PDA

View Full Version : North Side WSI bar for Scrub series?

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Is there a bar on the north side where WSIers can gather for this weekend's series against the Blue Empire? I think it would be fun to overrun a bar in enemy territory for the games. There was a thread recently that discussed Sox-friendly bars, I think Nick's Uptown and Lucky Strike were mentioned. Nick's is a bit close to The Urinal, parking may be very tight....Lucky Strike is a bit further away.....

Any suggestions? We should decend on the bar Friday afternoon in Sox gear and let them know we are:
:army
(what happened to the other Sox Army thingy?)

SaltyPretzel
05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/215894,0,3710033.event?coll=mmx-home_top_hedsh2o

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 09:03 AM
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/215894,0,3710033.event?coll=mmx-home_top_hedsh2o
Sounds like a plan! I'll try to make it.:smile:

daveeym
05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a plan! I'll try to make it.:smile: Crush on Halsted just north of Diversey is having a Sox Saturday. $2 drafts $10 lite buckets $4 mixed drinks and 2 for 1 appetizers for those in Sox gear (I'm sure it would be for all). I know the owners, good guys there and they have a bunch of plasmas in back. Probably won't be a huge crowd which allows for you to throw your own party basiclly. They're more of a dj, live music venue for thu-sat, but also great for watching games.

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Kickass! I didn't know Crush was a Sox bar.

Cool story: I was at Schuba's last night to see a band and checking the Sox game the whole time, which they had on both screens. Both the bartenders were Sox fans. That's rare!

skottyj242
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Is there a bar on the north side where WSIers can gather for this weekend's series against the Blue Empire? I think it would be fun to overrun a bar in enemy territory for the games. There was a thread recently that discussed Sox-friendly bars, I think Nick's Uptown and Lucky Strike were mentioned. Nick's is a bit close to The Urinal, parking may be very tight....Lucky Strike is a bit further away.....

Any suggestions? We should decend on the bar Friday afternoon in Sox gear and let them know we are:
:army
(what happened to the other Sox Army thingy?)

Were you talking about Nick's on Milwaukee? That's nowhere near the Shrine, that's right around the corner from my place. I would love to meet up with some of you guys but I want absolutely no part of Wrigleyville this weekend.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Crush on Halsted just north of Diversey is having a Sox Saturday. $2 drafts $10 lite buckets $4 mixed drinks and 2 for 1 appetizers for those in Sox gear (I'm sure it would be for all). I know the owners, good guys there and they have a bunch of plasmas in back. Probably won't be a huge crowd which allows for you to throw your own party basiclly. They're more of a dj, live music venue for thu-sat, but also great for watching games.

It's not very close to Cub Park. Which is probably a good thing, just FYI

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
No, there's another Nick's at Sheridan and Irving, right across from the other Holiday Club, LOL.

Sounds like Crush is the place to go.

skottyj242
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Sheridan and Irving? That's way too north for me. On Saturday I'll probably be at Lottie's in Bucktown.

Realist
05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
No, there's another Nick's at Sheridan and Irving, right across from the other Holiday Club, LOL.

Sounds like Crush is the place to go.

That's correct. I'm the general manager/head bartender of Nick's Uptown and we are very White Sox friendly.:smile:

We don't open til 4pm but we're open 'til 4am every nite except Saturdays when we stay open 'til 5am. Bring your sun glasses. :cool:

It looks like Crush is putting together a pretty good bash.

btw... there's only one Holiday Club now and it's the one at Irving and Sheridan. The owner sold the one in Wicker Park and now it's a yuppie tequilla bar.:mad:

skottyj242
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
That tequilla bar is right around the corner from me, I've never went in but it just look like it sucks.

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
What?!! The original Holiday Club is gone? RIP... :(:

I'll be at Crush on Saturday if I can't get into the game. Us Northside Sox fans need some kind of safe refuge...

daveeym
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Sounds like Crush is the place to go. I'll mimick realist, Crush is White Sox friendly and leans towards the sox I'd say.

It's also northside, not in the heart of wrigleyville, but still pretty close. You get plenty of spill over down to that area for big cubs weekends and on friday nights. Half the stadium stumbles down to durkins on fridays for the all you can drink for $10 from 5-8, or $20 from 5-10.

So with a whitesox winner plenty of scrubs fans will be around to mock after the game.

skottyj242
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I love Durkin's in the winter when all the college kids have gone back to school and you stroll in there on a Friday night at five, plop down on a barstool and drink drafts until they cut you off. If you get there right at five there's usually Domino's pizza for you.

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Durkins, LMAO. What a hellhole.

Here's to hoping the Sox win and the sad-sack Cub fans will have nothing to say when they see the Sox jersey...

billnahorodny
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Cool story: I was at Schuba's last night to see a band and checking the Sox game the whole time, which they had on both screens. Both the bartenders were Sox fans. That's rare!

My Saturday plans got cancelled...but I still felt like watching the game out someplace. This is usually a frustrating process of begging some clueless Cubbie bartender to find the Sox game and then later having to defend "why the **** is the Sox game on" to some drunk Cubbie moron. Since Schuba's is only a couple blocks from my place and it's not really a sports bar and it was still early, I figured it was a good choice. How surprised was I to find the bartender as well as the majority of people in there watching the game WITH THE SOUND ON! The girl behind the bar told me that one of the two owners is a Sox fan and all the bartenders are! I'll definitely be back there.

LVSoxFan
05-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Ha! You probably saw me then, because I was watching. Yeah, that was great.

And it was great that the bartenders were into it, too. I'll have to remember that. I missed a good chunk of the band's set watching the game.

daveeym
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Durkins, LMAO. What a hellhole.

Here's to hoping the Sox win and the sad-sack Cub fans will have nothing to say when they see the Sox jersey... Hey durkins fills its purpose perfectly. To get TRASHED on the cheap.

joe_tansey2004
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
$10 miller lite buckets.....hell yeah i'll be up there, with my St. Paddy's Day Sox jersey.

fox23
05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Since a couple of guys have thrown out different bars in this post and others, is there kinda a master list or something to that extent for good places to watch a Sox game up on the northside/Wrigleyville area? I'm looking for any old time, not just this weekend. I can't stand going to a bar anymore and having 10 TVs on the Cubs and if I'm lucky 1 in the corner with the Sox.

kittle42
05-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Since a couple of guys have thrown out different bars in this post and others, is there kinda a master list or something to that extent for good places to watch a Sox game up on the northside/Wrigleyville area? I'm looking for any old time, not just this weekend. I can't stand going to a bar anymore and having 10 TVs on the Cubs and if I'm lucky 1 in the corner with the Sox.

I had to go eat at Lucky Strike last night (they have a Sox flag flying out front) after bw3, which has like 20 TVs, refused to put on anything but the Cubs and basketball.

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, I'm going to try to get to Crush for Friday's game. I'm tied up on Saturday.

chaz171
05-18-2005, 03:36 PM
That's correct. I'm the general manager/head bartender of Nick's Uptown and we are very White Sox friendly.:smile:

We don't open til 4pm but we're open 'til 4am every nite except Saturdays when we stay open 'til 5am. Bring your sun glasses. :cool:

It looks like Crush is putting together a pretty good bash.

btw... there's only one Holiday Club now and it's the one at Irving and Sheridan. The owner sold the one in Wicker Park and now it's a yuppie tequilla bar.:mad:

I will definitely keep this in mind... cool!

I don't think that my personae accomodates a bar called 'crush'.... no offense intended.

fox23
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
I had to go eat at Lucky Strike last night (they have a Sox flag flying out front) after bw3, which has like 20 TVs, refused to put on anything but the Cubs and basketball.

Yeah, one time when I was there they had every tv but 2 on the Cubs game, with the last 2 on an Indians game and they still refused to switch any of them to the Sox.

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Thought since were on the topic, this is a very SOX FRIENDLY Bars

CRUSH
2843 N. Halsted
773-528-7569

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 05:09 PM
NICKS UPTOWN
Sheridan & Irving Pk Rd.
Just a few blocks North of the Urinal

say hello to Realist while your there ......

voodoochile
05-18-2005, 05:10 PM
NICKS UPTOWN
Sheridan & Irving Pk Rd.
Just a few blocks south of the Urinal

say hello to Realist while your there ......

I think you mean NORTH of the Urinal...

ChicagoHoosier
05-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Anyone going to either of these bars BEFORE the game on Friday?

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
I started a thread "North Side WSI bar for Scrub series?" in the Cubhouse yesterday. Merger?

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Anyone going to either of these bars BEFORE the game on Friday?
I worried about the parking situation around Nick's, it's close to the urinal. Crush might be slightly better even though it is in the bad part of town.

Hangar18
05-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Thats what I was trying to do ........ Putting a Master List of North Side SOX FRIENDLY Bars.

ma_deuce
05-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Thats what I was trying to do ........ Putting a Master List of North Side SOX FRIENDLY Bars.

You'd have better luck finding a needle in a haystack. I can count North Side Sox friendly bars on one hand. In fact, I only have to use one finger. Guess which one. :cuss:

Best bet is to go to a nice South Side bar, have a few reasonably priced beers, and enjoy the game amongst friends. Besides, it real dangerous in Wrigleyville. You're liable to get yourself shot by a raging Cubs fan, and no one would even know because the Tribune would stash the article deep inside the Metro section under the snails.

:giantsnail

daveeym
05-18-2005, 05:43 PM
For those of you talking about heading to Crush that deal is for Saturday and you may want to call and see what's up for Friday. They may not even be open early enough for an afternoon game. 773-528-7569

mack10zie
05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I say we all all just roll up to the Cubby Bear or something with like 20 people in Sox jerseys... did that for a Wisconsin/Illinois game with like 5 other Badger fans and it was pretty fun although I would imagine that this rivalry ups the ante a bit from Badger/Illini bball.

jackbrohamer
05-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I think you mean NORTH of the Urinal...

If he's from Chicago, it's nort' of the Urinal

Realist
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
I worried about the parking situation around Nick's, it's close to the urinal. Crush might be slightly better even though it is in the bad part of town.

This much is true. The parking by us (Nick's Uptown - 4 blocks nort' of the the Urinal) is terrible. It's not so bad at nite or when the Cubs are outta town. Then you can park along Irving Park by the cemetary with no problem and you're only a couple of blocks from the bar.

Even though we have 4 27" TVs and one big screen, we're not really a sports bar. We do, however, always have the games on when they're on.

We don't open until 4 pm so it would be impossible to stop by before the games. We do open at 4 and we do get a little bit of Cubs traffic after their games, but it's usually the more adult type people that don't want to deal with the circus that surrounds the Urinal.

I probably won't be around just after the games this weekend, but you never know. I'll instruct the bartenders to buy anybody in Sox gear that says that they're a "friend of Realist" a shot or a beer if any of you decide to stop by after the games.
:gulp:

A side note: Last Friday nite we had 12 people in the bar with Sox stuff on and only one guy wearing a blue Cubs jersey. I told him, "Hey! Three big white buttons on that thing and you can be Bozo!"
:rolleyes:

kj.hayes
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Crush might be slightly better even though it is in the bad part of town.

Huh?

I've only been to the Lucky Strike a couple times, most recently for last Sunday's game against Baltimore, always had a good experience with the patrons, staff, etc.

Never been to Nick's, but might have to try it, it's not far from my own neighborhood.

"Crush" sounds kind of dance-clubby.

soxwon
05-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Teasers on Higgins just east of harlem, ive been told is a sox oriented bar.
if anyone wants to meet friday after work to watch the last innings there, im game.

DumpJerry
05-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Huh?

I've only been to the Lucky Strike a couple times, most recently for last Sunday's game against Baltimore, always had a good experience with the patrons, staff, etc.

Never been to Nick's, but might have to try it, it's not far from my own neighborhood.

My bad. I meant that it was a bad part of town for locating legal parking.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-19-2005, 12:00 AM

'crush' might be the second worst bar in chicago to 'blue'