PDA

View Full Version : Even the Wall Street Journal is recognizing the WS

FanofBill
05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111642517144236912-3LlOG_SdEuOs8gNNyyV672zsTvQ_20060518,00.html?mod=t ff_main_tff_top
Chicago White Sox fans have said a lot of bad things about Jon Garland over the years: Surfer boy. Self-satisfied. Complacent. No heart.

Now, they're saying something quite different -- and a lot nicer. Mr. Garland, helped by an acerbic pep talk from catcher A. J. Pierzynski, beat the Texas Rangers, 5-2, to become the big leagues' first eight-game winner of 2005.

"Garland is as legitimate as his 8-0 record, as real as his 10-game winning streak over two seasons," Jay Mariotti writes (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html) in the Chicago Sun-Times. "If he always had natural ability, the wicked repertoire and the imposing 6-5 build, he now appears to have mastered the mental game. The All-Star Game is still seven weeks away, but barring a meltdown, you're looking at the AL starter."

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark spotlights (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2058986) the much-improved White Sox rotation as the first of his unforeseen positives for 2005. "[F]or any rotation to be pitching this well would be major news," he writes. "For a rotation that returned four of five starters from the third-worst group in the league, it's the story of the season so far."

And it's provoked mutterings of skullduggery: Both the Rangers and the Baltimore Orioles have demanded the White Sox' mound be measured, suspecting that the Pale Hose have made a mountain out of a well, you get the idea. (It's proved legal both times.)

halfpricemonday
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
And it's provoked mutterings of skullduggery: Both the Rangers and the Baltimore Orioles have demanded the White Sox' mound be measured, suspecting that the Pale Hose have made a mountain out of a well, you get the idea. (It's proved legal both times.)

The one thing I don't get about this...last I checked, the away team pitches on the same mound. Unless the Sodfather has an intricate hydraulic system underneath the infield that adjusts the mound between innings, why all the sudden interest in our mound?

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
The one thing I don't get about this...last I checked, the away team pitches on the same mound. Unless the Sodfather has an intricate hydraulic system underneath the infield that adjusts the mound between innings, why all the sudden interest in our mound?

Whining.

Tekijawa
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM

The man is good, I wouldn't put it past him!

Corlose 15
05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm...the Rangers whining about how the Sox are winning. This all sounds so familiar. :D: