PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/Harold Reynolds Humiliate Themselves Yet Again

TheOldRoman
05-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Tonight on Sportscenter, Harold Reynolds was talking about the 4 biggest "surprise" pitchers of the year. Javier Vazquez was 4, Garland 3, Clement 2, and Dontrelle 1. First of all, how can anyone call Willis a surprise considering how much has has been hyped up by ESPN in particular over the last 2 years?

Anyway, now to the obligatory ridiculous comment from one of the BBTN experts.
Jon Garland is pitching great right now, but there is still a big question mark about him. Longevity. Will be be able to hold up the whole season? Will he be able to pitch 180 innings? :rolleyes:
Lets take a look see at the past:
2002 - 192.2 IP
2003 - 191.2 IP
2004 - 217.0 IP
That comment was ridiculous, asinine, shameful, and insane. This moron is paid to know baseball. I can understand not knowing the LF on the Royals, but how in the world can someone who takes pride in his craft air a segment highlighting a player without actually researching that player? Its not like he was asked an impromptu question about Garland and got his facts wrong. He wrote a segment without researching it at all.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me the least bit. Just another in the long line of ignorant, unresearched BS spewed forth by Reynolds, Tons of Fun Kruk, Mulletor, and the rest of the Sox hating tools on ESPN. If ESPN had any integrity left in its reporting, it certainly doesn't anymore. But hey, as long as they can air crappy personal interest stories, mention the Sox attendance problems every night, let personal grudges get in the way of unbiased reporting, and let Stuart Scott tell me to "holla at my boy" while rambling off rap lyrics in lieu of actual reporting or analysis, they will be fine.

HomeFish
05-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Dontrelle Willis is a surprise only to anyone who lived under a rock for the second half of 2003.

I know they want to blot the memories of the national league ballclub on the north side choking, but come on. You can't forget everything -- or can you?

ilsox7
05-18-2005, 02:00 AM
anyone who lived under a rock for the second half of 2003.

You just defined ESPN.

Palpidious
05-18-2005, 02:18 AM
dontrelle willis was sure a surprise to some guys up in an ivory tower...:cool:

TomParrish79
05-18-2005, 03:19 AM
This is almost as surprising as when someone (cant remember if it was Kurchen, Phillips, Brantley or who it was) on the BBTN B-Team said there most impressive thing was that this guy that the Sox drafted and brought up through the minors was playing so well after the organizations investment over the last few years.

Iguana775
05-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I also noticed that HR said that one of the reasons Garland is doing so well is that he is finally healthy? ***? when was he hurt? it's amazing how moronic they are some times.

SSN721
05-18-2005, 07:08 AM
The IP stat is quite idiotic, you would think that they would at least research basic stats like that and health history before making a comment about their IP and health history.

nccwsfan
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
Pretty sloppy work on ESPN's part if any of these statements are true. ESPN is entertainment, not news...

Iguana775
05-18-2005, 07:32 AM
i had to send a Just Shut Up to Mike and Mike. lol. i hope they read it on air.

I want to give a Just Shut Up to Harold Reynolds. He has been talking about Garland having endurance questions. But if he actually did his research, God forbid he would, he would have found out that he has averaged over 200 innings the last 3 years and none less than 191.2.

Iggy

Spicoli
05-18-2005, 07:39 AM
A couple of broad observations/questions:

1) If they screw up Sox reporting so frequently, I wonder how (in)accurate they are with other teams who are not the Yankees/Red Sox/sCrUBs? I mean, I wonder how many Cincinnati Reds or Toronto Blue Jays fans are bringing up similar discrepencies with ESPN's reporting as we are here?

2) Is this an indication of the wider issue of all reporting, not just sports reporting. Have the media become so complacent and assured that the audience is for the most part dumb and apathetic that they can get away with saying just about anything? If so, we're screwed as a culture.

VenturaFan23
05-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Funny you should mention Mike and Mike because this morning they had nothing but nice things to say about Garland on how he was no fluke and definitely pitcher of the year so far. So maybe they will mention your Just Shut Up Award comment.

elrod
05-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Didn't Dontrelle have a bad second half, but great first half of 2003? He wasn't even a post-season starter. Just sayin'.

mikehuff
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Tonight on Sportscenter, Harold Reynolds was talking about the 4 biggest "surprise" pitchers of the year. Javier Vazquez was 4, Garland 3, Clement 2, and Dontrelle 1. First of all, how can anyone call Willis a surprise considering how much has has been hyped up by ESPN in particular over the last 2 years?

:rolleyes:
2002 - 192.2 IP
2003 - 191.2 IP
2004 - 217.0 IP
That comment was ridiculous, asinine, shameful, and insane. This moron is paid to know baseball. I can understand not knowing the LF on the Royals, but how in the world can someone who takes pride in his craft air a segment highlighting a player without actually researching that player? Its not like he was asked an impromptu question about Garland and got his facts wrong. He wrote a segment without researching it at all.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me the least bit. Just another in the long line of ignorant, unresearched BS spewed forth by Reynolds, Tons of Fun Kruk, Mulletor, and the rest of the Sox hating tools on ESPN. If ESPN had any integrity left in its reporting, it certainly doesn't anymore. But hey, as long as they can air crappy personal interest stories, mention the Sox attendance problems every night, let personal grudges get in the way of unbiased reporting, and let Stuart Scott tell me to "holla at my boy" while rambling off rap lyrics in lieu of actual reporting or analysis, they will be fine.
Roman, I commend you on an excelent post. Everything you said is 100% accurate and totally true. Great catch.

Foulke29
05-18-2005, 08:49 AM

Anyone else take particular joy in the fact that three of the four pitchers listed there are former Cubs - and all having better seasons than the Messiah Prior.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I saw Reynolds' comments myself last night and just shook my head.

The shame of it is that Baseball Tonight at one time had some excellent people working, guys like Jim Kaat, Bill Robinson and Ray Knight. They knew their stuff but not now, now they have clowns.

The poster who said ESPN is no longer about sports but is about entertainment is right on the money. As soon as Cap Cities / ABC bought them they immediately started removing themselves from what they were created, a sports newtork, in order to try to attract a 'broader' base (or to put it another way to 'dumb' down to reach more viewers, which means higher ad rates which means more money for ABC.)

I find that I don't nearly watch ESPN as much as I used to. I prefer Comcast Sports Chicago.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Didn't Dontrelle have a bad second half, but great first half of 2003? He wasn't even a post-season starter. Just sayin'.

True. He started 1 game in the NLDS, 1 game in the NLCS, and 0 games in the WS. Of course, his good first half stuck with voters who gave him the ROTY award, despite the fact that Brandon Webb of Arizona pitched more innings and had a better ERA (2.84 for Webb, 3.30 for Willis).

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM

:rolleyes:
2002 - 192.2 IP
2003 - 191.2 IP
2004 - 217.0 IP

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me the least bit. Just another in the long line of ignorant, unresearched BS spewed forth by Reynolds, Tons of Fun Kruk, Mulletor, and the rest of the Sox hating tools on ESPN. If ESPN had any integrity left in its reporting, it certainly doesn't anymore. But hey, as long as they can air crappy personal interest stories, mention the Sox attendance problems every night, let personal grudges get in the way of unbiased reporting, and let Stuart Scott tell me to "holla at my boy" while rambling off rap lyrics in lieu of actual reporting or analysis, they will be fine.Post of the Week! :gulp:

JB98
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I couldn't believe the Reynolds comment about Garland's IP. In past years, Jon has been a lightning rod for criticism on this board. I've defended him at times, pointing out that we can count on him for 30 starts and roughly 200 innings every year. I have no idea whether Garland will continue to pitch this effectively, but I have every reason to believe he'll take the ball every fifth day and eat a lot of innings for us.

The Racehorse
05-18-2005, 12:48 PM

The shame of it is that Baseball Tonight at one time had some excellent people working, guys like Jim Kaat, Bill Robinson and Ray Knight. They knew their stuff but not now, now they have clowns.

The poster who said ESPN is no longer about sports but is about entertainment is right on the money. As soon as Cap Cities / ABC bought them they immediately started removing themselves from what they were created, a sports newtork, in order to try to attract a 'broader' base (or to put it another way to 'dumb' down to reach more viewers, which means higher ad rates which means more money for ABC.)

I find that I don't nearly watch ESPN as much as I used to. I prefer Comcast Sports Chicago.

Lip

During the 2003 & 04 seasons, I lived for BBTN. But this past off-season really showed me how shallow ESPN really is.

As Lip said, they had some solid baseball minds analyzing the highlites who didn't go for the cheap shot [like attendance]. BBTN is dead as far as I'm concerned.

NorthlakeTom
05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Garland is averaging over 7 1/3 innings per start. To reach 180, he needs to average only 5 innings per start for the rest of the season. So, what Reynolds is basically saying is that Jon will get shelled in most or all of his remaining games. Reynolds is not playing with a full deck.

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Funny you should mention Mike and Mike because this morning they had nothing but nice things to say about Garland on how he was no fluke and definitely pitcher of the year so far. So maybe they will mention your Just Shut Up Award comment.

YES, they said those things, but they also added NOTHING they hadnt already said one week ago. Their compliments lasted all of about 10 seconds and they changed the subject. After coming back from one of their many commercials, frat-boy/bookworm wanna-be Greenberg says "Welcome back to the show, we were just talking about how great Jon Garland has been ......."
Implying they were talking about him and the SOX all morning, when in fact, they were (AGAIN) talking at length about Roger Clemens and might he go to NY again. (memo to mike and mike. You talked about this all last week
and the week before-GET NEW MATERIAL) Ridiculous. The compliments about Garland, though nice to hear, were the same. Golic, the imbecile ex NFL player (though he has good nfl knowledge) talked about Garland, and sounded as if he were reading a scripted newspaper. He again added nothing new, compelling or original to the subject. Those guys are pretty darn terrible.
Tom Shaer is the unsung hero of that show ............

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Post of the Week! :gulp:

Old Roman, I agree. That was an EXCELLENT post. You found every
flaw from those idiots and disproved it. Good Job. Sox Fans are the most knowledgable in baseball

Stroker Ace
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
BBTN just keeps lowering the bar. I'm not the least bit surprised at their horrible inaccuracies.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Post of the Week! :gulp:
Old Roman, I agree. That was an EXCELLENT post. You found every
flaw from those idiots and disproved it. Good Job. Sox Fans are the most knowledgable in baseball

:redface: You guys really know how to make a guy feel special.

FarWestChicago
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
The poster who said ESPN is no longer about sports but is about entertainment is right on the money. As soon as Cap Cities / ABC bought them they immediately started removing themselves from what they were created, a sports newtork, in order to try to attract a 'broader' base (or to put it another way to 'dumb' down to reach more viewers, which means higher ad rates which means more money for ABC.)Good point, Lip. Maybe that was when ESPN became complete tabloid garbage. They've been a trash house for so many years, I forgot about the acquisition point.

buehrle4cy05
05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm getting tired of ESPN not having enough knowledge about teams not known as the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies. Maybe if they hired some people who actually had some contact with other teams from other areas (say, the middle of the country) they would be better. How about hiring Robin Ventura as an analyst on BBTN or as an announcer? He did a great job in the few games I saw him do this year. Problem is, he played for the Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers, so they probably would only focus on that part of his career.

JB98
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm getting tired of ESPN not having enough knowledge about teams not known as the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies. Maybe if they hired some people who actually had some contact with other teams from other areas (say, the middle of the country) they would be better. How about hiring Robin Ventura as an analyst on BBTN or as an announcer? He did a great job in the few games I saw him do this year. Problem is, he played for the Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers, so they probably would only focus on that part of his career.

I don't think Robin wants the job....

Soxzilla
05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Don't worry guys, even if Jon Garland doesn't last 180 innings like most unproven pitchers do, we can still rely on the incredible offense from Walnuts. At least, according to Harold Reynolds we can!

Cowhead418
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
When they were talking about Garland's health and longevity, I thought they were accidently talking about Kerry Wood. What other pitcher would you be worried about in terms of his health and being able to pitch 180 innings? But Garland? Where the hell did that come from? That was a very unintelligent comment.

OzzieBall2004
05-19-2005, 12:10 AM
While most of what they say is mindless BS, Karl Ravech did say something to the effect of, "book his plane ticket to Detroit, HE'S an All Star!" when talking about Konerko during Touch Em All.

With his low average, I'd hardly say he's a lock so I was surprised. When you consider that Sweeney, Sexson, Martinez, and Teixiera all have comparable numbers, it was a pretty bold call by Ravech.

tstrike2000
05-19-2005, 12:15 AM

The poster who said ESPN is no longer about sports but is about entertainment is right on the money.

Absolutely. Back in the 80's and into the mid 90's Sportscenter was awesome, Baseball Tonight coverage was great. WAS great, now the guys they have doing baseball analysis shouldn't even be covering a kid's tee ball league. Politics and entertainment dollar have taken over. ESPN has two channels, ESPN classic, made for ESPN movies, etc. The level of ridiculousness keeps growing. The big misconception is that ESPN thinks it can put some former mediocre to bad player into the broadcast booth or to be an analyst and call them an "expert." May as well reincarnate the Three Stooges to do Baseball Tonight or Laurel & Hardy doing their "Who's On First" skit. Not only would it be more entertaining but probably more insightful, too.

TheOldRoman
05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
While most of what they say is mindless BS, Karl Ravech did say something to the effect of, "book his plane ticket to Detroit, HE'S an All Star!" when talking about Konerko during Touch Em All.

With his low average, I'd hardly say he's a lock so I was surprised. When you consider that Sweeney, Sexson, Martinez, and Teixiera all have comparable numbers, it was a pretty bold call by Ravech.
It was anything but a bold call. Harold Reynolds decided to start hyping up Konerko for some reason at the beginning of the year, remarking "how did this guy not make the All Star team last year?" after every one of his homers. It looks like Ravech has joined in. Reynolds has been saying all along how "Konerko is carrying the Sox" and other ignorant stuff like that. The fact is, they look for homers and RBI in the box score, and nothing else. They dont research enough to know that Konerko is having a horrible season so far.

Wsoxmike59
05-19-2005, 06:26 AM
May as well reincarnate the Three Stooges to do Baseball Tonight or Laurel & Hardy doing their "Who's On First" skit. Not only would it be more entertaining but probably more insightful, too.

Your dead on correct with the sentiments of your post tstrike2000, but I must add that it was Abbott and Costello who did the "Who's On First" skit.

OzzieBall2004
05-19-2005, 07:31 AM
It was anything but a bold call. Harold Reynolds decided to start hyping up Konerko for some reason at the beginning of the year, remarking "how did this guy not make the All Star team last year?" after every one of his homers. It looks like Ravech has joined in. Reynolds has been saying all along how "Konerko is carrying the Sox" and other ignorant stuff like that. The fact is, they look for homers and RBI in the box score, and nothing else. They dont research enough to know that Konerko is having a horrible season so far.

Bold moves can also be dumb moves. I wasnt patting him on the back, I waas just pointing out that it surprised me.

If you look at AL first baseman, no one has really seperated themself from the rest, so regardless of Paulies average, he is in the running even with him "horrible" start.