PDA

View Full Version : Sox on NPR Right Now!

Spicoli
05-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Story about the White Sox on NPR right now.

EDIT: Here is the link to the story (the audio will be posted after 10:00 am ET):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4656212

The Finest Nickname in Baseball

Audio for this story will be available at approx. 10:00 a.m. ET

Morning Edition (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3), May 18, 2005 Commentator Frank Deford notes that the strong start of the Chicago White Sox this year pales in comparison to their fine nickname: the Pale Hose.

Spicoli
05-18-2005, 07:53 AM
It was a reading by Frank DeFord about the White Sox success this season. Mostly it was more of a literary tribute. Much of it was in praise of the "best sports nickname" for a team, the "Palehose". He ended with asking everyone to embrace the Palehose. Itw asn't an informative piece, really. NPR does get a national audience, so that is good exposure since the other national media sources, like ESPN, either ignore us or give us bad press.

At any rate, usually NPR will post the audio stream of their stories later. If I see it, I'll post a link.

mccoydp
05-18-2005, 07:53 AM
I think I missed it...was it just local to Chicago or was it a national story?

If you don't know, forgive me, because you probably don't know if it was national.

Spicoli
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I think I missed it...was it just local to Chicago or was it a national story?

If you don't know, forgive me, because you probably don't know if it was national.

It was on Morning Edition. They usually repeat it on all NPR stations throughout the morning. So it might be replayed in the next hour.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Frank Deford is one of the finest sportswriters in the nation and has been for years. he comes from a time when being in the media was a sacred trust, unlike today for so many.

Lip

bluestar
05-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Frank Deford is one of the finest sportswriters in the nation and has been for years. he comes from a time when being in the media was a sacred trust, unlike today for so many.

Lip

Amen. I always enjoy Deford's stories.

Spicoli
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM

Lip

He has a new book out now. I too enjoy his reporting.