PDA

View Full Version : Almost a KW Blunder

The Anti-Cub
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Our current GM traded John Garland for Darrin Erstad in 2002. Thankfully, Disney overruled the GM of the Angels and rejected the trade. On two fronts this would have been bad: we would be minus the best pitcher in Major League Baseball, and also Aaron Rowand would be on the back burner. Since Erstad would be occupying center, Aaron might never have had his chance. I will never understand KW's obsession with Darrin Erstad.

FanofBill
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
The best trade that never happened. And you know what, if it happened then most of us would have said it were a good move until now. Can't blame KW for something that didn't happen. And I am glad it didn't happen.

soltrain21
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Or maybe we would have won back to back World Series titles. You never know. I am glad the trade didn't happen, but its impossible to predict what would have happen if it did.

doublem23
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Three years of hindsight really makes it easy to determine which moves should have and shouldn't have been made in 2003?

Give me a break. :rolleyes: The man assembled the best team in baseball, so all the KW haters need to shut the **** up.

Brian26
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Our current GM traded John Garland for Darrin Erstad in 2002. Thankfully, Disney overruled the GM of the Angels and rejected the trade. On two fronts this would have been bad: we would be minus the best pitcher in Major League Baseball, and also Aaron Rowand would be on the back burner. Since Erstad would be occupying center, Aaron might never have had his chance. I will never understand KW's obsession with Darrin Erstad.

I can see how this point would be relevent if Garland's breakout season had occurred directly after the vetoed trade, say in 2002. However, this happened so long ago, it's not even really relevent to discuss. The time-space continuum has been altered in too many other ways since then to even put this in perspective. Garland has been mediocre, at best, for the past three seasons. Rowand wasn't out everyday centerfielder until 2004 (remember Everett was playing CF in 2003 down the stretch). Erstad switched to first base in 2004 and would not have been our CF. I'm ecstatic that Garland is 8-0 and has been dominant so far, so don't get me wrong, but there's no payoff in even talking about something that happened over 3 years ago.

TDog
05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
If Sox had traded Garland, they wouldn't have traded three pitchers for Todd Ritchie. KW wasn't going to give up Kip Wells if he had given up Garland. At least that's what I read at the time.

In truth, I was glad not to lose Garland at the time. I have been expecting him to pitch like this for years, but being a White Sox fan, I am used to being disappointed.

Really, you don't know how things would have come out.

balke
05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
The trade didn't happen. It would suck to be the guy who DID actually trade Garland when he was your teams 1st overall pick. For the past couple season's, Kenny could've gotten away with trading Garland. Our fans weren't liking him.

I hate looking back at trades. There's a million other things that could've happened. No Everett, perhaps Rauch or Ring develop well here... perhaps we trade for good pitching Prospects or draft picks. Who cares?

We have so many good players here. Enjoy winning, give the GM more respect. He obviously knows what he's doing, or we'd be stuck in a race for 3rd in our division like everyone predicted.

Stroker Ace
05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
You can't say that that Garland would have pitched the way he is pitching now even if he were traded to Anaheim in 2002. Maybe he would have just fallen into obscurity if he were traded. The point is that no one will ever know how the trade would have effected both teams because in never happened.

Flight #24
05-18-2005, 01:43 PM
If you really want to blame KW for something he wanted to do but couldn't, then you should give credit for him wanting to trade Magglio for Nomar and then turn around and deal Valentin for Garcia. If those happen, the Sox win the division in 2004, IMO. A full year of Freddy and a half-season from Nomar, combined with Jeremy Reed being able to spell the Borchard/Timo/Gload experience in the OF.

Of course, then, when Frank went down, Larry Walker and/or Carlos Delgado might have agreed to come to the south side, that was another KW plan.

Isn't speculation fun?

Iguana775
05-18-2005, 02:10 PM

That popped in my head over lunch when i was watching the Angels/Injun. WTG, Disney! lol

pudge
05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Many of us thought this would have been a horrible move at the time. But saying it would have been horrible three years after the fact simply doesn't hold water.