PDA

View Full Version : 1st quarter report cards

maurice
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Per my usual MO, players are graded on a scale of 1-5, based on my subjective pre-season expectations. 5 = greatly exceeded my expectations, 4 = exceeded my expectations, 3 = met my expectations, 2 = didn’t meet my expectations, and 1 = much worse than I expected.

5 - Pierzynski - Blended in with the club better than expected. Excellent job handling pitchers. Weak D but good bat for a C.
5 - Iguchi - .313 AVE with 7 SB and solid D for our Japanese "rookie." Extremely valuable player so far.
5 - Podsednik - .285 AVE, .390 OBP, 21 BB, 24 SB in mid-May. If I typed these stats before the season started, they would’ve been in deeppink.
5 - Widger - Entered camp as the 4th catcher, then sent a high-paid vet to AAA. Works well with pitchers and has a .317 AVE, .866 OPS in limited action.
5 - Garland - "8-and-0" says it all. Anybody who calls him "Judy" deserves to be punched in the face.
5 - Hermanson - Hard to beat a 0.00 ERA.
5 - Politte - 1.17 ERA not too shabby either. Dominating with a 12.33 K:9 and 21:5 K:BB.

4 - Ozuna - Another guy who was a dark horse to make the roster. .269 AVE, .367 OBP, 3 SB in limited action all over the diamond.
4 - Harris - .289 AVE, .372 OBP, 5 BB, 3 SB in limited action.
4 - Buehrle - 6 and 1 with a 3.73 ERA and 1.04 WHIP qualifies as "better than expected."
4 - Hernandez - 5 and 1 with a 3.91 ERA is not unusual for him, but good health after 800+ pitches is a pleasant surprise.
4 - Contreras - Still refuses to throw strikes at times, but his 3.52 ERA is quite good, even if his record doesn’t show it.
4 - Marte - Struggled with his control at times, but still posting a 2.25 ERA and 11.25 K:9.
4 - Cotts - Despite all the bitching and moaning, his 3.86 ERA is very solid for a long reliever who allegedly sucks. Still needs to throw more strikes.

3 - Uribe - I’m a big fan, so my expectations were pretty high. He’s met them. Very good D and nice offensive production for a SS.
3 - Crede - Didn’t expect much. D still solid but his bat cooled off a lot lately. His .388 SLG is really bad for a low-OBP player with no speed.
3 - Rowand - As a long-time FOC, I’m happy with his production so far. He always starts cold and is really heating up in the 3-spot.
3 - Everett - He’s been up and down, but generally healthy. I figured he’d be hurt by now. Can’t complain about those 27 RBI.
3 - Garcia - 3 and 3 with a 4.02 ERA is consistent with my expectations. I suspect he’ll do better before the year is over.

2 - Takatsu - Please throw strikes early in the count. His 11.91 K:9 shows that batters still have lots of trouble when they’re behind in the count.
2 - Vizcaino - Either really good or really bad. ERA was trashed when he took one for the team several weeks ago.

1 - Konerko - His .196 AVE is not going to cut it. Despite 9 HR, his production with RiSP has been pathetic. Expect him to catch fire for a month before cooling off again, and finishing up around his career averages.
1 - Dye - His .385 SLG is worse than Crede’s, though he’s been looking darn good at the plate lately.
1 - Perez - He has shown nothing in too many chances so far.

Incomplete - Burke, Gload, and Walker.

SOXfnNlansing
05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I would agree with everything you've said, if you moved cotts down to 2 with vizzzzzz the fizzzzzzzz

doublem23
05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Cotts does suck. How many inherited runners does he let score?

Baby Fisk
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Give El Duque a five. He should have broken down and become a total bust weeks ago.

Paulwny
05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Give El Duque a five. He should have broken down and become a total bust weeks ago.

Yep, the one big ? in the rotation, how long can he go.

Very good evaluation Maurice.

ChicagoHoosier
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Not sure what everyone expected of AJ, but this is exactly what I expected with this signing. He actually was disappointing at the plate until the last couple of weeks. So, I would have rated him at a 3 until the last two weeks. Now I'd bump him to a 4 given the entire first 1/4 of the season, but not sure I'd say he's exceeding as much as Garland, Pods, or Gooch. Those three are GREATLY exceeding MY expectations.

Great thread! :gulp:

Cubsuck_a_lot
05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
"Garland - "8-and-0" says it all. Anybody who calls him "Judy" deserves to be punched in the face."

my favorite part. i hate those people with the fire of a thousand suns :angry:

i like to call him The Land of Gar.
lol not really

maurice
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Cotts hatred aside, there's no way that he's "failed to meet preseason expectations." He came into this season with a 6 ERA and a general consensus that he blows. His ERA this season is now down to 3.55. In 12.2 IP, he has given up only 10 hits and 12 Ks. That certainly exceeds my expectations so far.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
"Garland - "8-and-0" says it all. Anybody who calls him "Judy" deserves to be punched in the face."

my favorite part. i hate those people with the fire of a thousand suns :angry:

i like to call him The Land of Gar.
lol not really

I like to think of him as "The Judge."

:supernana:

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Per my usual MO, players are graded on a scale of 1-5, based on my subjective pre-season expectations. 5 = greatly exceeded my expectations, 4 = exceeded my expectations, 3 = met my expectations, 2 = didn’t meet my expectations, and 1 = much worse than I expected.

5 - Pierzynski - Blended in with the club better than expected. Excellent job handling pitchers. Weak D but good bat for a C.
5 - Iguchi - .313 AVE with 7 SB and solid D for our Japanese "rookie." Extremely valuable player so far.
5 - Podsednik - .285 AVE, .390 OBP, 21 BB, 24 SB in mid-May. If I typed these stats before the season started, they would’ve been in deeppink.
5 - Widger - Entered camp as the 4th catcher, then sent a high-paid vet to AAA. Works well with pitchers and has a .317 AVE, .866 OPS in limited action.
5 - Garland - "8-and-0" says it all. Anybody who calls him "Judy" deserves to be punched in the face.
5 - Hermanson - Hard to beat a 0.00 ERA.
5 - Politte - 1.17 ERA not too shabby either. Dominating with a 12.33 K:9 and 21:5 K:BB.

4 - Ozuna - Another guy who was a dark horse to make the roster. .269 AVE, .367 OBP, 3 SB in limited action all over the diamond.
4 - Harris - .289 AVE, .372 OBP, 5 BB, 3 SB in limited action.
4 - Buehrle - 6 and 1 with a 3.73 ERA and 1.04 WHIP qualifies as "better than expected."
4 - Hernandez - 5 and 1 with a 3.91 ERA is not unusual for him, but good health after 800+ pitches is a pleasant surprise.
4 - Contreras - Still refuses to throw strikes at times, but his 3.52 ERA is quite good, even if his record doesn’t show it.
4 - Marte - Struggled with his control at times, but still posting a 2.25 ERA and 11.25 K:9.
4 - Cotts - Despite all the bitching and moaning, his 3.86 ERA is very solid for a long reliever who allegedly sucks. Still needs to throw more strikes.

3 - Uribe - I’m a big fan, so my expectations were pretty high. He’s met them. Very good D and nice offensive production for a SS.
3 - Crede - Didn’t expect much. D still solid but his bat cooled off a lot lately. His .388 SLG is really bad for a low-OBP player with no speed.
3 - Rowand - As a long-time FOC, I’m happy with his production so far. He always starts cold and is really heating up in the 3-spot.
3 - Everett - He’s been up and down, but generally healthy. I figured he’d be hurt by now. Can’t complain about those 27 RBI.
3 - Garcia - 3 and 3 with a 4.02 ERA is consistent with my expectations. I suspect he’ll do better before the year is over.

2 - Takatsu - Please throw strikes early in the count. His 11.91 K:9 shows that batters still have lots of trouble when they’re behind in the count.
2 - Vizcaino - Either really good or really bad. ERA was trashed when he took one for the team several weeks ago.

1 - Konerko - His .196 AVE is not going to cut it. Despite 9 HR, his production with RiSP has been pathetic. Expect him to catch fire for a month before cooling off again, and finishing up around his career averages.
1 - Dye - His .385 SLG is worse than Crede’s, though he’s been looking darn good at the plate lately.
1 - Perez - He has shown nothing in too many chances so far.

Incomplete - Burke, Gload, and Walker.

Nice work Maurice, Thanks!!