PDA

View Full Version : D-Train? Who Dat?

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 08:33 AM
I was reading the Sportsline forums that followed the Dontrelle Willis love-fest story, and could help but respond to the following idiot who has been hypnotized by the ESPN mediots. His post is as follows:

Posted by purpleguy5
May 18, 9:09 am I am not sure of this, but isn't Garland Chicago's #4 starter? It's not like he is going up against the ace of the other teams staff, like Willis and Santana.

This guy needs to stop watching Baseball Tonight and their shilling for D-Train.

Last time I checked, Santana got rocked last night!

Thoughts?

nasox
05-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Too many idiots out their for me to care anymore.

soltrain21
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
The only time he has had an average outing was in Toronto. Up to this point he would have beat any pitcher in the league.

TDog
05-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Posted by purpleguy5
May 18, 9:09 am I am not sure of this, but isn't Garland Chicago's #4 starter? It's not like he is going up against the ace of the other teams staff, like Willis and Santana.

This guy needs to stop watching Baseball Tonight and their shilling for D-Train.

Thoughts?

The fact that Garland pitched the fifth game of the season for the Sox (defining him as the fifth starter) doesn't mean he goes up against other teams' fifth starters any time out. Many teams skip their fifth starter when off days give them the opportunity, for one thing. At this point in the season, the Sox have played three more games than the Twinks, so obviously schedules don't line up. Where he started in the Sox rotation is irrelevant. Tuesday night, Garland would have faced Santana if the Sox had been playing the Twinks. He would have faced Willis if the Sox had been playing the Marlins.

Did purpleguy5 bother to notice that Garland's first win was against Radke, who started for the Twinks on opening day?

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
The fact that Garland pitched the fifth game of the season for the Sox (defining him as the fifth starter) doesn't mean he goes up against other teams' fifth starters any time out. Many teams skip their fifth starter when off days give them the opportunity, for one thing. At this point in the season, the Sox have played three more games than the Twinks, so obviously schedules don't line up. Where he started in the Sox rotation is irrelevant. Tuesday night, Garland would have faced Santana if the Sox had been playing the Twinks. He would have faced Willis if the Sox had been playing the Marlins.

Did purpleguy5 bother to notice that Garland's first win was against Radke, who started for the Twinks on opening day?

We think alike. Check out my response to him:

Garland is the fifth starter.

Chicago's rotation goes like this:

Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, and Garland.

It doesn't matter what order in the rotation Garland is pitching. You cannot attribute his wins to pitching in the fifth spot. He can pitch in the first or fifth spot. The reason he is winning, and will keep on winning, is that he is more aggressive with his pitches, has adopted Buerhle's "fast game" philosophy, has his slider figured out, and is throwing for strikes. Not to mention the fact that he is confident, poised, and pitching out of tough jams and pressure situations that would make any staff ace shudder. For a great example of this, watch video of his strikeout of Miguel Tejada last Thursday night when the Sox beat the Orioles 3-2. There were two men on with a 3-2 count to Tejada. Take a look at the confidence in his face during his pitch sequence to Tejada. It was golden.

I love the headline for their article:
It'll take more than one loss to derail Dontrelle-mania

When Garland finally loses one, the headline will be:
Garland suffers big first loss - Can Chicago recover?

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
One more thing for the fanboy who wrote that about Willis:

He's the #4 starter for the Marlins, so his point is moot.

34 Inch Stick
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I always thought pitchers faced an opposing teams batters. The Orioles, Rangers and Tigers all have impressive lineups.

chaerulez
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
I was reading the Sportsline forums that followed the Dontrelle Willis love-fest story, and could help but respond to the following idiot who has been hypnotized by the ESPN mediots. His post is as follows:

Posted by purpleguy5

Thoughts?

Willis opened the season as the #4 starter for the Marlins, the rotation opened with Beckett, Leiter, Burnett and then Willis. Whoever this guy is, he is a complete moron.

Cowhead418
05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I always thought pitchers faced an opposing teams batters. The Orioles, Rangers and Tigers all have impressive lineups.
This furthers how dumb this excuse for Garland winning is. You don't really face the other pitcher, you face their BATTERS. Garland has faced some good lineups and only has one bad start in eight. If you look at the lineups Willis has faced, they all suck. When he finally faced a good lineup he tanked.

Sox of White
05-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Exactly. Pitchers face BATTERS, not other pitchers. Garland faced some of the hottest hitting teams in the AL, and shut them down. It does not matter who was pitching on the other end. Solid ERA, and a couple complete game shutouts in a row! It is not like he is giving up 5 runs only for the Sox to score 10 runs on a crappy pitcher. He is shutting down teams, period.

elrod
05-18-2005, 10:41 PM
The #5 hold is as likely to face the #1 as anybody else after the first week of the season. The Sox have played 41 games - many other teams have played 36, 37, 38 or 39 games. That means our 41st game was against another team's 37th, so the #5 might go against the #1. And most have had off-days scheduled at different times than the White Sox. Oh, and many teams skip their #5 on an off-day. So what the hell is the point of comparing head-to-heads this late in the season? Stupid.

JB98
05-18-2005, 11:17 PM

Garland also beat Zito, one of the ESPN darlings.

balke
05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Willis opened the season as the #4 starter for the Marlins, the rotation opened with Beckett, Leiter, Burnett and then Willis. Whoever this guy is, he is a complete moron.

This is exactly the point that I would make. Willis is a #4, and spot in rotation doesn't always matter. I think Kruk has already dismissed Garland as a Cy Young candidate because he's a #5. People need to be slapped sometimes.

SoxEd
05-19-2005, 02:02 PM
No, purpleguy5 must be right - I mean, you just have to wonder how Garland keeps on getting those Wins, what with his crappy 2.41 ERA.

Oy vey...