PDA

View Full Version : Is Bonds done?

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm surprised that this isn't already posted here. ESPN is reporting that Barry Bonds was on 24 hour a day antibiotic IV to combat a staph infection in his knee.

If true, that's serious, folks. Walking normally will be the goal more than a return to baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2063397

doublem23
05-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Maybe this is too much a conspiracy for some people, but isn't no one really allowed to talk about Bonds' return except for Bonds himself? Therefore, any news that would be released on his condition basically have to come from him, or someone in his little camp? What I'm getting at is, how accurate does anyone know this to be? Could Bonds be mearly claiming to have such a disabling infection, so that he can walk away from the game, maybe not on the highest note possible, but so that he can skirt the issue of steroids?

Of course, like I said, this is all just me thinking, and that track record isn't entirely pristine. :cool: If it is true, though, damn; that really sucks. Even as much of a prick that Barry Bonds is, I'd never wish something that could be so potentially disabling on anyone.

FarWestChicago
05-18-2005, 11:54 PM
I think he's in pretty bad shape. Locals who have seen him say he can put almost no weight on the bad wheel.

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Hegawn!!!

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 12:54 AM
let the cheater move aside so the real players can have their day in the spot light. I'm SICK of hearing about Bonds!

CubKilla
05-19-2005, 01:14 AM
let the cheater move aside so the real players can have their day in the spot light. I'm SICK of hearing about Bonds!

Yup. "F" Barroids!

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I'm SICK of hearing about Bonds!Then why did you open a thread that clearly had Bonds in the title? I try not to read threads if I don't want to hear about the subject.

StockdaleForVeep
05-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Hey, roids or not, takes alot of friggin skill to hit a 98 mph fastball. Bonds had a tremendous deal of talent and this is horrible for this to happen to him.

:threadsucks

Wsoxmike59
05-19-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm not shedding any tears if Bonds has to retire. He's the Ben Johnson of baseball and a disgrace to the game, and all his records should have a huge freaking * next to them.

CubKilla
05-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey, roids or not, takes alot of friggin skill to hit a 98 mph fastball. Bonds had a tremendous deal of talent and this is horrible for this to happen to him.

:threadsucks

True. But Bonds had better-than-average skills before he walked through the door of Balco. "F" him.

voodoochile
05-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I seem to recall that one of the problems steroid users encounter is a lowered immune system and a harder time fighting off infections. Am I remembering this correctly or am I just nuts?

TomC727
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I seem to recall that one of the problems steroid users encounter is a lowered immune system and a harder time fighting off infections. Am I remembering this correctly or am I just nuts?

That is correct. They indirectly decrease the immune system

cheeses_h_rice
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Boers and Bernstein were discussing this exact fact this morning.

They called the professional wrestlers of the 1980s "the canary in the coalmine" as far as the longterm effects of 'roid abuse. Barroid's staph infection, Sham-ME*'s staph infection, and I'm sure others to come are just the tip of the iceberg.

Sux2BeThem.

hawkjt
05-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Kirk Ferentz 's son Brian had a staph infection after knee surgery last off-season and they almost had to amputate his leg. These are nasty infections.

mjharrison72
05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm surprised that this isn't already posted here. ESPN is reporting that Barry Bonds was on 24 hour a day antibiotic IV to combat a staph infection in his knee.

If true, that's serious, folks. Walking normally will be the goal more than a return to baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2063397

*IF* it's a staph infection, it could be really serious, even life-threatening... but at this point, whether it's staph or not is pure speculation. There's nothing in that story about staph.

That said, this is obviously still a very serious situation, and while I have some issues with Bonds' actions, alleged and actual, I don't wish anything like this on him, and I hope he can battle back.

Flight #24
05-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Kirk Ferentz 's son Brian had a staph infection after knee surgery last off-season and they almost had to amputate his leg. These are nasty infections.

IIRC, there was also an article written in SI recently on this topic and how staph is spreading like wildfire in locker rooms. Scary scary stuff, including a picture of a guy with a scar down the length of his leg where they had to cut him open to drain and flush with antibiotics(may have been Ferentz's kid).

Esp in football, imagine worrying that any individual scrape could cost you a limb? Ouch.

Stroker Ace
05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Good. I hope he never comes back. Baseball is better off without him.

mccoydp
05-19-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm sure we're only getting 20% of the truth regarding Bonds; I'm curious what the other 80% is.

I turned on BBBTN last night at 10:15 pm, hoping to catch some highlights, and they spent almost 25 minutes going on and on about this IV situation. You would have thought that he was 6 inches from the grave. But, with Peter Gammons and crew, nothing surprises me any longer.

This recent rash of staph infections is curious, isn't it?

SoxEd
05-19-2005, 01:54 PM
On the subject of staph infections, you gotta hope that athletes ain't coming down with MRSA (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2572841.stm) - it's increasingly endemic in our hospitals (people contract it whilst in there), and it kills off an awful lot of them.
It has seemingly evolved (or is evolving) past our ability to control it :(:.

Back on the subject of Bonds, the guy is possessed of a huge natural talent, matched only by the size of his huge ego.

Whilst I in no way wish anything on him that would threaten his life and limb, I think it could well end his playing days, and that that is probably the best possible outcome, both for his reputation, and that of Baseball in general...

:o:

Think about it - if he retires now, there's less likely to be a re-examination of him wrt the 'roids issue, and Commissioner Bud(-Lite) gets to sweep the issue under the carpet.

Barry gets to be remembered as
'that guy who was on course to break the records held by the Babe and the Hammer, but was thwarted by injury',

rather than

'that guy who cheated his way to the top of the pile'.

..And he doesn't get that big fat '*' placed next to his name in all the record books.

MLB Inc. doesn't get its reputation trashed by its 'best ever player' getting dragged through the courts on drug abuse charges, and everyone's happy because the $$$ keep on rollin' in.

IMO it would be terribly convenient for everyone in MLB Inc. if this series of operations on his knee, coupled with the post-op complications were to end his career playing the game.

Of course, this series of operations, the infection etc could quite legitimately banjax his playing days; I'm not saying he'll go out and retire unnecessarily just to protect his/MLB's good name.

And so, yes, I think that he's basically done, playing-wise.
An inglorious end to a glittering career, but it could be oh-so-much worse if he doesn't take the easy way out now.

StockdaleForVeep
05-19-2005, 10:57 PM
On the subject of staph infections, you gotta hope that athletes ain't coming down with MRSA (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2572841.stm) - it's increasingly endemic in our hospitals (people contract it whilst in there), and it kills off an awful lot of them.
It has seemingly evolved (or is evolving) past our ability to control it :(:.

Back on the subject of Bonds, the guy is possessed of a huge natural talent, matched only by the size of his huge ego.

Whilst I in no way wish anything on him that would threaten his life and limb, I think it could well end his playing days, and that that is probably the best possible outcome, both for his reputation, and that of Baseball in general...

:o:

Think about it - if he retires now, there's less likely to be a re-examination of him wrt the 'roids issue, and Commissioner Bud(-Lite) gets to sweep the issue under the carpet.

Barry gets to be remembered as
'that guy who was on course to break the records held by the Babe and the Hammer, but was thwarted by injury',

rather than

'that guy who cheated his way to the top of the pile'.

..And he doesn't get that big fat '*' placed next to his name in all the record books.

MLB Inc. doesn't get its reputation trashed by its 'best ever player' getting dragged through the courts on drug abuse charges, and everyone's happy because the $$$ keep on rollin' in.

IMO it would be terribly convenient for everyone in MLB Inc. if this series of operations on his knee, coupled with the post-op complications were to end his career playing the game.

Of course, this series of operations, the infection etc could quite legitimately banjax his playing days; I'm not saying he'll go out and retire unnecessarily just to protect his/MLB's good name.

And so, yes, I think that he's basically done, playing-wise.
An inglorious end to a glittering career, but it could be oh-so-much worse if he doesn't take the easy way out now.

How would it be good for baseball, the media will just target the next man on their list of potential roid abusers, they prob have like the iraq card deck with bonds bein the ace of spades, who's the next ace?

beckett21
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
This recent rash of staph infections is curious, isn't it?

This phenomenon isn't isolated to professional sports. It's becoming more and more common everyday, everywhere.

The overuse and abuse of antibiotics is leading to resistant microorganisms, or *superbugs* if you will. As SoxEd mentioned, MRSA is widespread in this country's healthcare facilities as well. MRSA is an acronym for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus--a Staph bacteria which has become immune to the penicillin family of drugs which used to be the drug of choice to fight them. For this phenomenon we can thank the overprescription of antibiotics for every cough and sniffle, even though many times these illnesses are caused by viruses which do not respond at all to antibiotics. (Antibiotics only treat bacteria).

Vancomycin, which has been one of the rumored drugs Barry is/was on, is the drug of choice for MRSA infections, but this too is changing as there are strains of the bug becoming resistant to Vanco. It's a slippery slope, and the bugs are catching up.

As for Barry, I know as much about his condition as the rest of you but it sure sounds pretty bad to me. A septic knee joint is a very serious condition. Hopefully they have things under control for him, but this is a dicey situation to be sure. Even though I have no respect for him personally, I hope he gets out of this OK. If unchecked, this infection could get very ugly.

balke
05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
This phenomenon isn't isolated to professional sports. It's becoming more and more common everyday, everywhere.

The overuse and abuse of antibiotics is leading to resistant microorganisms, or *superbugs* if you will. As SoxEd mentioned, MRSA is widespread in this country's healthcare facilities as well. MRSA is an acronym for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus--a Staph bacteria which has become immune to the penicillin family of drugs which used to be the drug of choice to fight them. For this phenomenon we can thank the overprescription of antibiotics for every cough and sniffle, even though many times these illnesses are caused by viruses which do not respond at all to antibiotics. (Antibiotics only treat bacteria).

Vancomycin, which has been one of the rumored drugs Barry is/was on, is the drug of choice for MRSA infections, but this too is changing as there are strains of the bug becoming resistant to Vanco. It's a slippery slope, and the bugs are catching up.

As for Barry, I know as much about his condition as the rest of you but it sure sounds pretty bad to me. A septic knee joint is a very serious condition. Hopefully they have things under control for him, but this is a dicey situation to be sure. Even though I have no respect for him personally, I hope he gets out of this OK. If unchecked, this infection could get very ugly.

I'm glad I fight through the majority of my colds. Superbugs sound gross. I always think its wierd when I meet people that seem to take at least an aspirin a day, or have multiple medications at young ages.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but Barry just shows how good it is that the government is at least mildly addressing steroids in all sports. Think about all the people that juice and never make the pros, then suffer from ailments just like pro athletes do. Ridding sports of steroids and PED's is critical to the integrity of baseball, and will ruin any sport that goes through another steroid scandal.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2005, 12:23 AM
*IF* it's a staph infection, it could be really serious, even life-threatening... but at this point, whether it's staph or not is pure speculation. There's nothing in that story about staph.Apparently, everything about Bonds's knee is pure speculation, because he won't even discuss it with the Giants, and is using a doctor other than the one they recommended that he use.

ESPN specifically said staph in the SportsCenter story. I hadn't noticed that it wasn't in the ESPN.com story, I just provided a link so people who hadn't heard about it at all could catch up.

voodoochile
05-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Apparently, everything about Bonds's knee is pure speculation, because he won't even discuss it with the Giants, and is using a doctor other than the one they recommended that he use.

ESPN specifically said staph in the SportsCenter story. I hadn't noticed that it wasn't in the ESPN.com story, I just provided a link so people who hadn't heard about it at all could catch up.

:maggs
"Screwed up knee? No team doctor allowed to examine it? Ignoring medical recommendations? I am shocked... shocked do you hear that anyone would even consider doing something so underhanded and contemptable. psssst... Barry... try Austria. They'll do some wacky stuff for you and you won't have to answer to the press for several months. Hanging's too good for scum like Barry. He should be run out of baseball on the nearest rail then drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered. I cannot believe how devious people will be just for a few million dollars. Oh no... I strained my knee... er... hernia... I need to go lie down and take the pressure off my leg... er... surgical incision. This sitting at a desk is hard work. Honey have you seen my cane?"

bigfoot
05-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Didn't, sports writer/caster, Dick Schapp die (post knee-operative) of an infection, similar to the BBonds situation?

TornLabrum
05-21-2005, 09:05 AM

Let me make things even scarier. Right now drug companies are spending next to nothing developing a new generation of antibiotics because it isn't cost effective.

ode to veeck
05-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Let me make things even scarier. Right now drug companies are spending next to nothing developing a new generation of antibiotics because it isn't cost effective.

Economic attractiveness of other drugs aside, antibiotics are also difficult to test on humans through pre-release trials. How can you do a control and give a sick person a placebo when they need antibiotics? All in all there is much, much, much less development of new anitbiotics by the major and minor pharms.

SoxEd
05-22-2005, 04:52 PM
On the subject of drug-resistant bacteria, I'd heard that one possible avenue to explore (in terms of future treatments) is Genetically-engineered Viruses that target the bacteria in question.

I don't know how feasible this is, or how far along the research is, but it would clearly represent a licence to print money if you could create a safe and effective GEO that could re-establish our control of nasty wee beatsies like staph.

(Obviously, you do NOT want to release any virus that can spread unchecked through human hosts, and then mutate in to a variant that kills us too... So, there are technical difficulties to overcome, to say the least...)

Anyone know anything about how likely a treatment-method this is?

voodoochile
05-22-2005, 05:37 PM
On the subject of drug-resistant bacteria, I'd heard that one possible avenue to explore (in terms of future treatments) is Genetically-engineered Viruses that target the bacteria in question.

I don't know how feasible this is, or how far along the research is, but it would clearly represent a licence to print money if you could create a safe and effective GEO that could re-establish our control of nasty wee beatsies like staph.

(Obviously, you do NOT want to release any virus that can spread unchecked through human hosts, and then mutate in to a variant that kills us too... So, there are technical difficulties to overcome, to say the least...)

They are using something similar on some forms of cancer with good results.

The Racehorse
05-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Cheaters never prosper.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Cheaters never prosper.:nandrolone

You've obviously never seen my bank account!

The Racehorse
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
:nandrolone

You've obviously never seen my bank account!

LOL... yuuuuuuup!

:)

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 08:18 PM

I read something in one of the news magazines about some research being done (at the U of Chicago) that is trying to find a way to keep bacteria from producing the toxins that cause infection. Apparently when some get destroyed, it triggers a response in them to defend themselves. By short circuiting this process, they hope to be able to prevent infections in the absense of antibiotics.