PDA

View Full Version : sox-cub pitching matchups

soxwon
05-18-2005, 10:38 PM
im a bit worried about these pitching matchups.

garcia-maddux
contreras-zambrano
el duque-prior

convince me guys, i need not to worry!!!!

how have we done in the past against these guys?

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM

Doesn't matter...Our lineup isn't even close to the previous seasons...There are so many new people here, so you really can't base your predictions based on previous seasons.

MeanFish
05-18-2005, 11:12 PM

garcia-maddux
contreras-zambrano
el duque-prior

If Garcia, Contreras, and El Duque can keep the game close through five innings (as they should.), we will be in great shape. There's no reason we can't decimate their bullpen, and not one of those guys is a reliable innings eater.

popilius
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Is Zambrano going for sure on Saturday? I heard he was going to throw on the side first, then decide if he was ready for his next start.

I don't remember the Sox having too much trouble with Maddux, but Garcia is due for a great start. . . his location has been hurting him. As for Sunday, we have to jump on Prior very early.

:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Is Zambrano going for sure on Saturday? I heard he was going to throw on the side first, then decide if he was ready for his next start.

According to The Score tonight, Zambrano's feeling fine.

I think that our pitchers don't have to worry much this series...The Cubs' offense isn't a world-class offense, and they did ok against much better offenses in Baltimore, Tampa, and Texas.

JB98
05-18-2005, 11:20 PM
According to The Score tonight, Zambrano's feeling fine.

I think that our pitchers don't have to worry much this series...The Cubs' offense isn't a world-class offense, and they did ok against much better offenses in Baltimore, Tampa, and Texas.

Well, Buerhle and Garland did OK against Baltimore and Texas. Time for Garcia to step up Friday. I'm confident he will.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, Buerhle and Garland did OK against Baltimore and Texas. Time for Garcia to step up Friday. I'm confident he will.

I am too...He won't have 3 straight games in which he struggles. He's gonna bring his game.

Jjav829
05-18-2005, 11:24 PM

garcia-maddux
contreras-zambrano
el duque-prior

I wouldn't worry. 2 out of 3 is a legitimate possibility, and a sweep isn't out of the question. The Cubs have the "sexier" - for lack of a better term - pitchers going, but our guys have been getting it done. Freddy's due for a bounce-back game and Maddux hasn't really heated up yet. The positive for the two Cubans is that the Cubs hitters don't walk much. Contreras and El Duque have both gotten into quite a bit of trouble when walking hitters but the Cubs hitters aren't the most patient hitters around. If they can stay near the strike zone, there's a good chance the Cubs hitters will expand their hitting zones. There are still questions about Zambrano's arm, so who knows how effective he will be. The Sunday match-up is the one that worries me the most. As long as he actually makes his starts, Prior is still going to be one of the best pitchers around. We can't afford for El Duque to pitch on Sunday like he did last time out.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much. I won't make a prediction, but I like our chances.

chisox06
05-18-2005, 11:26 PM
All we have to do is knock those guys out early and we'll win this series. If the sox starters get kncoked out early, we can have a LOT more confidence than the what the cubs can do if hit with that situation. If we see a lot of innings by the cubs relievers this series, we'll take it too em.

JackParkman
05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm not too concerned.
Despite clunkers in their most recent outings, Garcia has been better overall than Maddux this year (4.02 ERA in AL vs. 4.15 ERA in NL) and Contreras has been better than Crazy Carlos (3.52 ERA vs. 4.09). Add to the mix that Zambrano is hurting and Maddux can't go more than six innings and I don't think there's much of an edge one way or the other.
Prior, when on, obviously gets the nod over Hernandez, but we can always hope the big game El Duque shows up Sunday. Also, Prior's career stats vs. the Sox (1-0, 4.50 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) aren't dominating.

Zambrano career stats vs. Sox: 2-1, 3.86 ERA, 1.68 WHIP.
Maddux vs. Sox last year: 1-1, 9.90 ERA, 2.04 WHIP.

Garcia vs. Cubs in '02: 1-0, 1.00 ERA, 0.86 WHIP
Couldn't find any starts for Contreras or Hernandez vs. Scrubs.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm not too concerned.
Despite clunkers in their most recent outings, Garcia has been better overall than Maddux this year (4.02 ERA in AL vs. 4.15 ERA in NL) and Contreras has been better than Crazy Carlos (3.52 ERA vs. 4.09). Add to the mix that Zambrano is hurting and Maddux can't go more than six innings and I don't think there's much of an edge one way or the other.
Prior, when on, obviously gets the nod over Hernandez, but we can always hope the big game El Duque shows up Sunday. Also, Prior's career stats vs. the Sox (1-0, 4.50 ERA, 1.40 WHIP) aren't dominating.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet that I think will drastically increase our likeliness of getting into the Cubs' bullpen early is that we have guys who can foul off pitch after pitch (namely Iguchi, for example), which will drive up that pitch count that Dusty lives by in deciding when to pull his starter.

samram
05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
The thing about Maddux is teams can get to him early as he tries to pinpoint locations. I think Pods and Iguchi can drive him crazy and the more fastballs Rowand and PK see with those guys on base, the better.

As for Zambrano, the Sox highjinks on the basepaths should basically drive him to lunacy. I can't wait to see it, although I don't want him trying to incite a beanball war.

Prior will be tough. He's a good pitcher. El Duque's going to have to pitch well, and I think he will. He's a big game pitcher who won't be affected by the pressure of a crosstown matchup.

CleeFan101
05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I have a good feeling about this series actually. Even though they have the 3 superior pitchers going, we have done fairly well against flame thrower pitchers this year and Zambrano/Prior both heavily rely on their fastball.... Maduxx is the one that will probably give us trouble but he 2 old to go a complete game and we roughed him up last year.

manuelsucks
05-19-2005, 12:35 AM

garcia-maddux

Well something no one has mentioned is Freddy's day stats. His day time ERA is a low 2.89, and his ERA when not pitching at the Cell is 2.54. Those stats make me feel comfortable with Freddy on the mound. Plus, he needs to get it going here and recover from a dismal performace against the O's. This game could be a big confidence boost.

Plus, the guys get an extra day of rest with the day off, so I'm very confident going into this series.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-19-2005, 01:04 AM
here's why i think we will easily win this series and we just MAY sweep...

- the cubs just scored 7 runs against the pirates in 2 games. 4 of the runs were scored against jose mesa. this means two things; 1) our bullpen is much better than the pirates bullpen and we won't be giving up many runs IF any. 2) the cubs offense is struggling (unless jose mesa is on the mound)

- if u take out their 5/10 win over new york (7-0), the cubs are averaging 3 runs per game in may (15 games). INCLUDING that 5/10 shutout, they are yielding 3.6 runs a game. excluding that shut out, they're allowing 3.9 runs/game.
the sox on the other hand; averaging 5.1 runs/game in may (17 games) while yielding 3.7 runs/game.
runs for - runs against: cubs are -0.35, sox are +1.4 in may.

- what does the cubs bullpen currently look like? here it is...
latroy hawkins
mike remlinger
todd wellemeyer
will ohman
ryan dempster
michael weurtz
cliff barthosh
..........ahhhh, unless maddux, zambrano, AND prior throw a CG each, this should be a BLAST!

CubKilla
05-19-2005, 01:10 AM
If the Sox can keep the ball in The Urinal, we'll win 2 of 3 at the least. The sCrUBS don't score many runs unless they are of the HR variety.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-19-2005, 01:14 AM
a couple of side-notes, one REAL bad note and one somewhat positive...

the bad; prior/zambrano/maddux are very good at home
the good; timo perez vs. zambrano in 2004, 2-4, 2 R, 2 BB, a .667 OBP against him in 6 plate appearances. he should get the start in CF on Saturday, give rowand the day off.

samram
05-19-2005, 08:22 AM
a couple of side-notes, one REAL bad note and one somewhat positive...

the bad; prior/zambrano/maddux are very good at home
the good; timo perez vs. zambrano in 2004, 2-4, 2 R, 2 BB, a .667 OBP against him in 6 plate appearances. he should get the start in CF on Saturday, give rowand the day off.

Frankly, I would be fine with never seeing Timo play again, and he should not start in CF- ever.

Baby Fisk
05-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Prediction: the Cubs' bullpen will implode three joyous times. :cool:

samram
05-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Prediction: the Cubs' bullpen will implode three joyous times. :cool:

That would be great, but I hope a bullpen implosion isn't needed.

Baby Fisk
05-19-2005, 09:13 AM
That would be great, but I hope a bullpen implosion isn't needed.

Still, it makes for a very satisfying ending...

:yup:
"Oh yeah... uh-huh..."

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 09:16 AM

This is a team game. Look at the records. That should convince you.

hawkjt
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
As we all know the wind is a big deal in cubs park. I like Freddy vs Maddux on Friday cuz the wind will be coming in at 15mph. Freddy can get away with high pitches and our speed on the paths will hurt maddux with his slow delivery.

Sat the wind will shift to SE but be pretty neutral. El Duque vs Zambrano is a toss up as Z is a groundball pitcher who frankly is pretty overpowering. Duque might get away with his walks with no wind-blown homers but he is a big game pitcher and I will take him in a squeaker due to bullpen edge.

Sunday a full blown gale going out to center- look for Jose to get burned for the walks vs Prior the robot. Only hope is running up pitch count on prior as he gets pulled after 100. I unfortuantely see the cubs in a blow out. 2 of 3 is great and I will be a happy camper.

Cowhead418
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
As we all know the wind is a big deal in cubs park. I like Freddy vs Maddux on Friday cuz the wind will be coming in at 15mph. Freddy can get away with high pitches and our speed on the paths will hurt maddux with his slow delivery.

Sat the wind will shift to SE but be pretty neutral. El Duque vs Zambrano is a toss up as Z is a groundball pitcher who frankly is pretty overpowering. Duque might get away with his walks with no wind-blown homers but he is a big game pitcher and I will take him in a squeaker due to bullpen edge.

Sunday a full blown gale going out to center- look for Jose to get burned for the walks vs Prior the robot. Only hope is running up pitch count on prior as he gets pulled after 100. I unfortuantely see the cubs in a blow out. 2 of 3 is great and I will be a happy camper.
Ummmmmm.... El Duque faces Prior while Contreras faces Zambrano. How can you envision a blowout by them anyway. Our pitching is great and their offense sucks.

soxwon
05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
thanks everyone.

i feel more confident.

so a sweep is in order then?

firejauron
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
If we can keep the guys in front of Derek Lee off base we should be okay. He's the only guy in their lineup that concerns me. Don't let him get those arms extended.

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
If we can keep the guys in front of Derek Lee off base we should be okay. He's the only guy in their lineup that concerns me. Don't let him get those arms extended.

I'm sure Coop has gone over this plenty of times with AJ and who ever the starters are. Lee is basically carrying their offense, so I'm sure they will make sure that he doesn't beat them.
Concerning the pitching matchups, I'm not too worried. I think we will beat up on Maddux, get into Zambrano's head (especially with our speedsters on the basepaths), and hopefully find a way to get to Prior.

Chisox003
05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
If Garcia, Contreras, and El Duque can keep the game close through five innings (as they should.), we will be in great shape. There's no reason we can't decimate their bullpen, and not one of those guys is a reliable innings eater.

Exactly...Get to that bullpen, and start rockin and rollin

I really think guys like Podsednik and Gooch can really get to Zambrano and light his extremely short fuse just by getting on, and being a THREAT with that speed....If he worries about the baserunners, the hitters will have an immediate advantage

As for Maddux and Prior, Freddy and El Duque better be on...Which I have no doubt they will....

Just think, the 2 guys that have seen the Cubs every year for the last 4 or 5 years will be spectators...Its time for the new guys to show what they got the Crosstown Classic....Im already nervous

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
As for Maddux and Prior, Freddy and El Duque better be on...Which I have no doubt they will....

Maddux really doesn't scare me. Then again, he has gotten off to some slow starts before and then suddenly rediscovered his groove. But I think the Sox will run all over him like they will Zambrano. Now Maddux is no where near the headcase that Zambrano is, but having runners always in scoring position will definitely help out our hitters, even against a smart pitcher like Maddux. Prior, on the other hand, will be a little bit tougher to get to.

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
It was briefly mentioned about driving Zambrano to lunacy, but have the cubs really dealt with a team with the base stealing ability we have? I haven't really been paying attention to anything about stolen base leaders in the NL. I think the cubs are in for a shock.

Zambrano is going to throw 150 pitches in an incredible complete game shut out. However, his career will end when his arm entirely detaches from his body, and Dusty finds out the hard way duct tape does not work in every situation. Any mention of holy water here would be cliche.

No really, I do like these pitching match-ups. Zambrano's goofed up arm and a proneness for letting his emotions get the better of him make him kind of a weak play in my opinion this week. Maybe I'll eat those words, but I doubt it. Maddux got out pitched by that Glover guy on Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago. Emphasis on the term "that Glover guy" cause I don't think anyone has ever really heard of him. Time to start planning retirement Gregg. As for Prior, big deal. No pitcher is invincible. I have full faith and confidence in a Sox sweep this weekend.

samram
05-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Maddux really doesn't scare me. Then again, he has gotten off to some slow starts before and then suddenly rediscovered his groove. But I think the Sox will run all over him like they will Zambrano. Now Maddux is no where near the headcase that Zambrano is, but having runners always in scoring position will definitely help out our hitters, even against a smart pitcher like Maddux. Prior, on the other hand, will be a little bit tougher to get to.

Also remember, if it hasn't been mentioned already, that Maddux has never been good at holding runners. If Pods and Iguchi are on, they can definitely run on him, regardless of who' behind the plate.

SpringfldFan
05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I think the Sox have a good opportunity this afternoon - Maddux is nothing special anymore. The only worry I have is Konerko. I can see the crafty Maddux causing Paulie to pull 4 sharp grounders to short, which is just what he doesn't need while he starts pulling out of his slump...

SFF

DaleJRFan
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I think the Sox have a good opportunity this afternoon - Maddux is nothing special anymore. The only worry I have is Konerko. I can see the crafty Maddux causing Paulie to pull 4 sharp grounders to short, which is just what he doesn't need while he starts pulling out of his slump...

SFF

Paulie loves the mid-80s fastball. He'll take him deep 4 times, not 4 grounder outs. Maddux has a 4.00+ ERA over the past 3 seasons while only averaging 6.2 innings per start, that's not too great, Classic #5. Good luck with the best team in baseball, Greg.

I am, however, concerned about Freddy. He hasn't looked very good recently. He needs to throw a great game today. Maybe the atmosphere will help him rise to the occation.

Man, I hate the Cubs. GO SOX!