 11:21 AM
2005 OPS

Rowand - .754
Patterson - .717
Even when Aaron is off to a "slow start" he's still better than Mr. Hype.

crazyozzie02
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
I cant believe that the cubune picked Ozzie over Dusty. That just made my day!!!!!

MUScholar21
05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
QUOTE: Aaron Rowand got off to a slow start (.233 in April), but you knew he would come around. He is one tough player mentally and has been more himself recently. He still is hitting the ball on the ground more often than in the past, however.They did a nice job on this one, IMHO. I love Aaron, but Patterson has had a better overall season thus far. They acknowledge the fact that Rowand is back on track, but you can't say there isn't logic behind their pick. Very professionally done-I am happy with all their picks (although even if we weren't playing well, we'd win the bullpen positions by default:cool: )

Think Dusty is calling Tribune Tower as soon as he saw this article? Or maybe Brenly and Kasper are at fault.

chaerulez
05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Aramis Ramirez did have that great year last year... but really hasn't been hitting that well. And now people are talking that he might not be hustling as much as he could, the things that were said about him in Pittsburgh because he got his big payday. I'd say right now it's a tie between him and Crede until someone shows they can hit near .300.

tschneid83
05-19-2005, 12:25 PM
good thing they did this early in the season cause by the end i would expect all of the cubs to be replaced except derek lee but he could fall and paulie is picking it up so who knows.

Cowhead418
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
QUOTE: Aaron Rowand got off to a slow start (.233 in April), but you knew he would come around. He is one tough player mentally and has been more himself recently. He still is hitting the ball on the ground more often than in the past, however.They did a nice job on this one, IMHO. I love Aaron, but Patterson has had a better overall season thus far. They acknowledge the fact that Rowand is back on track, but you can't say there isn't logic behind their pick. Very professionally done-I am happy with all their picks (although even if we weren't playing well, we'd win the bullpen positions by default:cool: )

Think Dusty is calling Tribune Tower as soon as he saw this article? Or maybe Brenly and Kasper are at fault.
Patterson has had NOT had a better year. Let's compare:
Rowand: .278 AVG, .338 OBP, 15 RBI, 27 SO, 6 SB, 0 E, 3 HR
Patterson: .253 AVG, .294 OBP, 16 RBI, 34 SO, 4 SB, 1 E, 8 HR
Oh yeah, Patterson has definately had the better year.:rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Pardon me for not being that well-informed, but does Corey Patterson have "gold glove skills"? I had always heard that he was good fielder but with a weak arm. I'm not trying to bash Patterson or the Tribune, I really just don't watch the Cubs enough to know. I always thought that Rowand was a good centerfielder with good speed and a strong arm, but I see no mention of his fielding skills in that article.

I know that I'd prefer Rowand over Patterson, but I'm a Sox fan so I'm biased.

Jjav829
05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I think this is probably the easiest All-City team in recent years. There are really no arguments to be made except in CF.

C - Pierzynski over Barrett - It's close, but AJ is the choice.
1B - Lee over Konerko - Extremely obvious pick.
2B - Iguchi over Hairston/Walker - Easy pick.
SS - Uribe over Perez/Nomar - Easy pick.
3B - Ramirez over Crede - Ramirez has struggled, but he's still an obvious pick.
LF - Pods over Hollandsworth/Dubois- Easy pick.
CF - Rowand over Patterson - Rogers is apparently going off HRs by picking Patterson because Rowand has him in just about every other statistic.
RF - Burnitz over Dye - Easy pick.

Closer - Hermanson over whoever - Easy pick.
Setup men - Politte and Marte over whoever - Easy pick.
Starting rotation - Garland, Buehrle and Prior are the easy three. The 4th is between El Duque and Zambrano, and El Duque has the edge at this time.

Manager - Ozzie over Dusty - Not even close.

It's a pretty obvious All-City team this year. No real controversy here except in center where Patterson is apparently still living off the hype, despite Rowand being the superior player.

Bisco Stu
05-19-2005, 11:53 PM
I think this is probably the easiest All-City team in recent years. There are really no arguments to be made except in CF.

C - Pierzynski over Barrett - It's close, but AJ is the choice.
1B - Lee over Konerko - Extremely obvious pick.
2B - Iguchi over Hairston/Walker - Easy pick.
SS - Uribe over Perez/Nomar - Easy pick.
3B - Ramirez over Crede - Ramirez has struggled, but he's still an obvious pick.
LF - Pods over Hollandsworth/Dubois- Easy pick.
CF - Rowand over Patterson - Rogers is apparently going off HRs by picking Patterson because Rowand has him in just about every other statistic.
RF - Burnitz over Dye - Easy pick.

Closer - Hermanson over whoever - Easy pick.
Setup men - Politte and Marte over whoever - Easy pick.
Starting rotation - Garland, Buehrle and Prior are the easy three. The 4th is between El Duque and Zambrano, and El Duque has the edge at this time.

Manager - Ozzie over Dusty - Not even close.

It's a pretty obvious All-City team this year. No real controversy here except in center where Patterson is apparently still living off the hype, despite Rowand being the superior player.

Excellent analysis. Except I would make Ramirez a "slight edge" over Crede rather than "obvious."

batmanZoSo
05-20-2005, 12:13 AM

I like Rowand, but Patterson's just a better player. He has perennial all-star potential while Rowand is merely good. He's a good-value player. Gives you a lot of production for your buck, like Uribe.

mjmcend
05-20-2005, 01:28 AM
I like Rowand, but Patterson's just a better player. He has perennial all-star potential while Rowand is merely good. He's a good-value player. Gives you a lot of production for your buck, like Uribe.

And Kerry Wood has the potential to win 20 plus games a year. But he hasn't done it. Potential doesn't mean anywhere near as much as production and to this point Rowand has outproduced Patterson in every category except homeruns, and still leads in OPS. Rowand wins. Although to be fair, this was a very good article overall.

MUsoxfan
05-20-2005, 02:00 AM

I can NEVER see Patterson as a perennial All-Star. Rowand is a better caliber player. They both haven't played great...until Rowand very recently