PDA

View Full Version : The "Bad Side" of Garland's 8-0...

WhiteSoxFan84
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I've been a little too busy enjoying this season and haven't really had time to think about the future. And last night, it hit me, isn't Jon Garland a free agent after this year? Now, whether he's arbitration eligible or an unrestricted FA, I do not know. But I do know he does not have a contract for 2006 and beyond. With his current amazing start and, who knows, what could be an amazing year, will the Sox be forced to give this guy a bigger contract than they should?

IMO, if he finishes the year around 18-7 with a 3.25 ERA, or better, he deserves a one-year deal worth around $5-6 million. This would be the kind of contract that says, "You did a great job in 2005, if you repeat in 2006, we will give you a long term contract that pays well". I remember the Cardinals did that with Albert Pujols when they gave him a one-year, $600,000 deal after his rookie (or was it 2nd year?) year. During that year, he was rewarded with a 7 year deal worth around $100 million.

What do you guys think?

Blueprint1
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I think I want him to have the best year he can. If we go deep in the playoff because of Garland I am not going to worry about his contract.

Sox of White
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I think I want him to have the best year he can. If we go deep in the playoff because of Garland I am not going to worry about his contract.

Especially considering Kenny's "win now" strategy. Let's just worry about next year in the offseason.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about this. Kenny will do the right thing.

MIgrenade
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I trust that KW knows what he's doing and I think that means trying to give him a one year deal to ensure success. I think they did that with Loaiza after his 21 win season so I don't see why things would be different.

Rocky Soprano
05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I trust that KW knows what he's doing and I think that means trying to give him a one year deal to ensure success. I think they did that with Loaiza after his 21 win season so I don't see why things would be different.

I believe Loaiza had a team option for the second year which the Sox picked up.

MIgrenade
05-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I believe Loaiza had a team option for the second year which the Sox picked up.

Fair enough.

owensmouth
05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I trust that KW knows what he's doing and I think that means trying to give him a one year deal to ensure success. I think they did that with Loaiza after his 21 win season so I don't see why things would be different.The Sox had an option year for 3 million and they picked it up. If you give Garland a one year contract, you'll be paving the road for the Dodgers and/or the Angels to pick Garland up.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I think we have a good thing going on THIS YEAR. Let's worry about next year......next year. Let Cub fans contemplate next year already.

tebman
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about this. Kenny will do the right thing.
I agree. KW had the right instincts (or knew more than we gave him credit for) in not signing Magglio during Magg's bizarre off-season World Medical Tour.

balke
05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree. KW had the right instincts (or knew more than we gave him credit for) in not signing Magglio during Magg's bizarre off-season World Medical Tour.

Not to mention Colon. Garland will want more money than Loaiza I'll bet, but hopefully far less than Colon wanted. We'll cross this bridge when we come to it. Winning now is what we want.

Goose
05-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Winning now is what we want.

Winning now is the only thing that MATTERS.

Iguana775
05-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I say if he is still hot at the break, KW needs to sign him to a min. 3 year deal. i could live with a burly/garcia type contract.

shoota
05-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I've been a little too busy enjoying this season and haven't really had time to think about the future. And last night, it hit me, isn't Jon Garland a free agent after this year? Now, whether he's arbitration eligible or an unrestricted FA, I do not know. But I do know he does not have a contract for 2006 and beyond. With his current amazing start and, who knows, what could be an amazing year, will the Sox be forced to give this guy a bigger contract than they should?

IMO, if he finishes the year around 18-7 with a 3.25 ERA, or better, he deserves a one-year deal worth around $5-6 million. This would be the kind of contract that says, "You did a great job in 2005, if you repeat in 2006, we will give you a long term contract that pays well". I remember the Cardinals did that with Albert Pujols when they gave him a one-year, $600,000 deal after his rookie (or was it 2nd year?) year. During that year, he was rewarded with a 7 year deal worth around $100 million.

What do you guys think?

I believe I read a month ago that all five of our current starters are Sox property through 2006.

MisterB
05-19-2005, 06:06 PM
I believe I read a month ago that all five of our current starters are Sox property through 2006.

That is correct. Garland is a FA after '06.

Ol' No. 2
05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Garland is arbitration eligible next year. It will never get to arbitration. They'll sign him to a deal. Book it.

samram
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I say if he is still hot at the break, KW needs to sign him to a min. 3 year deal. i could live with a burly/garcia type contract.

Buehrle and Garcia don't have similar contracts other than their being three years. Freddy's making quite a bit more. He also has to pitch at this level for more than one half of a season before the team can give him a contract based on the type of results he's getting right now. They'll deal with this after this season and, as Ol' No. 2 states, they'll have him signed by the start of next season.

Iguana775
05-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Buehrle and Garcia don't have similar contracts other than their being three years. Freddy's making quite a bit more. He also has to pitch at this level for more than one half of a season before the team can give him a contract based on the type of results he's getting right now. They'll deal with this after this season and, as Ol' No. 2 states, they'll have him signed by the start of next season.

never said they were. a contract similar to EITHER garcia or burly.

cwsox
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM

What do you guys think?

I think you need to think about what you think about.

If JG goes 18-7, he is going 10-7 the rest of the way - do you want that?

I want JG to go 40-0 including post season.

Won't happen but I prefer to hope for our pitchers to win, not lose.

PAPChiSox729
05-19-2005, 09:54 PM
I think you need to think about what you think about.

If JG goes 18-7, he is going 10-7 the rest of the way - do you want that?

I want JG to go 40-0 including post season.

Won't happen but I prefer to hope for our pitchers to win, not lose.

I don't think the original WhiteSoxFan84 is hoping that Garland will loose 7 games or go 10-7. I'm sure he would love to see Garland go 40-0. He is just worried that the Sox may overpay him because of one breakout year. IMO, just enjoy it while you can.

:D:

samram
05-19-2005, 10:15 PM
never said they were. a contract similar to EITHER garcia or burly.

Ah, got ya now.

soxfan26
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
I've been a little too busy enjoying this season and haven't really had time to think about the future. What do you guys think?

I think you should just keep enjoying it while you can, let KW worry about bringing JG back.

MHOUSE
05-20-2005, 02:08 AM
IIRC we signed Garland to a 2 or 3 year deal in the offseason that, at the time, a lot of people were unhappy with paying a .500 pitcher a couple million. With the big money that Benson, Lowe, Pavano, Wright, Clement, etc. got this offseason, Garland is a STEAL over any of them at the moment.

seanpmurphy
05-20-2005, 02:55 AM
Right now this season there is no "bad side" to Garland being 8-0. I agree with just about everyone here. Let's let KW worry about the contracts and stuff like that. We as fans need to be concerned about celebrating a winning team that just might have the right....what's that stuff? :wink: