PDA

View Full Version : Derek Lee must be walked!!

hawkjt
05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
We cannot let him beat us like he beat the pirates last nite. man on third,one out and first base open and the pirates pitch to him?

Lets make anyone else beat us. This guy is the hottest hitter in baseball. I say give him the Bonds treatment. Let jeromy burnitz try to beat us. Lee is the only real consistent threat on their team. I would take my chances with walking him 4 times a game and am certain we would be better off in the end.

It is not a macho thing ,ozzie -do the smart thing.

Dick Allen
05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
We cannot let him beat us like he beat the pirates last nite. man on third,one out and first base open and the pirates pitch to him?

Lets make anyone else beat us. This guy is the hottest hitter in baseball. I say give him the Bonds treatment. Let jeromy burnitz try to beat us. Lee is the only real consistent threat on their team. I would take my chances with walking him 4 times a game and am certain we would be better off in the end.

It is not a macho thing ,ozzie -do the smart thing.I was thinking this exact same thing the other day. He should definitely be pitched around, I don't think anybody else in that lineup is worth losing any sleep over.

GiveMeSox
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM

It is not a macho thing ,ozzie -do the smart thing.

I disagree he does have a weakness. Hawk and DJ mentioned hes is not a very good inside hitter and if you pitch him inside and have him looking in you can get him out. I say go after him with no one on base and be careful when there is.

JoseCanseco6969
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
I third this idea. Dont give him anything to hit at all!

Jerko
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I third this idea. Dont give him anything to hit at all!

I agree. Twice now (Reds and Pirates) teams pitched to him after he was already 3 for 3 with a homer. What did he do each time? Hit a 2nd homer. I'm all for getting his ass out, but let's not be stupid about it. Do not let him beat us.

SOXSINCE'70
05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
A.L. strategy is different from N.L. strategy.

And A.L. strategy says you treat Derrek Lee the same way Sparky Anderson
and Hal MacRae treated "The Big Hurt" in his day.And that would be,
to quote a book title from former Yankmees pitcher Jim Bouton:

BALL 4:angry: :angry:

maurice
05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm not opposed to pitching around Lee, but I don't think Ozzie will do it. The most obvious guy to pitch around in the AL is Sweeney, but Ozzie always pitches to him . . . and he always kills us.

mack10zie
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, with El Duque and Contreras taking the hill we shouldn't have to worry about that since they seemingly pitch around almost everybody...

elrod
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, one good way to pitch "around" him and pitch inside at the same time is to pitch WAY inside. A HBP is as good as a walk if you're going to pitch around somebody.

Jurr
05-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, one good way to pitch "around" him and pitch inside at the same time is to pitch WAY inside. A HBP is as good as a walk if you're going to pitch around somebody.
Motion seconded. Like a Miller Lite...Great call.

Grobber33
05-18-2005, 06:13 PM
The Cubs won today with Lee going 0-4,so forget that. Ozzie knows Derrek well from his days with him in Florida. I say they will pitch to him unless the situation calls for an Int Walk. As for drilling people. The Sox dont want to do that. They are rolling and dont want anyone hit and injured. The Cubs have little to lose right now since they are'nt going anywhere,and will never sniff the Cards this season.

Ozzie wants to get this series over with and move on.Of course he wants to win and not get swept there like last season,but he wants no part of a bean ball war with the Cubs,or anyone other than Minnesota perhaps.

Foulke29
05-18-2005, 06:33 PM
The Cubs won today with Lee going 0-4,so forget that. Ozzie knows Derrek well from his days with him in Florida. I say they will pitch to him unless the situation calls for an Int Walk. As for drilling people. The Sox dont want to do that. They are rolling and dont want anyone hit and injured. The Cubs have little to lose right now since they are'nt going anywhere,and will never sniff the Cards this season.

Ozzie wants to get this series over with and move on.Of course he wants to win and not get swept there like last season,but he wants no part of a bean ball war with the Cubs,or anyone other than Minnesota perhaps.

Amen, and it should't be Minnesota. It should be Torii Hunter (and maybe Oakland after all the plunks they dealt us).

White Sox Josh
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Guys if they throw him junk there is a good chance he will chase. He can strikeout quite a lot.

elrod
05-18-2005, 10:29 PM
No need for a bean ball war, mind you. I'm just saying that they should throw way inside and if they happen to nick him, well, so what. Don't try to hurt him or anything.

CleeFan101
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
I dont want to beam any cub players when they have zambrano and prior on the mound :o: .... how much would an El Duque fastball really hurt anyways :tongue:

WhiteSoxFan84
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I disagree he does have a weakness. Hawk and DJ mentioned hes is not a very good inside hitter and if you pitch him inside and have him looking in you can get him out. I say go after him with no one on base and be careful when there is.

kip wells OWNED him earlier today. 2 Ks i believe, maybe 3.

i think it was his second or third AB, he swung at a pitch that almost, and im not kidding, it almost hit him in the face! they showed kip wells after the pitch and he was cussin himself out cuz it was such a horrible pitch.

he's hitting around .250 this month and would be hitting .230 if it wasn't for jose mesa.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree. Twice now (Reds and Pirates) teams pitched to him after he was already 3 for 3 with a homer. What did he do each time? Hit a 2nd homer. I'm all for getting his ass out, but let's not be stupid about it. Do not let him beat us.

I disagree with the idea of pitching around him. Look at the pitching staffs he has beaten - Reds and Pireates. Everybody should look like Babe Ruth against them. Our pitchers will be fine. I would rather give him a 1-15 weekend with a solo HR than a 0-5 weekend with 10 walks and 5 runs scored!!!

Don't give an awful offense any free base runners.

gosox3072
05-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Ozzie wants to get this series over with and move on.

Me too, This is one of those emotional series that if it goes wrong can turn a ship right around. I really hope the sox take this game as 3 of 162 on the way to october.

RedPinStripes
05-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Weak! Pitch to him! If he gets hot then throw at his hands. **** pitching around him. It's still the Cubs and we're not The Reds or Pirates. And we don't have their ****ty rotation.

CLR01
05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Weak! Pitch to him! If he gets hot then throw at his hands. **** pitching around him. It's still the Cubs and we're not The Reds or Pirates. And we don't have their ****ty rotation.

:thumbsup: Other than your love affair with Rowand you are an alright guy. :D:

Don't give them any excuses as to why the lost. Beat them straight up.

Chicago83
05-19-2005, 03:10 AM
You have to walk him, the rest of the lineup is weak. Obviously the situation may not call for it, but if you have a base open with runners on then walk the man. I think that the three pitchers we have going truly understand this and will not give in to hitters. If we had Beurhle pitching then I would be a little worried about Lee, but with Garcia and the cubans I am not worried about him. I'm just worried about how many other guys they walk. I'll be at the game on Friday and I hope to see a gem from Garcia.

fquaye149
05-19-2005, 04:16 AM

f that. ibb's are winning straight up. the proper response to: "we would have won if you pitched to Lee" is:

"you would have won if anyone else on your team could hit"

RedPinStripes
05-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Only when Singleton was here. :D: I'm not a fan of Rowand's at all since Sox fest 03'. He would kill me if he ever heard what i say about him on air. :bandance:

Chisox003
05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I dont want to beam any cub players when they have zambrano and prior on the mound :o: .... how much would an El Duque fastball really hurt anyways :tongue:

It would hurt plenty right around the jaw area :wink:

Na, I dont want to see any fights, brawls etc...Theres enough of that in the seats as it is, we dont need it on the field....Plus, this series is already painful (stressful) enough without one of our guys gettin hurt/suspended

As for Lee, pound him inside, and definitely dont let him beat you...Make another stud in their lineup do some damage...

White Sox Josh
05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Maybe we should start a new thread!:offtopic:

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I say so go after Lee... but be smart about it. No nibbling on the corners, just pound him inside. I hope we see a few broken bats from Lee over the weekend. Like the other posters have said, make someone else beat you, not their hottest hitter.

South Side
05-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Only when Singleton was here. :D: I'm not a fan of Rowand's at all since Sox fest 03'. He would kill me if he ever heard what i say about him on air. :bandance:

Did I miss something? Why wouldn't you like Aaron Rowand? :?:

CLR01
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Did I miss something? Why wouldn't you like Aaron Rowand? :?:

He has a brain?

D. Lee is not going to beat us by himself. Hopefully Ozzie and the team have more guts than some of you. :rolleyes:

balke
05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
You pitch to him until he beats you. And if the situation presents itself, 3 run game, 2 on and 2 out, yeah you walk him.

You don't go into a crosstown rivalry with an NL team and play like wimps for 3 games. Go after him,

shoota
05-19-2005, 11:03 PM
The Cubs won today with Lee going 0-4,so forget that.

That's not an educated statement.

Here's what the best pitching staff in baseball should do: Pitch to Derek Lee with nobody on base and pitch around him with a base open. There is no need to IBB walk Derek Lee or give him the Bonds treatment. Derek Lee is not good enough.

batmanZoSo
05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't get the cliche "let someone else beat you."

No.

Let's let no one beat us.

CLR01
05-19-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't get the cliche "let someone else beat you."

No.

Let's let no one beat us.

So you want to IBB the whole team? :?: