PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox Blank Rangers Postgame thread

gosox83
05-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I just read that Konerko blasted one. Let me say that I know he has hurt us this year, but every time the guy goes bad he never makes excuses and does what he can to get out of it. I was at the game against Minnesota two years ago when he had been benched the previous week, and we were down by one run in the bottom of the 11th with 2 outs and Konerko pinch hit. The whole crowd was booing and leaving, while I was happy because I knew if he could rip it it my turn his season around and he did. The Sox went on to win that game the next inning and the rest is history. :D:

He turned that year around and then had a great year last year.

Don't give up the hope people!! KW should sign this guy A.S.A.P.

GO SOX!!! :D: :D: :D:

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
What's going on today?

Jermaine Dye: 3-3, 3 doubles.
Paul Konerko: 2-3, single and a home run (10th).

It's about time...heck, Jermaine is batting near the Jose Valentin line (~.210ish last year).

Correction -- .218 for Dye!

SOXSINCE'70
05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
What's going on today?

Jermain Dye: 3-3, 3 doubles.

It's about time...heck, Jermaine is batting near the Jose Valentin line (~.210ish last year).

Not after 3-3 with 3 doubles!!:D: :D:

Good to see Konerko go yard as well.

ondafarm
05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I'd like to see the Sox keep Konerko, if it can be had for a reasonable amount of money. He is replaceable, but not easily replaceable. He hasn't been doing his job yet this year, but he can carry the team for stretches.

chisox2005
05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
What has Paulie's April-May batting average been the last 3 or 4 years? I'm sure its somewhere around what he has been hitting this year. Weird how it takes him a little bit to come on.

chaz171
05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Dye is currently at a robust .218 avg

on the up and up!!!!

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Not after 3-3 with 3 doubles!!:D: :D:

Good to see Konerko go yard as well.

Isn't Mark Beuhrle something else?

Consistently good!

Patrick134
05-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Konerko has hurt us this year ?? He has 29 rbi , many of them huge. Could he hit for a higher average ? Yes, and he will. But to say he's "hurt" us this year is insane.

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 04:05 PM
What's going on today?

Two words: Warm weather. We are, unfortunately, a warm weather team. The weather this weekend is supposed to be warm. The Flubs should be scared. Very scared.

Irishsoxfan
05-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Make that 3 for 4 for Paulie tonight

Of course, when I say 'tonight' it is for me, damn time difference!

PicktoCLick72
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm making this prediction: Paulie will have a huge Scrubs series.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Nothing makes me happier than a Sox win. I'm even happier to congratulate Paulie and Dye on their great performances at the plate today!

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

seanpmurphy
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
:winner

Paulie Watch May 18th 3-4, 3 runs, 1 HR, 1 RBI

Stroker Ace
05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

Stroker Ace
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

doublem23
05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
:supernana:

Another series win!

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
This was nice.:D:

SouthSide4Life
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
well i was in school for the majority but listened to Paulie smash that homer and Dye with how many doubles?!?!

Rocky Soprano
:winner

Overall a great game. Great Pitching and Great Hitting!

Nice to see Konerko and Dye getting some good hits.

And what about AJ? :gulp:

DoggPhood
Good momentum going into the weekend.

Great lineup.

Great job by Konerko and Dye. And AJ, of course.

Now we need to go back to worrying about Crede.

CPditka
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Very nice game, Burly-mon, JD!!!, Cliff, and Cotts, and as always lately AJ.

SoxWillWin
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Buerhle gave up some hits but didn't let any of em cross the plate....GOOD JOB. Dye 3 doubles and another Dinger for AJ.

Nice seeing the middle of the lineup get it done for a change

Go Nanas Go

:bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance:

DoggPhood
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Once we add Frank... :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Baby Fisk
05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
We rule! :cool:

Nice to enter the next critical series on a roll. The middle of the order shows signs of getting hot just in time. A sweep this weekend would be... sweet!

(...but no more meaningful than any other three game series, of course :redface: )

pdimas
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey Bucky why don't you go get the mound measured again....

Hendu
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Wow...I hope this becomes a trend with the middle of the line-up. 5 RBI from the #4, 5 and 6 hitters.

I like AJ hitting 5th, especially with the way he's been killing the ball.

Taz
05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
What's going on today?

Maybe it's because the Sun is out?? Warming these guys up? :dunno:

ilsox7
Another series win. 2 out of 3. 2 out of 3. Let's keep doing it. It will allow us to run away with the division.

Kogs35
Burly!!!!!!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

PicktoCLick72
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Great game all around. Hopefully we have another 8 game winning streak coming our way.

JoseCanseco6969
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Burly!!!!!!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Great game! Too bad for my sake that he didnt get the PTC. Lets get those Flubs friday!!! GO FREDDY

mikehuff
05-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I've been waiting for one of these games. It's nice to sit back and feel in total control. Winning is contagious and I hope that rubs off on the other 3 pitchers who had sub par outtings last time.

SoxWillWin
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
The Flubs should be just what the doctor ordered for Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez to get back in the Win column.....

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Best line of the game, posted by somebody here on the live game thread:

"Who is that man wearing #14 and what has he done with Paul Konerko?"

*****... I just showed my boss that...

Now DANCE 'nanas, DANCE...

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

chisox
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
solid game. good d, solid hitting by the middle of the order. not bad at all.

SoxSpeed22
The Flubs should be just what the doctor ordered for Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez to get back in the Win column.....Let's just hope we don't do as bad in the 9th as the Pirates did the last two games against them.

voodoochile
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

:o:

SoxWillWin
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Just realized that of the teams 29 wins, Buerhle and Garland account for more than half of them.....WOW.

halfpricemonday
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Great game all around. Hopefully we have another 8 game winning streak coming our way.

Considering that would coincide nicely with a Flubs 3 game losing streak, I'd take that any day of the week. :smile:

SOXfnNlansing
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I still like the aggressiveness on the base paths. Keeping pressure on the other team has been advantageous for US. Today we got cs twice and picked off once. This team really did some good hitting today. I just hope we keep being aggressive even in games that aren't close. Hats off to AJ, DJ, PK, and JUAN for key hitting and Buehrle for another outstanding performance. I just love when Polite comes in and shuts the door. cotts really scares me; I hope cotts and vizzz the fizzz miss the bus this weekend.

MRKARNO
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
:):):):):)

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Good win today!

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance::bandance:

shaunburnette
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
The Meter is Down!

Paulwny
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Another great pitching performance
Good sign-- hitting by the middle of the order
Good sign-- winning a day game which we had problems doing in previous yrs.

daveeym
05-18-2005, 05:07 PM
:bandance: Nice all around game guys. Let's get this thread to 500. :wink:

ChicagoHoosier
05-18-2005, 05:08 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Cubs are just another bad team, like the others we've eaten up this year. I expect no less than 2/3 and potentially a sweep. Let's ride this wave!!!

SoxFan48
05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
We are starting to see a lot of pickoffs and caught stealings. Are success rate has moved from 80% range down to 69%. Guys like Uribe and Everett who get caught stealing more than they succeed have no business stealing bases.

By the way, our opponets are 34 for 43 in stolen bases, a 79% rate.

mdep524
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Great win boys. Buehrle and Garland: combined 15-1. :bandance: :bandance:

The Sox are going to run into some goood pitching this weekend, so it would sure be nice to see Dye and Paulie produce like they did today! Aaron and AJ are locked in right now. :gulp:

SoxWillWin
05-18-2005, 05:20 PM
We are starting to see a lot of pickoffs and caught stealings. Are success rate has moved from 80% range down to 69%. Guys like Uribe and Everett who get caught stealing more than they succeed have no business stealing bases.

The more you attempt something the more you succeed and fail. I agree everett shouldn't attempt to steal a base, but there are things like blown hit and runs that cause this. As for Uribe, he's fast enough to steal bases, he just has trouble reading the pitchers movements. I personally don't mind all the running, it puts pressure on the pitcher and the defense and can lead to mistakes. It's a calculated risk that I personally think is worth it.

NorthlakeTom
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Just realized that of the teams 29 wins, Buerhle and Garland account for more than half of them.....WOW.

Buehrle and Garland have as many or more wins than seven TEAMS.

NorthlakeTom
05-18-2005, 05:27 PM

The Rangers' catcher has thrown out something like 12 out of 20. He is not easy to run on.

NorthlakeTom
05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh, and as far as running away with the division goes; the Twins are closer to fourth place Cleveland than they are to the Sox.

Infallible
05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Dye sucks, can you believe he fouled out to first base when we needed him most?

goodsy72
05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
This team is just unbelievable !!! Somebody different seems to step up and be the hero any given night. Alot of guys may be scuffling at different times but someone always seems to rise to the ocassion weather its on offense, defense, or our great pitching. That's the mark of a good TEAM !! Right now there are no real superstars, although I don't think were going to fly under the radar with Burlymon or Jon Boy much longer. Those two are really taking off. This 2005 run so far has been been amazing. Truly a blessed time to be a White Sox fan, and the fun part is We've Only Just Begun !! :gulp:Here's one to long hot summer nights and White Sox winners.

Oh yeah DANCE BABY DANCE !!! :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: and

Sweep Those Bitches On The North Side !!!:cool:

SoxWillWin
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM

Percent of success shouldn't be the issue....how many of the stolen bases turned into runs. Podsednik already has more SB's so far than the whole team had last year. How many times have Sox runners scored after stealing a base???? How many of the opponents Runners? The answers to these questions are the true determining factors to succesful stolen bases......

ExpoPuddingHead
05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm just wondering but who else has been suprised by A.J's offense. I know that until last year he hit at .300 consistantly but he already has 7 homers this year and hasn't ever hit over 20 in a season. Him and Iguchi were amazing offseason pickups by KW.

dcb33
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM

It may seem like a problem that we are getting picked off and caught stealing as much as we are, but that's only because we're attempting more steals and being more aggresive than everyone else on the basepaths. We are actually above average compared to the other 29 teams when it comes to stealing bases successfully:

Going into today's action, the Sox were 48/67 in successful stolen base attempts for a SB% of 72.

The other 29 teams added together are 586/855 in successful stolen base attempts this year for an average SB% of 69.

seanpmurphy
05-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Dye sucks, can you believe he fouled out to first base when we needed him most?

Yeah he really let us down today with 3 doubles, 2 RBI, and a run scored.

The Racehorse
05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Terrific job all around by the fellas today. :cool:

I bet Ozzie really enjoyed winning the series clincher via the shutout considering Buck Showalter is one of his favorite opposing managers. :D:

Btw, while watching today's game on MLB.TV, Hawk paraphrased an Ozzie quote saying "if you want to see another museum, go to Wrigley Field." :rolling:

GO SOX!!!

:supernana:

SoxFan48
05-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Percent of success shouldn't be the issue....how many of the stolen bases turned into runs. Podsednik already has more SB's so far than the whole team had last year. How many times have Sox runners scored after stealing a base???? How many of the opponents Runners? The answers to these questions are the true determining factors to succesful stolen bases......

An out is the most precious commodity in offensive baseball and you do not easily give up an out. How many stolen bases turned into runs? Well, we could go back and check the box scores. And then we must ask how many caught stealing or picked off base choked off potential runs scored.

The statistical work on stolen bases is complete and tells us that a success rate in the higher 70's is necessary to justify the outs from caught stealing. It is fact whether you agree or not.

SoxFan48
05-18-2005, 06:14 PM
It may seem like a problem that we are getting picked off and caught stealing as much as we are, but that's only because we're attempting more steals and being more aggresive than everyone else on the basepaths. We are actually above average compared to the other 29 teams when it comes to stealing bases successfully:

Going into today's action, the Sox were 48/67 in successful stolen base attempts for a SB% of 72.

The other 29 teams added together are 586/855 in successful stolen base attempts this year for an average SB% of 69.

...and that is what counts.

Jurr
05-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm just wondering but who else has been suprised by A.J's offense. I know that until last year he hit at .300 consistantly but he already has 7 homers this year and hasn't ever hit over 20 in a season. Him and Iguchi were amazing offseason pickups by KW.
AJ said it best. Many of the shots he's been hitting would've been doubles off the wall in Minnesota and San Francisco. He's loving the short porches. A lot of us said before the season he'd probably hit 20 homers or more this year. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Jurr
05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
An out is the most precious commodity in offensive baseball and you do not easily give up an out. How many stolen bases turned into runs? Well, we could go back and check the box scores. And then we must ask how many caught stealing or picked off base choked off potential runs scored.

The statistical work on stolen bases is complete and tells us that a success rate in the higher 70's is necessary to justify the outs from caught stealing. It is fact whether you agree or not.
Podsednik is consistently turning singles into doubles and triples with his base stealing. How many times in the past years has it taken an out to get the guy over to second because he couldn't steal a base? How many of those instances did the sacrifice guy end up unable to get the runner over? I'll take these easy RISP any day. The other thing Hawk said today: Aaron and other players are picking Pods' brain about how to approach stealing bases. Let's hope the SB's are going to rub off up and down the whole lineup.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-18-2005, 06:26 PM
29!!!! 29!!!! Awsome win over the rangers to take the series. BRING ON THE SCRUBS
How i would love to slaughter them at the urinal

NDSox12
05-18-2005, 06:27 PM

Umm... I basically agree with what you are saying, but stating this as a FACT is a little much. There is no "statistical work" that is ever "complete" when it comes to baseball since the game is constantly changing.

Having said that, I do agree that the team (and individual players) need to be able to steal over 70% to make it worthwhile and productive to run.

Paulwny
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
The other thing Hawk said today: Aaron and other players are picking Pods' brain about how to approach stealing bases. Let's hope the SB's are going to rub off up and down the whole lineup.

That doesn't say much about the teaching ability of our coaching staff.

StrTrkker
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Great win today. Good to see Paulie & Jermaine break out of their funk. Lets hope they can continue with a great series against the Scrubs this weekend. And...AJ is doing way above what most of us thought he would offensively.

Lets face it...we have a heckuva team on the south side and its gonna be a great summer in White Sox land.

:supernana: Dance Banana Dance

LongLiveFisk
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Podsednik is consistently turning singles into doubles and triples with his base stealing. How many times in the past years has it taken an out to get the guy over to second because he couldn't steal a base?

Damn straight...I got sick of us needing 4 hits to get 1 run!

Now, let's hope the "L" flag is flying high on the North Side after Friday's game and STAYS UP ALL WEEKEND!! GO SOX!! :gulp:

elrod
05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Just came back from the game with my two boys. Tadahito hit a ground ball foul down the first base line and the security man was kind enough to give the ball to my son! It was just a beautiful day at the ballpark. Buehrle struggled in the first two innings, but because there were two outs before any of the runners got on, it didn't seem like anything would happen. The AJ pickoff was frustrating at the time because he would have scored on a sac fly that inning. But once the Sox went up 4-0, the game was basically over. The Rangers never really threatened again until the 8th, when Politte shut them down. Oh, and the Fundamentals deck is beautiful. The kids had a ton of fun racing against Podsednik and hitting the tee. My son (3 yrs old) has now seen Buehrle pitch three times, and the Sox won all of them. (Unfortunately he also witnessed the Twins Hunter-drilling-Burke game and a horrible Danny Wright loss to the Devil Rays).

A. Cavatica
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Podsednik isn't the issue, since he steals at a rate high enough to justify it. He should run wild. It's those other guys who should be chained to first.

BRDSR
05-18-2005, 07:27 PM
:bandance: Nice all around game guys. Let's get this thread to 500. :wink:

Looks like we're gonna come up juuuuuuuuust a bit short.

Was only able to listen to the first half or so of todays game but after getting the recap I'm real enthused. This is exactly the type of game I needed to convince myself that it would be worthwhile to head down to Wrigley on Friday and scalp a ticket(extras anyone? PM me).

I think this is a big game for Freddy Garcia. He's scuffled his last two times out and he's not supposed to. Scuffling needs to be reserved for the Cubans, and they've also scuffled their last few starts. I want to see Garcia turn it around and kick some Cubbie butt this weekend while reminding himself what it takes to pitch effectively.

Someone mentioned earlier that Garland and Buerhle have more wins than 7 teams. Thats absolutely amazing. How about Garland and Buerhle as the one-two punch on the National League up in Detroit in a coupla months? Man does that sound sweet.

Sox of White
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
29!!!! 29!!!! Awsome win over the rangers to take the series. BRING ON THE SCRUBS
How i would love to slaughter them at the urinal

Word. Taking them down and shutting them up would be sweet.

delben91
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Only got to "watch" on GameCast. Sounds like Buehrle had his moments, but 7+ shutout innings is the bottom line on that one.

2 out of three in the series sounds good to these ears. Now bring on the Cubs!

Lip Man 1
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Very nice win.
Now on to the urinal, with a hostile crowd and the pitcher having to bat. Just don't get swept like last year guys!

Lip

Jjav829
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Konerko and Dye 3-4? :thud::D:

Let's hope this is the spark they need to both start hitting the ball well. Maybe Dye can see Everett taking away playing time, and Konerko, well Ross Gload's return can't be far away! He fears the Gloadinator!

Whitesox029
05-18-2005, 08:58 PM
What's going on today?

Jermaine Dye: 3-3, 3 doubles.

Even more impressive is Rowand who's up to a respectable .279. Go A-Row!

FarWestChicago
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
The statistical work on stolen bases is complete and tells us that a success rate in the higher 70's is necessary to justify the outs from caught stealing. It is fact whether you agree or not.If I were you, I would worry more about your A's. They really suck. :o:

mike squires
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Went to the park for the first time since last summer. My brother was visiting from Florida. My Dad wussed out on us and said he wasn't going this morning. We were not happy. WE got bleacher seats and ended up paying 15 bucks extra and sat on the patio in right field. Nice game. I caught a t-shirt, was turned down from Hershiser for an autograph. Nice day at the ol' yard!

flo-B-flo
05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Cubs are just another bad team, like the others we've eaten up this year. I expect no less than 2/3 and potentially a sweep. Let's ride this wave!!! This is what I think. Fatten up on the lesser and split with the better. The c--- are the latest speed bump thats going to get run over.

TDog
05-19-2005, 12:33 AM

What's that they say about lies, damned lies and statistics?

If you win a game 7-0 when you're 0 for 3 in steal attempts the day after you win 5-2 and you're 2 for 2, you're 2 for 5 -- 40 percent successful. Yet stolen bases were a definite factor in your winning the night before and getting caught didn't hurt you today.

Go figure.

Also, am I the only one who notice the Rangers were held to 3 runs in 24 innings after scoring 6 runs in their first 3 innings in Chicago?

SOXfnNlansing
05-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm still up past midnight on a work night! I'm listening to the Bangles, drinking Bud Light, and I don't care :) GOOOOO SOXXXXXXXXXX!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

samram
05-19-2005, 01:34 AM
If I were you, I would worry more about your A's. They really suck. :o:

Oddly enough, the Sox are first in MLB in stolen bases and 10th in runs, while SoxFan48's A's are last in SBs and 29th in runs. That certainly could be a case of correlation not implying causation, but when you see that the Sox are 20th in batting average, the stolen bases are certainly helping the Sox score more runs.

SoxWillWin
05-19-2005, 02:01 AM

So from your point of view having an 80 percent success rate with none of those stolen bases scoring is better than a 69 percent success rate with 50 percent of those scoring............hmmmm..........interesting way of running a team, maybe you should apply I hear Kansas City is looking for a Manager.

doublem23
05-19-2005, 02:10 AM

That's not even close to being a fact. It's an assumption made by men with spreadsheets and TI-89s. The only real facts in baseball is that you get 3 strikes and 4 balls per at bat and 3 outs an inning. Everything else is left to pure speculation and analysis depending on the team you've got laid in front of you.

Vince
05-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Steals:

Podsednik - 24 out of 29 attempts(83%)
Iguchi - 7 out of 9 attempts (77%)
Rowand - 6 out of 8 attempts (75%)

I say those three should have a greenlight all the time. Probably Ozuna, too, and maybe, maybe Harris if he can get his head together and learn how to read a pitcher.

Anyone else I say don't bother.

dcb33
05-19-2005, 10:26 AM
...and that is what counts.

What counts most is our MLB best 29-12 record, and our aggressiveness on the basepaths is one of the reasons why we've started so well. We may get caught stealing a lot, but since we do it more often than everyone else we'll still be disrupting opposing pitching and creating situations in which we can easily manufacture runs more than the other teams we play, and that gives us a big advantage.