PDA

View Full Version : Sox stealing vs. sCrUBBIES catching...

sthbndsox
05-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I've been thinking a lot about how Pods gets on base and creates chaos, but i hate it when he gets picked off or thrown out. I understand that it happens, but does anybody know how Zambrano, Prior, and Maddux are at holding runners are, or how Barret is at throwing out runners?

JB98
05-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I've been thinking a lot about how Pods gets on base and creates chaos, but i hate it when he gets picked off or thrown out. I understand that it happens, but does anybody know how Zambrano, Prior, and Maddux are at holding runners are, or how Barret is at throwing out runners?

Maddux is terrible at holding runners, the worst of the three. Zambrano and Prior are just average. Barrett is above average at throwing out runners, but it's not like he's I-Rod or anything. We can run on them.

elrod
05-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Maddux is notoriously bad at holding runners on. Prior has a very good move for a righty. I don't know about Zambrano but he's mentally unstable so who knows?

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Pods has a way of getting under the pitcher's skin, so I think that'll be a huge factor when we're facing Zambrano. Hell, Pods might get in Zambrano's head so much that Zambrano gets kicked out of the game...he's got that short of a fuse.

Let's get into the Cubs bullpen early, Sox!!!

Sox of White
05-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Pods has a way of getting under the pitcher's skin, so I think that'll be a huge factor when we're facing Zambrano. Hell, Pods might get in Zambrano's head so much that Zambrano gets kicked out of the game...he's got that short of a fuse.

Let's get into the Cubs bullpen early, Sox!!!

It would be great to see zambrano have a meltdown on the mound due to Pods. Just imagine Pods stealing 4 bases against zambrano. He very well might explode all over the infield.

TaylorStSox
05-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Timo Perez got in Zambrano's head last year. Hell! I can run faster than Timo Perez.

MIgrenade
05-18-2005, 07:02 PM
What will also be interesting is when we steal on Maddux versus Zambrano and the difference in reaction. I'd have to say Maddux won't care while Zambrano will go nuts. Veteran vs. Nutcase
Earlier we get into that bullpen the better.

Whitesox029
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Timo Perez got in Zambrano's head last year. Hell! I can run faster than Timo Perez.
...And Paul Konerko then proceeded to hit a three run jack. Farmer called it. I remember it distinctly.
I fully expect Podsednik to be all over the basepaths on the Cubs...he should know Barrett and the pitchers well having played with the Brew Crew last year.

chisoxmike
05-18-2005, 08:09 PM
I hope Pods goes BIZZERK and on a war path on the Cubs this weekend and in June. I also want to see a repeat of last year when Zambrano lost his head when Timo was on base.

Shorty1983
05-18-2005, 08:17 PM

That's if Pods can get on base, he's 1-for-17 against Maddux.

buehrle4cy05
05-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Maddux is notoriously bad at holding runners on. Prior has a very good move for a righty. I don't know about Zambrano but he's mentally unstable so who knows?

I remember this from last year's Cubs vs. Sox series:

Timo Perez got on first (can't remember how or how many outs) for Joe Crede. Zambrano threw over to first three or four straight times, and then forgot that Crede hits fastballs low and in well. Zambrano threw one there and Crede smashed a 2-run HR.

JB98
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Just read Kiley's story for tomorrow's Cub-Times. Barrett left today's game in the ninth inning with some shoulder trouble. He pulled himself out of the game, concerned that he wouldn't be able to throw out any potential base stealers. If he's in the lineup this weekend, we should run at every opportunity.

TDog
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
My supervisor at work, who is a Cubs fan, shared with me when the Sox picked up Pods that he "killed the Cubs." I don't know what that means because I didn't pay attention to Cubs games. Maybe there were just a couple of clutch hits. I doubt he "killed the Cubs" to the extent that Carlos Lee did for the Sox.

Still, Pods seems to be playing better this year and getting on base a lot for someone the baseball experts said would never get on base.

Mickster
05-19-2005, 11:06 AM
...And Paul Konerko then proceeded to hit a three run jack. Farmer called it. I remember it distinctly.
I fully expect Podsednik to be all over the basepaths on the Cubs...he should know Barrett and the pitchers well having played with the Brew Crew last year.

I believe Crede hit the HR.

mccoydp
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
I can't wait for Podsednik to get on the bases vs. Zambrano. Zambrano doesn't seem like he's wound too tight, and it will be fun to see what happens when he gets messed with.

na_na_na_na
05-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Scotts 2004 vs cubs line:

vs. CHC
AB: 69
R: 10
H: 18
2B: 4
3B: 1
HR: 1
RBI: 3
BB: 5
HBP 0
SO 15
SB 9
CS 2
AVG .261
OBP .311
SLG .391
OPS .702

Didn't play as well at wrigley:
AB 29
R: 3
H: 7
2B: 2
3B: 1
HR: 1
RBI: 3
BB: 3
HBP 0
SO 4
SB 3
CS 2
AVG 0.241
OBP 0.313
SLG 0.483
OPS 0.796

mikehuff
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I remember that Timo incident. Pods will drive him nuts. It might even lead to a bean ball depending on how the game is going. I don't think he'd hit Scotty though, because he's just be back on base to drive him even more nuts.

Here's one of the Suntimes articles about Zambrano's "meltdown"
http://www.suntimes.com/special_sections/rivalry/cst-spt-cub27.html

I think this was the inning..

June 26th 2004
3rd: Uribe fouled out to third. Thomas walked. On a wild pitch by Carlos Zambrano, Thomas took second. Lee walked. Valentin popped out to short. Konerko homered to right-center field, Thomas and Lee scored. Perez singled to shortstop. Crede homered to left, Perez scored. Alomar lined a single to left. Harris popped out to short. 5 runs, 4 hits, 1 runner left.

the gooch
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
My supervisor at work, who is a Cubs fan, shared with me when the Sox picked up Pods that he "killed the Cubs."

i recall he killed the twins somethin fierce as an interleague rival.

ondafarm
05-19-2005, 12:03 PM

According to the numbers Barret is similiar to Mauer of the Twins for his effciency at throwing runners out. Nobody has a steal against Zambrano but Maddux has given up 7 with only one thrown out.

Sxy Mofo
05-19-2005, 12:11 PM
So will someone be brave enough to hold a "where's LaTroy" sign up in the middle of drunken cub-dom?

If that guy shows up at Wrigley, he'll be my hero.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-19-2005, 12:29 PM
My supervisor at work, who is a Cubs fan, shared with me when the Sox picked up Pods that he "killed the Cubs." I don't know what that means because I didn't pay attention to Cubs games. Maybe there were just a couple of clutch hits. I doubt he "killed the Cubs" to the extent that Carlos Lee did for the Sox.

Still, Pods seems to be playing better this year and getting on base a lot for someone the baseball experts said would never get on base.

I called all my Cub fan friends after the trade and the ALL said we would love Pods and they were glad to see him leave the division.

PicktoCLick72
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
It says that Barrett has a sore arm in the Daily Herald. HOpefully we can exploit this.