PDA

View Full Version : How is miller Park?

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Those of you who've been to miller park, how is it? im thinking of going up to some brewers games over the summer.

White Sox Josh
05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
GO! It an extremely good park. The food is good and the sightlines are great. You will love it.

jake27
05-18-2005, 09:31 PM
the tickets are good prices. there is never that many people and you never have to worry about it being rained out. its a great place to see a game

Palehose13
05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
IMHO, I think it is a little overrated, but it is a nice park. The TGIF's is nice in LF and a good pre-game/post-game hang out. If you are in the lower deck or the Loge level the seats are good. However, in UD in some spots it is hard to see the corners of the OF. I don't like that the concourse is like a maze and unless you go right behind home plate, it can be a pain to go to the concession stands. The roof is nice to prevent rain-outs and help with cold weather, but when the roof is open I feel that the windows on the sides of the ball park make em feel stil a bit enclosed...like I bought a car with a sunroof, but I really wanted a convertible. Of course, let's not forget the distinct Brewer traditions...the sausage races, Bernie Brewer, and "Roll out the Barrel" after "take me out to the ball game".

So, in short, it's not a bad ballpark. An enjoyable experience will be had, but I fail to see it as one of the best parks in the league.

cwsfannick
05-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I enjoy my first trip to Miller Park for the Sox - Brewers Exhibition games. Tickets are priced fairly, team was enjoyable to watch and the fans were laid back. I would go again.

ilsox7
05-18-2005, 11:13 PM
The sightlines are horrid. Absolutely horrid. Of all the new parks I've been to (quite a few) Miller is easily the worst.

elrod
05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
It's a beautiful facility, but it manages to de-Milwaukify the atmosphere. I've never been to County Stadium but I'd imagine the fans there were pretty hardcore and a bit rowdy. Miller Park seems like a mausoleum, where the fans only get excited when the scoreboard tells them to. It reminds me of what I hated about Camden Yards. Beautiful park, but the fans get lulled into the acoutrements to the point where they lose the passion for what's happening on the field during the game.

ondafarm
05-18-2005, 11:40 PM
I love Miller. I take my nephews there when I can (they live in Brookfield, WI.) The prices are reasonable and the sightlines generally good. The roof still amazes the kids. The food is good. The Brewers . . . eh?

Parrothead
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
The sightlines are horrid. Absolutely horrid. Of all the new parks I've been to (quite a few) Miller is easily the worst.

I would say it is not the best new park but it is ok. Sightlines are not great. Go to TGIF's that is a good time.

TDog
05-19-2005, 12:04 AM

I was going to say the same thing. When Miller opened, the local press raved while finding fault with the sightlines. There are a lot of things I don't like about Miller I dislike. I didn't think I'd feel that way when I was a season ticket holder for the last season at County Stadium. I like Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix. For all the sunshine in Arizona, Phoenix is quite the indoor city. Maybe having an indoor park seems more natural. Besides, the roof and so many any things are superior to what they have in Milwaukee. Miller does have cheaper tickets, faster sausages and better parking. If you don't mind walking across the river, it's only $6.

And really, if it's a choice between going to Miller Park and not going to a baseball game, why even ask?

MUsoxfan
05-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I love Miller Park. I make it to 8-10 games a year up there. I think it's a fantastic place and I highly recommend it

Chrisaway
05-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Its a very nice park. For some reason it reminds me of Soldier Field (minus the giant crowds/plus a roof).

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2005, 01:16 AM
i personally think it's overated. it's cool and parking is way cheap and milwaukee just rocks. but i don't know....i've been there a lot too so it's not like i went once, had a bad time and am ripping it now.

last time i got so drunk i fell asleep in some dudes seat and they couldn't move me. i guess i actually dared him too but he left. this was at their opening day too. .... :?:

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 01:51 AM
The park is overrated but nice if the roof is open. The parking and tickets prices are cheap, though, so it's worth going. Milwaukee sucks if you didn't know already, but the liquor is cheap.

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
The park is overrated but nice if the roof is open. The parking and tickets prices are cheap, though, so it's worth going. Milwaukee sucks if you didn't know already, but the liquor is cheap.

You obviously don't know where to go. Milwaukee rocks, especially in the summer.

ilsox7
05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
You obviously don't know where to go. Milwaukee rocks, especially in the summer.

Milwaukee is a love it or hate it town from everyone I've talked to. I have lots of friends who went to Marquette and loved it and I have some friends currently working in the business world there who despise it.

dcb33
05-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I've never been to a game at Miller Park, but apparently it's illegal to drink while tailgating...

:o:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2063447

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Milwaukee is a love it or hate it town from everyone I've talked to. I have lots of friends who went to Marquette and loved it and I have some friends currently working in the business world there who despise it.

I'm curious as to why people would hate it...especially adults. I can understand why college students may not like it cause they miss the best part of the year, but I will never move back to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago...but too many people, too much traffic.

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I've never been to a game at Miller Park, but apparently it's illegal to drink while tailgating...

:o:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2063447

Whoops. :cool:

I think this sums it up best:
The city's Common Council is scheduled to vote on the permanent exemption Friday, and it's not expected to receive any opposition.
"You're talking about Milwaukee here," Murphy said with a laugh.

ondafarm
05-19-2005, 10:54 AM
. . . last time i got so drunk i fell asleep in some dudes seat and they couldn't move me. i guess i actually dared him too but he left. this was at their opening day too. .... :?:

Who paid your bail?

MIgrenade
05-19-2005, 11:02 AM

I have been here for 4 years at Marquette and can't wait to leave. The summers are fun because there are constant festivals which involve drinking on the street and Summerfest is something everyone should check out. As I said, the liquor is cheap and if that's what you are after then it's a great time. The rest of the year there isn't much.
I worked with a guy who was in his 40's and had lived in Chicago, Atlanta and now Milwaukee. He said he loved those other cities because at any time of night he could just go out and find something to do, but in Milwaukee there's nothing. The city seems to shut down.

ilsox7
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm curious as to why people would hate it...especially adults. I can understand why college students may not like it cause they miss the best part of the year, but I will never move back to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago...but too many people, too much traffic.

Part of the complaints, and I have heard this a lot, is that the people in Milwaukee tend to be very closed off. In Chicago, when you go out to a bar or something and you meet your friends' friends, often times you immediately trade numbers or something, and become friends with those people easily. In Milwaukee, they feel as though people have their friends and aren't too open to adding more friends. Again, that is all anecdotal and obviously not always the case, but is the case enough where I've heard it from multiple people. I have also heard, as you said, people who live in Chicago and who are dying to get back to Milwaukee. so it definitely goes both ways.

Chicago also has a lot more to do and a lot more young professionals. I think that's the big reason. And living downtown means not having to deal with traffic or anything. Most of the people I know who hate it are business people and Milwaukee just isn't a business hub. I think that's what really drives them to dislike it so much.

daveeym
05-19-2005, 11:32 AM
IMHO, I think it is a little overrated, but it is a nice park. The TGIF's is nice in LF and a good pre-game/post-game hang out. If you are in the lower deck or the Loge level the seats are good. However, in UD in some spots it is hard to see the corners of the OF. I don't like that the concourse is like a maze and unless you go right behind home plate, it can be a pain to go to the concession stands. The roof is nice to prevent rain-outs and help with cold weather, but when the roof is open I feel that the windows on the sides of the ball park make em feel stil a bit enclosed...like I bought a car with a sunroof, but I really wanted a convertible. Of course, let's not forget the distinct Brewer traditions...the sausage races, Bernie Brewer, and "Roll out the Barrel" after "take me out to the ball game".

So, in short, it's not a bad ballpark. An enjoyable experience will be had, but I fail to see it as one of the best parks in the league. Best summary of Miller Park ever.

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Best summary of Miller Park ever.

Thanks. I've only been there once or twice. :cool:

ma_deuce
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Really... I guess that wasn't me drinking Falstaff in the parking lot before the Saturday preseason game against the Sox. It must have been my evil twin, pa_trey!

:redneck

Dick Allen
05-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I've been there 4-5 times a year since it opened, and I never get tired of the experience. Easy to get to, good food, a fun time whenever I go, or I would have stopped going by now. Of course, I'll never go when the Cubs are playing there.

maurice
05-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I like the park and the city. Many of the criticisms in this thread are true, but they just don't bother me. The best part is that it's a fairly short drive or train ride from Chicago.

Palehose13
05-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I like the park and the city. Many of the criticisms in this thread are true, but they just don't bother me. The best part is that it's a fairly short drive or train ride from Chicago.

That's the way I now feel about Chicago. :smile:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Who paid your bail?

nah i had a posse with me....so the guy came back and actually bought me a beer and apologized

illinibk
05-19-2005, 07:54 PM
the park is a whole, I can't stand it. With the windows and the exposed girders and air ducts, it feels like a warehouse, not a baseball stadium. Its like being in a box. To me, it is very hard to watch a game in a box. Needless to say, I liked County a lot better.

HomeFish
05-19-2005, 08:07 PM
My only criticism of it is that you can't always see the field from the concourse, something that I take for granted at the Lower Deck of the cell, though I suppose its a problem in the UD too. But, in the UD, you can always just run into a stairwell to see what happened.

In Miller Park, there are long sections where there is a store, restaurant, or bathroom between the concourse and the field. I feel that was poorly planned, but it's a great park.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2005, 08:27 PM
upper deck is too steep

manuelsucks
05-19-2005, 09:05 PM
When I went to Miller Park to see the Sox this year, I enjoyed it. The park isn't too terrible, but we had good seats as it was only an exhibition game. I can understand how some people think it is like a warehouse. That's what it felt like when I was there, I just wasn't able to put my finger on it. But it was more like a fun warehouse.

One thing I did not enjoy - the food. Just awful. I ordered a hot dog from the stand and I swear it was an Oscar Meyer hot dog they just took out of the microwave. I'm sure if you went to one of the specialty stands you would get better food.

mdep524
05-19-2005, 09:24 PM
I really enjoy Miller Park every time I go, and would definitely recommend checking out a Brewers game or two this summer with one caveat: it probably goes without saying, but do NOT go to Miller Park when the Cubs are playing the Brewers. I am not exaggerating when I say it is worse than Wrigley.

TDog
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM

In Miller Park, there are long sections where there is a store, restaurant, or bathroom between the concourse and the field. I feel that was poorly planned, but it's a great park.

Oddly enough, this seems to be a reaction to Comiskey II. Putting the elaborate concessions and restrooms and enclosed luxury boxes between the field and the concourse was considered "a correction" to the poorly planned atrocity of a ballpark being criticized so heavily on the south side of Chicago.