PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame 13, USC 6

Viva Medias B's
05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
I just got back from Notre Dame where I saw the first six innings of Notre Dame's 13-6 victory (http://und.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2004-2005/usc-1.html) over USC. The Irish battered (http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051705aaa.html) Trojan pitching all night. It was quite an atomsphere at Frank Eck Stadium tonight, despite the fact that the game was not sold out. I am not a fan (or hater) of either team, but I knew this would be a great matchup of two major programs ─ not to mention the football-transcended ND-USC rivalry. Even though the pitching on both sides was bad (somewhat typical with "midweek" starters going), it was a great college baseball atomsphere. The two teams conclude the series tomorrow night.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
As a student, I have gotten in free to ND baseball games over the last few years. They are a ton of fun - especially knowing guys on the team.

I had to watch tonight's game on the WebCast, but it looked like a nice win. ND certainly has some offense this year, but we lost a lot in last year's draft. It is going to take a Big East Tournament win to continue our season, but we should be pretty nasty next season.

The guy to watch for ND will be Jeff Samardzija. Jeff is also a WR on the football team, but his best sport is baseball. He had a teriffic showing as a freshman last year, and is 6-1 as a soph this year. Could he be the next Sox football player draft choice??

mjmcend
05-18-2005, 03:06 AM
As a student, I have gotten in free to ND baseball games over the last few years. They are a ton of fun - especially knowing guys on the team.

I had to watch tonight's game on the WebCast, but it looked like a nice win. ND certainly has some offense this year, but we lost a lot in last year's draft. It is going to take a Big East Tournament win to continue our season, but we should be pretty nasty next season.

The guy to watch for ND will be Jeff Samardzija. Jeff is also a WR on the football team, but his best sport is baseball. He had a teriffic showing as a freshman last year, and is 6-1 as a soph this year. Could he be the next Sox football player draft choice??

Samardzija is done with football now in order to concentrate fully on baseball. And that is too bad for Charlie Weis and crew since he was the only receivor worth a darn in the bowl game this year (although Rhema will be good for 2 more years).

It is always great to see ND beat USC in anything, too bad I couldn't make it tonight as I was saying goodbye to friends and all that stuff that comes with graduating. But going to ND baseball games and tailgaiting before them, then heckling the other team was one of my true highlights of my time at ND. I guarentee that Pat LeMasters of Cincinnati will never forget the home opener at ND this year, thanks to us.

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I just got back from Notre Dame where I saw the first six innings of Notre Dame's 13-6 victory (http://und.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2004-2005/usc-1.html) over USC. The Irish battered (http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051705aaa.html) Trojan pitching all night. It was quite an atomsphere at Frank Eck Stadium tonight, despite the fact that the game was not sold out. I am not a fan (or hater) of either team, but I knew this would be a great matchup of two major programs ─ not to mention the football-transcended ND-USC rivalry. Even though the pitching on both sides was bad (somewhat typical with "midweek" starters going), it was a great college baseball atomsphere. The two teams conclude the series tomorrow night.

I'm going to assume you meant to use teal when you said "two" major programs. Let's compare:

USC 12 national titles, 21 appearances in the CWS.

ND 0 national titles, 1 appearance in the CWS.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm going to assume you meant to use teal when you said "two" major programs. Let's compare:

USC 12 national titles, 21 appearances in the CWS.

ND 0 national titles, 1 appearance in the CWS.

Well, you have an argument there. Actually, ND has two CWS appearances (1957 being the first one). I'm not a Notre Dame program, but they are probably the biggest college baseball program in the Midwest (other than Nebraska and Wichita State). On those grounds, I consider them at least a mid-major.

AZChiSoxFan
05-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Well, you have an argument there. Actually, ND has two CWS appearances (1957 being the first one). I'm not a Notre Dame program, but they are probably the biggest college baseball program in the Midwest (other than Nebraska and Wichita State). On those grounds, I consider them at least a mid-major.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It seems like THE Ohio State U was pretty good for a few years in a row in recent years. IIRC, they even hosted a regional. Looks like U of I will take the Big 10 though this year.