PDA

View Full Version : Twins Sound like us last 4 years

gosox3072
05-18-2005, 11:07 PM
This is a column by some dude in the minnesota newspaper, but i thought it was pretty interesting....it kinda sounds exactly the same as we did from 2001-2004

http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+sports+150588

btw...i found this on chisox.com, lol its chaos over there w/ trolls:redneck

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
It sounds like someone's got sour grapes, and rightfully deserved!

samram
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM
He must be auditioning for a job with ESPN.com. Silly inaccuracies and unresearched assertions having nothing to do with reality are the stuff of champions over there. Good luck, whatever your name is!

gosox3072
05-18-2005, 11:14 PM
He must be auditioning for a job with ESPN.com.

Gee i never thought about that.......he will fit right in!!!!

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:18 PM
He must be auditioning for a job with ESPN.com. Silly inaccuracies and unresearched assertions having nothing to do with reality are the stuff of champions over there. Good luck, whatever your name is!

Ya know, there's a REASON he's writing only for a small paper based in St. Cloud...My articles in high school were more well-written!

TheOldRoman
05-18-2005, 11:29 PM
:sahaf
"Mick Hatten is telling the truth. Truer words have never been spoken. We shall assume that Garland will only win 4 more games this year. Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse, on the other hand, will win 23 games each. Contreras and Hernandez will surely get injured, but Terry Mullholland will compete for the Cy Young at age 42. Thomas may be the greatest pure hitter of his generation, but he is no match for Mauer and Morneau. Just ask Peter Gammons. The Stockings are horrible on so many levels that is is obvious they will win no more games for the rest of the year. The Twins will go 146-16 on their way to a world championship and the state of Minnesota will give in and build them a $4 billion stadium. What did I forget? Oh yeah. The bullpen is horrible because I say it is, the defense is average because I say it is,and Ozzie Guillen's 1 season managing another man's team with his two best players out is a telltale indication of his future success."

chisox06
05-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Thats so bad its not even worth getting worked up over.

samram
05-18-2005, 11:34 PM
"Mick Hatten is telling the truth.

Oh, that's his name?

This is what I would have done with that article:

*Mick Hatten is an up and coming writer who will make his presence felt on a national scale within three years. Here's the reality check on him: No he isn't. Now go cover the opening of the new St. Cloud Municipal Pool, Mick.*

tstrike2000
05-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah. You could overanalyze things to death, but what's the point? In '02, the Twins won the division with Milton and Mays missing significant parts of the season, Radke mediocre, and Santana in the bullpen. If one of the big Cubans goes down, we'll manage whether it means someone going on 3 days rest or if KW has to trade for an innings eating starter. And what Garland has done is remarkable thus far but it's no fluke. His sinker that rides into right handed hitters and stronger use of the change up are as noticeable of a change in repatoire as Loaiza's cutter in '03. When you want to be like an ESPN analyst, but write for a small city paper like the St. Cloud Times, the article as a whole is pretty rediculous. The Twins are pesky, but they are also pinning their hopes to essentially 4 players: two pitchers, and two rookies. Not only as a Sox fan but also a baseball fan, I like our chances.

CanBuehrleWait
05-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah. The bullpen is horrible because I say it is, the defense is average because I say it is,and Ozzie Guillen's 1 season managing another man's team with his two best players out is a telltale indication of his future success."

:jerry You got that right. He'll never get it done without more tinerking.

Ha nice post man:cool:

CleeFan101
05-18-2005, 11:54 PM
that has to be one of the most biased articles i have ever read... honestly he shouldnt even be a writer for a highschool.... Although its funny reading an article written by another teams homer fan.

I dont mind when others critisize our team, I would just like it if they did their homework on the subject and if your going to point out the declining of players also point out how others players should improve.

ATXBMX
05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I could have sworn Contreras made 31 starts last year. I can't do simple math.:?:

rwcescato
05-19-2005, 12:02 AM
This is a column by some dude in the minnesota newspaper, but i thought it was pretty interesting....it kinda sounds exactly the same as we did from 2001-2004

http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+sports+150588

btw...i found this on chisox.com, lol its chaos over there w/ trolls:redneck

Yes it certainly sounds like us. I guess its impossible for once in our lifetimes, for me its 41 years, for everything to go our way. Its way over due and it sure would be nice to sweep the flubbies this weekend and continue winning for the rest fo the season. Excuse us for losing a few games. We still have the best record in baseball and fall in the power rankings. I guess we still haven't played anyone. I bet the experts consider the flubs with the 18-20 record playing somebody.
GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!!
Rich:)

Tragg
05-19-2005, 12:34 AM
"Mick Hatten is telling the truth. Truer words have never been spoken. We shall assume that Garland will only win 4 more games this year. Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse, on the other hand, will win 23 games each. Contreras and Hernandez will surely get injured, but Terry Mullholland will compete for the Cy Young at age 42. Thomas may be the greatest pure hitter of his generation, but he is no match for Mauer and Morneau. Just ask Peter Gammons. The Stockings are horrible on so many levels that is is obvious they will win no more games for the rest of the year. The Twins will go 146-16 on their way to a world championship and the state of Minnesota will give in and build them a $4 billion stadium. What did I forget? Oh yeah. The bullpen is horrible because I say it is, the defense is average because I say it is,and Ozzie Guillen's 1 season managing another man's team with his two best players out is a telltale indication of his future success."

LOL

I saw the Twins play in Seattle last year in early August - the same time when we were slumping our way out of the race. When I saw that lineup, I just asked myself, how can this happen? Offerman was playing DH (yikes!); Mulholland did the pitching. And they got smoked that night. The way I figure it, they've had 3 straight years of way over-performing.

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 12:42 AM
If one of the Cubans goes down we will have to hear about how bad Brandon McCarthy is. This sounds nothing like Sox fans the last couple years, though I wasn't on this site. I felt more admiration for the way the Twins won despite my hating them with every fiber of my being.

ma-gaga
05-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Personally I like the other article on the front page:

Man sees Dome as Nazi hut

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) Fans attending games at the Metrodome probably don't spend much time staring at the ceiling, but those who do might see a swastika in the dome's roof supports.A Twin Cities man hopes to make a documentary about the swastika formed by cables that come together to keep the air-supported dome's roof in place.

He's created a Web site about it, arguing that "the flag that flew over Auschwitz should not fly over" the NFL, Major League Baseball and Minnesotans.

Dome officials say there's no truth in Tim Anderson's argument that the German designer was a Nazi and therefore sought to create one of the world's largest swastikas in the stadium that has served as the home field of the Minnesota Twins and Vikings .

Nice. Here's the rest of the article. (http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+sports+811496)

:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2005, 01:43 AM
The way I figure it, they've had 3 straight years of way over-performing.Nobody "overperforms" for three years. The Sox didn't get it done because they were a one-dimensional team.

If any of you think that a columnist in St. Cloud represents Twins thinking, well...

Optipessimism
05-19-2005, 02:57 AM

Baghdad Bob!!!!

Only, it would be more like this:

"Jon Garland is not 7-0. You think he is because of all the media reports that are out there, but they are all out to deceive you. The Twins are the dominant team in the eyes of God and they are still in first place. Esteban Loaiza and Jim Parque and Jose Valentin still play for the Sox. Go outside and look. There is no such thing as a Mark Buerhle either. The White Sox use loud sounds and flashing lights to make you think that you are not looking at Jaime Navarro, when in fact you are. The White Sox will crumble in defeat at the hands of the Twins as always and all the faithful Twinks will rejoice."

Kuzman
05-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Their bullpen is a weakness. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
05-19-2005, 07:52 AM
i emailed him telling him he's an idiot

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't get it. If we're so bad, then what explains the best record in baseball? What... we didn't play anybody yet? He can't say that because that would say something of our 4-1 record against the Twins.

This guy is very numbers driven. Numbers from the past that don't give his arguments any solid ground.

Jon Garland is 7-0 with a 2.39 ERA. Obviously, Garland is not going undefeated this season.
What's so "obvious" about that? He's the best pitcher is baseball right now.

But here's the reality check on Garland: Most wins in a season (12) and a career record of 52-51 with a 4.56 ERA.
So pitchers can never improve? HE'S 25 YEARS OLD! And the wins are team wins which have to do with your team's overall play, why can't anyone figure that out?

He was the 10th player taken overall in the 1997 draft, so it is not that he does not have talent.
Numbers again. #10 automatically means that you're good right?

These guys have had control and arm problems, threw lots of innings for the Cuban national team and are undoubtedly older than their listed ages (35 for Hernandez, 33 for Contreras).
Numbers again. What does the number of your age have anything to do with performance? You see how well they are pitching right now. What is not to understand?

But he played only 74 games last season (Thomas), has knocked in 100 runs in a season once since 2000 (105 in 2003) and he's 36 years old. Unless you're Barry Bonds, you're offensive numbers do not get better at this point.
He was hurt, that happens in sports. And about his numbers getting better...? Does he have to do better than each previous year for us to win a division? Frank is a solid hitter, and you're telling me that won't help this team?

name the last season that Thomas' personality did not throw oil into the team's chemistry. You can't.
Sandy Alomar said this in an interview on ESPN1000 yesterday, "Chemistry is winning" All the rest of that jargon is just crap.

Which of the following relief pitchers would you fear as a hitter in the late innings: Dustin Hermanson, Luis Vizcaino, Damaso Marte, Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts or Shingo Takatsu?
OK, Marte is tough on left-handed hitters and Takatsu had a nice season last year. But Takatsu's also 36 (see Thomas theory above).
Yeah, I guess Hermanson's 19.1 innings without a run is nothing and Politte's 1.13 ERA is nothing and Marte's 2.25 ERA is nothing. Opposing hitters seem to love facing these guys.
Oh and Takatsu's 36... Well, here's another number. I guess that means he sucks. What age was Randy Johnson last year when he threw a perfect game?

The point is that once the White Sox starters go through a funk, which of these guys will pick up the slack? Their bullpen is a weakness.
Once they go through a funk? Bullpen a weakness?

Juan Uribe's last full season as a starting shortstop was 2002 with Colorado and he made 27 errors.
I guess the 134 games from last year don't count. He was so valueable to this team last year that they shuffled him around to 3 different positions just to keep him in the lineup and here are his errors from 2004...
3B - 2 errors in 27 games
SS - 3 errors in 38 games
2B - 6 errors in 77 games
No mention of his replacing Jose Valentin when talking about errors huh?

So overall, you take traditionally fragile and unreliable starting pitchers, combine them with an average bullpen, average fielding, a manager who has never managed a team to a title at any pro level and that adds up to a title?
Yeah, I guess Buehrle, Garland and Garcia are all pretty fragile.
As for the Guillen comment... Are managers ever able to get a first title or do you start from the number 2 and count up?

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Personally I like the other article on the front page:

Nice. Here's the rest of the article. (http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+sports+811496)

I found the link that the website mentioned in the article.
Here's the pitcture..
http://www.swastikadome.com/3.jpg

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.newagenotebook.com/images/greeneye.jpg

What a poorly written article.

infohawk
05-19-2005, 09:46 AM
I wish a newspaper would let me write a column where I can assert all of my "hopes" as outright facts.

The author forgot one thing. He should have written, "And there is no reason to believe that U.S. Cellular Field, never popular with White Sox fans, won't be burned to the ground by angry Sox fans, necessitating forfeitures for lack of a venue to play home games."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

skottyj242
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Did anyone notice that he left his phone number on the bottom of the article? It's probably just to his voicemail at the paper but who wants to call and flood his voicemail?

dcb33
05-19-2005, 10:32 AM
As for the Guillen comment... Are managers ever able to get a first title or do you start from the number 2 and count up?
So overall, you take traditionally fragile and unreliable starting pitchers, combine them with an average bullpen, average fielding, a manager who has never managed a team to a title at any pro level and that adds up to a title?

I wonder if he said this about Ron Gardenhire in 2002...