PDA

View Full Version : Amatuer stadium operations?

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I was at the game last night (5-17) and it seemed like it was amatuer hour at Comiskey for stadium operations. The out-of-town scoreboard initially had the Mets playing the Reds and the Mariners. The split squad game was corrected to show the Yankees were playing the Mariners. During the game, the left field scoreboard which shows the current batter's stats at least once flashed the wrong player (Dye's information came up instead of Everrett's). The stadium announcer was not our belvoed Gene Honda. Instead it was some guy who sounded like he a bit too much coffee in his system and sounded like he was introducing the winner of "American Idol" each time a Sox batter came up. Then there was his announcing Dilluci coming up to bat when it was Sandy Alomar (he quickly corrected himself).

Good thing the Rangers did not hit any home runs.

Was the regular crew sent to Washington to testify about steroid abuse?

Chez
05-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I was there last night too and the PA announcer sounded like Brian Dolgin.

ChiSoxGirl
05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I was there last night too and the PA announcer sounded like Brian Dolgin.

The P.A. announcer was none other than Tom Schaer. He's been known to fill in for Gene Honda on occasion, most often during the NCAA Final Four. I'm so not a fan of him, particularly when he announced the wrong batter for Texas in an inning yesterday! I wonder where Gene Honda was....

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Why do they have Tom Shaer do the PA when GH is not there? Shaer was there Opening Day, and he made me want to hide under the covers. Whenever Gene Honda cannot do the PA, why don't they bring in Bulls/UIC PA man Steve Scott or Loyola PA man Pat Schultz? Both of them are far more qualified than Tom Shaer.

Cat Thief
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
I thought it was just me.

1) Old promotions being advertised on the 3rd base line ribbon board (or whatever you want to call it)

2) They showed Soriano's picture sideways on the big screen.

3) The Sandy Alomar thing was really bad.

I read that Gene Honda's dad was being presented some kind of reward by Mayor Daley tonight. Maybe he took the night off to share that occasion with his pops.

At least we had a White Sox winner!!!!!

jackbrohamer
05-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Yup, according to the Sun Times Honda "was not on the microphone Tuesday because his father, Ben Honda, was being honored by Mayor Daley at the Asian Pacific-American Heritage Reception for achievements in Chicago architecture."

dickallen15
05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Tom Shaer is the worst PA guy I have ever heard. About the 10th time I heard "Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls", I started looking for Wizzo and Cookie. I thought I was at Bozo's Circus. Then he kept saying ,"the next batter for the visiting Texas Rangers.....", how many times do you have to say visiting Texas Rangers? He obviously likes hearing himself talk. Honda is pretty good. For games where he is not available the Sox need to get a guy who will just announce the names and try not to be so cute. Somebody needs to tell Shaer to shut up and just say the names and read the ads.

daveeym
05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Yup, according to the Sun Times Honda "was not on the microphone Tuesday because his father, Ben Honda, was being honored by Mayor Daley at the Asian Pacific-American Heritage Reception for achievements in Chicago architecture." Gene Honda's Asian? Well I'll be damned.

ozzman
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
don't forget that pregame, when the scoreboard in left was flipping between the sox and rangers lineups, it had rangers above our lineup and white sox above theirs.

GregoryEtc
05-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Gene Honda's Asian? Well I'll be damned.

I think I saw him years ago when WGN News interviewed him or something... I was shocked too.

Can you imagine the roar from the crowd the first time we hear him say this this year?

http://static.acon.org/images/cmaa/geneHonda.jpg
"Thirty fiiiiiiive... FRAAAAAAANK Thomas!"

Heres some more info on Gene Honda:
http://www.chinesemutualaid.org/newsevent/events/lunchon2

skobabe8
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I fear the day that Gene Honda retires. :(:

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I fear the day that Gene Honda retires. :(:
Fear not. I will be available.