PDA

View Full Version : California Senate passes Measure forbidding use of city names if you dont play there

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Pretty funny, got it on my phone last nite, but cant find the link.
City of Anaheim is pissed the Angels are pulling this stunt.

HomeFish
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I've always been a bit ticked about the Rosemont Wolves, and now the Fire are moving to Berwyn or thereabouts; I guess it's just one of my pet peeves as a resident of Chicago.

I can't believe this team almost became the Addison White Sox. I'm so glad that didn't happen -- I'd almost certainly be a Cubs fan today if it did.

Iwritecode
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
What's next, the St. Petersburg Devil Rays?

I want Mags back
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
I've always been a bit ticked about the Rosemont Wolves, and now the Fire are moving to Berwyn or thereabouts; I guess it's just one of my pet peeves as a resident of Chicago.

1. Fire will be in Bridgeview
2. If you want to build an Arena in the City of Chicago for the Wolves, Im sure they would go there, But a Allstate is all that is available to them

ondafarm
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Pretty funny, got it on my phone last nite, but cant find the link.
City of Anaheim is pissed the Angels are pulling this stunt.

They may go back to California Angels then.

Actually, LA Angels was their original (expansion) name.

nccwsfan
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Was there anything wrong with the Anaheim Angels? I think 95% of the country could figure out where Anaheim was anyway.....

hose
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
They may go back to California Angels then.

Actually, LA Angels was their original (expansion) name.

The LA Angels played in Wrigley Field for 1 season and Dodger Stadium for 4 before the cowboy moved them to Anaheim.

Jerko
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
So, we'll have the Auburn Hills Pistons, the Irving Cowboys, the Foxboro Patriots, the East Rutherford Jets and Giants, the Landover Redskins, the Arlington Rangers, the Denver Rockies, the Phoenix Diamondbacks, the Kansas City Missouri Royals, the Pontiac Lions, Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland, the Ann Arbor Wolverines of the lower level penninsula of Michigan, and the Columbus Buckeyes. Not to mention the college basketball finalists, the Chapel Hill Tar Heels of North Carolina and the Fighting Illini of Champaign Illinois at Urbana.

cheeses_h_rice
05-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Was there anything wrong with the Anaheim Angels? I think 95% of the country could figure out where Anaheim was anyway.....

Nothing was wrong with the name, unless you've got a vested financial interest in the Angels ballclub. The Los Angeles name carries with it marketing cachet that simply doesn't exist with Anaheim. When they made the change during the offseason, they *knew* it would end up being shortened to the L.A. Angels by almost everyone, and it's succeeded.

nccwsfan
05-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Nothing was wrong with the name, unless you've got a vested financial interest in the Angels ballclub. The Los Angeles name carries with it marketing cachet that simply doesn't exist with Anaheim. When they made the change during the offseason, they *knew* it would end up being shortened to the L.A. Angels by almost everyone, and it's succeeded.

I understand that thinking and agree with it, but if they're somehow 'forced' to switch back to Anaheim I can't see how that's necessarily a bad thing either. It's still SoCal, they're still in the #2 market, and they're probably (correct me if I'm wrong) in a more up and coming area (Orange County). The LA name certainly sells, but it's not like Anaheim is Fresno or Modesto.....is it?

Dub25
05-18-2005, 08:14 PM

I can't believe this team almost became the Addison White Sox. I'm so glad that didn't happen -- I'd almost certainly be a Cubs fan today if it did.

I do get confused easily but I never heard of the Rosemont Wolves, only the Chicago Wolves.

soxfan26
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
So, we'll have the Auburn Hills Pistons, the Irving Cowboys, the Foxboro Patriots, the East Rutherford Jets and Giants, the Landover Redskins, the Arlington Rangers, the Denver Rockies, the Phoenix Diamondbacks, the Kansas City Missouri Royals, the Pontiac Lions, Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland, the Ann Arbor Wolverines of the lower level penninsula of Michigan, and the Columbus Buckeyes. Not to mention the college basketball finalists, the Chapel Hill Tar Heels of North Carolina and the Fighting Illini of Champaign Illinois at Urbana.

Thankfully the California Senate is working on the real issues affecting taxpayers.

ChiSoxRowand
05-18-2005, 10:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with calling them the Los Angeles Angels. But, "Los Angels of Anaheim" is the dumbest name ever.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Anaheim should just do what Aurora did a number of years ago when I was still working in Naperville.

A new subdivison on the far east side of Aurora, right by Fox Valley Mall, was advertising themselves in the newspapers as being in Naperville. Aurora's mayor told them that if they thought they were in Naperville, they should see if Naperville would provide them with water service.

They backpedalled really quickly.

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2005, 12:15 AM

I can't believe this team almost became the Addison White Sox. I'm so glad that didn't happen -- I'd almost certainly be a Cubs fan today if it did. I'd almost certainly be a cubs fan today????? What????????

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
if farmer and rooney talk about the freaking name of the angels one more time i'm gonna explode....let it rest guys

doublem23
05-19-2005, 12:48 AM
if farmer and rooney talk about the freaking name of the angels one more time i'm gonna explode....let it rest guys

Make that any announcers. On the ESPN game this afternoon, with Steve Stone, Steve Phillips, and some other clown, they kept yakking about the ****ing name, about how they were just "the Angels" and by not stating the city it wasn't a political move, and bla bla bla...

They're the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Yes, everyone knows that name is ridiculous and absurd. Just let them be the laughingstock of baseball in peace.

wdelaney72
05-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Anaheim should just do what Aurora did a number of years ago when I was still working in Naperville.

A new subdivison on the far east side of Aurora, right by Fox Valley Mall, was advertising themselves in the newspapers as being in Naperville. Aurora's mayor told them that if they thought they were in Naperville, they should see if Naperville would provide them with water service.

Wasn't that White Eagle? I remember that.

mjharrison72
05-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Would that be White Eagle?
Seriously... what's in a name? Are there seriously more people following the Angels now because they have LA in their name? Or less? Is attendance up or down? Are the games not still available to everyone in the LA metro area?
And I also agree with whoever pointed out that this is a vital issue for the California government to be debating.

ondafarm
05-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Hummer of Naperville was in Lisle actually. I believe they switched that under similiar pressure.

skobabe8
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
alot of angels fans were pretty upset during spring training, and even had t-shirts made up showing their displeasure. Considering they usually drew pretty good crowds in the past, i cant think that attendance would be up this year because of this name change.

Ol' No. 2
05-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Would that be White Eagle?
Seriously... what's in a name? Are there seriously more people following the Angels now because they have LA in their name? Or less? Is attendance up or down? Are the games not still available to everyone in the LA metro area?
And I also agree with whoever pointed out that this is a vital issue for the California government to be debating.No. White Eagle is in Naperville. It's another one adjacent to it, but I can't recall the name. The developer hoodwinked the USPS into assigning them a Naperville address even though it's within the Aurora city limits. And once the USPS assigns an address, they could actually be in Fairbanks, Alaska and the USPS won't change it.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2005, 12:26 AM
No. White Eagle is in Naperville. It's another one adjacent to it, but I can't recall the name. The developer hoodwinked the USPS into assigning them a Naperville address even though it's within the Aurora city limits. And once the USPS assigns an address, they could actually be in Fairbanks, Alaska and the USPS won't change it.I don't remember which specific subdivision it was. Lord knows that there are/were tons of them being built in southwest Naperville/east Aurora. White Eagle is actually split. Parts of it are in Naperville, parts in Aurora. It might well have been the Aurora part of White Eagle.

Kogs35
05-20-2005, 12:33 AM
something funny about the los angeles angels of anaheim in the orange county of the state of califorina

If he can do those deals, he argues, he can field a consistent winner while keeping ticket prices relatively low. The White Sox generated more revenue from ticket sales last season than the Angels, he said, even though the Angels sold 1.5 million more tickets.

thats the a articale in tomorow's la times http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-freeway20may20,0,6969789.story?page=1&coll=la-home-headlines

daveeym
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Uhm you are a cubs fan.

Also, being in a suburb and calling yourself by the big city doesn't bother me. Anaheim really isn't a suburb in that sense. As others mentioned it stands on it's own pretty well.

hose
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Come on it's only a name, why all the fuss? ..... Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is right up there with the Marquette Gold:whistle:

wdelaney72
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Here's the problem with the situation. The stadium was recently renovated for a large chunk of $$. As we all know, new stadium and large renovation projects are usually not paid for by the team. I'm sure in some capacity, the city of Anaheim assumed a considerable portion of the renovation expenses. With that, they should have their city name solely associated with the team.The city of Anaheim has every right to be ticked over the name LA Angels.

DetroitSoxFan
05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
My friend and I were saying one day that they should change their name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim And Absurd, Asinine Acronyms, or LAAAAAAA