PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the "sleeper" for the Wrigley series?

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm starting this thread, because I've been doing some thinking. Pierzynski's been hitting quite well lately, and it seems like he's got a good grasp on how much these games mean for us Sox fans based on his quotes in the media. I think Pierzynski's gonna be the unsung hero when all is said and done this weekend...

FarWestChicago
05-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Well, we need a new Flubs Killer. Manos and Caballo are gone.

samram
05-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll say Crede. I think he's ready to get back on another hitting streak.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-19-2005, 12:27 AM
As hot as he is, and as fierce of a competitor as he is, AJ is also my guy here.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2005, 12:29 AM
As hot as he is, and as fierce of a competitor as he is, AJ is also my guy here.

How much $$$ would you like to put on him pissing Zambrano off the most? :D:

Jjav829
05-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Not sure what you mean by "sleeper." If you're just talking about who will have a big series, I'll say PK. He's been looking better and I think he's on the verge of busting out. He's also done pretty well for himself in his career against the Cubs. Plus, Cubs pitching means lots of fastballs. I only wish PK could face Wood and Farnsworth. :tongue:

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 12:34 AM
So many to choose from. I think Paulie and AJ will each have a big series. However, I expect huge things from Dye. I can hear the Cubs fans now "Jermaine frickin' Dye! How could they give up the game winning hit to Dye two straight games?! He blows." I forecast big things from out worst hitters to this point.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-19-2005, 12:36 AM

HaHa - that'll be too much fun to watch - I am envisioning a 10-pitch at bat ending with a 3-run HR.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2005, 12:49 AM
HaHa - that'll be too much fun to watch - I am envisioning a 10-pitch at bat ending with a 3-run HR.

That, as well as their exchanges when Zambrano's up to bat.

Zambrano comes up to the plate

AJ: Hey, Zambrie...You know, my great-grandmother has better "stuff" than you, and she isn't even alive anymore!

Zambrano tries to swing at AJ's head, but instead hits the home plate umpire in the balls and immediately is ejected...

tstrike2000
05-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I will say either Rowand or Dye. Rowand's been hitting pretty well lately and has very quietly put together a 12 game hitting streak. Dye had 3 doubles today and hopefully, he can keep that going this weekend.

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I think that Igushi will have a monster series 8-15 3 walks,2 hr,4 runs,7 rbi,2 sb,1 cs

CHISOXFAN13
05-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I think that Igushi will have a monster series 8-15 3 walks,2 hr,4 runs,7 rbi,2 sb,1 cs

Wow, that's 18 plate appearance in a three-game set.

I like the optimism, but I don't see it happening.

I'll go with Uribe.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2005, 01:21 AM
i hope it's garcia, and the cubans... we really need to make them look foolish at the plate.

joe_tansey2004
05-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Im going with Pods. I think he'll have a heck of a series. I predict his first Home Run of the season in game 1 followed by his second in game 2. Now don't laugh.:smile:

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Im going with Pods. I think he'll have a heck of a series. I predict his first Home Run of the season in game 1 followed by his second in game 2. Now don't laugh.:smile:

I would laugh except for the "Caruso Incident." Anyway, I think Pods will be the star too, or at least I hope so, because when the leadoff hitter is good, a team is good.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-19-2005, 01:40 AM
i think jermaine dye will be HUGE in this series. he'll have 6 RBIs in these 3 games (combined).

but id love to see garcia, jose, and duque each have an amazing start.
id love to see this...

garcia; 7 2/3, 5 H, 2 ER (Sox win 4-2)
contreras; 7, 3 H, 1 ER, 10 Ks (Sox win 6-1)
hernandez; 8, 7 H, 2 ER (Sox win 5-3)

Hermies closes out two of the games. we dont even need a closer for the third game. SWEEP baby!

Optipessimism
05-19-2005, 04:14 AM
vs. Zambrano: Pods takes 3 bases and drives him crazy enough to give up an early bomb to Iguchi. Together, the 1-2 punch helps the Flubs make 2 errors which cost them as many runs or more.

vs. Maddux: Rowand, Dye, and PK completely rock him to the tune of 3 2/3 IP and 6+ ER

vs. Prior: Iguchi and Rowand are my picks to come through in the clutch. I ahte to say this, but I'm worried about El Duque going the distance in this one. He is going to need to pitch well because I think if we win this we will have to hold Derrick Lee and his friends to 3 runs or less.

TomBradley72
05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Uribe....his glove is heating up..unbelievable web gem against the Rangers Wednesday....and he will rise to the occasion. He will be Carlos Lee's replacement as our resident "Cub Killer". At least one homer...and one opposite field double.

Tom Bradley 2005 Record:

Overall: 8-1
Home: 5-0
Road: 3-1
vs. AL Central: 5-1
vs. AL East: 2-0
vs. AL West: 1-0

Baby Fisk
05-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Rowand has been slowly working himself up to the point where this weekend he will finally RUN HAWG WILD on Cubs pitching. I expect one or two spectacular catches in CF too. Go Crash Go! :bandance:

Spicoli
05-19-2005, 09:04 AM
ROWAND is my pick to click for the series. He is ready to break out. I also think Pods will cause havoc on the basepaths frustrating Dusty's dominions.

Jerome
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
I would laugh except for the "Caruso Incident." Anyway, I think Pods will be the star too, or at least I hope so, because when the leadoff hitter is good, a team is good.

Just Like Mark Kotsay on the A's:D:

You are right though, it's tough to win without a good leadoff man. Could you imagine Podsednik and Iguchi at the top of last year's lineup?:smile: :smile: :smile:

veeter
05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Juan Uribe

mjharrison72
05-19-2005, 10:33 AM
I also am hoping Pods will wreck some havoc on the basepaths... the news today is that Barrett wasn't catching at the end of last night's game because he was conderned about a nagging shoulder pain that might hinder his ability to throw to 2B...
Scotty like Fresh Meat behind the plate?

daveeym
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
So many to choose from. I think Paulie and AJ will each have a big series. However, I expect huge things from Dye. I can hear the Cubs fans now "Jermaine frickin' Dye! How could they give up the game winning hit to Dye two straight games?! He blows." I forecast big things from out worst hitters to this point. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That's spot on. Willie Harris would fit that role nicely as well. (mods anyway to get the smiley's to not animate in unison? multiples look cooler in the text box while typing in posts)

John Barrett
05-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I think Pods will drive Zamblono out of his mind on the bases

ChicagoHoosier
05-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Tom Bradley 2005 Record:

Overall: 8-1
Home: 5-0
Road: 3-1
vs. AL Central: 5-1
vs. AL East: 2-0
vs. AL West: 1-0
You're driving a LONG way to have gone to nine games already. Kudos to you!

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 12:21 PM
One thing to think about, the cubs are more familiar with Podsednik than any of our other players. That being said, Pods is hitting .667 off Prior, .259 off Zambrano, and only .059 off of Maddux.

I think AJ will be a force and get into their heads...and we all know that the baby bears can't handle that.

However, I think our new cub killer will be Jermaine Dye. He's been stroking the ball well and finally reaped the benefits last game. Don't know why, but I think JD is gonna go bananas!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd have to go with AJ on this. I got that feeling. We need somebody to take the place of Valentin with the Sosa kisses. He's going to kill them and piss them off.

Uncle_Patrick
05-19-2005, 12:40 PM

I, too, have this gut feeling that Pods is going to hit his first homer of the year at Wrigley. I don't know about 2 of them, though.:smile:

I have a feeling that Pods, AJ, PK, and Rowand are going to make big splashes (in different games) this weekend.

skobabe8
05-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I was thinking the other day how AJ seems to be the likely successor of Carlos' former role that is Cub Killer. He has a good grasp on how things are in this city and I think he's gonna drive their hitters NUTS behind the plate, just like he did to us those years.

hawkjt
05-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Juan and AJ.

I just gotta feeling that Juan will be a guy that will be spraying the ball all over the yard this weekend with a couple of dingers on Sat and Sun. One each day.

AJ who I used to hate more than any player in the league is a perfect foil for cubnation. He will stick out that elbow on Maddux and get hit. that will frustrate madduz and cub fans - it will start the ball rolling for a frustrating series. He will also hit a homer on SAt.

Sxy Mofo
05-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Pods/Gooch will be a huge factor in this series.

skottyj242
05-19-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know about a "sleeper" so to say, but my big guy this weekend is Contreras, I just feel a huge game from him on Saturday. I hope Pods gets on base nine times this weekend and steals like eleven bases, I can see Scotty getting on base and Zambrano throwing four straight pitch outs to the Gooch.

Sxy Mofo
05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I hope he pulls off a steal sometime this series like he did against toronto where he's in a pickoff type play and still manages to steal second. that has to get under a pitchers nerves.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Anybody have any research on our best DAY GAME performers outside of Garcia?

Regardless I vote for Pods, Cubs fans were all glad to see him leave the division.

PorkChopExpress
05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
I thought about this and realized AJ was on the Giants last year so he has experience with the Cubs, and I checked his numbers - impressive!

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
15 0 7 1 0 0 3 0 2 0 .467 .529 .533 1.062

AJ is my guy.

na_na_na_na
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
AJ 3 homers in 15 ABs against the flubs last year!!!(thanks for that stat PorkChopExpress)

PorkChopExpress
05-19-2005, 02:19 PM
AJ 3 homers in 15 ABs against the flubs last year!!!(thanks for that stat PorkChopExpress)

The numbers got a little smashed in the post. That's 3 RBI's, and 0 HR, but check the average and OPS.

MUScholar21
05-19-2005, 02:24 PM

If AJ's still being the agitator behind the plate (chirping at batters) then Zambrano is going to snap. THAT will be the heavyweight fight of the weekend, not Golota.

By the way, the pick to click for the series: Jermaine Dye. The man is going to have to play every day in all likelihood, and if the wind is blowing out and JD having a helluva game Wednesday, he is coming out of this funk.

Tekijawa
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Luis Viscaino!

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Unlike the past years of having Valentin and Lee beat the Cubs, my "sleeper" picks will be the starting pitchers. We are a different team. We will beat the Cubs with a balanced attack throughout the lineup, though no one will stand out, and with great starting pitching. That is usually how we have been getting it done this year: it starts with good pitching and ends with good pitching.

StrTrkker
05-19-2005, 04:50 PM
It will be Tadahito...

No doubt.

gobears1987
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Podsednik will piss off Zambrano more. NOt to say that AJ won't piss Z up, but we all remember what Timo being on 1st did to him last year. Now imagine what Pods will do to him!

soxwon
05-19-2005, 07:52 PM
iguchi will be huge, just wait.

iftypofixit
05-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I thought about this and realized AJ was on the Giants last year so he has experience with the Cubs, and I checked his numbers - impressive!

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
15 0 7 1 0 0 3 0 2 0 .467 .529 .533 1.062

Am I reading this correctly...AJ was HBP twice against the cubs. Seems like he already may be under somebody's skin. I'm surprised however that nobody has mentioned Timo. I know he may not even pay but remember last year who drove Zambrano insane? Yes Timo was on first and Zambrano threw over like eight times in a row, then he finally pitched to Crede and Joe smashed a hr. That was one of my favorite sox/cub moments.

mike squires
05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm going with Dye. Good time for him to stay hot and come up with some clutch hits and some great defense.

Mohoney
05-20-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm gonna go with Shingo pitching 2 scoreless innings of relief, 1 in game 2 and another in game 3, getting the W in game 2 with the nutcase taking the loss, and getting the save in game 3 because Hermanson pitches games 1 and 2 and gets saves in those.